Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

American McGay posted:

I just quick resumed a THPS session from like two months ago lol. I know it's been a huge ymmv situation (maybe they've gotten it ironed out now?) but for me it's been really slick. I can't imagine going back to cold booting.

Makes Yakuza 0 sessions way less harrowing when you know you don't have to worry about dipping out in the middle of their forty-minute cutscene marathons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

American McGay posted:

I just quick resumed a THPS session from like two months ago lol. I know it's been a huge ymmv situation (maybe they've gotten it ironed out now?) but for me it's been really slick. I can't imagine going back to cold booting.

I've had a couple issues, namely with Valhalla wanting to do Ubisoft Cloud saves, and it losing connection between sessions if you Quick Resume. It'll save after the resume and then overwrite any of those saves with the cloud stuff as soon as you reconnect.

But hopping into most games, especially the X1 Games I've been kicking around on GamePass has been awesome.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm still shook when a backburner game just resumes. Owns but would be better if we had some visual indication on the game list

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Toaster Beef posted:

Makes Yakuza 0 sessions way less harrowing when you know you don't have to worry about dipping out in the middle of their forty-minute cutscene marathons.

I like all the yakuzas but I'm playing y3 right now and you can't pause at all during the cutscenes. You gotta plan ahead if you think a big one is coming.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The One X had the same thing?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

only one game and one media app at a time though, it was just kept in RAM. here you can stop a game (which is like hibernating a VM internally), play something else for two weeks, get back and you're immediately right there. do this with enough games though and some will get purged, with others it simply won't work. which is why we need more UI feedback

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah only issues I've had so far are with FH4 (the menu will wig out sometimes) and Skyrim Special Edition (Massive stutters, probably because of mods though). Everything else I've played seems to work great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anything that connects to the publisher/dev servers will ultimately just gently caress up with the function and I hope MS/Sony push them to stop interfering with OS features like quick resume.

COD has it but it always dumps you back to the 'connection to activision servers lost' screen and you have to connect again.

maybe this years cod will handle it better since it should be built specifically for it.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ruffian Price posted:

only one game and one media app at a time though, it was just kept in RAM. here you can stop a game (which is like hibernating a VM internally), play something else for two weeks, get back and you're immediately right there. do this with enough games though and some will get purged, with others it simply won't work. which is why we need more UI feedback

I wanna say the max is 6 games, but yeah, more than the One X.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol some *oblique* Uncharted shade

this can't be Uncharted shade because there are no tragic villains in Uncharted and the game never once tries to assert that there are. Nate's last words to the villain of UC4 are basically "gently caress off"

that would be like watching Indiana Jones and expecting him to sympathise with the Nazis at the end

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1357308175490424832?s=19

Holy crap that is awesome, Stubbs with achievements!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Dammit, I can't find my old xbox360 GTA4 box and I suddenly have an urge for some GTA4. Why is still this 25 bucks on the store?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

Dammit, I can't find my old xbox360 GTA4 box and I suddenly have an urge for some GTA4. Why is still this 25 bucks on the store?
Are you tempted to buy it for 25 bucks from the digital store?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Akuma posted:

Are you tempted to buy it for 25 bucks from the digital store?

Brick and mortar stores are still not allowed to be open in my region if they're not selling food. Otherwise I could buy it used for about 10-15.

So yes, now I have no choice but to buy it for 25 bucks. I want to experience that 60 fps.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

Brick and mortar stores are still not allowed to be open in my region if they're not selling food. Otherwise I could buy it used for about 10-15.

So yes, now I have no choice but to buy it for 25 bucks. I want to experience that 60 fps.
Then you have the answer to your question!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I am but a slave of the market.

and my urges

edit: vvv I can try that way too, I guess. Thanks for the suggestion.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 4, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Could try eBay?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I also wanna play GTAIV! But I'm gonna ask around and see if anyone has it on 360 first. I used to have it on PS3 but I gave it away years ago. Never played the DLC either, it looks cool.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BisterdDave posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1357308175490424832?s=19

Holy crap that is awesome, Stubbs with achievements!

This game is unique and rare as hell. Would be worth buying to keep a copy on your account.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I also wanna play GTAIV! But I'm gonna ask around and see if anyone has it on 360 first. I used to have it on PS3 but I gave it away years ago. Never played the DLC either, it looks cool.

If you haven't played The Lost and the Damned you haven't played GTAIV. Next to Petey it's the best content.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fly Ricky posted:

If you haven't played The Lost and the Damned you haven't played GTAIV. Next to Petey it's the best content.

Oof thanks, been meaning to revisit gta4, never got through it, now I'm gonna grab it. Especially after V was disappointing in the single player content, wanna see how good citizen kane is.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I love GTA5 especially the fact that it has checkpoints. I had a rough time with the main missions in GTA4 because of a lack of checkpoints so I spent most of my time getting drunk with cousin, which was pretty great.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Checkpoints during missions? I'll have to remember that. V was so anemic in terms of actual content, they thought having three characters with a cool selection animation would suffice, but it just made the huge world so much more empty. And the radio stations were pretty bare. The heists were laughable in their linearity.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Checkpoints during missions? I'll have to remember that. V was so anemic in terms of actual content, they thought having three characters with a cool selection animation would suffice, but it just made the huge world so much more empty. And the radio stations were pretty bare. The heists were laughable in their linearity.

For what it's worth, Episodes from Liberty City (available on Xbox as both a standalone title and DLC for GTA 4) has in-mission checkpoints too. Only the main game doesn't. EfLC as a whole is a more fun experience than the main game in my opinion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I only ever played the main game for a few hours, I remember really disliking it. I'd love to go back though, this was forever ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
IV suffered from the era of brown game disease.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hell, GTA IV has in-mission checkpoints too, they're just rare for some reason, limited to stuff that's the most tedious to repeat. I think I've encountered... two? in the whole game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

IV suffered from the era of brown game disease.

hahaha I'm playing an FPS from 2010 at the moment on my PS3, it's called Singularity and it's the most brown game I've ever seen:

agh!!!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Project winter would be way more fun if I didnt have to voice comm with pubbies that are making it their express purpose in life to sound like creeps.

at least there was no slurs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

hahaha I'm playing an FPS from 2010 at the moment on my PS3, it's called Singularity and it's the most brown game I've ever seen:

agh!!!

That games pretty okay for a salvaged dev hell project

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

That games pretty okay for a salvaged dev hell project

It’s got cool stuff in it. The little spider creatures who explode are poo poo though. It’s like the snarks in half life 1. Just poo poo to fight.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there still a standard simple microphone to be using? When I look for "xbox headset" I mostly get a bunch of over-the-ear cans with 7.1 surround sound, but I'm happy with my audio setup and just want something lightweight to voice chat with

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

Is there still a standard simple microphone to be using? When I look for "xbox headset" I mostly get a bunch of over-the-ear cans with 7.1 surround sound, but I'm happy with my audio setup and just want something lightweight to voice chat with

Kinect

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Devs are gonna have to find somewhere else to display all their little tips and tricks messages.

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1357493966267174913?s=19

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think some recent games have artificially increased loading times for that purpose.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ghosts of tsushima added a second to loads so tips would be readable

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

404notfound posted:

you can still use the Xbox One chat headset that has a single ear piece

https://www.amazon.com.au/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Chat-Headset/dp/B07VG5R3KC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+chat&qid=1612493934&sr=8-1

e: if the new in-box controller still has the accessory port and not just a headphone jack. my elite v2 still has the port so i would think the base controller does too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Ghosts of tsushima added a second to loads so tips would be readable

This is the worst thing Ive heard about gaming in ages

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Imagine if there was some kind of....book..they could put in the packaging. Or have...a separate...hint screen in the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Laserface posted:

you can still use the Xbox One chat headset that has a single ear piece

https://www.amazon.com.au/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Chat-Headset/dp/B07VG5R3KC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+chat&qid=1612493934&sr=8-1

e: if the new in-box controller still has the accessory port and not just a headphone jack. my elite v2 still has the port so i would think the base controller does too.

It does, I just bought one.

Before that I tried plugging in Apple headphones to the headphone jack. It did not go well.