Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm kind of bummed to see how little interest there is in the themes that I like but at least I can go all in for Castle. It's proably going to be super fantasy castle stuff if it wins too. I am looking forward to complaining about it :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Now that pego consolidated the castle votes id be curious if they did the same with stuff after classic space.
I'm pretty sure the article says they did try it for other themes, but none but castle moved into the top 3.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah truthfully I thought all pre-2000s space was just generically termed classic space until I saw it marked separately in that poll. The super early blue/grey/yellow stuff definitely wouldn’t be my pick for the highlight, although it was well before my time tbf.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I haven't looked at the numbers, but Ice Planet not winning in a landslide means the election was stolen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like the idea of classic space, but I probably wouldn't like what they do for it. They'd likely stick to the trans yellow windows and I really don't like that color. Going for a different color would piss off the nerds who want exactly the same classic space sets they used to have. Also, I'll be disappointed if something is done with Pirates considering that theme just got a few sets.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CommanderApaul posted:

Bionicle gave us the parts that just let me build an official two legged pose-able mech with ACTUAL WORKING KNEES so I can't hate on it too much.

Bionicle wins because all the MOC dudes wanna build dragon mech robot anime things and I ain’t complaining.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Feenix posted:

Bionicle wins because all the MOC dudes wanna build dragon mech robot anime things and I ain’t complaining.

gently caress I really don't want Bionicle. That just isn't Lego to me. Castle, Classic Space or Pirates are all perfectly acceptable in my book.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

MajorBonnet posted:

Wasn't Bionicle one of the things that saved Lego? Or got it through their rough years?
Following up on this again, a comment from Mark Stafford at LEGO:

quote:

The only reason the company survived was the incredibly lucky timing of the brilliant and very popular home grown Bionicle theme and the internally controversial decision to license and make Star Wars sets - which turned out to a very good idea. Jorgen Vig* was put in charge, he made the hard call and made redundancies, they slashed the number of parts down to 6000** (a figure that has grown, but we're still below well below the 2003 total) - the company reorganized and analyzed all costs, design was finally linked to manufacturing cost and re-focused on the core business of making construction sets. The unprofitable LEGO Computer games business was shut down. (Some of these guys returned to the UK and started their own company called Travellers Tales, they then licensed the LEGO computer game business and freed from LEGO management (who know nothing about computer games) they still make the LEGO computer games today - making good money for all involved - including LEGO.)
*LEGO employee who audited the company in 2003 and became CEO in 2004
**down from over 12,000 in 2003

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...is that over 12,000 distinct shapes of LEGO brick?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Oxyclean posted:

What was the second try?

RoboRiders

I also think it's better to think of Slizers and RoboRiders as prototypes for Bionicle rather than Bionicle being the third attempt at the style, it was in planning for years before it was released.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

And I really hate that large curved 1/4 panel from the Ice Planet and Spyrius bases being used as a giant windscreen. I find it to be a very decadent and inappropriate use of that piece.

This I find really interesting. I've made several MOCs with that part as a windscreen and it always gets a good response, in part because the big M-Tron vehicle is such a popular set. What exactly is 'decadent and inappropriate' about it? And what do you consider an 'appropriate' use of that part?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Remastered Lego Island when?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't get the love for ice planet. I think the colors are garish. I am not a fan of the black/green space stuff but neon orange, white and blue just makes my eyes scream.

I think doing new space stuff would be good. Space sets in general sell better than average and it's okay to have stuff other than star wars.

In terms of pure aesthetic, I think the western stuff has really stood the test of time. All those old sets still look good. Probably because western buildings were pretty simple. But kids aren't really into cowboys and indians any more so it's probably not something that would be popular for the youngsters. Also, lego movies/benny are still in kids minds so seeing lots of Benny figures and spaceships is likely to draw interest.

And castles and dragons and fantasy are always going to be popular.

So what I am saying is space castles with benny dragons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

Yes, bioncle was an enormous success for them.

I personally hate everything about the theme but it's not my generation of lego stuff so my opinion is kind of worthless.

Bionicle sucks but it was like Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles for people of a certain age. It shouldn't have been listed with the other themes because the appeal is barely related to Lego.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Waltzing Along posted:

So what I am saying is space castles with benny dragons.

This was pretty much Nexo Knights and it owned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part of nexo knights was the mohawk demons.

And the trans orange technic bits.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't get the love for ice planet. I think the colors are garish.

Yeah but trans orange chainsaws.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
skis

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

...is that over 12,000 distinct shapes of LEGO brick?

shapes and color combinations/prints

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
There was a comment on one of their insta posts saying the medevial set listed is supposed to be a creator castle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Duvel posted:

There was a comment on one of their insta posts saying the medevial set listed is supposed to be a creator castle.

Yeah the product number means it's a 3-in-1

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I wish Adventurers had placed higher, but I can't be too mad because we did just get a new one.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

MajorBonnet posted:

I haven't looked at the numbers, but Ice Planet not winning in a landslide means the election was stolen.

Much like most voting, the results just provide me an overwhelming sense of loneliness. Seeing Ice Planet and Aquazone do so poorly lets me know the things I love are not as loved by others. As I think about it more I would have really loved some ranked choice voting on this. Lego could have easily done it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

veni veni veni posted:

Bionicle sucks but it was like Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles for people of a certain age. It shouldn't have been listed with the other themes because the appeal is barely related to Lego.

Some of us are of a certain age where classic space is that thing.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ice Planet is objectively the best because it came out when I was 8. :colbert:

And also this:

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah but trans orange chainsaws.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

As a kid, I trusted Lego's vision of 2002 with the Ice Planet theme. The real 2002 aesthetic kinda sucked hard.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

I just finished the bottom floor of the new blacksmith and it's awesome. The tree makes great use of parts i would never expect in a tree.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Earth posted:

Much like most voting, the results just provide me an overwhelming sense of loneliness. Seeing Ice Planet and Aquazone do so poorly lets me know the things I love are not as loved by others. As I think about it more I would have really loved some ranked choice voting on this. Lego could have easily done it.

Lego genres are like indie bands. If you like one that everyone else doesn't it's because it's clearly superior and everyone else is just wrong. But if they did figure it out and glom onto it, rocketing it to the top of the charts, then it's clearly too mainstream and you'd have to switch.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tuo posted:

shapes and color combinations/prints
Yeah! Well, technically, he could have just been referring to unique molds, but usually when LEGO assesses its library of parts, what it's counting is unique part IDs, which is any specific combination of part, color, and print, like you said. Spot on.

As an example, I'll use a part that only comes in a few colors, the minifigure hand fan.

This is part 93553, but it doesn't count as just 1 piece to LEGO because it comes in a few colors: black, dark red, and trans-clear. That's 3 unique design IDs: 4652470, 4618135, and 6156357. There's also a variation with a logogram print - element ID 27291 - in trans-clear, design ID 6157651. There's actually one more printed variant that I can't even find a design ID for that was part of a TRU Bricktober exclusive. The point is, this 1 part, available in 3 solid colors plus 2 printed variants, is considered 5 different parts in LEGO's library.

This has a lot of ramifications when you consider questions like "why didn't LEGO just make part X in this other color to match this set better?" or "why did this design have to be a sticker, not a print?" (an entire sticker sheet is only 1 ID) Because every previously unused color/part combo is a new "piece" and any new print is also a new "piece" and designers get a limited budget of how many such new pieces they can introduce for a given set, theme, or season.

Sometimes, sets even come in UNDER their budget, which is usually when you start getting pleasantly surprised by a unique printed piece in a set that otherwise uses a lot of stickers, or situations like the Ship In A Bottle set, where a bunch of internal hidden elements were previously-unseen dark turquoise pieces. They had extra parts in the budget and wanted to help reintroduce dark turquoise by making more pieces in that color.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

davebo posted:

Lego genres are like indie bands. If you like one that everyone else doesn't it's because it's clearly superior and everyone else is just wrong. But if they did figure it out and glom onto it, rocketing it to the top of the charts, then it's clearly too mainstream and you'd have to switch.

Then there's UFO

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I’ll still bemoan the lack of any Hidden Side media. Looking at the sets, there’s clearly some well thought out lore behind it all, but they’ve never really explained it out to the public. It certainly wasn’t in the AR game. :saddowns:

They made a bunch of animated shorts and some full episodes i think? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRNbTEZ7dhL3XtxdLVKfGOPuZgyNZd7CD

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Then there's UFO
Hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYfyZK1RoK8

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I like the idea of classic space, but I probably wouldn't like what they do for it. They'd likely stick to the trans yellow windows and I really don't like that color. Going for a different color would piss off the nerds who want exactly the same classic space sets they used to have. Also, I'll be disappointed if something is done with Pirates considering that theme just got a few sets.
Well don't forget classic space is really 3 styles: grey & blue with yellow windows, grey with green windows (not so much in Canada for whatever reason), and white & blue with blue windows.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chris Knight posted:

Well don't forget classic space is really 3 styles: grey & blue with yellow windows, grey with green windows (not so much in Canada for whatever reason), and white & blue with blue windows.

You forgot all grey which is the first year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

_Gumby posted:

They made a bunch of animated shorts and some full episodes i think? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRNbTEZ7dhL3XtxdLVKfGOPuZgyNZd7CD

Holy poo poo, this is the first I’ve ever heard of these. Good job, Lego?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Some of us are of a certain age where classic space is that thing.

That's not really the same thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's weird how no one cares about futuron except for the monorail. Because when it was a new subtheme it was the poo poo. Space figures with visors! Little zippers on the torso! Futuristic white color scheme!

The articulation of the sets were fun too. The plate hinges weren't terribly durable in a young kid's hands but the mechs they let you build were worth it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

You forgot all grey which is the first year.
Fair! I was thinking more of the larger sets.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
You're all wrong, the best Lego theme is monster fighters.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Cloks posted:

You're all wrong, the best Lego theme is monster fighters.

Wait... what? When was this a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fappenmeister posted:

Wait... what? When was this a thing?

Like 8 or 10 years ago. It was all steampunk mans vs Hammer horror monsters.