Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

bobjr posted:

I would have loved it if Cloud mentioned to Barrett or Tifa later he fought an evil house and they don’t believe him.

Or have them be like "Oh poo poo, the evil house is actually real? We thought that was an urban legend."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bobjr posted:

I would have loved it if Cloud mentioned to Barrett or Tifa later he fought an evil house and they don’t believe him.

Barret just rolls his eyes and shouts "Hey Tifa! Soldier Boy didn't know about the Evil Houses!" and they laugh and laugh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Barrett pulls out the tiny Hell House that lives in his hair.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hell House is legit the best boss fight in the game.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Barret just rolls his eyes and shouts "Hey Tifa! Soldier Boy didn't know about the Evil Houses!" and they laugh and laugh.

Yeah this is more my thinking, that living in the slums with the dregs of Shinra using them as a dumping ground, they'll have seen far worse than that. Probably get more scared by the tonberries...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SirSamVimes posted:

Hell House is great but there are so many other fantastic bosses that I really can't put Hell House that high. The comical factor is amazing, but the actual fight is only pretty good imo.

Whereas most of the bosses in the final chapters completely blew me away. The Rufus fight still gets at me for how fun it was and I can't wait to see how many more fights get the same level of treatment.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SirSamVimes posted:

I see a lot of people complaining about it, but I 100% agree with this. From the mechanics to the music to the commentry, it's great.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Hell House is the first time Hard mode made me sweat. I had to do some serious analysis of my materia load-out, and I slammed my head against that fight maybe six or seven times before I got the right combo, but when I did, oh man was it so gratifying.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I hope they turn that Triceratops-Motorcycle monster into a boss fight ala the hell house

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I hope they turn that Triceratops-Motorcycle monster into a boss fight ala the hell house

Also Ghost Ship

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hell House is kind of annoying if you don't know you're in for a magic fight and only have two elements equipped. I still got it in one but it took a long-rear end time.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

exquisite tea posted:

Hell House is kind of annoying if you don't know you're in for a magic fight and only have two elements equipped. I still got it in one but it took a long-rear end time.

This was me and I'll be damned if I was going to restart because I had the wrong loadout.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think the character arc I'm most interested in seeing across FFVIIR is Johnny's. He's absolutely the most improved character in that he's gone from nothing to actually likable and memorable.

I wonder if it's gonna end up like Xenosaga where in the third game he becomes a badass, mouths off to Sephiroth and gets the girl.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sephiroth jumps down to stab Aerith, but at the last second Johnny leaps in and takes the hit

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I want to see Johnny and Roche team up, I don't really care why and how I just want to see them interact

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Johnny is the Groose of FFVIIR.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yes, hello.

https://twitter.com/alex_moukala/status/1356684261672316928

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Holy mother of god... :o:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This is a your weekly reminder that all Alx Moukala videos are pro-clicks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwWjx7Cw8I

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Veib posted:

I want to see Johnny and Roche dating, I don't really care why and how I just want to see them in a committed relationship

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Roche throwing Johnny around like his motorcycle

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

Sephiroth jumps down to stab Aerith, but at the last second Johnny leaps in and takes the hit

Bullshit.

Agents are GO! posted:

Johnny ABSOLUTE

Edit, alternatively the beginning of One Winged Angel, but its "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Johnny, Roche, and Rufus all join the party in place of Cid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth leaps into action and stops Yuffie from robbing you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked Hell House much more on replays where I knew what to expect. If you go in with a bad loadout it's possible to make that battle extremely not fun to win

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked Hell House much more on replays where I knew what to expect. If you go in with a bad loadout it's possible to make that battle extremely not fun to win

If you go in with a bad loadout (to any fight) you can restart to right before the fight from the pause menu, I'm pretty sure

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Consider; if it was not possible to have a bad loadout, then the materia system would be pointless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who doesn't have one of every elemental magic equipped just in case anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even if you don't have a great loadout none of Hell House's phases last particularly long so unless you've got like one Fire Materia and nothing else it just means it takes a bit longer. It's only hugely punishing if you go in with no attack magic at all but if you do that with Aerith on your team that's kinda all on you considering her very first skill is "You know magic? What if magic TWICE?"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Hell house was 100% my boss fight of the year 2020.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/agikun/status/1360243971390275586?s=20

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

What's funny is this almost feels more appropriate to the original game's sorta grungy atmosphere around Midgar than the classic bombastic One Winged Angel?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I've been playing through steadily and just have Chapter 18 left on Hard Mode, but that last Simulator course kicked my rear end so hard I could've sworn Shiva was resetting her health to 80% and stagger to 50% without warning multiple times during my attempts. Was I seeing that right? Did I miss that being a thing the first time around?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Manoueverable posted:

I've been playing through steadily and just have Chapter 18 left on Hard Mode, but that last Simulator course kicked my rear end so hard I could've sworn Shiva was resetting her health to 80% and stagger to 50% without warning multiple times during my attempts. Was I seeing that right? Did I miss that being a thing the first time around?

its been a while since I played, but I remember her harder version doing this too

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j360zCLmrR0

I would love to see more of this.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
I just beat the remake. Boss fights were spectacular and the game play was more engaging. Changes to the plot were pretty dumb though. I don't remember weird rear end ghosts being missing from the original.

Not sure what general consensus is around here though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crass Casualty posted:

I just beat the remake. Boss fights were spectacular and the game play was more engaging. Changes to the plot were pretty dumb though. I don't remember weird rear end ghosts being missing from the original.

Not sure what general consensus is around here though.

Too much Wall Market, Roche was pointless filler, Jesse, Biggs and Wedge suck up way too much of the game's plot time, Sephiroth shouldn't have appeared for another three games, Hardedge shouldn't have been available so early and where the gently caress is Tifa's slot macine Limit Break?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RareAcumen posted:

where the gently caress is Tifa's slot machine Limit Break?

In the trash where it belongs. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

RareAcumen posted:

Too much Wall Market, Roche was pointless filler, Jesse, Biggs and Wedge suck up way too much of the game's plot time, Sephiroth shouldn't have appeared for another three games, Hardedge shouldn't have been available so early and where the gently caress is Tifa's slot macine Limit Break?

I didn't mind the wall market stuff too much. I actually liked Andrea's character. Chocobo Sam was a bit incongruous though. I wouldn't mind them fleshing out other plot points in the story a bit.

All Square had to do was just pretty much give people the same story with some more polish. I don't know why they felt the need to change everything. If they'd done that, it would have been a slam dunk.