Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Oxhorn is the only really good Fallout youtuber. Hopefully he stays away from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OldMemes posted:

Oxhorn is the only really good Fallout youtuber. Hopefully he stays away from this.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Dude doesn't reinvent the wheel, but his videos are chill, and he seems like a laid back guy. :shrug:

Maybe really good is an overstatement, but he's fine.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Flesh Forge posted:

lmao at the notion that nobody reviewed or playtested anything during integration, they just took everyone's work as a black box and plugged it in without ever looking at it. oh gosh guys we just never looked, it was just the one guy who did everything bad and kept it all hidden from everyone else

It is possible that the more egregious parts, such as America Slave, since they didn't conflict with other parts flew under the radar.

I think some of it was willful ignorance, I.E., "we really need this person for this part of the mod, so we'll let them have their foot fetish dialog", some of it was complete ignorance "Who's going to go searching for a team member's art on a sicko website", and some of it was just bad judgement, I.E. "I think this is funny personally or not offensive, when in fact it is OBJECTIVELY offensive".

Good example for why big mods like this need a project manager and need most of the members knowing what is going on, reading over scripts, even if they're not going to change it (i.e., letting voice actors see what other characters are scripted to say). I know Obsidian parceled out different characters and quests to different writers but I doubt they were operating in their own little black boxes with zero feed back. FNV still has some oversight and inconsistencies (Example, just how long has the Strip been open, House and Freeside disagree hard on this).

Also, FNV Discord https://discord.gg/3QNNFU6d for those who haven't seen it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought Oxhorn had some skeletons in his closet?

Shoddycast is the best Fallout lore dump channel because their videos aren't 40 minutes long

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Some of his old content resurfaced where he expresses sexist and homophobic opinions and some cringy toxic masculinity, but he said that going out into the world, meeting people, getting life experience and having a wife and kids changed him for the better.

Some of his videos are a little gotta get all the lore from this stone, but he's good for background noise, like a podcast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd still recommend shoddycast. The Storyteller is a better narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyPn6DXfS2g

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OldMemes posted:

Some of his old content resurfaced where he expresses sexist and homophobic opinions and some cringy toxic masculinity, but he said that going out into the world, meeting people, getting life experience and having a wife and kids changed him for the better.

Some of his videos are a little gotta get all the lore from this stone, but he's good for background noise, like a podcast.

Glad he isn't filming women in public and mocking their weight anymore after getting a wife and having kids.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I used to enjoy Nilsor's Vault, he had a pleasant voice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Glad he isn't filming women in public and mocking their weight anymore

O_O

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Glad he isn't filming women in public and mocking their weight anymore after getting a wife and having kids.

I remember that lol oxhorn is problematic af

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I just rewatched his apology, and he owns to that being a lovely thing to do. Apparently he realized what a horrible thing to do that was, deleted it, and has felt remorseful and tried to be a better person since, leaving the toxic masculinity behind. Seems like it was a turning point, and he's tried to do better since, so benefit of the doubt, if he sticks to it.

His Fallout 76 content is good, because it means you don't have to play Fallout 76.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I just rewatched his apology, and he owns to that being a lovely thing to do. Apparently he realized what a horrible thing to do that was, deleted it, and has felt remorseful and tried to be a better person since, leaving the toxic masculinity behind. Seems like it was a turning point, and he's tried to do better since, so benefit of the doubt, if he sticks to it.

His Fallout 76 content is good, because it means you don't have to play Fallout 76.

No one is allowed to learn or grow or better themselves and I thank gently caress my teens and mid 20s weren't broadcast for all to see on social media or youtube

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DaysBefore posted:

You didn't join, they still shot laser guns at you every time you saw them. But you could enact the robot presidents genocide plan despite the fact that since you were born outside a Vault it would also kill you lmao

To be honest don't get why so many people (other places, not here) are so hung up on not being able to join the Enclave in the Frontier. They are literally nothing more than fascists.
do you understand that people in openworld RPGs frequently play evil characters

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Magmarashi posted:

No one is allowed to learn or grow or better themselves and I thank gently caress my teens and mid 20s weren't broadcast for all to see on social media or youtube

I don’t think people would care about what lovely thing you pretend you regret now.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

IronicDongz posted:

do you understand that people in openworld RPGs frequently play evil characters

no yeah I get that it's just that it makes no sense for the Courier to join the Enclave because they're literally Nazi's who will kill you with sci-fi blasters for being gentically inferior. I guess I'm focusing too much on narrative and not enough on just, like, fun. But I dunno, Enclave fans tend to skeeve me.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I do like their cool power armor tho

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Having had this game and all DLCs since basically they came out, but never having played any of it, was gonna try to tackle it soon but was faced with the daunting task of modding it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13XyhtS9J7xYNDA0ruKtdhPKqBZpkkQ3nSx_7n-F0-Kc/edit

Came across this link to a YouTuber's mod list that ends up looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3hEQCnFyc

Is this a dumb mod list? Was mainly looking to experience the base game with as many QoL and prettifying things as possible, I don't really want broken rear end super armors or some new crazy dungeon with 4000 words of text written by a community college dropout about cave people or whatever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DaysBefore posted:

no yeah I get that it's just that it makes no sense for the Courier to join the Enclave because they're literally Nazi's who will kill you with sci-fi blasters for being gentically inferior. I guess I'm focusing too much on narrative and not enough on just, like, fun. But I dunno, Enclave fans tend to skeeve me.

A big part of NV especially was that none of these groups remained as they had in the past.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fuzz posted:

Having had this game and all DLCs since basically they came out, but never having played any of it, was gonna try to tackle it soon but was faced with the daunting task of modding it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13XyhtS9J7xYNDA0ruKtdhPKqBZpkkQ3nSx_7n-F0-Kc/edit

Came across this link to a YouTuber's mod list that ends up looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3hEQCnFyc

Is this a dumb mod list? Was mainly looking to experience the base game with as many QoL and prettifying things as possible, I don't really want broken rear end super armors or some new crazy dungeon with 4000 words of text written by a community college dropout about cave people or whatever.

Yes that is a dumb mod list. Sinitar Gaming is an absolute mess of hundreds of mods that he claims all work together but they don't. Start with a smaller list, get a handle on modding and then decide what things you want to add.

The current recommendation is viva new vegas:
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html

I have a few issues with some of the mods on the list (don't follow his alterations to weapon mesh improvement mod unless you want missing melee sound effects) but overall it's solid for a vanilla game plus.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 3, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DaysBefore posted:

What a weird way to spell “Legion”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Legion don't have sci-fi blasters.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DaysBefore posted:

Well, yeah but....They do have cool power armor though. I mean. That has to count for something. The obsession with the enclave is pretty dumb by this point considering they have been completely broken by the end of Fallout 2, and the known surviving members have integrated into wasteland society.

On topic, I am getting real Hunt down the freeman vibes from this frontier mod

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Here's the difference between Caeser's Legion and the Enclave: the Enclave are comically shallow. They're an enclave of xenophobic isolationists (I don't even know if they can be called fascist; who are they trying to oppress, themselves?) who have gone so far through to the other side that everything that isn't specifically their insular group is only good for eradication. They don't really have an ideology to explore or a point they're trying to make or a real goal of any nuance. They want to commit omnicide so the "pure" people can inherit the world. Full stop. They're a cartoon parody of conservative figures to the point of having Dan Quayle as the vice president. There is nothing of substance to them besides being idiotically and incompetently evil, and in games that put a lot of emphasis on storytelling and following up from New Vegas, there's nothing left worth mining; exploring how some of its members moved on after it was gone is pretty much the only worthwhile story to tell with them, and New Vegas did that.

Contrast that to Caeser's Legion, which is evil and brutal, but has an ideology to and behind it, that seeks to interact and be a part of the world around it through brutal subjugation that is itself a half-finished tool of someone who should be smart enough to know better but still believes he can synthesize Imperial Rome by mashing together a roving tribe of militaristic warrior-slavers with a modern democracy. That they can make arguments for their existence in this post-apocalyptic world, even if all those arguments are ones only monsters, their victims, or the unaffected could agree with--such as the one trader who loves Arizona because the Legion have either put all marauders and tribes to the sword or forcibly integrated them. They have elements to explore in how they function, what they do to people, and how they do it, like with the various former tribals that now loyally serve it. And, lastly, how it will likely fall apart and what will be left when it does. There are things in the Legion that are interesting to explore; it's why plenty of people who find them awful have done playthroughs beyond it just being fun to be the bad guy.

Caeser's Legion is interesting. The Enclave just has cool power armor. And the way people keep trying to draw that equivalency while stumping for the Enclave, especially these days, has crossed into being a little unsettling. The Enclave doesn't really have much to offer unless you want to buy into an Americana patriotism that they didn't much have, and wanting to channel that nationalism for no other reason than to be a nationalist is facile in a game series that has largely been about more than that, and a bit discomfiting in current social climes and not at all helped by a lot of the people clamoring for it.

Even Bethesda knew not to make the Enclave sympathetic or joinable, even if they let you stupidly fulfill their plan after killing them all. They're a caricature of a faction whose only goal is to kill the planet. And they're dead now anyway. The way you explore the Enclave isn't as the Enclave, it's in what happens to its members and its possible assets once it's in the ground.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
but dat armor tho

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just shoot the man and take his armor if you want it so fuckin bad.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Bogart posted:

Just shoot the man and take his armor if you want it so fuckin bad.

he wears it good tho

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just kiss the man and take his heart if you want him so fuckin bad.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Bogart posted:

Just kiss the man and take his heart if you want him so fuckin bad.

good news, he took of his armor so he could kiss and i kissed the armor and the armor had a baby and it looked at me and said this is armorica

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Master Vs. The Enclave is pretty much F1 writing Vs. F2 writing in a nutshell.

The master is a flawed dude whose been through some serious poo poo. They're honestly trying to make the world a better place, but their actions are misguided and destructive. And if you do the legwork and get proof that their plan is flawed you can confront them and in despair the Master will end his own life. You can seriously empathize with whats happens to the poor dude and how he ended up making everything worse despite his best intentions.

The enclave wants to kill everyone because they're evil, has Dan Quaylye as a vice president. And instead of a challenging combat encounter, that can be subverted with dialogue backed up with facts. You get a nobody with weapons literally called End boss plasma gun. It's a good thing the huboligists exist or the Enclave would be the worst faction in their own game.

Fallout 2 sucks and the F3 version of the Enclave is somehow better even if their plans exactly the same. Probably just because the faction leader is voiced by Malcolm McDowell instead of whomever was doing Dick Richardson. Their armor is cool though.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Except that the courier can achieve a place of honor and relative comfort by being an absolute bastard and helping the Legion. Helping the Enclave gets you poisonous water and the Enclave still trying to kill the Lone Wanderer. There is no self-aggrandizing motive for any wastelander to help the Enclave. Which makes it kind of poo poo as an evil option because the only reason to choose it is obnoxious "for the lulz" villainy.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The Master Vs. The Enclave is pretty much F1 writing Vs. F2 writing in a nutshell.

The master is a flawed dude whose been through some serious poo poo. They're honestly trying to make the world a better place, but their actions are misguided and destructive. And if you do the legwork and get proof that their plan is flawed you can confront them and in despair the Master will end his own life. You can seriously empathize with whats happens to the poor dude and how he ended up making everything worse despite his best intentions.

The enclave wants to kill everyone because they're evil, has Dan Quaylye as a vice president. And instead of a challenging combat encounter, that can be subverted with dialogue backed up with facts. You get a nobody with weapons literally called End boss plasma gun. It's a good thing the huboligists exist or the Enclave would be the worst faction in their own game.

Fallout 2 sucks and the F3 version of the Enclave is somehow better even if their plans exactly the same. Probably just because the faction leader is voiced by Malcolm McDowell instead of whomever was doing Dick Richardson. Their armor is cool though.

the dumbass republican oil rig president is way better than the moron computer president that kills himself if you pass a single speech check imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Colonel Autumn sucks rear end

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes that is a dumb mod list. Sinitar Gaming is an absolute mess of hundreds of mods that he claims all work together but they don't. Start with a smaller list, get a handle on modding and then decide what things you want to add.

The current recommendation is viva new vegas:
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html

I have a few issues with some of the mods on the list (don't follow his alterations to weapon mesh improvement mod unless you want missing melee sound effects) but overall it's solid for a vanilla game plus.

Very cool, good to know!

May use his character model suggestion, though, since I already downloaded all those packs and they just look way better.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
VNV's a great starting point since it tries not to touch too many things. Pick and choose as you like, mod organizer helps a bit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was very stupid what Bethesda did with the Enclave in 3 and all that should've remained of them were the old folks trying to move on in New Vegas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
And that's why they're going to do Fallout 5: The Enclave

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

And that's why they're going to do Fallout 5: The Enclave

Gonna start a small ragtag group with the intention of helping wastelanders and end with taking over an oil rig.

That's right you were the Enclave all along.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Servetus posted:

Except that the courier can achieve a place of honor and relative comfort by being an absolute bastard and helping the Legion. Helping the Enclave gets you poisonous water and the Enclave still trying to kill the Lone Wanderer. There is no self-aggrandizing motive for any wastelander to help the Enclave. Which makes it kind of poo poo as an evil option because the only reason to choose it is obnoxious "for the lulz" villainy.

I mean this is true of a male courier but honestly based on how the Legion treats women joining with them as one is basically equivalent to helping out the Enclave. Your position of honor and comfort will last until the second Caesar dies and he's not long for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Enclave find a time machine and remove the Chosen One from history. They are then able to restore America to its former glory with ease.

Introducing Fallout: Red White & Blue Alert.