Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Wife an I are thinking about getting a dog. While we are def leaning towards adopting . we were thinking of shopping for a Shiba Inu. Wondering if anyone of the cat parents in here are also Shiba Inu parents and how that goes. The interest seems to be looked in to this will lead to a dead cat.

All the dog websites say "socializing a dog and cat is doable if they're raised together from babies and you always keep an eye on them" which is think is dog person code for "the larger animal will eat the smaller one". Shiba Inus especially are known for having a strong hunting instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat has been acting scared for over a week since his last vet visit. I don't get it. He normally roams the house and hangs out wherever but now he's been spending most of his days in his enclosed cat house, and while he will occasionally come out, the moment he feels like something is off, he runs back there.

I don't know if something triggered him, or if he's feeling sick. He's eating / drinking/ using the litter box all the same otherwise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Woke up to pee and had to take this picture

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pidan posted:

All the dog websites say "socializing a dog and cat is doable if they're raised together from babies and you always keep an eye on them" which is think is dog person code for "the larger animal will eat the smaller one". Shiba Inus especially are known for having a strong hunting instinct.

Yeah, agreed. There are plenty of dogs that get along fine with cats, but there's no real way to know if a given dog will be okay until they are exposed to smaller animals.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yeah, not worth it to find out even if my wife is full time wfh and i likely will be but it hasn't been anounced. reason i asked here first is i wanted cat people opinions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've had 3 cats and 2 dogs socialize with each other and each experience varies differently:

- We had 2 cats and got an adult dog. The dog was an rear end in a top hat to said cats. It eventually became an uneasy peace between them.
- We then got a puppy. She was a very sweet dog but the cats didn't want anything to do with her. They ignored each other, which was fine.
- after the older dog and one of our cats passed away, we got another kitten. We held him while our dog sniffed him. After a couple "introductions" they loved each other and would sleep together in bed. One thing to note is that this cat still hated other dogs and would hide if someone came over with a different dog.

So yeah, basic thing I learned is socializing at a young age is the best.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Len posted:

:kimchi: what a mood, i end up with my feet sticking out the comforter too

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Marcie is also not very food driven which feels a bit odd compared to our previous cat who would pester us for food all day. She gets through a load of kibbles at night and asks for wet food in the morning but then just pushes it around for a while

She was crunching on some kibbles just now and I was going to take a photo, but she decided to show how much more prey driven she is than food driven

Rawr

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Len posted:

:3: Love having a kit under the covers!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
we brought home our two new cats, Bennett (m) and Lainey (f), both 11, on Sunday

since then Bennett has gotten pretty comfortable. he's explored all of one room, and though he prefers to sit in a corner or behind furniture he's perfectly happy to come out and accept fuss, and will sit on a lap though it takes him a little bit of turning round and round to find a comfortable position

meanwhile Lainey has spent every minute behind/under furniture, occasionally switching places during the night. we think she's eating some food, though it's kind of hard to say because Bennett will happily eat her food after finishing his own, even right in front of her

should we be trying to expose Lainey to more contact or should we just let her acclimatise at her own pace? we've been giving Bennett lots of fuss where she can see but it doesn't seem to be doing much, and we haven't seen much interaction between the two either

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Little Stentor has decided that, when he wants to sleep? The best possible place is inside of whatever jacket or fleece I am wearing. He climbs into my lap then starts purring and climbing up my chest whilst trying to climb inside. Obviously I let him.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Piper and the pupper becoming besties was my feelgood story of 2020.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pup doesn't look like it had much choice in the matter.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
She looks like she's under duress but

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

should we be trying to expose Lainey to more contact or should we just let her acclimatise at her own pace? we've been giving Bennett lots of fuss where she can see but it doesn't seem to be doing much, and we haven't seen much interaction between the two either

Definitely at her own pace - don't force them to do anything. Half a week is nothing for some cats, trying to expose a cat to more contact before it decides it's ready will just make it scared and upset.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, don't force her out of hiding. The best approach is to just hang out in her space, very deliberately don't pay attention to her, and just read or do another quiet activity; this will help her acclimate and get used to the idea that you aren't scary.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Y'all like kittens?

We got kittens. Two unsocialized 7-month-old sisters, testing the waters with the rest of my guys to see if they can deal with kittens in their room. First time working with unsocialized kittens, no shortage of unsocialized adults though - anything worth keeping in mind? Yes, I've got the rest of the staff too for questions/help, but I like asking you guys. And this way you get kitten pictures.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat has little horns on her little cat fingers!

I thought they were warts, but she has them in the same spot on several toes. So I looked it up. Turns out little horns on cat toes are a known phenomenon:

Warning: link contains medical images of cat paws with horns, first image is the worst.
http://messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm

Who'd have thought?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Where do you all get your catnip and other cat crack? We got some generic stuff and Ollie loves it, so I thought I would get him some other/better stuff.

I donated to dee eight's thingy to get some seeds to grow our own, but I would rather grow them outside and we are a few months away from that.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

One of my coworkers grows it at home and packs it up. Apparently pretty easy to grow at home and it's strong stuff. Sells it locally too. So that's definitely a good long term plan. I think it's manageable inside, at least as a test run? I'll have to ask.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HungryMedusa posted:

Where do you all get your catnip and other cat crack? We got some generic stuff and Ollie loves it, so I thought I would get him some other/better stuff.

I donated to dee eight's thingy to get some seeds to grow our own, but I would rather grow them outside and we are a few months away from that.

I just buy mine from dollar tree. I found this adorable pair of socks there I just fill up

rear end in a top hat approved

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
So I seems to have the opposite problem compared to a lot of new 2nd cat owners. 3yo Tonks did not give one single gently caress about our new 9mo Remus after about 2 weeks, but he gets very aggressive at night about sleeping in the bed with my wife and I. Its the dumbest thing because he likes to sleep under the covers between us, and she sleeps on top of the covers by my wife's feet.

Playing with him for a while in the evening gets that issue under control, but I'm not sure if he ever learned to play with other cats. If he wants to play, we get about 15 seconds of nice and then he's chomping down and she's crying out. Other than that, they will lie in the sun within a few feet of each other, eat from each others bowls without issue, share litter boxes, and will both lie on top of my wife when she's laying on the couch.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

JaneError posted:

She looks like she's under duress but

this is the dream, omg.

Patrat posted:

Little Stentor has decided that, when he wants to sleep? The best possible place is inside of whatever jacket or fleece I am wearing. He climbs into my lap then starts purring and climbing up my chest whilst trying to climb inside. Obviously I let him.

our little Kimchi is becoming increasingly vocal and when she wants cuddles she'll climb me while mewling until I hold her like the needy baby she is. cuddly kittens are the best :3:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
These two are also still getting along unless Kimchi awkwardly tries to play with a sleeping Katya by biting her face. Much to learn, this one.

And on the topic of cat-drugs, not sure if this is available everywhere but I just bought my second one of these. We affectionately call it The Crackweasel because it is of indeterminate shape, hideous, and the cats go NUTS for it.

It claims to be stuffed with catnip, silver vine and more "apothecary quality" cat-drugs and I believe it because it stinks to high heavens and a fresh one has Katya rolling around drooling all over it like a demented puppy. Highly recommend.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My cats are SOMETHING ELSE

https://twitter.com/VargatronXIV/status/1357156354423726081

https://twitter.com/VargatronXIV/status/1357024724409323521

https://twitter.com/VargatronXIV/status/1356963636946735105

https://twitter.com/VargatronXIV/status/1355252366056906752

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fffffffffff

Somehow fleas got brought into the apartment :( so now the struggle to remove the fleas from this place begins. Everything except the kitchen and bathroom is carpet :suicide:

The vet sold us Revolution Plus Green for the cats, we're going to go get a flea comb and give them baths today before we apply the stuff. But gently caress, how do we deal with the rest of the apartment? In theory it isn't a big problem yet because rear end in a top hat doesn't have any skin irritation and neither of us have been accosted by fleas. But i'm not sure how to proceed from here

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Vacuum frequently and consider getting a flea trap, wash all the bedding in hot cycles, let the Frontline do its job. It might take a couple months to eliminate fully but fleas are manageable, especially in a smaller space like an apartment. When using the comb pay extra attention to the back of the neck, behind the ears, the chest/chin/cheeks, base of the tail, and crotch. These are the warm places they can't always reach themselves so fleas congregate there.

"Flea dirt" (the crusty black stuff) is very obvious and once you stop seeing/feeling it on them it you'll be mostly in the clear.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Isn’t Revolution one of the obsolete brands of flea treatment?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
When you vacuum, take the vacuum outside and dump it immediately in trash a good distance away. Fleas are small, if you vacuum and let it sit they'll just crawl out.

When one of our cats had it we had a carpet cleaner come out and steam clean all the carpets and furniture while we steam washed all the bedding/clothes. Did the trick in a day.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Isn’t Revolution one of the obsolete brands of flea treatment?

Not that I've heard. Our vet still prescribes it for us.

It's now Revolution+, so maybe they've tweaked it a bit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Revolution is slower acting than a lot of other brands nowadays, which might be what you're thinking of (takes a day or two for full effectiveness instead of sub-12 hours). The upshot is that it's very safe, affordable in large quantities, and is effective against more than just fleas. We use it at the shelter as standard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gave both cats a bath. Bean took it better than Domino who howled the story of his people the entire time (and also peed himself) i didn't see any fleas come off the white cat during the process so hopefully that means we're catching this early and the fight won't be as hard.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You can also treat the carpets and upholstery cracks with "food grade diatomaceous earth". It is the ancient jagged skeletons of diatoms who lived in the water a long time ago. Ancient skeletons make everything better. For tiny insects it cuts up their carapaces and causes them to dehydrate to death.

Harmless to mammals, not poisonous at all, mostly silicon, some woo idiots eat it for woo health benefits. You shouldn't huff it because like any powder it can irritate your lungs and mucus membranes if you take a big snort, but it isn't dangerous. Also cheap as hell, I bought a $10 bag more than a decade ago and I'm not even half way through it.

You can find it in any garden center, it is used to kill aphids and whatnot in the garden without harming plants or poisoning produce. Also in the woo health supplement stores. Just make sure you get "food grade" there is also industrial grade stuff sold for swimming pool filters that isn't as safe.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kitten update: these guys are incredibly sweet and adjusting quickly. Still scared of me, but they're exploring some as long as I keep a little distance, they're okay with some of the old cats being right up next to them, and they're super happy to play with feather wands. Neither one can really catch it very well, they haven't actually figured out how to use their claws (at 7 months old), but they're happy to bat at it and occasionally catch it between a leg and one of the furniture pieces.
They'll come around quick, I think. Hopefully that leads to a home soon.

Kitten tax.

e: they've already gotten adoption applications, wow

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 6, 2021

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Does anyone have any recommendations for cat kicker toys that are incredibly durable?

Our cat really loves getting those hindpaws engaged and kicking the absolute hell out of stuff, but he's also a pretty long cat.
We got him a Kong kicker toy but he tore the thing in half in only a few kicks, right down the seam between the hessian and the patterned bit.

I think ideally something similar, but a single piece of hessian might work? Couldn't see anything that might suit from Google :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Synonymous posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cat kicker toys that are incredibly durable?

Our cat really loves getting those hindpaws engaged and kicking the absolute hell out of stuff, but he's also a pretty long cat.
We got him a Kong kicker toy but he tore the thing in half in only a few kicks, right down the seam between the hessian and the patterned bit.

I think ideally something similar, but a single piece of hessian might work? Couldn't see anything that might suit from Google :(

rear end in a top hat hasn't torn through his catnip sock yet and it's taken a helluva beating

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah gotcha, thanks for the info on Revolution. Had a terrible time trying to rid my dads house of fleas because he kept buying one of the obsolete brands of flea meds.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

SkyeAuroline posted:

e: they've already gotten adoption applications, wow

I mean can you blame people they're so floofy!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Ordered expensive handmade wall-units from Russia, paid out the nose in import fees, still worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mistaya posted:

I mean can you blame people they're so floofy!

They really are! They're also very in sync with one another:
https://i.imgur.com/featXFo.gifv
The person looking at taking them home has been working with ferals for a while now, so I'm hopeful that everything there pans out well, too.

Okay, now question time. This isn't really a pressing thing, more a "how do I help my boy feel better". So Jasper is an older cat (10 in June) with chronic upper respiratory infections all his life. He's been in and out of vets since he came in at a few months old, no permanent solution found for him; he responds fairly well to steroid shots but the effects wear off sooner than the safe interval between shots elapses, and equally troublesome... this boy was never socialized, and neither were either of his living siblings, until I started with the shelter a few years ago. I am the closest to a human he "trusts" and he gets scared and runs if I so much as pet him with a hand on the opposite side of him from the rest of my body. (He also runs if anyone, including me, even walks around near him.) This makes him near impossible for medicators to really work with, because he absolutely will not cooperate with anyone touching him except petting a few spots a few ways. They came out of a well-intentioned-neglect situation as kittens, they were found in the basement of an elderly couple who couldn't get up and down the stairs, so all the couple could do was toss food down the stairs to them. Have that be your formative months after birth...

All of that is background. What I'm actually asking about : I think he's got a combination of chest discomfort from the respiratory issues and way too much nervous energy from everything else that means he can't or won't even lay down "normally". He sleeps on his side exclusively, which is normal enough, but if he's awake he constantly props himself up on two legs to keep his chest elevated, and he's near completely unable to sit still on anything that's not flat where that's harder to balance. He doesn't overtly act like he's in pain, but he sure doesn't act comfortable either. I'm sure it's probably nothing, but with 200+ cats the professional attention is spread real thin, and I'll readily admit I went in pretty blind with this and the extent of my cat care knowledge is what I've picked up "on the job" or read about. Out of the rest of the shelter, only one or two ever does the same when I'm around to see it, and not near as constant as he does. So it might be normal, but if it is then we've got a lot of odd ones that don't.
Are there any warning signs I should keep an eye out for, or anything I might be able to do for him to make him more comfortable? I don't make medication or vet calls, I've passed info along when things have flared up worse for him though and they do help him. Just would like to bring the baseline quality of life up a bit for him. He's probably a permanent resident (ongoing life circumstances mean I still can't bring him home) so gotta make the time with us the best I can.

(I know he's bridging my legs in the latter, he does the same if I have them folded so it's flat for him, that's just the best recent photo I have of him.)