Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is this funny at all?
It's mildly funnier than jokes about yeti or aliens, and equally not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

The gear wasn't stuck under a mass of snow and ice. It was right on the surface where the search parties found it. You can see the remains of the tent in the pictures. It's drifted over, but even after almost a month, it's still perfectly visible. It being buried would have been a sign of an avalanche, that was what they expected, they didn't find that.

And they didn't go to the treeline in a group, they went in at least 3 separate groups down to the trees, two of which survived long enough to start building fires, taking usable gear off their dead friends, climb trees for visibility/kindling, etc. The groups did not make an effort to link up, though it's hard to know when each group died.

Only at the very end of their lives did anyone try to go back, but none of them made it. The entire time the survivors of the physical trauma were dying of exposure around makeshift fires, their tent and gear, including a stove, were just up the slope, but only at the very end of their lives did anyone even try to go back.

Right but "on the surface" in calm sunny conditions with well equipped not freaked out searchers may be downright impossible to reach in dark windy naked and afraid conditions

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Epitope posted:

Right but "on the surface" in calm sunny conditions with well equipped not freaked out searchers may be downright impossible to reach in dark windy naked and afraid conditions

The point is, there was no sign of an avalanche at their location, literally none. As in, their camp was only buried by drifting snow, not a small avalanche, not a big avalanche, not a slab avalanche. When they edited the tent, there's no evidence that it was covered at all.

The article just says that an avalanche was possible, which is a contradiction of previous conventional wisdom about the slope not being steep enough, and that the injuries were consistent with a slab avalanche, but they have to twist themselves into some interesting knots to have some people fine and some people sleeping next to them bashed to hell.

They literally don't even mention a possible solution for how all evidence of an avalanche strong enough to kill several people just up and disappears, leaving no trace. Just absolutely hand wave it away to say "MYSTERY SOLVED?" like comes up every year or two when some site needs some good clickbait.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epitope posted:

Lol, lots of people have climbed Everest, but how many people have climbed it.. naked? :mmmsmug:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

The point is, there was no sign of an avalanche at their location, literally none. As in, their camp was only buried by drifting snow, not a small avalanche, not a big avalanche, not a slab avalanche. When they edited the tent, there's no evidence that it was covered at all.

The article just says that an avalanche was possible, which is a contradiction of previous conventional wisdom about the slope not being steep enough, and that the injuries were consistent with a slab avalanche, but they have to twist themselves into some interesting knots to have some people fine and some people sleeping next to them bashed to hell.

They literally don't even mention a possible solution for how all evidence of an avalanche strong enough to kill several people just up and disappears, leaving no trace. Just absolutely hand wave it away to say "MYSTERY SOLVED?" like comes up every year or two when some site needs some good clickbait.

The avalanche chunks were small enough the army yetis could clean them up once the wind died down

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Epitope posted:

The avalanche chunks were small enough the army yetis could clean them up once the wind died down

you really don't need an army, just a couple of those ufos with the beam on them, just pick them up and drop them a half mile away, no one's gonna suspect a thing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe drunk alien teenagers just flew by and decided to do the xeno equivalent of cow tipping?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe drunk alien teenagers just flew by and decided to do the xeno equivalent of cow tipping?

if it was aliens, they'd have turned them into pillars of salt like they did to those soviet soldiers...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Azathoth posted:

if it was aliens, they'd have turned them into pillars of salt like they did to those soviet soldiers...

Ya that's what I'm saying, they're just drunk and out for a thrill, not professional xenoproctologists.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

I got no :horse: in this race, but looking at the picture from the search crew of the tent shows quite a lot (almost a half meter) of snow on and around the tent. It doesn't look drifted over to me: it looks like they're hardened chunks of compacted snow with some wind sculpting. Snow doesn't collect in chunks; it has to be chunked. Wind sculpting is almost entirely erosive, operating by sublimation.

And as far as interesting knots go, injuries are highly circumstantial: people can remain totally unscathed in disasters where others are torn to pieces or bashed into pulp.

I mean it is a clicky-baity article and the research is a little fly-by-night, but so what? It's a reasonable, evidence-supported, and plausible explanation where none existed before.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Definitely saw a video on this suggesting that they had brought a stove with them to use inside the tent (which I think was established as fact?)

The theory was then that they messed up the ventilation and had scrambled out of the tent with carbon monoxide poisoning, which is why they were so desparate to get out and behaving so irrationally.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think a slab avalanche having happened is possible, the model proves that, but "a model said it could happen" is a long ways from "this is what happened". Saying that it definitely did happen then requires an explanation for why none of the search and rescue team saw evidence of it. They were the ones who searched through and packed up the tent and the rest of their poo poo, if there was a slab avalanche pushed over the top of the tent, don't ya think they would have noticed that?

This kind of article pops up with regards to all kinds of odd happenings. It's like a few years ago when someone said that ocean farts are behind ship disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle*. Someone came up with a novel computer model and suddenly it's bad science and clickbait headlines. They proved it was theoretically possible for methane to bubble up from the ocean floor and reduce the buoyancy of water and make a ship sink. Every pop-sci site on the web tosses up a lazy MYSTERY SOLVED? headline, ignoring that not a single ship has ever been shown to have been sunk because of that. Nor has the phenomena ever been observed to the degree necessary to sink a ship.

Just loving bad journalism using questionable science and overselling what computer modelling actually shows.

*just to be clear, the Bermuda Triangle doesn't exist, it's no more dangerous there than any other randomly chosen section of well-traveled ocean, but that's beside the point.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Just loving bad journalism using questionable science and overselling what computer modelling actually shows.

This is deffo a thing that happens and is a huge huge problem even with people who should know better (the scientists who use computer modeling). Interestingly, it's almost never a problem for the scientists who create the computer models because they know the model is not the thing.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

Definitely saw a video on this suggesting that they had brought a stove with them to use inside the tent (which I think was established as fact?)

The theory was then that they messed up the ventilation and had scrambled out of the tent with carbon monoxide poisoning, which is why they were so desparate to get out and behaving so irrationally.

They did have a stove but it was found disassembled (which is what they would have done after cooking), as it was apparently a pain in the rear end to take apart and put back together, so at a minimum it wasn't running when they exited the tent. It was also apparently a pain in the rear end to assemble and disassemble, taking literally a couple of hours each way according to other folks who used something similar.

I've seen a theory that the precipitating event was a fire in the tent caused by a smoldering ember causing a panic...but that then leaves the physical trauma and why they'd run way the gently caress away instead of stopping shortly after exiting the tent and getting clear of the fire. Carbon monoxide poisoning might go some distance to explain why they'd freak out, but even if all that is accepted as fact, it leaves the folks who didn't die of exposure completely unexplained.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

emf posted:

This is deffo a thing that happens and is a huge huge problem even with people who should know better (the scientists who use computer modeling). Interestingly, it's almost never a problem for the scientists who create the computer models because they know the model is not the thing.

Yeah, I should be clear on this. The model is really interesting, and I like that it shows that an avalanche was possible, against the conventional wisdom that it wasn't. I am not in any way tossing shade at that. Honestly, it probably is a piece of the puzzle in some way. Maybe a threat of an avalanche forced them out of their tent real quick. Not sure exactly how they'd know that all buttoned up in there, but yeah, that is now completely on the table. But what it isn't, is a full explanation of what happened.

Edit: sorry for the flurry of posts, I'll lay off now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeti farts.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My favorite line in the article is the very last line where it specifically calls out that it's just a possible theory.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They did it to themselves. Someone or a group went crazy and slashed their way out of a tent, then beat and drove off the others, presumably with a hammer. It explains slashing the tent, everyone scattering in a hurry, the blunt trauma injuries, and the sane group not returning to camp or linking up with another group.

There are two things to work out here. One, the blunt force injuries were very bad, but I propose that a madman jumping up and down on your chest while swinging climbing equipment can look like avalanche damage.

Secondly, what caused it? Tainted food? Underground gas release? Stumbling into a soviet chemical weapons test? Mountain madness?

There was a "yeti" it was just one or more of the climbers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Epitope posted:

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously aliens

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's mildly funnier than jokes about yeti or aliens, and equally not true.

“Joke” racism/antisemitism is functionally same as the real thing.
It’s certainly not something a normal or intelligent person would say.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ummm.... Have you read the news lately?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dyatlov pass is interesting because they were all competent outdoors people and any sort of explanation can't be that they just got scared of something and all ran out to die. They'd of known leaving the shelter would = death.

Astonishing legends did a really good podcast episode on it and went over their backgrounds and it was nice to get details about the hikers. I think all documentaries I've watched they just show the pics of them dead which is gross and barely bother mentioning who they were.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 3, 2021

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Azathoth posted:

they went in at least 3 separate groups down to the trees
That's possible, but we don't know that for certain.

Anyhow, a new book about the Dyatlov Pass Incident just dropped over the weekend. The second author is the admin of dyatlovpass.com, the best English-language website about the Incident I've ever encountered.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Psfftt, the Dyatlov Pass is for boring old losers, the Khamar Daban incident is what all the cool kids are talking about. 6 people on a remote mountain range all start dropping dead, bleeding from their eyes, ears and mouth. No decent explanation has ever been offered.

TW- some brief shots of the aftermath and the bodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Zm9WV1kOI

https://hotfishing.ru/en/zagadochnaya-gibel-alpinistov-na-perevale-hamar-daban-poslednii-pohod/

quote:

On the morning of August 5, they were getting ready to go, when suddenly at about 11 o'clock one of the guys started to foam from his mouth, bleeding from his ears. In front of everyone's eyes, Alexander K-in became ill, and he died suddenly, - said Leonid Izmailov. After that, according to the surviving Valentina U-ko, complete chaos began in the group. “Denis began to hide behind the stones and run away, Tatyana banged her head against the stones, Victoria and Timur were probably crazy. Lyudmila Ivanovna died of a heart attack ”- such data were recorded in the report on search and rescue and transportation operations from the words of the surviving girl.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Not sure if this is related to that incident, but I've heard one of the ways you can die at high altitudes is "atmospheric drop". That's definitely not the scientific term, but how I remember it. Basically from one minute to the next the atmospheres can drop and you're suddenly in an environment that's pressure-wise a couple of thousand feet more elevated than it was before.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

The Qanon congress lady had some old posts dug up ranting about Jewish space lasers causing forest fires as some sort of scheme to lower costs for public transportation. I suspect the poster was joking about that.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
“Why leave the tent” is a bigger mystery than what ended up happening to them and nothing I’ve seen put forward comes close to a rational explanation. Saying they just “acted irrationally” isn’t good enough when none of the theories about what caused them to act that way would actually cause experienced climbers such as them to flee immediately as they did. So not just why did they leave the tent, why did they leave the tent in such a hasty fashion, whereby they ended up needing to strip the clothes from their dead- ignoring what even killed them in the first place.

There was no safer place to be than the tent unless the tent itself became a place of legitimate danger, and they all knew that.

As a self taught psychologist I’m a super smart guy so I think it was swamp gas that made them go cuckoo crazy and act against all rationality but I’m also a really funny guy so I’ll say a wizard did it, lol

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The Qanon congress lady had some old posts dug up ranting about Jewish space lasers causing forest fires as some sort of scheme to lower costs for public transportation. I suspect the poster was joking about that.

Cool, Qanon in the Everest thread. I guess this is why people are always rightly calling for this thread to be gassed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Someone put too many mushrooms/LSD in the food and they all succumbed to collective mind fuckery.

There, literally explains everything, is plausible and includes optional yeti hallucinations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is this funny at all?

It’s a reference to a current event that a member of the United States Congress (Marjorie Greene, R-GA) has publicly stated her belief that a Jewish Space LASER caused the 2018 Camp Fire in California.

It will stop being funny in about a month, just like the (((echoes))).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 3, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Quite. I was mocking those who believe it was yetis or UFOs by suggesting the also stupid, and currently topical, said space laser. For the sake of avoiding any confusion; I have never been, am not, or ever will be, a Qanon believer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cool, Qanon in the Everest thread. I guess this is why people are always rightly calling for this thread to be gassed
How dare people laugh at dumb people in this thread about laughing at dumb people.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

“Why leave the tent” is a bigger mystery than what ended up happening to them and nothing I’ve seen put forward comes close to a rational explanation. Saying they just “acted irrationally” isn’t good enough when none of the theories about what caused them to act that way would actually cause experienced climbers such as them to flee immediately as they did. So not just why did they leave the tent, why did they leave the tent in such a hasty fashion, whereby they ended up needing to strip the clothes from their dead- ignoring what even killed them in the first place.

There was no safer place to be than the tent unless the tent itself became a place of legitimate danger, and they all knew that.

As a self taught psychologist I’m a super smart guy so I think it was swamp gas that made them go cuckoo crazy and act against all rationality but I’m also a really funny guy so I’ll say a wizard did it, lol

I like the explanation of some sort of parachute mine which would be plenty to terrify a bunch of hikers into fleeing from their tent if they hit by a concussive blast and a poo poo ton of light from a explosion suddenly.

The military were testing them in the area so it's not an absoloutly crazy theory.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

its funny how after years of readinf the everest threads i can just jump to the end without reading and go "oh its the russian hikers that froze part" and jump right in

when people slowly freeze to death the final phase is "go crazy and party naked." That's it. Their eyes and tongues were eaten cause that and the genitals are the first parts to get scavenged because they're soft and nutritious

polar explorers have had similar naked parties before expiring

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Yuba County Five is more interesting that the Dyatlov Pass incident. :can:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This sounds like a good time as ever to plug season 1 of The Terror. In the middle of nowhere, cold as gently caress, and going absolutely insane from scurvy and lack of provisions doesn't make for a good time. Of course you then add in the spooky Inuit polar spirit that fucks your day up and you got yourself a stew.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

This sounds like a good time as ever to plug season 1 of The Terror. In the middle of nowhere, cold as gently caress, and going absolutely insane from scurvy and lack of provisions doesn't make for a good time. Of course you then add in the spooky Inuit polar spirit that fucks your day up and you got yourself a stew.

Season 1 of The Terror rules

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rondette posted:

Psfftt, the Dyatlov Pass is for boring old losers, the Khamar Daban incident is what all the cool kids are talking about. 6 people on a remote mountain range all start dropping dead, bleeding from their eyes, ears and mouth. No decent explanation has ever been offered.

TW- some brief shots of the aftermath and the bodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Zm9WV1kOI

https://hotfishing.ru/en/zagadochnaya-gibel-alpinistov-na-perevale-hamar-daban-poslednii-pohod/

proclick

also, wtf :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

I like the explanation of some sort of parachute mine which would be plenty to terrify a bunch of hikers into fleeing from their tent if they hit by a concussive blast and a poo poo ton of light from a explosion suddenly.

The military were testing them in the area so it's not an absoloutly crazy theory.

This is the solution that I tend to think is right.

Either they strayed into some test in an area the military thought was empty and got killed by accident or (less likely imo) the military saw a bunch of people somewhere they shouldn't have been and thought it was something nefarious and made an air attack, which killed some of them and forced the rest away.

Then, once they realized their mistake, they went into cover-up mode. Not a perfect theory either, but it does help to explain a lot of the more puzzling aspects (radiation, heavy physical trauma, the fact that the military really did appear to be covering up something, etc.)