Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

This is entirely unrelated to anything but possibly tangentially related to the management thread, but I just have wanted to say for a while that I am glad that I am not the only person who played clonk.de when I was younger :v:

God, Clonk ate up so much of my time when I was younger. I think I racked up hundreds of hours in that game. The pure bliss of making an underground base on that map that slowly floods with rain was super fun. Having fights to the death with my friend when we put on Knight gear.

I swear that game is an absolute gem and a developer needs to pick it back up again. I used to check updates on the new 3D Clonk daily, was sad when they announced they were quitting on the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
oh dang other clonk players??? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I am digging all these cool factory games right now. I think Satisfactory won my heart out of all of them for now. But I'm a bit concerned because it doesn't seem to have an actual "end game" yet that I've seen.

I do miss the stackable containers from DSP tho.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Philthy posted:

Man, I am digging all these cool factory games right now. I think Satisfactory won my heart out of all of them for now. But I'm a bit concerned because it doesn't seem to have an actual "end game" yet that I've seen.

For some, Satisfactory end game currently is getting enough turbo motor production and AWESOME sinks to buy one of everything from the AWESOME store, including the 1000 ticket item. Others try to tap every resource node on the map and do something with it. There's probably a substantial overlap of the two groups.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Philthy posted:

Endgame is unlocking nuclear power, staring at how much stuff that needs, and then deciding you're done until 1.0 drops! :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Endgame is unlocking nuclear power, staring at how much stuff that needs, and then deciding you're done until 1.0 drops! :v:

I'd love it if they could get procedural worlds going and you can make a ship and fly to another planet to start mining on like DSP.

Maybe an overall goal to have reached a certain amount of resource production which would usually take 5 or so planets fully decked out, or maybe 10-20 that are half-assed.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Ostensibly you are preparing the planet for colonization, so maybe a good "sink" would be building cities of some type? I can build a wonder factory eight stories tall, I could probably build a fun arcology

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Grevlek posted:

Ostensibly you are preparing the planet for colonization, so maybe a good "sink" would be building cities of some type? I can build a wonder factory eight stories tall, I could probably build a fun arcology

Where did you read that? I've interpreted the "Project Assembly" and sending resources up a space elevator as starting a space mega project or something.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBVE1eMEuQ8

*fist pumps*

yes

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

*fist pumps*

yes

So my first thought is "I wonder if you can succeed by just running a legit fast food chain". :v:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So my first thought is "I wonder if you can succeed by just running a legit fast food chain". :v:

No Popeye's chicken sandwich, no buy!!!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Question for those of you playing DSP: Do you build out constructors for all buildings, or does it make more sense to keep common raw materials? Like clearly I should automate belts, shovers, and assemblers, but what about things like oil extractors?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Question for those of you playing DSP: Do you build out constructors for all buildings, or does it make more sense to keep common raw materials? Like clearly I should automate belts, shovers, and assemblers, but what about things like oil extractors?

Don't forget there's a DSP thread, linked in the OP. It's ok to ask questions here, but you may get a better response to a question there.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I started out with assemblers for the stuff that's made of basic components (stone, iron, gears, circuits and coils (copper in itself only indirectly needed for buildings)), then handcrafted mkIIs and the other stuff like oil and chemicals until I started feeling the need for mass production and by that point had logistics to simplify it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Get belts, inserters, splitters, assemblers, power poles and furnaces up at least ASAP. As you go along automate other stuff as needed/required. Honestly setting up your first logistics building or chemical plants you really don't need to automate them, but it later becomes a matter of convenience as instead of going "...and now I need to remember where I put THIS resource to build my doohickey" you go "And now I grab a couple stacks of chemical plants from my item mall." which is much easier.

Also your item mall doesn't have to be fast or efficient, it just needs to be fast enough to have the items you need next time you come around.

Oh and as a side note I found the oil extractor and refinery oddly convenient to automate early on because they use the X-Ray emitter which is only shared by the long-range pole. Instead of dealing carrying those around in my inventory (or a bunch of glass and chips) for a single pair of rarely used buildings it was surprisingly convenient to not deal with that when I set up an assembler for each near my power pole factory.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 2, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tangent to DSP, I wanna talk buffering.

I found in my early game testing I found that even when I have optimized builds the act of building takes enough time that buffers are worthwhile. Especially when your sole power source is the constantly producing wind turbines. Especially since the belts don't hold much, and there is no easy "F key hover vacuum" mechanic. Especially since the research tree has a finite calculatable end. But this is all red/blue first planet observations.

Post space, you enter post scarcity, but you still want buffers cuz lmao you ain't coming back to this planet for like 4 hours.

Other games too I guess. Kenshi has made me keenly aware of buffers and storage with my Hub renovation project.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got a notification that Foundation was on sale and checked my wishlist, I had a good laugh at this:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

no easy "F key hover vacuum" mechanic.

Not quite, but if you select a belt piece it will tell you what's on it, if you hold mouse1 over that icon, it will hoover things as they pass the belt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3WzxpdUc0

Los Pollos Hermanos, The Game

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Where did you read that? I've interpreted the "Project Assembly" and sending resources up a space elevator as starting a space mega project or something.

If I recall correctly, they mention this during the "intro" of the game, before you are officially at tech level 1. Also there are posters in the HUB that indicate you are a colonist. the wikipedia article also states you are colonizing the planet, though it doesn't explicitly state you are preparing it for colonization for others.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wasn't paying too much attention to the intro because of how much oogling I was doing at the graphics. The only thing I remember is that they explicitly said my purpose was to create the elevator and sending up items was my primary objective. It seems open ended right now, I just hope they do have an end game in mind because drat id hate to see this wither away.

I also started naming all the creatures. Bobo likes to hang out at my main base.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 2, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

transatlantic HSR from London to Boston via Halifax :yeshaha:

barnold fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 3, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

barnold posted:

transatlantic rail HSR from London to Boston via Halifax :yeshaha:

Sorry, transatlantic rail? What are you doing, hijacking Rapture's railroad in the middle?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sorry, transatlantic rail? What are you doing, hijacking Rapture's railroad in the middle?

yes, sadly the bathyspheres have the ROW along that bit in the middle so you get to experience a lot of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea while waiting for the signals

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

barnold posted:

yes, sadly the bathyspheres have the ROW along that bit in the middle so you get to experience a lot of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea while waiting for the signals

just laying down alternate lines like

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I appreciate that the inbound and outbound lines presumably put you somewhere in the home counties and at brighton

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I appreciate that the inbound and outbound lines presumably put you somewhere in the home counties and at brighton

tunnel hits land north of Truro and then just kinda curves all the way past heathrow into london haha. it's all tunnel :toot:

here's the US route. eventually i'm going to have worldwide rail, but the problem is that the maximum distance you can build a section of rail is so small that it takes ages to get anywhere. going across the ocean was a pain in the rear end in a top hat

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'll be really happy with NIMBY once he gets a few patches out there.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
i haven't been on SA in ages, but years ago there was a goon who was working on a cities skylines/sc4 inspired game with REAL CURVES.

did anything ever come about from that? last i checked in on his project he had just been starting to code traffic simulation, but that's the last i remember.

It looked amazing cause I want nothing more than sim city 4, but runs good on modern computers. Cities Skylines is ok, but it's missing a certain something that sc4 had, and i don't quite know how to put that something into words, but I'll also take recs for similar games, since i just got a new laptop and the idea of redownloading 5 gb worth of mods again is...well, i'd rather start fresh with a new game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

AA is for Quitters posted:

i haven't been on SA in ages, but years ago there was a goon who was working on a cities skylines/sc4 inspired game with REAL CURVES.

did anything ever come about from that? last i checked in on his project he had just been starting to code traffic simulation, but that's the last i remember.

It looked amazing cause I want nothing more than sim city 4, but runs good on modern computers. Cities Skylines is ok, but it's missing a certain something that sc4 had, and i don't quite know how to put that something into words, but I'll also take recs for similar games, since i just got a new laptop and the idea of redownloading 5 gb worth of mods again is...well, i'd rather start fresh with a new game.

Were you thinking of citybound?

https://aeplay.org/citybound

if so i think he's still plugging away at it

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

explosivo posted:

Looks like Hammerting got a decently large update today that fixes a lot of AI and logic issues and adds some new tweaks like a new weapon equip menu which was desperately needed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

oh hell yeah, i've been hooked on hammerting and i just decided to put it down for a while because dorfs getting stuck on elevators was causing corrupt save issues

this is a nice changelog, drat

If you both play it, feel free to give us new feedback :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finding out that Hammerting is a goon dev game and that it's improving got me to go ahead and pull the trigger. Not sure when I'll play it, but here, take my money and make better game with it.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

queeb posted:

Were you thinking of citybound?

https://aeplay.org/citybound

if so i think he's still plugging away at it

yes! it's come a long way from the very crude models he had a few years ago, glad to know he's still working on it!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I was building stuff as needed until I finally went ahead and built one of these mega assembler malls, made things much better having a line of storage with all of my basic machines and items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Db7qZp5VyE

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zerf posted:

there seems to be a lot of numbercrunch in jobs and job assignments, but many of them don't seem useful. i don't build farmer rakes because i have little need for farmed products, mostly just grain for beer and hardtack. thus, no dedicated farmers. otherwise my dorfs just eat rat meat and mushroom soup. it's odd that anyone can farm with any weapon, but access to cooking is gated behind holding a ladle. so i have some cooks but no farmers

likewise, some tools seem pointless given the speed at which you get direct improvements. i don't see a use for butcher's axes, and right now the prospector's pick seems strictly inferior given how infrequently exploration comes into play (though i understand this may be a roadmap milestone)

i don't see a purpose for the fancy stairs right now. i'm assuming they will be better once fortress beauty matters. also, there is currently no need to build the tavern or great hall, for similar reasons?

it would be very nice if i could have some way of painting the walls. i've learned that building granite blocks in the world then mining them converts the back wall texture from dirt/stone to this cool stone block pattern which is otherwise unused. will i be able to paint this texture myself at some point, for nice aesthetics? it would be fair if it took work and materials to do

im not looking for a detailed breakdown, but can you describe the general impact of materials on tools? i thought whitesmith hammers were bugged until i figured out you need to build them out of silver/gold at minimum. likewise, copper rakes seem better than iron. the tooltips describe the exact calculations to tool skill boost, but its still a black box as to why - my only option here is to build different versions of each tool (iron chisel blade + silver straight handle, iron chisel blade + gold curved handle, etc. etc.) which is tedious. more information presented to the player would be nice

overall, each patch seems to add substantively to the game - at this point i risk getting totally burnt out in early access before 1.0 drops. in the last patch with the new dwarf perk system, there weren't enough perks for my choices to matter in the long run. now i find myself planning things out a bit, though it does seem mostly that there are certain tracks which are better (everyone gets observation and runes for the exp gain, then cooks and arcanists pick up the farmer/healer perks, and everyone eventually gets scout for the +move, toughness, then the +military perks, then whatever. only whitesmiths get greed/smithing/goldsmith)

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zerf posted:

The biggest things I have been having issues with is the seeming lack of a overview of supplies (perhaps I'm just missing something) as well as the general lack of need for specialization like the poster above mentioned. Perhaps I haven't gotten too far yet but there isn't a lot that is gated behind skills, so I end up putting most of my perks and such into things that make dwarves better in a fight, since monsters will spawn in and they tend to really go for the kill.

It's seemingly easy to get dwarves killed because they ran into a pile of slimes, and it can turn into a chain reaction if you're not super careful. As a result you tend to expand slowly, which in turn makes skill benefits that make crafting faster into kind of unnecessary since time isn't your major limiting factor.

If I had to offer a solution I might suggest that skills have an efficiency bonus, in that high skilled pawns have a chance to either not consume a raw material or to produce twice as much, especially when it comes to things like smelting metals.

I like the design and idea though, good work so far.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The Steam Game Festival Feb 21, has started.

I looked through the game list and pulled some candidates for the thread. Each one has a demo on Steam right now!

Distant Kingdoms
Not tagged as a management or city-builder game, but from the stream it seems to be a fantasy take on the Banished/Anno series.

quote:

A unique blend of City Building, Social Management, Exploration and Adventure gameplay, Distant Kingdoms brings a rich fantasy world to life. Help the Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Orcs of Talam, begin anew in the fabled land of Ineron.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1090760/Distant_Kingdoms/?snr=1_614_615_steamgamefestival_100705

Festival Tycoon
A bit like Roller Coaster Tycoon for music, with a Minecraft look. Seems to be a one man project.

quote:

Create and manage your own music festival empire. Book bands, setup stages, organise your line-up, layout tents and portaloos, roll out the food trucks and build your festival’s reputation to appease sponsors and earn big bucks...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1326270/Festival_Tycoon/?snr=1_614_615_steamgamefestival_100705

Sphere: Flying Cities
Survival city-builder. Reminds me of Frostpunk but in a sci-fi setting. Additionally your city is on a flying rock that can move between resource locations.

quote:

Sphere – Flying Cities is a sci-fi citybuilding game which combines strategy, simulation and survival elements in an extraordinary and immersive scenario. In the aftermath of the moon‘s explosion you need to rise to the challenge! Take over control of the very first flying city ascending from Earth!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1273220/Sphere_Flying_Cities/?snr=1_614_615_steamgamefestival_100705

Reshaping Mars
Hexagon based colony building on Mars. Looks like a big ant farm, might be a better Per Aspera. Developer seems to be Chinese and the translation gives me some heavy DSP vipes :)

quote:

「Reshaping Mars」is a colony simulation game on Mars, you will start by gathering resources, storing food, accepting immigrants, and building a better colony together. Develop powerful technologies for Mars Reshaping, make Mars great agai..sorry, just great. Don't forget to make the residents happy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395760/Reshaping_Mars/?snr=1_614_615_steamgamefestival_100705

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There's Timberborn too which looks pretty cute and I love playing with water.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062090/Timberborn/

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Maybe not quite what this thread is about, but there's potion craft: alchemist simulator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1210320/Potion_Craft_Alchemist_Simulator/?l=french

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

kanonvandekempen posted:

Maybe not quite what this thread is about, but there's potion craft: alchemist simulator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1210320/Potion_Craft_Alchemist_Simulator/?l=french

I've been playing around with this and it's definitely one of the most unique alchemy systems in any game I've tried. I'm enjoying experimenting with ingredients and exploring around the alchemy map, discovering new effects and figuring out optimal paths to make certain recipes. Assuming the full game will have a decent amount of content I'll be buying it for sure.