Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Wheren't they the first DLC? I remember being amazed they came so early, Beastmen being my favorite non-elf faction, since I figured they would come out among the last factions.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Poor beastmen

Never a priority for Games Workshop or Creative Assembly

I hope Beastmen stay as the punching bag faction, which is incredibly hilarious for some reason.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Beastmen should just be part of chaos :colbert:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I would not say no to a few beefy minotaur bois in my chaos army

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wonder if they're gonna implement the chaos realms, or if the four chaos factions are just gonna be farting around in the northern wastes for the early to mid game.

Also, imagine if they implemented unique chaos corruption for each god, that changed both the overworld, and the battlemaps in various ways.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Broken Cog posted:

I wonder if they're gonna implement the chaos realms, or if the four chaos factions are just gonna be farting around in the northern wastes for the early to mid game.

Also, imagine if they implemented unique chaos corruption for each god, that changed both the overworld, and the battlemaps in various ways.

Kinda unsure how that'd work out visually. Probably would boost the rating up a notch. Or come close to it.

Like, Slaanesh takes over an area and trees and hills start mutating into spike tipped dicks spewing something other than generic lava. Even the least offensive take on it is going to have some poo poo that'd make Hellraiser look tame.

Actually, if they're actually letting us counter invade the realms of Chaos as a sort of "gently caress you" to the end of the original setting and letting us pre-empt Age of Sigmar by just straight up invading them in response to them trying to destroy the world then I don't even know how you're going to depict anything Slaanesh related.

Also, called Cathay being in. They've got too much lore not to do something with it.

Edit: This reminds me of that Warhammer MMO had a Slaanesh tainted area that had some really suggestive looking flora and rock formations. Was like a five minute bit so I doubt many people remember it but it had me going :wtc: the first time I saw it and realized what it was I was looking at.

DaysBefore posted:

Can't believe they're actually doing Cathay. Spent so much time scoffing at the idea given that they amounted to like three footnotes from 1994. Very, very excited.

Trailer was sick too, can't wait to play Kislev.
I posted about it before but if you read the novels and were deep in on the lore then they had a lot more info than that given about them. People from the region were central characters to at least one novel series. One of the characters is even a perspective character that likes to go on rants about how much he hates the ruling authority, complete with depictions of how the country works (from his point of view) and how much he hates them for being close minded fools.

Keep in mind this dude is basically the Cathayan version of a worshipper of Tzneetch. And apparently chaos works entirely differently in Cathay. There are elementals instead of demons as a primary supernatural force. And the demons are apparently very much different themselves. Notably, the elementals he calls up number more than the Chaos gods. He calls up like 5 or 6 elementals. Even Warhammer's version of druids that can call up elementals can only call up 4 types at most. So yeah.

All this ignores all the even crazier stuff. Like ogre ninjas from Nippon, legions of terracotta automatons protecting the country, an entirely unheard of type of vampire that are eunuch magicians that drink the souls of men, etc, etc.

So they've definitely got plenty to work with.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 3, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Archonex posted:

Kinda unsure how that'd work out visually. Probably would boost the rating up a notch. Or come close to it.

Like, Slaanesh takes over an area and trees and hills start mutating into spike tipped dicks spewing something other than generic lava. Even the least offensive take on it is going to have some poo poo that'd make Hellraiser look tame.

Slaanesh is not really that much about sex, it's for sure more Hellraiser. Using people as instruments and stuff.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Slaanesh is not really that much about sex, it's for sure more Hellraiser. Using people as instruments and stuff.

Sex is one part of the excess thing that Slaanesh has going on. Hence daemonettes being daemonettes. And by that I mean, half nude demonic monstrosities that would probably flay you alive Hellraiser style.

It's a bit of both really, is what i'm saying.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The Steam description kind of makes it sound like we'll be going there

quote:

On the border between the worlds, two mighty kingdoms stand sentinel: the stern warriors of Kislev and the vast empire of Grand Cathay. But each is beset by its own trials, and now both have cause to cross the threshold and send their armies into the Realm of Chaos.

I wonder if that's more of an endgame final battle type thing?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I didn't notice it before but the Great Unclean One in the trailer is wearing a Cowl, and only one Great Unclean One wears a Cowl

quote:

There is one amongst Nurgle’s greater daemons who journeys further than any other. Where he goes, repugnant life spreads about him in waves. He is Rotigus, the Generous One, and he enjoys his work. Flora and fauna bloat and twist with grotesque fecundity in his presence – his gifts are such that he feels no need to carry weapons, instead bearing a gnarlrod, which constantly rots and regenerates from a seed to bring forth ever-more foul diseases. He manifests Nurgle’s Deluge – a rotten, diseased storm that eternally hovers over his mountainous form, a vile downpour that spreads the blessing of Nurgle to every far corner of the battlefield.

He was added to the Nurgle roster in AOS but thats absolutely him, complete with the eternal torrent of maggots that spill from his mouth

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I got this wrong before so I'm re-sharing, because I think it's cool that this Cathay musical stinger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAr7yUlM0Po&t=171s

Is similar to the stinger musical stinger used for Three Kingdoms (couple examples): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcCEWaDLWU&t=114s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7dmyj6tOk&t=114s

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Does anyone have an inkling as to what play-style Cathay would be?

I'm picturing an eastern mirror to the Empire -- maybe with a heavier monster focus a la those Dragon-Serpents?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Kinda imagine them to be a mix between High Elves and Empire.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda imagine them to be a mix between High Elves and Empire.

I sure hope we get some neat gunpowder unit mounted on a dragon serpent

also/or an homage to that dude Wan Hu -- who tied fireworks to his rocking chair :colbert:

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 3, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Really they could do pretty much anything with Cathay. I'm guessing they'll have some sort of combined arms playstyle similar to Empire and High Elves but even that is just a guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the Emperor is an actual Dragon. Also they have Terracotta warriors.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is much more novel and extra and cool than i expected. Bless u 3 Kingdoms for paving the way for Cathay

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Thunder Moose posted:

Does anyone have an inkling as to what play-style Cathay would be?

I'm picturing an eastern mirror to the Empire -- maybe with a heavier monster focus a la those Dragon-Serpents?

Well, one thing to consider is that there's a ton of "Cathay" factions they could do. There's the Dragon Emperor, who depending on the era and what they go with could be anti or pro Tzneetch worship, the cult of Tzneetch, the monkey king/whatever it was that was described in some of the really old novels, and more. This also doesn't include factions opposed to all the regional state powers and cults.

And this doesn't count outside forces. There's been an undead Cathayan/first generation vampiric concubine to the Emperor's that could be an entire faction (Basically Lahmia light, which i'm assuming we're finally getting in full along with the other vampire factions.) along with an entirely unheard of type of vampire that are basically the eunuch's of the Imperial Court if they were undead soul suckers that are also possibly kung fu sorcerers, etc, etc. And that's just what we know about that end of things.

All of this assumes they don't subdivide the realm even further, similar to how Gelt is a legendary lord that is playable. The Astromancers of Cathay are supposedly responsible for creating the Tyranid-esque Great Maw by dropping a freaking meteor on the ogres in the past. Likewise, ogres are a big thing in Cathay and Nippon's past, if I remember right. If we go further to Nippon (Which is also a nation.) then we're looking at all sorts of crazy poo poo like Ogre Ninja's and Tengu super soldiers, alongside their supposed superpower status as a naval power, etc, etc.

Cathay has had enough detail given over the years that they could go for a straight up Romance of the Three Kingdoms type situation similar to 3K if they wanted to go that way. Only in Warhammer Chaos just gate crashed the place and started loving things up midway through the civil war.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the Emperor is an actual Dragon. Also they have Terracotta warriors.

I thought the Emperor was a secret Vampire?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They can't go with the Three Kingdoms too directly because Tzeentch is no match for Cao Cao.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Night10194 posted:

They can't go with the Three Kingdoms too directly because Tzeentch is no match for Cao Cao.

You fool, Cao Cao IS Tzeentch

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

AnEdgelord posted:

yousonofabitch beat me to it

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Speaking of Tzeentch, wonder what they're going to do with Sarthorael now? Also design wise, looks like they're going with the recent Lord of Change design based on the trailer, so Sarthorael is going to stand out against that.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

idk anything about warhammer lore but i hope they combine dragons, flamethrowers, and rocket artillery in one faction so i dont have to play anything else

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally im just curious if they are gonna give Bloodthirsters and Lords of Change their ability to fly in game 3

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Personally im just curious if they are gonna give Bloodthirsters and Lords of Change their ability to fly in game 3

There's been hopes for a "Toggle Flight" button for a while now, and if they don't implement that feature now with an engine update I doubt we'll ever see it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

A crow cannot understand the aspirations of a falcon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Being able to land on command would really alter the balance of flying units

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being able to land on command would really alter the balance of flying units

True, but is that a bad thing? TW:WH2 had a massive list of changes included for the TW:WH1 races on release, and IIRC it included a general rebalancing of magic (it got better overall) and single-unit entities (more consistent at different unit sizes).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The FAQ mentions 9 LL, so 2 each for Kislev and Cathay and then 5 for the Daemons, one of each flavour and an undivided seems the most likely split.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't know enough lore for this -- but don't those both use their wings to just enhance their jumps? Like -- Buzz Lightyearing it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lords of Change can definitely actually fly, on account of being Actually Just Birds.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fellatio del Toro posted:

idk anything about warhammer lore but i hope they combine dragons, flamethrowers, and rocket artillery in one faction so i dont have to play anything else

Yes but also bitchin shock cav
Terracotta cav on wingless dragons

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Great Leap Forward mod when

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bloodthristers can fly as well, in fact the named Bloodthrister Skarbrand is famous for Khrone permanently ruining his wings so he can't fly anymore to the point he sucks on tabletop because he's expensive and slow

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

orangelex44 posted:

True, but is that a bad thing? TW:WH2 had a massive list of changes included for the TW:WH1 races on release, and IIRC it included a general rebalancing of magic (it got better overall) and single-unit entities (more consistent at different unit sizes).

We also got Breath attacks which was huge, a toggle flight button certainly seems within the scope of an engine update

Thunder Moose posted:

I don't know enough lore for this -- but don't those both use their wings to just enhance their jumps? Like -- Buzz Lightyearing it?

Nope, they can both fly just fine, in AoS they even fight Kharadron airships

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's been said but just give me Lu Bu for Cathay and let me Dynasty Warriors my way over to Grimgor to 1v1

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

EthanSteele posted:

The FAQ mentions 9 LL, so 2 each for Kislev and Cathay and then 5 for the Daemons, one of each flavour and an undivided seems the most likely split.

Or that ninth leader could be a full wildcard, like Nagash, Neferata, Thanquol or a TW:WH1 faction leader. It might also just be unbalanced between Cathay and Kislev. It's too early to call at this point - most people didn't really think Cathay was going to happen at all, much less be a release faction. I wouldn't assume that the "logical" lineup is what's going to happen at this point, CA is breaking the patterns on this one.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Things Cathay will probably have: Big stone lions, Lightning Kirins that can fly, Monkey Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

orangelex44 posted:

Or that ninth leader could be a full wildcard, like Nagash, Neferata, Thanquol or a TW:WH1 faction leader. It might also just be unbalanced between Cathay and Kislev. It's too early to call at this point - most people didn't really think Cathay was going to happen at all, much less be a release faction. I wouldn't assume that the "logical" lineup is what's going to happen at this point, CA is breaking the patterns on this one.

The line is "We can’t wait to start introducing you to the nine playable Legendary Lords that will lead these races into battle!" referring specifically to the listed races of the Daemons, Cathay and Kislev. There might be a 10th guy that's one of those things, yes, but the current entry is specifically about the ones listed. You're right on the other point though, it could be Kislev 3, Cathay 1, or Kislev 3, Cathay 2 and Daemons 4 instead of 5, but I think its pretty reasonable to assume it's not going to be like Cathay 7, Daemons 1, Kislev 1.