Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

marktheando posted:

Mine is 3,060. Or 107 minutes a day. Please Tim, have mercy on me.

Mine is pretty close to this as well.

I had COVID last month and didn't do poo poo for exercise. Thanks Tim!!!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The apple watch is part of an illuminati (which tim is a member of) plot to train super soldiers. The W1 and successor chips in airpods are subliminally programming us with an activation phrase they'll use when the time arrives for the new world order to come into power. The apple spaceship will be their seat of power.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vyst posted:

lol i have to average 1040 move calories a day on a short month. Eat my entire rear end Apple

Yeah mine is 996 like wtf

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

xzzy posted:

The apple watch is part of an illuminati (which tim is a member of) plot to train super soldiers. The W1 and successor chips in airpods are subliminally programming us with an activation phrase they'll use when the time arrives for the new world order to come into power. The apple spaceship will be their seat of power.

Apple fitness need some dang tai chi so when we get the signal boost we speed up all of the tai chi moves and become bad rear end

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

vyst posted:

lol i have to average 1040 move calories a day on a short month. Eat my entire rear end Apple

Mine is 1,006 a day. I am already freaking out. Fuckers!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sonatinas posted:

Apple fitness need some dang tai chi so when we get the signal boost we speed up all of the tai chi moves and become bad rear end

There’s Tai Chi in the workouts though? There’s also Fitness Gaming for us needs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

There’s Tai Chi in the workouts though? There’s also Fitness Gaming for us needs.

I assume he means on Apple Fitness+, but maybe I'm wrong

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I meant fitness plus I did not know it was an actual workout on the watch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Mine is 1150 cumulative exercise minutes, an average of 41 per day. I'm already behind. :negative:

As an aside, I've been using Fitness+ and it's pretty good.

Just curious, any specific trainings you have been doing / liking ? So far I have done almost only yoga, with like, one strength training.

I really like the yoga (I’m doing mostly 10 minutes a day, which is a huge step for me), and the strength training seemed cool, I just need to mentally make myself choose it , or do one of each throughout the day.

I’m curious how others feel about Fitness+ being tough / not tough. I used to do basic workouts at the gym years ago, stopped for the last 5 years, I would consider myself a moderate beginner. I think these work great for me , they’re good at giving some challenge but going at your own pace. I find it hilarious that the back left trainer is always the newb trainer, and they both dress more scruffy and do the more basic versions of the other 2 trainers in the videos. My goal is always to just be slightly better than that person.

All the trainers are somewhat bland, which is honestly fine, but my favorite by far is Dustin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Depends how I'm feeling, but I usually aim for at least 30 total minutes of various things. I tend to read the descriptions to try to work on different things, but a lot of the workouts are full body. Usually I can do the regular exercise, but there's definitely times I've had to step down to the newb trainer.

Today I did a 20-minute HIIT workout, which I was drained by the end of, so I just did a 10-minute mindful cooldown and called it a day. Other times I've done a 20-minute strength (I have a couple 10-lb. dumbells which have yet to be too much of a challenge, but are just about right for certain movements), followed by a 10-minute core or yoga workout (all core workouts are 10-minutes). Other times I'll do some combination of 10-minute strength, core, HIIT, and yoga workouts.

If I do yoga last, I'll end there, but if it's something else, I'll do a 5-minute mindful cool down. I may have done a 20-minute yoga workout at some point, but I'm not sure since I like it, but I prefer it as a supplement rather than the bulk of my exercise for the day.

I think my plan tomorrow is to try a 30-minute strength, but we'll see how I'm feeling. I don't have a treadmill or stationary bike, so I haven't been able to try those (I have a bike trainer, but as I understand, they expect you to be able to change resistance on the fly and I don't think mine can do that very easily, though I suppose shifting gears is functionally the same), and dance doesn't interest me.

Adding tai chi would be very cool, though.

Of the trainers, I like Bakari and Amir a lot, and Molly's pretty enjoyable for yoga stuff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
It’s a bit bullshit that the fitness + HIIT workouts have that “oh we might not track you for this” crap. Heartbeat is onscreen, keeps updating, fitness app shows I did 30 min workout, gives an average heart rate... ring shows 10 min. Eat my entire rear end, apple.

Related, when an email or text comes in at the same time as closing a ring and it just gives you the “here’s a bland notification stack” instead of the ring animation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

It’s a bit bullshit that the fitness + HIIT workouts have that “oh we might not track you for this” crap. Heartbeat is onscreen, keeps updating, fitness app shows I did 30 min workout, gives an average heart rate... ring shows 10 min. Eat my entire rear end, apple.
I definitely haven't run into this actually happening, though I've seen the warning. I wonder what causes it!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying Fitness+, but it would be cool to favorite or make a playlist of particular workouts. Stuff like yoga is pretty hit or miss with me so it'd be nice to always have a go-to routine that I know I'll enjoy doing. Instead I have to try and remember what the duration and music selection was.

The strength training is also really heavy on squats and my body absolutely hates squats.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm enjoying Fitness+, but it would be cool to favorite or make a playlist of particular workouts. Stuff like yoga is pretty hit or miss with me so it'd be nice to always have a go-to routine that I know I'll enjoy doing. Instead I have to try and remember what the duration and music selection was.

The strength training is also really heavy on squats and my body absolutely hates squats.

You can favorite workouts. It’s add button in the header of the workout.

The My Workouts section is at the bottom of the main page of the app.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can favorite workouts. It’s add button in the header of the workout.

The My Workouts section is at the bottom of the main page of the app.

I haven't used it on my phone yet, just the Apple TV. I don't think that option is on the TV version.

I'll have to see if it pulls up on my phone while it's also on the screen. Maybe there's a favorite button on my watch that I haven't known to look for.

Thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

I haven't used it on my phone yet, just the Apple TV. I don't think that option is on the TV version.

Not noticed it on the ATV either.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Ah, OK. I’ve been using my iPad Mini for Fitness+ almost exclusively as I have it sitting in my indoor bike’s tablet holder.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The updates (currently in beta) that allow your watch to unlock your phone when you're wearing a mask are a game changer. One of the biggest quality of life upgrades to come to iOS in a long time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The updates (currently in beta) that allow your watch to unlock your phone when you're wearing a mask are a game changer. One of the biggest quality of life upgrades to come to iOS in a long time.

How exactly does it work? Proximity or passcode?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What I read is if your watch is on you and unlocked, and the phone senses you have a mask on, it’ll just unlock instead of bringing up the passcode screen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/01/iphone-face-id-unlock-apple-watch-mask/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does it still try to ID the upper uncovered half of your face, or will it just blanket unlock, if the watch is close by?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Once you turn it on and authorize it, when it sees the mask it just unlocks the phone. I imagine it uses the proximity of the watch like it does for Mac unlocking. So it's not enough just to have your watch unlocked, it needs to be nearby too.

It seems that if it doesn't detect a mask it still tries to use Face ID.

^^^I don't know if it's bothering to do any facial recognition after it detects the mask. My guess is no, but I can test that out by having someone stand next to me and attempt to unlock the phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m pretty sure it just uses that algorithm Apple put in to bring up the passcode screen immediately if it detects a mask. Like how before it would take a second to detect your face, fail, and then bring up the passcode? And now it sees mask and brings up the passcode immediately. Instead of asking for a passcode now it’ll just check if you’re wearing a watch and if it’s unlocked. It still uses FaceID if it doesn’t detect you wearing a mask.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Have apple watch unlock based on your heartbeat signature bing bong so simple :haw:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like how I can track my menstrual cycle with my watch but I can’t see my awards or awards progress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I like how I can track my menstrual cycle with my watch but I can’t see my awards or awards progress.
They're in the activity app???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

They're in the activity app???

Oh ffs....

I guess I can do both!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Wait you can get awards for menstruating?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wait you can get awards for menstruating?

Aren’t those just called babies?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the commiseration prize for failure to hit your goals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hdip posted:

Aren’t those just called babies?

Categorically no.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Anyone have any recommendations for a 40mm screen protector? The ones I’ve tried generally suck rear end.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 7, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a 40mm screen protector? The ones I’ve tried generally suck rear end.

Besides none?

Ive had a watch since the 0 and am active and haven’t felt the need tbh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

These are pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PVQFJV

All the ones I’ve tried come off while swimming so I don’t bother anymore since I swim a bunch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

Seconding the opinion on none. The Apple Watch will scuff, but it is really hard to bust it up unless you work something like construction.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: So much the wrong thread.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I used liquipel and it did awesome.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/liquipel-liquid-screen-protector-for-glass-screen-smartwatches-transparent/6382334.p?skuId=6382334

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

These are pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PVQFJV

All the ones I’ve tried come off while swimming so I don’t bother anymore since I swim a bunch.

Thanks - gonna try these out. My last watch got scuffed to hell while doing indoor rock climbing so don't want to repeat that same mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I broke two screens indoor rock climbing, so finally caved and got a protector. I got these which are easy to slip on-and-off and work okay - like the watch is usable, but I wouldn't want it on there any time except when I'm climbing.