Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Play posted:

I prefer subs on literally everything and always will, dubs just don't really do it. I usually get subititles for all my English movies too, makes it easier to follow along especially if you're a bit distracted. Some English movies I have real trouble understanding due to the accents especially if they are foreign variants.

This is so true, I'm an English speaker but I vastly prefer having subtitles on regardless of what I'm watching, it just helps with following dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

typical millennials too distracted by their face books and their tweeters to pay attention

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I've started watching everything on Netflix with subtitles (English language stuff I mean) and it totally ruins all comedic and dramatic timing, but I've been doing it for so long that I feel like I'm worse at following dialog without them now.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I typically run in English with English subtitles because I have audio-processing issues when trying to do multiple things at once (like controlling the game).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think its funny how everyone acted excited for bugsnax and then it came out and nobody really gave a poo poo

the hype seemed contrived and its funny how it didn't pay off

when the live ps5 preview stream ran on youtube, the AI-generated closed captioning kept printing "it's bad" every time someone said "Bugsnax." this is how i knew.

as for the body horror i thought eating cute animal characters was kind of hosed up then, and i think it's kind of hosed up now

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Why does everyone act like the body morphing thing in bugsnax is some secret spoiler body horror element? It's literally in the trailer for the game. Does it actually become body horror and change the tone? Or is this just nerds deconstructing poo poo, like how Mario and Peach are the real villains?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's more that body horror is a pretty broad term and "eating sentient creatures designed to be visually appealing, and having your own body physically transform based on their shape" falls under the umbrella of existential gross-out for some players man

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolness Averted posted:

Why does everyone act like the body morphing thing in bugsnax is some secret spoiler body horror element? It's literally in the trailer for the game. Does it actually become body horror and change the tone? Or is this just nerds deconstructing poo poo, like how Mario and Peach are the real villains?

Is this a general sentiment anywhere? The only place I saw this was the erstwhile deviantart thread, and they're inclined to think anything is a secret perversion.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The 2 retro-styled Bloodstained games (Curse of the Moon 1 and 2) are incredibly fun and truly feel like "new" Castlevania games. Great level design that rewards replay, fun and unique characters, and a difficult level that keeps you on your toes without being frustrating.

By contrast, Ritual of the Night is okay at best, with a lot of really uninspired enemy and level designs, and an art style that just feels kind of muddy to me. It also feels bloated with crafting and the shards you collect versus the length of the game itself, you'll probably never use half the stuff you can collect.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cant they just split the difference and produce an rpg bloodstained with the retro graphics god drat!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

A Fancy Hat posted:

The 2 retro-styled Bloodstained games (Curse of the Moon 1 and 2) are incredibly fun and truly feel like "new" Castlevania games. Great level design that rewards replay, fun and unique characters, and a difficult level that keeps you on your toes without being frustrating.

By contrast, Ritual of the Night is okay at best, with a lot of really uninspired enemy and level designs, and an art style that just feels kind of muddy to me. It also feels bloated with crafting and the shards you collect versus the length of the game itself, you'll probably never use half the stuff you can collect.

I really didn't like that game. The movement was poo poo, super sloggy and unresponsive compared to similar modern metroidvanias with combat. Yeah it was kinda hard but a lot of what it tested was patience rather than skill.

I also noticed, like you did, all the crap you pick up that seems to have very little actual bearing on the game, just a bunch of garbage to clog up menus and confuse players. Unfortunately common in Japanese games, it seems like

When it comes to games like that I'd rather play Dead Cells, Foregone, Hollow Knight, Skul the Hero Slayer, Metal Unit, Dark Devotion, Blasphemous, etc. Hell I could list dozens and dozens of superior experiences

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Are all you English/English subs people native English speakers :psyduck:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Western studios should just give up making videogames, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Cyberpunk lol, I've just realised most of what I've played in 2021 has been Japanese and brilliant, Monster Hunter, Yakuza, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 3 - not just good games but outstandingly good games.

Like I'm not really that invested in Japanese culture or media, you'll never catch me eating sushi or watching anime or saying arigato or kon'nichiwa out loud but when it comes to video-games Japan is miles ahead of everything else.

A few years ago Japanese studios were lost in the weeds and the West was ascendant. Right now Western AAA studios are pumping out samey crap that I cannot understand anyone cares about but it's working so why would they stop? Maybe each industry just gets up its rear end after enough success and they need to fall down before they can come back with some interesting games again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Sometimes it's just hard to make out dialogue

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Coolness Averted posted:

According to Giant bomb's end of year deliberations it gets real dark and sinister at the end.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

I started doing it so I could understand the dialogue in various shows/movies with bad audio mixing, and then I got used to it so it looks weird with it off

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I do it because I destroyed my ears playing in punk bands for almost 20 years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The thing with subtitles is, if you need the subtitles to understand the show you have to give it your undivided attention. Your eyes have to be on the screen for the duration or you'll miss everything. I have ADHD and I'm always distracted, half-listening in the background when I watch shows at home. I have to really give a gently caress about something to give it my undivided attention for several hours, and I don't give any fucks about endless seasons of anime so I'm never going to bother without a dub. But I'm also in english/english subs crew, just because subs don't really detract and sometimes dialog is hard to hear, especially in games, especially when you used to go to lots of metal shows

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I am, yes. Sometimes speaking in movies, shows and games can be pretty hard to distinguish accurately for me, although as far as I know there is nothing wrong with my ears. There are accents, there are other noises, sometimes there is too much bass, and basically without subs I end up missing a lot of stuff.

poverty goat posted:

The thing with subtitles is, if you need the subtitles to understand the show you have to give it your undivided attention. Your eyes have to be on the screen for the duration or you'll miss everything.

It's the opposite for me. I comprehend twice as quickly and much more completely if I'm reading rather than listening. Usually I'm finished reading the line long before the line is actually finished being delivered (as someone mentioned, sometimes this isn't great since you get to punchlines before they are intended but most of the time it's really not a big deal).

Irish and Scottish movies, lol forget about it. Sometimes I can't even tell where one word stops and the next begins much less decipher what those words are

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Fur20 posted:

as for the body horror i thought eating cute animal characters was kind of hosed up then, and i think it's kind of hosed up now

Well, in the game itself the characters note that the bugsnax are not animals, and that the whole thing is weird even to them, and the reason the protag is there is because they're a failing journalist trying to find a big scoop and no one outside of the small collection of bugsnax enthusiasts on that island even think that bugsnax actually exist. It's like everyone there is obsessed with eating cryptids that look like non-cryptid foods. Like one of the first areas has a burger, fries, hotdog, etc. I don't get any weird body horror feelings about the game probably because no one looks like a human. They all look like muppets so the idea of it being body horror is silly to me. I relate this to Viva Pinata because it can be thought of as just as hosed up if you describe it the right way. In that game, you manage a farm of sentient pinatas and many of the rarer pinatas are achieved by having them eat each other in full view of everyone. If you want to remove a pinata from your farm, your only option really is to beat it to death with a shovel in full view of everyone. For no particular reason, one of the characters torments you with the prospect of a bacon sandwich, but they will never deliver on that promise. Why does bacon even exist in that world if you are farming chocolates by beating sentient pinatas until they explode, in full view of everyone

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

signalnoise posted:

Well, in the game itself the characters note that the bugsnax are not animals, and that the whole thing is weird even to them, and the reason the protag is there is because they're a failing journalist trying to find a big scoop and no one outside of the small collection of bugsnax enthusiasts on that island even think that bugsnax actually exist. It's like everyone there is obsessed with eating cryptids that look like non-cryptid foods. Like one of the first areas has a burger, fries, hotdog, etc. I don't get any weird body horror feelings about the game probably because no one looks like a human. They all look like muppets so the idea of it being body horror is silly to me. I relate this to Viva Pinata because it can be thought of as just as hosed up if you describe it the right way. In that game, you manage a farm of sentient pinatas and many of the rarer pinatas are achieved by having them eat each other in full view of everyone. If you want to remove a pinata from your farm, your only option really is to beat it to death with a shovel in full view of everyone. For no particular reason, one of the characters torments you with the prospect of a bacon sandwich, but they will never deliver on that promise. Why does bacon even exist in that world if you are farming chocolates by beating sentient pinatas until they explode, in full view of everyone

General Bullshit > Unpopular Videogame Opinions - In Full View of Everyone

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Apparently my talent is writing one paragraph rants

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean, people love to talk about games that they've never played. Usually in a negative way. I don't really get it but it seems pretty common throughout the internet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Personally I haven't watched the last season of Haikyu because I'm waiting for the dub.

Your move, folks.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Play posted:

I mean, people love to talk about games that they've never played. Usually in a negative way. I don't really get it but it seems pretty common throughout the internet

i've played every game

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
just as there are only seven stories, there are only seven games, which are

Super Mario Bros 3
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 7 Remaster
Final Fantasy 7 on mobile
Pac Man
Tecmo Bowl

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Bugsnax is very strange in that the element of feeding characters the snax has zero mechanical relevance or gameplay related to it and is solely an aesthetic thing/excuse for the quests and actual game mechanic of figuring out how to catch them. Just seems like a lot of effort for something with no functionality.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Bugsnax is very strange in that the element of feeding characters the snax has zero mechanical relevance or gameplay related to it and is solely an aesthetic thing/excuse for the quests and actual game mechanic of figuring out how to catch them. Just seems like a lot of effort for something with no functionality.

I tried this game and yeah it didn't grab me at all. Mostly, I can appreciate a lo-fi aesthetic but that game is just straight up ugly af, it looks like an early N64 title except less ambitious. Really small areas too. The story wasn't much to speak of and the capturing mechanics were okay but nothing to get excited about.

In the first main area after the tutorial I couldn't find some stupid animal and I was wandering around this incredibly ugly looking beach and all the sudden I thought 'what I am I even doing" and turned off the game forever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Western studios should just give up making videogames, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Cyberpunk lol, I've just realised most of what I've played in 2021 has been Japanese and brilliant, Monster Hunter, Yakuza, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 3 - not just good games but outstandingly good games.

Like I'm not really that invested in Japanese culture or media, you'll never catch me eating sushi or watching anime or saying arigato or kon'nichiwa out loud but when it comes to video-games Japan is miles ahead of everything else.

sushi is really good you are missing out

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

I did kind of lol at sushi being an example of someone "invested in Japanese culture".

Guys I'm not like, super invested in Mexican culture or anything. I don't eat tacos.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Earwicker posted:

My favorite is egg. It's really loving good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
yeah it was a dumb example to use but i didn't want to just be predictable and say "ramen"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ramen is also very good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yeah it was a dumb example to use but i didn't want to just be predictable and say "ramen"

It's a catch-22 because in order to know a food that you would say you wouldn't eat because you're not into that culture, you have to be into that culture enough to know it

But yeah I'm not going to eat pickled lotus root or natto, not because I'm not into Japanese food, but because I'm a baby and I think that food is just genuinely gross

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

signalnoise posted:

My favorite is egg. It's really loving good

Couldn't agree more. Poached, fried, even the classic hardboiled. Egg is head and shoulders above sushi.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Natto is fucken disgustin

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah the stringiness is what repulses me I think

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

christmas boots posted:

Personally I haven't watched the last season of Haikyu because I'm waiting for the dub.

Your move, folks.

i play wiedźmin in polish with english subs

Earwicker posted:

horse sushi is the best use any man has ever devised for horses

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fridge corn posted:

Natto is fucken disgustin

Do "natto order this," was my mnemonic device for remembering I didn't like that when trying new stuff at Japanese restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fur20 posted:

horse sushi

Pardon?