Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
No cards for you! Next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bloopsy posted:

No cards for you! Next!

Come back 1 year

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Videon't Card

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

GPU Megat[H]read - we wish we had stock to lose money on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GPU Megat[H]read: Better luck next year

GPU Megat[H]read: Hope my 1070 lasts 6 more months

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bad Munki posted:

Videon't Card

PlayStation Does What Windon't

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
It's remarkable that Radeon 6700XT leaks are happening and the ground level reality of getting a new GPU at all is so grim that the only measurable response is, "sounds nice if you could buy one."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Leaks are the way to announce new product now, because if you put out a press release/advertisement for yet another round of poo poo people can't get, your poor PR person will be pilloried

GPU Megathread: 640GT should be enough for anyone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

GPU Megathread: 640GT should be enough for anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqcQFAU5oc0

A GTS 450 is still plenty powerful!!!

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
GPU Megathread: Find your nearest Microcenter, Get a Tent

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huh I found gts 460 when sorting through some electronics boxes the other day. Time for eBay! :lol:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
GPU Megathread: gently caress You Got Mine

...no? :ninja:

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

AirRaid posted:

GPU Megathread: gently caress You Got Mine

...no? :ninja:

Nope. I have a 3080 but still look for cards on Best Buy in order to grab one for any needy goons.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AirRaid posted:

GPU Megathread: gently caress You Got Miners

There ya go

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

GPU Megathread: Harder to get than the covid vaccine

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
GPU Megathread: MSRiPoff

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bloopsy posted:

Nope. I have a 3080 but still look for cards on Best Buy in order to grab one for any needy goons.

Yeah to be fair I got mine then got three more for friends in need. I'm out of the game now though, my work is done.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EngineerJoe posted:

GPU Megathread: Harder to get than the covid vaccine

Lol I was just thinking this the other day when I was trying to click through for an appointment for a vaccine faster than the hundred other people doing the same thing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

explosivo posted:

Lol I was just thinking this the other day when I was trying to click through for an appointment for a vaccine faster than the hundred other people doing the same thing.

Need a stick tracker

acksplode
May 17, 2004

So I nabbed a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC back in October for an all-new build, and I've had persistent issues with my PC frequently and randomly rebooting while playing games. I swapped out the power supply and memory to no effect, and then the reboots stopped entirely once I used MSI Afterburner to underclock by 150 MHz. I take this to mean that the GPU is defective and it's failing when the clock rate boosts past some point that it should be able to handle but can't. Does that sound right? Is this enough info for an open-and-shut support case, or is there anything else I can do to prove that Gigabyte needs to give me a new 3080?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bad Munki posted:

Need a stick tracker

Newegg actually has a vaccination rate tracker on their homepage now for some reason:
https://promotions.newegg.com/EC/covid19/index.html?cm_sp=head_nav-_-COVID-19_Vaccine_Tracker

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

change my name posted:

Newegg actually has a vaccination rate tracker on their homepage now for some reason:
https://promotions.newegg.com/EC/covid19/index.html?cm_sp=head_nav-_-COVID-19_Vaccine_Tracker

You can get the vaccine through newegg but it costs 3x as much and comes with a polio vaccine and a fresh bouquet of flowers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

e: ^^ poo poo

change my name posted:

But can I get a vaccine mandatorily bundled with wilted flowers and a fire hazard psu??

ufarn
May 30, 2009

acksplode posted:

So I nabbed a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC back in October for an all-new build, and I've had persistent issues with my PC frequently and randomly rebooting while playing games. I swapped out the power supply and memory to no effect, and then the reboots stopped entirely once I used MSI Afterburner to underclock by 150 MHz. I take this to mean that the GPU is defective and it's failing when the clock rate boosts past some point that it should be able to handle but can't. Does that sound right? Is this enough info for an open-and-shut support case, or is there anything else I can do to prove that Gigabyte needs to give me a new 3080?
Is there anything between the PSU and power outlet? Power strips can be very screwy and act as bottlenecks.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ufarn posted:

Is there anything between the PSU and power outlet? Power strips can be very screwy and act as bottlenecks.

The only thing I've had between the PSU and the outlet was either nothing at all or a good-quality UPS. Reboots persisted in both cases. And since I've demonstrated that underclocking fixes the problem I'm pretty confident it doesn't have to do with power.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had a similar problem and it was that the rail on my PSU for the VGA cables wasn’t pushing enough voltage to the GPU which was causing my PC to restart

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

acksplode posted:

I have the same card and had a similar problem back around the time I installed it, but ended up figuring out it was actually a RAM issue that required a BIOS update. No issues with it since then.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had a similar problem and it was that the rail on my PSU for the VGA cables wasn't pushing enough voltage to the GPU which was causing my PC to restart

I was really suspicious about power but I've tried three different PSUs, a Corsair 750W, eVGA 850W, and for total overkill a Corsair 1000W, all brand-new. I used my UPS to monitor input voltage which has been stable, so I don't think it's bad wiring in my building or anything. And I monitored output wattage, which didn't seem correlate with reboots. Reboots would happen at anywhere from 300-500W.

Cross-Section posted:

I have the same card and had a similar problem back around the time I installed it, but ended up figuring out it was actually a RAM issue that required a BIOS update. No issues with it since then.

I've swapped out the memory and updated the motherboard BIOS to latest :negative:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah as someone else said, try and rule out the RAM

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I think I have. Swapped it out and reboots kept happening. Underclocked the GPU by 150MHz and a reboot hasn't happened in about 4 weeks of daily use.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Looks like you've done enough to reasonably rule out other factors. Try RMAing the card. This has been a Sphyre Pro Tip.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Are you certain you're feeding it power properly, not feeding the 8 pins from the same source? If so, it's probably the GPU itself.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Are you certain you're feeding it power properly, not feeding the 8 pins from the same source? If so, it's probably the GPU itself.

Yeah, I'm running two separate power cables from the PSU to the GPU, not using two plugs on the same cable.

Sphyre posted:

Looks like you've done enough to reasonably rule out other factors. Try RMAing the card. This has been a Sphyre Pro Tip.

That's all I needed to hear lol. I'm expecting to get some resistance from Gigabyte so I wanted to run this past the thread and see if I missed anything obvious. Thanks folks

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Got lucky today and sniped an ASUS TUF 3080 from Best Buy in Canada and have gotten my order confirmation and receipt. I feel like I won the lottery.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please sir, I want a 3080

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GPU Megat[H]read - No Stock & Sticker Shock

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

It's remarkable that Radeon 6700XT leaks are happening and the ground level reality of getting a new GPU at all is so grim that the only measurable response is, "sounds nice if you could buy one."

It feels really cruel this time around now that AMD has a card that's actually trading blows with nVidia's high end offerings but is somehow even more difficult to find than the nVidia cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Number19 posted:

Got lucky today and sniped an ASUS TUF 3080 from Best Buy in Canada and have gotten my order confirmation and receipt. I feel like I won the lottery.
You pretty much did since 3080s are incredibly scarce now

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Number19 posted:

1 of 27 that dropped today. I missed getting my order in by something like 15 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try entering the newegg lottery and selecting the combos. It seems to work a lot. I have been getting at least 1 gpu a week from it.
Prices are bad, but it easily beats paying full on scalper prices. I even got a "free" psu of dubious quality!