Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
FWIW most of the covid cases that were linked to hockey around here in the fall were always like "oh also they were carpooling together/drinking together indoors after games/having meals together"

But intuitively it still seems like COVID would spread well at hockey games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bradf0rd posted:

Wait, which league?

I got all the various restart e-mails but haven't heard anything from my Sunday night skate guy. Last I'd heard, one of the other goalies was out until vaccinated and that's where I was leaning as well so they're down to maybe one goalie.

GSHL. Being acquired by the Kraken around AUG/SEPT but cleared to resume play in 2 weeks. Masks mandatory for play. No locker rooms. Possibly shortened games. 6 game short season. No solid price yet.

Anyone here play in NHL owned/operated adult leagues? I'm curious what it does to a league. I've heard they occasionally subsidize fees just to grow the sport locally (kids and adults) especially in an emerging market. Our league is fine but the organizational level could be much higher so I think that could definitely contribute to the betterment of the league. Having a big financial backer with their access to software/resources should help it go smoother so long as someone competent is at the helm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the Chicago area, the rinks associated with the Blackhawks are known to be extremely hard to get in to and have a lot more of the tryhard game 7 bullshit. Some of this is caused by the fact that there aren't many rinks around downtown so there's already some pressure on the rinks, but playing at an NHL team's practice facility is definitely a draw too.

I got no idea how much money the team spreads around, I know they do stuff for youth teams but beer league seems to be beneath their notice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

I wasn't on the captains call but got word that the Kraken bought the league! Will see how this changes things but a likely positive.

lol what - is Andy still going to be running it?

As long as Collier & collier jr. are still reffing I'm not going anywhere near them. :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

lol what - is Andy still going to be running it?

As long as Collier & collier jr. are still reffing I'm not going anywhere near them. :v:

For right now Andy will be overseeing it as an employee but who knows how long that will last. They might give him the boot once they own the league.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Wonder how well The NHL franchise The Seattle Kraken™ will respond to "just text me" as his only means of professional contact as usual :v:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My hockey league got sued by the Red Sox for copyright infringement, I don’t think the Bruins sponsor any leagues though. Also, the one game I played at the Bruins practice rink was the slowest game I’ve played of adult hockey, but probably because I signed up for a D level game and the league was paying very close attention to who was signing up for those games since the rink was brand new so it wasn’t the normal d level mix of out of shape dudes who just bought skates a week ago and kids home on break from college.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I did a draft tourney in Boston at that rink. Really nice place to play. Went early to watch the Bruins practice. Chara was looking over the glass on his skates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got to skate the blackhawks new facility a couple years ago.. the ice was perfect. It felt and sounded harder than any any of the other suburbs rinks I've been to.

Wasn't a game though, just a pre game open skate. Got done, tossed my skates in the car then watched them lose horribly to some other team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

we're trying to buy a house, too and whooooooooooooooooo boy is this making for a grumpy Duke and Ms. Duke because these listing agents are loving gouging on absolute trash houses and contingencies.

it.
loving.
sucks.
for buyers almost harder than pre-pandemic

Blaming the listing agent for the seller’s wishes and the market dictated prices in your area is the equivalent for blaming the officials because your team lost by 6, right?

Impressive.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
listing agent spotted

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

I got to skate the blackhawks new facility a couple years ago.. the ice was perfect. It felt and sounded harder than any any of the other suburbs rinks I've been to.

Wasn't a game though, just a pre game open skate. Got done, tossed my skates in the car then watched them lose horribly to some other team.

Yeah the ice at MB (it's actually Fifth Third now, but nobody calls it that) is always pristine. It's the closest rink to me, but McFetridge is almost as close and way cheaper, so that's my go-to.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Bradf0rd posted:

Wait, which league?

GSHL...

It will be interesting to see how long Any is retained after the transfer in September. Will we have balanced divisions? Will we have a schedule more than 2 weeks out? And the Andy's response if you actually get a hold of him "umm... well.. you know.... I have like 100 teams and I have to be good to them all.. Lots of people want to play.. I'll look into it"... he doesn't look into it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Only thing I've caught during the pandemic is 15 extra pounds from sitting on my rear end and not playing hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I lost 20 pounds by July and was all "cool eating less works!" then I started working out again and almost all of it came back so it turns out all the weight I lost was actually muscle mass.

I'm still eating less though, so I don't know what the gently caress is going on. The math says I should be ripped!!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Peel off the skin and the swoles will reveal themselves

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i added about 100 lbs to my bench press over covid and am absolutely a worse hockey player for it

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Working from home presents way too many opportunities to snack, coupled with less hockey and I’ve definitely gained weight. But now I just walk anytime I’m watching the Bruins which is probably not enough but better than nothing. Mostly it just makes me mad that almost every game they’ve played this season has gone into overtime making me walk further.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

i added about 100 lbs to my bench press over covid and am absolutely a worse hockey player for it

Nobody will be saying that when you get a wicked loud ping on a bardownski clapper

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Nobody will be saying that when you get a wicked loud ping on a bardownski clapper

He....didn’t need to add more to these.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Tank44 posted:

GSHL...

It will be interesting to see how long Any is retained after the transfer in September. Will we have balanced divisions? Will we have a schedule more than 2 weeks out? And the Andy's response if you actually get a hold of him "umm... well.. you know.... I have like 100 teams and I have to be good to them all.. Lots of people want to play.. I'll look into it"... he doesn't look into it

Pretty much. I'll never forget finding out I went undrafted one season by reading a Facebook post and reaching out to Andy to see if I was "one of the few players who didn't get drafted."
I'm hoping players can be allowed to be slightly more picky on rink selection so we don't end up playing from Spanaway to Everett. Even so, I'm still leaning toward sticking with SKAHL at this point (or jumping ship to Tacoma or Bremerton due to moving to an island.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

Pretty much. I'll never forget finding out I went undrafted one season by reading a Facebook post and reaching out to Andy to see if I was "one of the few players who didn't get drafted."
I'm hoping players can be allowed to be slightly more picky on rink selection so we don't end up playing from Spanaway to Everett. Even so, I'm still leaning toward sticking with SKAHL at this point (or jumping ship to Tacoma or Bremerton due to moving to an island.

You moved? Maybe now my drat team can win a championship.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

You moved? Maybe now my drat team can win a championship.

Only out to Vashon so RIP Everett games. (thank goodness)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finally, that drill where you play defense with an upside down stick so the offense can work on their power play pays off.

https://streamable.com/hyotkg

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Finally, that drill where you play defense with an upside down stick so the offense can work on their power play pays off.

https://streamable.com/hyotkg

drat he got a piece of it too, not bad

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone been playing regularly with the CCM Game On mask? I saw Bauer just came out with their version too. Curious what peoples thoughts are. So far what I've read appears to be really positive. Although I'm wondering if this is like putting a band aid on a broken bone with all the things I've read about covid spread in a rink.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Unless it actually absorbs your damp, moist, covid-laden breath instead of just shotgunning it out the sides and top & bottom of the mask then...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

Unless it actually absorbs your damp, moist, covid-laden breath instead of just shotgunning it out the sides and top & bottom of the mask then...

You mean just the top.

(from a glasses wearer that's spent the past 11 months with fogged glasses)

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Loqieu posted:

Has anyone been playing regularly with the CCM Game On mask? I saw Bauer just came out with their version too. Curious what peoples thoughts are. So far what I've read appears to be really positive. Although I'm wondering if this is like putting a band aid on a broken bone with all the things I've read about covid spread in a rink.

They had one of those at pure hockey and I heard the employee run across the store yelling because a kid was about to try on the floor model to see how it felt. Apparently many many many people every day try on that mask and he was super mad about having to constantly tell people not to put it on their face.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

You mean just the top.

(from a glasses wearer that's spent the past 11 months with fogged glasses)

:same:

I've gotten my glasses-pinch-mask-down-around-bridge-of-nose game going pretty well these days even though it kinda means looking like a grandpa wearing bifocals a little bit

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I'm trying to figure out the whole masks required for goalies. How does one wear a mask under the mask without it just becoming sopping wet and ineffective? I've been asked to play in net for a team in the upcoming season here but knowing humans gonna human, I'm not really trusting people to follow protocols.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's security theatre, wearing a mask to appear safe is more important than whether the mask is actually doing anything (subtext: we shouldn't be playing games at all because it's all dangerous).

I doubt any studies have been done on mask effectiveness while wet so there's a chance it's fine, but my intuition is it's not!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Duke Chin posted:

It just shotguns it out the sides (and top too, probably). Product info says it's waterproof, so have fun suffocating in it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My favorite are the people on the call who suggest a specific mask because it technically covers the nose and mouth but it's completely open on the bottom allowing air to escape quickly.

:allears:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

a mysterious cloak posted:

It just shotguns it out the sides (and top too, probably). Product info says it's waterproof, so have fun suffocating in it.

Full level-A hazmat suits for all players!

but not refs

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so I'm a first timer, I picked out some skates based on advice in the OP, I just went with the cheapest model of Bauer Supremes

I've got a good fit going in the toebox, heel (like a glove) and the rest of the foot, but there are HUGE pads built in that are squooshing my ankle... like the malleoli of my ankle. Is this by design? They're very thick, and it feels a bit strange lacing up and getting everything else nice and snug but with this relatively insane pressure specifically on those two pads.

is this something that will sort of "form" to my foot as I break them in? I'm pretty pleased with how I got the right sizing out the gate.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

a mysterious cloak posted:

I have one like this from Keen and that's accurate. Thing is water resistant but just launches the air to the sides because none of it comes out of the mask.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so I'm a first timer, I picked out some skates based on advice in the OP, I just went with the cheapest model of Bauer Supremes

I've got a good fit going in the toebox, heel (like a glove) and the rest of the foot, but there are HUGE pads built in that are squooshing my ankle... like the malleoli of my ankle. Is this by design? They're very thick, and it feels a bit strange lacing up and getting everything else nice and snug but with this relatively insane pressure specifically on those two pads.

is this something that will sort of "form" to my foot as I break them in? I'm pretty pleased with how I got the right sizing out the gate.

Did you get them baked?

New skates literally go in to an oven to be heated up, it softens up the padding so that it can form a bit better around your foot's shape. This is something that would normally be done at a hockey shop at time of purchase but buying online or during a pandemic can definitely interfere with that.

There's a way to DIY at home if you need to but I've never done it myself so others probably have better info than I could provide.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Getting skates baked is one of the nicest feelings because you basically just get to hang out in a hockey shop for 10 minutes with super warm skates on. It’s like a little spa treatment while you stare at all the fun stuff and listen to whatever lovely sports radio show is on at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ lol sup Vegans :hfive:

Teeter posted:

Did you get them baked?

no i did not, I live far from the nearest sporting goods store. ordered online.

Is baking necessary? from what I understand it just hastens the break-in process. these are Supreme X37s