Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pretty much just gaming. I use it for work but emails and Excel don't really count.

I have a 3060ti and a 75Hz monitor and a 2400G right now and I want to squeeze some more frames out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Ryzen 3100 ran out of stock at retailers here and the 3600 is now overpriced at almost 230 USD

Someone please talk me out of settling for a 2600 for 150

I'd eat the price increase and get the 3600. Or if you can find the 3600X at MSRP (even if you had to hunt around) consider whether that would be worth it.

Zen+ sucks especially at gaming, it's not great for productivity either given how bad it is in AVX workloads.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

don't get that thing with a Vega.. nothing but unstable from my experiences. Come on dudes, don't be fanboys, get the Intel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd eat the price increase and get the 3600. Or if you can find the 3600X at MSRP (even if you had to hunt around) consider whether that would be worth it.

To be clear, you're saying that if I can find a 3600X at or near its MSRP of 249 USD, consider getting that instead of a non-X that's almost the same price anyway for worse base clocks?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pretty much just gaming. I use it for work but emails and Excel don't really count.

I have a 3060ti and a 75Hz monitor and a 2400G right now and I want to squeeze some more frames out of it.

A 2600 should be fine for 75fps atm, but it doesn't leave much headroom for a 144hz monitor or possibly more cpu-intensive games - I haven't played an asscreed since 2, so I can't say myself how it will perform for that.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Get a 10400f for 155.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be clear, you're saying that if I can find a 3600X at or near its MSRP of 249 USD, consider getting that instead of a non-X that's almost the same price anyway for worse base clocks?

Sorry I meant 5600X at MSRP. I'd either go 3600 or 5600X, Zen+ is pretty bad.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
2000 really isn't worth it. I mean, I have one, but I also have the ability to upgrade when I feel like it.

The difference between 2000 and 3000 is night and day in games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sorry I meant 5600X at MSRP. I'd either go 3600 or 5600X, Zen+ is pretty bad.

Ah. The 5600X is over 370 USD where I can find it cheapest, and I'd need a new board because I'm on a B350, so it's out of the question.

I'll probably either bite the bullet on the 3600 or wait a while longer for something to change.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've got the 3700X but these newfangled zens would only be 5-15% better on paper and negligible for 4k right?

And be hotter and use more power?
Is the allure they are much better on single threaded stuff? I have a few games that are like that, but meh.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've got the 3700X but these newfangled zens would only be 5-15% better on paper and negligible for 4k right?

Is the allure they are much better on single threaded stuff? I have a few games that are like that, but meh.
SAM/reBAR is super interesting, but it's kind of unclear how well it'll be supported (including wrt CPU generations).

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 3, 2021

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

For CPU bound gaming it can be more like 20%+ and the PPT (maximum allowed power use for the CPU) is exactly the same as Ryzen 3000 for all SKUs. It's not worth an upgrade for people who currently have Ryzen 3000 unless you're upgrade obsessed like me but they are really impressive CPUs.

Here's a good video comparing the 3700X vs 5600X in gaming, even with two fewer cores it's 19% faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirkX7mG-24&t=1154s

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2021

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Paul MaudDib posted:

Zen+ is pretty bad.

Hard agree. Zen+ was, on average, a 3% uplift over Zen. It only ever made sense when it was the current generation, and was selling at the same MSRP as the Ryzen 1000 parts.

And arguably not even then. Remember when 1600s were $80?

You don't want a Zen+ part in 2021.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's hard to comprehend now but at one point the 2700X was available for $130 at times which was a great deal, those days are long gone though and you should just buy a 3600.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

It's hard to comprehend now but at one point the 2700X was available for $130 at times which was a great deal, those days are long gone though and you should just buy a 3600.

sigh, if only we had clapped. just clapped. that's all it would have taken.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

sigh, if only we had clapped. just clapped. that's all it would have taken.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Canna Happy posted:

Get a 10400f for 155.

I think this is a better option over a 2600.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Newegg shuffle going live in 30 minutes: https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

All 5x00 CPUs and a Powercolor 6800XT on deck.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any particularly good or bad 3070's here?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

mdxi posted:

Newegg shuffle going live in 30 minutes: https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

I'm very curious what the stats will end up being this lottery.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

mdxi posted:

Powercolor 6800XT on deck.

lol it's $1100

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Inept posted:

lol it's $1100

I was just trying to be helpful; those were the only items showing up before it went live. After go-live there are, like, 9 GPUs.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, I just thought it was a funny ta-da gently caress you reveal from Newegg.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what the difference between "Current Temperature" and "Junction Temperature" is on AMD cards? This 6800xt is my first ever AMD GPU and I'm not familiar with how their stuff works.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Anyone know what the difference between "Current Temperature" and "Junction Temperature" is on AMD cards? This 6800xt is my first ever AMD GPU and I'm not familiar with how their stuff works.
Junction temperature, or Tjunc/Tmax/Tjmax, is the internal temperature at which point your CPU will shut itself down to prevent damaging itself from overheating.
Tcase, which you might also encounter, is the maximum temperature for the integrated heat-spreader.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Junction temperature, or Tjunc/Tmax/Tjmax, is the internal temperature at which point your CPU will shut itself down to prevent damaging itself from overheating.
Tcase, which you might also encounter, is the maximum temperature for the integrated heat-spreader.

I'm familiar with Tjunction, but in the Radeon software "Junction Temperature" rises dynamically alongside "Current Temperature"

That's what I'm asking about.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I'm familiar with Tjunction, but in the Radeon software "Junction Temperature" rises dynamically alongside "Current Temperature"

That's what I'm asking about.
Well, if they're going to overload terms, then what the gently caress is the point of using words to begin with. :mad:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
supposedly "gpu temp" is the olde "gpu package temp sensor", but "junction temp" is the exact temperature of the currently hottest bit of the gpu.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I have decided to do system rebuilds with 3950X CPUs instead of 5900Xs. I'm telling you this because it should guarantee that 5000 series Ryzens become generally available sometime in the next three days. You're welcome.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

supposedly "gpu temp" is the olde "gpu package temp sensor", but "junction temp" is the exact temperature of the currently hottest bit of the gpu.

That's what I figured it was, thanks.

Well, if they're going to overload terms, then what the gently caress is the point of using words to begin with. :mad:

Yeah, I kind wish they would make it clear that "This number is one you need to worry about." and "This one you don't need to worry about, but here it is in case you are curious."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, I kind wish they would make it clear that "This number is one you need to worry about." and "This one you don't need to worry about, but here it is in case you are curious."
This is just as frustrating as Linus Torvalds deciding that git checkout should mean something different than than cvn checkout (which is as old as Linux is, which makes it a mystery why Linus didn't use it, causing Linux to not have any version history for its initial period) or svn checkout, for absolutely no apparent reason other than it seems designed to gently caress with people who has decades of muscle memory for using checkout the way git uses clone.

I really wish this didn't make me come off as a perscriptivist linguist, but it's so frustrating when words with very clear technical meaning get deliberately overloaded by some new thing, without any care at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Any known gotchas with Asrock B450m Pro boards? I have an acquaintance dealing with a lot of crashing, and I'm gently trying to guide them toward troubleshooting. I'm guessing RAM, but trying to get them to respond to questions is difficult. Any tips or tricks I can pass along?

I've never used an ASRock mobo so don't feel as confident in advice as I would if it was ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

This is just as frustrating as Linus Torvalds deciding that git checkout should mean something different than than cvn checkout (which is as old as Linux is, which makes it a mystery why Linus didn't use it, causing Linux to not have any version history for its initial period) or svn checkout, for absolutely no apparent reason other than it seems designed to gently caress with people who has decades of muscle memory for using checkout the way git uses clone.

I really wish this didn't make me come off as a perscriptivist linguist, but it's so frustrating when words with very clear technical meaning get deliberately overloaded by some new thing, without any care at all.

Nice CUDA post.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I seem to be getting better performance/stability on my 5600x just setting the PBO max override to +100mhz and calling it a day. Any higher and it runs up against aggressive downclocking, and messing around with even a -10 all core offset in AMD curve optimizer just introduces crashes. Don't really have the patience to find the perfect power offset for each individual core.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://gizmodo.com/chip-makers-warn-of-continued-gadget-shortages-through-1846197483

quote:

When the covid-19 pandemic began shutting the world down in late 2019 and early 2020, there was an early run on household supplies, followed by shortages of gadgets like webcams and laptops. Toilet paper is now readily available, but major hardware companies like Qualcomm, AMD, and Sony warn that chip shortages will continue to impact tech well into 2021.

When responding to a question during the company’s Q1 2021 earnings call, incoming Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon warned investors about chip shortages “across the entire industry.” Amon said these shortages aren’t limited just to new or high-end chips, but also “legacy nodes” used to make chips for broader markets like automotive and networking.

The chip shortage has affected the auto industry so acutely that in a letter seen by Reuters, Germany recently reached out to the Taiwanese government to ask for assistance to ease the shortage on chips used in cars. German Economy Minister Peter Altmaier specifically named Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co in his request.

“I would be pleased if you could take on this matter and underline the importance of additional semiconductor capacities for the German automotive industry to TSMC,” Altmaier wrote.

The pandemic has made people more wary of public transportation, which has boosted auto sales, but the shortage of automotive chips has also been amplified by a number of restrictions and bans placed upon Chinese chip makers by the Trump administration.

In fact, the shortage for automotive chips has gotten so bad that just this week, GM announced that it would be forced to shut down production for a week at four of its plants starting Feb. 8, with two additional plants scheduled to run at half capacity during that time.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Tj/Tjunc/Tjunction and TjMax/TjunctionMax are not the same term. One is a temperature measurement, the other is the maximum spec for that measurement.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Any known gotchas with Asrock B450m Pro boards? I have an acquaintance dealing with a lot of crashing, and I'm gently trying to guide them toward troubleshooting. I'm guessing RAM, but trying to get them to respond to questions is difficult. Any tips or tricks I can pass along?

Mine has been ok. Get them to change their XMP setting to auto, which should revert back to JDEC memory speeds. But if they don't want to answer your questions or respond, just let them deal with it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've never used an ASRock mobo so don't feel as confident in advice as I would if it was ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI.

Which processor? RAM is the most likely thing. I found that Corsair 3200 is being a bitch with these boards and dropping to 2133 doesnt help.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not sure if I placed the thermal paste optimally on my 5600x + Scythe mugen 5 rev b. I put a decent sized blob in the middle, but when I placed the heatsink it was pushing down more on one side than the other.

I get around 40C idle, 66 during AIDA64 stress test, 72 during Kingdom Come Deliverance with ultra settings. Does that sound alright? I don't think these temps are very high, but I saw a video of an installation of the same cooler and that guy got 53C during the same stress test. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PirateBob posted:

I'm not sure if I placed the thermal paste optimally on my 5600x + Scythe mugen 5 rev b. I put a decent sized blob in the middle, but when I placed the heatsink it was pushing down more on one side than the other.

I get around 40C idle, 66 during AIDA64 stress test, 72 during Kingdom Come Deliverance with ultra settings. Does that sound alright? I don't think these temps are very high, but I saw a video of an installation of the same cooler and that guy got 53C during the same stress test. :shrug:

Dunno in terms of vs what it could be, but those temps are absolutely fine.