Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Snyder fans fans are just as mean and belittling as his critics I don’t know where the idea they aren’t comes from. Especially in CD but I think that’s more how SA does these kind of arguments.

Banning Snyder chat is probably for the best as both sides get really heated about what is functionally just dumb punch man movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ayn Rand was a poo poo person who wrote trash ideology wank and I'm content at her doom and disappearance from the world.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Roth posted:

I don't know if you've read it, but Cine D did have one of my favorite forum reads ever which was about Bayformers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571842

That is actually one of the very threads I got chased out of lol I gave up on CD being a productive place for conversations after that :shrug:

josh04 posted:

I'll just read my posts in a video and then they'll be unassaible criticism that the thread isn't allowed to tell me I'm an idiot for saying.

I know you're saying this as some kind of own but honestly? Yeah! You making carefully thought-out and scripted essays would be a much better use of your time than starting the 10th Snyder slap fight in this thread tbh.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jimbot posted:

What kind of sicko...!

I'm goofing! You watch Returns in recent times? That film is such a weird, unfiltered thing. It's Tim Burton being the most Tim Burton by way of Batman. I think he really likes the rogue gallery of villains Batman has. Returns felt like a film the studio had to step in and ask "so, where's Batman?" and he just threw the character in there to placate them. Not sure about his work these days but 90's Burton-directed film about any one of those villains would have probably been pretty amazing and weird.

Returns rules. There's a lack of restraint to it that I appreciate from a directorial style.

Like how people get tired of Kojima's usual quirks, and I think they're just kind of rule.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think CD is a chill place most of the time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

On Batman movies, I genuinely cannot watch Dark Knight Rises, I disliked the first viewing and ever since I don't think I've watched it all the way through once and it's for the most dumb nerd thing or whatever, but I absolutely hate croaky idiot voice, stupid voice filtering half-mask, white guy who's shorter and less muscular than Batman version of Bane that it made, he should've been another character, because with that drastic and stupid of a redesign, he already is an entirely other character just wearing an established cool guy's name. Genuinely my favorite Batman and possibly DC villain and top tier character in Batman as a thing for me, so that movie via that just makes me kinda grit my teeth at how much I hate that entire makeover.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
maybe investing so much of your personality into superhero movies might wind up having negative consequences when trying to engage with people whose egos arent intrinsically linked with whether or not they like batman. whose to say

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Most of this guy's videos are about historical sword-fighting, which is pretty blah to me, but this video about how medieval Europeans walked absolutely fascinates me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszwYNvvCjQ

Until I saw it, I had always wondered why people in illustrated manuscripts always look like they're prancing around.
I had never made the connection between ball-walking and tapestry prancing, but I'm also surprised it was apparently a mystery nobody could figure out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

I have seen this before, and I'm not sure what to think about it? The video man makes a good case, but I've also read articles debating his findings so I'm like :shrug: . Since the archeological record shows that humans have been heel-toe walkers since the beginning, would the type of shoe change the stride that much?

The video description has an addendum where he says he no longer considers the video to be a complete account of footwear and gait, but I'm not curious enough to subscribe to his patreon to see the updated video.

You could maybe hypothesize that people who have never worn any type of footwear have much more extensively calloused feet and are at much less risk of injury than people whose feet are kept soft by shoes? Earlier cultures definitely had hard-soled shoes, so we'd be looking at a specific time and place in considering these soft-soled leather shoes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Roth posted:

Returns rules. There's a lack of restraint to it that I appreciate from a directorial style.

Like how people get tired of Kojima's usual quirks, and I think they're just kind of rule.

Agreed. The part in which Bruce and Slina are making out and accidentally touching where they injured each other in their earlier fight as Batman and Catwoman was both cool and hilarious to my 11-year-old self.

That, and sending penguins with rockets to kill every firstborn like some circus-goth Old Testament punishment. It's the kind of performatic craziness that always tickles me right.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am also, by the way, on the side of anything that pisses off Moviebob

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Returns is an absolutely wonderful movie. Top tier cape film

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, and what of it!! It’s a fun time and makes you have a silly voice

I mean, no judgement here, you do you in whatever way helps you navigate this wild thread.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Returns is an absolutely wonderful movie. Top tier cape film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5bkDZ331Yg

Hecks yeah.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Returns has one of Elfman's finest scores as well, like his score for Batman and Edward Scissorhands made love and birthed a child.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Burtons version of Gotham is still the best.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, and what of it!! It’s a fun time and makes you have a silly voice

Just wanted to say you're one of my favorite posters in this thread CP. Never change :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

maybe investing so much of your personality into superhero movies might wind up having negative consequences when trying to engage with people whose egos arent intrinsically linked with whether or not they like batman. whose to say

fun hater
May 24, 2009

burton understood superhero films like no one else did, but he also got to make superhero films in a way we're probably not going to see again in a long time. they're so silly and irreverent while maintaining an internal deadly seriousness that keeps the whole thing from falling apart. the tone is pretty much exactly what i miss from the genre; its impossible to find now without it being seeped in cynicism or irony.

e: it turns out im a guy who cares about batman too...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Personally just really glad that JLA exists and is really good so regardless of the quality of the Snyder cut there is a Justice League property I can go back to and really enjoy if the need strikes me. :)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay, so why would a lack of any easily googled articles before March 17th, 2016 mean that everyone since then has been mindlessly parroting it after reading that article? Was it not possible to have similar interpretations separate from that?

Can you find any articles or anyone making that comparison about it before March 17th? Because I've tried, and I'm genuinely curious if you can find anything. If this is such an obvious observation more people would have made it before that article. Is it possible to have made that connection separate from that? Sure, anything is possible.

I just don't find it particularly likely. To clarify a bit, I'm not saying they got it from that article specifically, Maybe they picked it up from some youtube channel or a forum post, but that article is absolutely where I believe it first started spreading. Whenever I ask why they think Snyder (or his work) is objectivist the response is almost always "Well he wants to adapt the fountainhead, obviously! That's it. That's the extent of the argument. He wants to adapt the fountainhead, ergo, he's an objectivist.

It's also interesting to me that it's always Snyders films that are painted as objectivist, when Howard Roark Tony Stark is right there and a far better comparison to the randian ubermench. I mean, iron man 2 could have been ghostwritten by Rand.

Yardbomb posted:

Ayn Rand was a poo poo person who wrote trash ideology wank and I'm content at her doom and disappearance from the world.

If only she could have taken her dumbass ideology with her, many a forum derails could have been avoided

Roth posted:

I am also, by the way, on the side of anything that pisses off Moviebob

I think this is the one thing that unifies everyone in this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fun hater posted:

burton understood superhero films like no one else did, but he also got to make superhero films in a way we're probably not going to see again in a long time. they're so silly and irreverent while maintaining an internal deadly seriousness that keeps the whole thing from falling apart. the tone is pretty much exactly what i miss from the genre; its impossible to find now without it being seeped in cynicism or irony.

e: it turns out im a guy who cares about batman too...

I don’t care for Burton’s films but you defintely feel like he has a vision and trying to make the best version of that vision.

Then you get Batman and robin which is the opposite

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

If only she could have taken her dumbass ideology with her, many a forum derails could have been avoided

especially because one of the best ways to defuse objectivism seems to be having someone experience it right from the source, instead of its watered-down reinterpretations from other media. rand was her own worst advocate

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Yardbomb posted:

On Batman movies, I genuinely cannot watch Dark Knight Rises, I disliked the first viewing and ever since I don't think I've watched it all the way through once and it's for the most dumb nerd thing or whatever, but I absolutely hate croaky idiot voice, stupid voice filtering half-mask, white guy who's shorter and less muscular than Batman version of Bane that it made, he should've been another character, because with that drastic and stupid of a redesign, he already is an entirely other character just wearing an established cool guy's name. Genuinely my favorite Batman and possibly DC villain and top tier character in Batman as a thing for me, so that movie via that just makes me kinda grit my teeth at how much I hate that entire makeover.

Tom Hardy's dumb arse accent is good for a laugh at least. It's unsuprising that it didn't age well at all though, if I remember correctly it was taking shots at Occupy Wall Street, which was doomed to date it pretty hard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It also spends a lot of time sucking off the police which didn’t age well

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

*rolls down my window* it's because snyder is a fascist! enjoy the next ten pages! *speeds off while the horn plays la cucaracha*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

as someone who only really likes the X-Men, comic book movies are a waste of time and none of them should have been made

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alright but none of this answers why Snyder made Steppenwolf look even worse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vagabong posted:

Tom Hardy's dumb arse accent is good for a laugh at least. It's unsuprising that it didn't age well at all though, if I remember correctly it was taking shots at Occupy Wall Street, which was doomed to date it pretty hard.

He sounds like a drunk Alec Guinness, which is a positive in my book.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

*rolls down my window* it's because snyder is a fascist! enjoy the next ten pages! *speeds off while the horn plays la cucaracha*

*plops protest sign down in front of Warner Bros*

MAKE A LIVE ACTION KRYPTO SHOW

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hey, its that dog!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

The living metal armor Steppenwolf is pretty amazing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the cw should be given exclusive creative control over every comics property ever made

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

No, quick, maybe Disenchantment can pull us out of this. I feel it's a fine show but also a sign that Groening isn't evolving, since it's already surpassed by competitors like Final Space.

it was ok. i like the concept but i didnt watch much of it.

Vagabong posted:

yeah. The Dark Knight still works even if it has some weird bad messages but i prefer the hopefull message of "jokers wrong about people and society" to "idk occupy bad or easily duped poo poo" like the vaguness of the world in nolan movies usualy works and i sorta liked it in the first 2 batman movies but its loving awful and dumb in DKR. the world building doesnt work. its trying to do a sorta soft reboot but it doesnt work because its just "lol batman hosed off for 10 years or some poo poo and i guess their was a RICO type act named after dent because they lied about how he went nuts and murdered some assholes"

Ghostlight posted:

i get more of a libertarian rear end in a top hat vibe from him but neither helps him make movies. i think he makes "cool looking" movies but the rest of it just sucks in my opinion. i loving hate his takes on superman and its not even the "huur he killed zod" thing. its just he doesn't understand the concept of superman and poo poo. but i am someone who hasnt liked DC live action movies in years outside shazam. i have been disliking them before zack came along, he just didnt help.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jimbot posted:

The living metal armor Steppenwolf is pretty amazing.

It looks really loving bad which is impressive because the character already looked like rear end.

I didn't ask "why did he make it look worse" because it looked good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

So he can give himself Snyder Cuts when he puts the armor on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Every year a new Snyder cut which ends with Wolf being a stick figure crispy CGed in

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

Who doesn't love an edgy villain?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't know what Steppenwolf was actually supposed to look like until recently and I'm not sure why they didn't go with his normal look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

fun hater posted:

the cw should be given exclusive creative control over every comics property ever made

Eh I watch those shows and they spin their wheels far too much. Even legends which benefits from shorter seasons has too much wasted time.