Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

R.D. Mangles posted:

who is the questionable quarterback who is not very good that you are pinning your hopes on? Me, I'm a Minshew man. My dad, on the other hand, thinks the Bears should look into Ryan Fitzpatrick Very Strongly.

As appealing as seeing Tyrod Taylor flip dimes to Riley Ridley sounds, I'm pretty convinced that the Bears have talked themselves into idea that the only thing holding back Nick Foles was the fact that he had to split snaps with Mitch in training camp.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they signed Tyrod.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

And they should absolutely draft the guy from Northwestern in the 4th round, I'll take your response off the air

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How many white guys driving Toyotas can we get on this team exactly?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
can I interest Chicago in a slightly used quarterback who drives a slightly used van?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/why-kirk-cousins-drives-his-grandmas-van

e: NFC North: Lemons in Lemons

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1356604324877651968

Some pretty interesting names here.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ghosthorse posted:

can I interest Chicago in a slightly used quarterback who drives a slightly used van?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/why-kirk-cousins-drives-his-grandmas-van

Been There Done That

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-mitchell-trubisky-shows-up-to-bears-rookie-camp-in-his-grandmas-car/

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

I know, I figured it's the only metric Chicago's front office cares about. Think how much more money Kirk has than Mitch too. You can't afford not to trade for him!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Lure Watson to Minnesota with the promise of kicking the hell out of the Bears twice a year* for the next several years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Lure Watson to Minnesota with the promise of kicking the hell out of the Bears twice a year* for the next several years.

hey now, the only good win of the bears season was against him

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The Bears have won 5 of the last 6 against the Vikings. It's our turn now, and Watson's hatred will fuel us

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ghosthorse posted:

So the guy who keeps talking about human trafficking drives a big van? Hmmm...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ThePackersWire/status/1356609165930684422

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

who is the questionable quarterback who is not very good that you are pinning your hopes on? Me, I'm a Minshew man. My dad, on the other hand, thinks the Bears should look into Ryan Fitzpatrick Very Strongly.

Nah, double down on Bears Football(tm). Draft 1-2 additional running QBs (should be cheap). Run the read option, treating all three (plus Trubisky) as semi-disposable. Try to win games 10-7.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

So the guy who keeps talking about human trafficking drives a big van? Hmmm...

It’s always projection with Trumpists.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ghosthorse posted:

Well, according to Ryan Pace, what car you drive is the most important quality of being a QB in the NFL. So sure, bring him on! :rolleyes:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gaj70 posted:

Nah, double down on Bears Football(tm). Draft 1-2 additional running QBs (should be cheap). Run the read option, treating all three (plus Trubisky) as semi-disposable. Try to win games 10-7.

running triple option with montgomery and cohen and throwing a jump ball to allen robinson every 10th play is a much better offense than whatever the hell we've had the last 30 years

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

jesus christ I was kidding about biting close to home

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/VikesCentral/status/1356338994808823808?s=19

lol there's no way after the Stafford deal they're letting him go for less than some firsts

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Plus trading Kirk for Jimmy G is a full on admission its rebuild time, and there is no way Zim / Spielman are doing that this year.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

ghosthorse posted:

https://twitter.com/VikesCentral/status/1356338994808823808?s=19

lol there's no way after the Stafford deal they're letting him go for less than some firsts

I mean, :lol: gently caress the 49ers and all, but Kirk was who he’s always been under Shanahan, too.

He didn’t go to Minnesota and get worse. Why does Kyle Shanahan think he’s going to be any better in SF?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah that seems like an insane overpay by the Niners. The Niners must think a lot more of Cousins than I do.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't really watch a lot of the Vikings or the 49ers but I didn't really think Cousins and Garoppolo were that far apart. Injuries aside, of course.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't really watch a lot of the Vikings or the 49ers but I didn't really think Cousins and Garoppolo were that far apart. Injuries aside, of course.

Garoppolo is Cousins without all of the insane garbage time stat padding.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

Cousins on paper is arguably one of the elite QB's in the game right now going only off of TDs, qb rating, pass completion etc stats. He's at least top ten for most of the important qb metrics. But he's also had one of the best receiving duos in the league with Thielen/Diggs and now Thielen/Jefferson. I think it's probably a case of Shanahan wanting someone reliably good enough.

He's absolutely a step up from Jimmy G but also never been worth what Minnesota is paying him. He's a good quarterback with a good offense around him and the inverse is also true. Not a guy that can turn an ok offense into something better but also not going to make it worse. Kirk Cousins is as exciting on the field as he is off of it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
cousins has weirdly been tops in a/ya and y/a for a long, long time (he's 7th in ay/a among active players) and its hard to explain other than garbage time and careful play to not have too many ints until this year

just like rodgers refusing to take risky throws makes it so its impossible for him to come back against above average teams , stat padding in a different way!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 3, 2021

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Yeah if I was Minnesota I'd be pulling this trigger post-haste. I don't think that means "rebuild". It's a deal to get rid of a bad (I think?) contract AND get some extra picks to help your team.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Honestly its not even a "Garbage time" stats.

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/1356658064242454529

He is someone who runs very hot and cold. When he is on, he is really good, but he wilts when the scheme breaks down too often, or he starts getting pressured reliably.

I think of him more of a flatballer. He does very well against bad teams and racks up good numbers, but against good competition his flaws show up a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I mean, Andy Dalton is a free agent if the Niners really want to play mediocre quarterback roulette.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

Paint Crop Pro posted:

He is someone who runs very hot and cold. When he is on, he is really good, but he wilts when the scheme breaks down too often, or he starts getting pressured reliably.

This is what bugs me the most about his play, too many drives turn into three and outs because he curls up under pressure and takes the sack. This preseason they talked up his training and building towards being faster and scrambling when the pocket breaks but he only really ever ran on designed plays. Every other time when the pocket collapsed he just took the hit and never tried to take off or throw under pressure. His stats look better because he plays more conservatively than he votes.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

ghosthorse posted:

This is what bugs me the most about his play, too many drives turn into three and outs because he curls up under pressure and takes the sack. This preseason they talked up his training and building towards being faster and scrambling when the pocket breaks but he only really ever ran on designed plays. Every other time when the pocket collapsed he just took the hit and never tried to take off or throw under pressure. His stats look better because he plays more conservatively than he votes.

In fairness, after those first few games, the coaching staff could have told him to stop forcing the action.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

is kirk cousins elite

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

by the numbers, possibly technically.
by the amount of NVP wins, absolutely not.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

rabidsquid posted:

is kirk cousins elite

No.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Honestly its not even a "Garbage time" stats.

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/1356658064242454529

I think of him more of a flatballer. He does very well against bad teams and racks up good numbers, but against good competition his flaws show up a lot.

Good description of Rodgers but I thought we were talking about Kirk.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Kirk is worth two firsts, a third, and a Jimmy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1357340476873998338

Matt Patricia is a bad coach, news at eleven

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Hire Muscle Coach to swoop in and give uplifting speeches to high school kids that are having a tough time.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This tweet had a link to a new Deadspin article making GBS threads on Stafford that was arguably dumber than yesterday's article. Why can't Deadspin just die.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sataere posted:

This tweet had a link to a new Deadspin article making GBS threads on Stafford that was arguably dumber than yesterday's article. Why can't Deadspin just die.

Deadspin did die. It’s a puppeted corpse at this point.

The Deadspin writers are all at Defector now. It’s subscriber-only, but I can read it in Safari on my iPhone as long as I clear the history first. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Deadspin did die. It’s a puppeted corpse at this point.

The Deadspin writers are all at Defector now. It’s subscriber-only, but I can read it in Safari on my iPhone as long as I clear the history first. :shrug:

Yeah, I know. I'm rooting for the puppeted corpse to burn!