Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
The thing I get irrationally angry over is tittie armor. So much media is guilty of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

feeling really bad after doing delubrum reginae going into bozja and seeing the queensguard rangers before they got mashed together like they were toa kaita

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

King Cohort posted:

Why did the designers decide that's what Gunnhildr wore, though?

She's got a very typical 'classical European art' look, actually. Very Greek/Roman statues, even up to Renaissance paintings. So you're gonna have to ask questions about weirdly revealing art WAY older than Final Fantasy to get a proper answer here.

Couldn't possibly tell you why the robot throne, but the huge arcane ring behind her definitely creates a vibe that rings bells, I just can't fully describe where I know that from.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

She's got a very typical 'classical European art' look, actually. Very Greek/Roman statues, even up to Renaissance paintings. So you're gonna have to ask questions about weirdly revealing art WAY older than Final Fantasy to get a proper answer here.

Couldn't possibly tell you why the robot throne, but the huge arcane ring behind her definitely creates a vibe that rings bells, I just can't fully describe where I know that from.

Every man and his dog is surrounded by three arcane rings in FF12, so possibly that?

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Vitamean posted:

feeling really bad after doing delubrum reginae going into bozja and seeing the queensguard rangers before they got mashed together like they were toa kaita

It's uh, mildly disconcerting. Did the monocerus lady get got? She's probably my favorite of the resistance folks, saw they were gonna hurt her best bud horse and got the gently caress out of garlemond.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gunnhildr's very clearly meant to echo Aztec/Mayan iconography, especially with the headdress/shawl, the oddly delicate hand gestures her and the robot make, and the blocky, geometric design of the magic circle on her back. Her whole design strongly resembles the more fantastical interpretations of Pakal's sarcophagus lid, which is often used by ancient astronaut cranks to claim that Pakal is, in fact, riding on a rocket ship or some other kind of otherworldly mechanical device.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 4, 2021

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The little trumpet hand is great.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Valleyant posted:

It's uh, mildly disconcerting. Did the monocerus lady get got? She's probably my favorite of the resistance folks, saw they were gonna hurt her best bud horse and got the gently caress out of garlemond.

I don't believe so. The Trinity bosses are pretty obvious, and the four knights are four others who are briefly touched on in the codex entry for the fight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vitamean posted:

I don't believe so. The Trinity bosses are pretty obvious, and the four knights are four others who are briefly touched on in the codex entry for the fight.

...wait, the knights weren't just robots that were lying around when the Empire got in? Oh god.

Then what the hell was the throne!?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
People get horny over Zenos, possibly the most armored-up lad I've seen. He's almost like Smaugh from Dark Souls.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zeruel posted:

People get horny over Zenos, possibly the most armored-up lad I've seen. He's almost like Smaugh from Dark Souls.

And now they've got him in a sexy little admiral sailor outfit.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

...wait, the knights weren't just robots that were lying around when the Empire got in? Oh god.

Then what the hell was the throne!?

You can see the first boss wielding the blades of Gunnhildr, it also uses moves named after the blades themselves. hosed if I remember them all off the top of my head but it definitely has Woeborn (the DRK relic) and uses a move called Baleful Blade, which is the title of the DRK hrothgar that gets tempered

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Chillgamesh posted:

You can see the first boss wielding the blades of Gunnhildr, it also uses moves named after the blades themselves. hosed if I remember them all off the top of my head but it definitely has Woeborn (the DRK relic) and uses a move called Baleful Blade, which is the title of the DRK hrothgar that gets tempered

Oh yeah, I know who the Trinities are. I think they're talking about the four Queen's Guard, the midbosses that return in the final fight. The ones wielding the PLD, NIN, MCH and WAR weapons.

I just thought they were regular-rear end robots that were already inside DR, especially because them and the second Trinity doubled up on the PLD sword and shield.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's a big ol' scroll bar so I'm not gonna post it all but the queen's guard record is like four entries in one

Mladen the Vanished - Queen's Soldier (found it interesting that I thought this was a samurai but Mladen was trained as a ninja)
Adis the Spirited - Queen's Knight
Tugeim the Swiftram - Queen's Warrior
Ratimir the Pale - Queen's Gunner

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

there's a big ol' scroll bar so I'm not gonna post it all but the queen's guard record is like four entries in one

Mladen the Vanished - Queen's Soldier (found it interesting that I thought this was a samurai but Mladen was trained as a ninja)

Queen's Soldier uses bunshin which is one of the ninja iconic moves.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you think I know how to read

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yay, that's nice and horrifying! And yeah, definitely opens the door for 'so wait where'd the throne robot come from'.

Vitamean posted:

This one almost tricked me too, but remember that the resistance weapon for NIN is a wakizashi, while the SAM one is for once a unique blade design.

Also that the Soldier's 'thing' is a classic ninja illusion trick.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 4, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Oh sure, I get it, it's just a bit eyebrow raising given she fusion danced a bunch of her victims, who are largely people we know. That's a pretty extraordinary offense! (Seriously, what the hell, Misija? A: how, and B: why?)

That said, Balsajien also seems somewhat sympathetic.

I would be very upset if my WoL summarily executed someone who was beaten and unconscious but not dead.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Badger of Basra posted:

I would be very upset if my WoL summarily executed someone who was beaten and unconscious but not dead.

I mean.... we kinda have, on multiple occassions? Such as the coils, or when we were intending to but got beaten to the punch in warring triad.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean, we kind execute people all the time if they're mooks. It's part of that weird classism that crops up in stories where the named leader characters get spared because we can't be like them but the underlings are perfectly fine to slaughter.

Not arguing for just killing misija but it's weird she gets special consideration. Unless it's like, a restorative justice deal but I don't see how you can make up for brainwashing people into turning traitor and then turning them into horrible monsters.

I do feel it's really weird that mikoto feels sympathetic to misija instead of horrified, given misija couldn't have tempered and fusion'd people without mikoto's help. But I also don't really like mikoto and I laughed when she fell off the airship so take that with a huge grain of salt.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Valleyant posted:

I mean, we kind execute people all the time if they're mooks. It's part of that weird classism that crops up in stories where the named leader characters get spared because we can't be like them but the underlings are perfectly fine to slaughter. I guess there's also the possibility that we're just knocking out all the garleans we fight in bozja instead of brutally destroying them but that'd involve a pow camp the size of limsa lohsa and that just brings up further questions

I mean I do think the “beaten and unconscious” part is important. It looks and feels very different for you to hit someone with a spell or what have you and they fall over and die. If every garlean soldier fell over unconscious and then we walked over and shot them in the back of the head it would be super weird.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fine with keeping Misija around, I'm just mad whenever I don't get to take a run at the big monster. I don't care what the NPCs tell me my chances are, I've got a gunblade and sheer gumption.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vitamean posted:

Where did these drop from? DR?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

thetoughestbean posted:

Where did these drop from? DR?

Yeah, they have a chance of being in the rewards chest for their respective bosses. I've got the second Trinity boss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My first run got a whole bunch of those notes and a forgotten fragment of each type. I don't know if rates are boosted for the first time or I was dang lucky because I haven't seen anything close since.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
That feel when you realize that you completely forgot to loot personal spoils because you were assuming it was group loot until the end.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bruceski posted:

My first run got a whole bunch of those notes and a forgotten fragment of each type. I don't know if rates are boosted for the first time or I was dang lucky because I haven't seen anything close since.

I got some forgotten fragments and coins. No notes...

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Eox posted:

I've got a gunblade and sheer gumption gunption.

It was right there! :mad:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Gumpblade

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Cleretic posted:

Yay, that's nice and horrifying! And yeah, definitely opens the door for 'so wait where'd the throne robot come from'.

Sometimes a Queen just wants to slouch on a weird throne robot.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

You can Return to the start of DR and run through if you miss any spoils.

Also I think the traps disappear at some point, because I ran around to see if any would trigger after doing said Return maneuver. I'm guessing they turn off either after reaching the respective hall's boss or upon duty completion.

That or people stepped on them all despite the circles getting revealed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

x1o posted:

Sometimes a Queen just wants to slouch on a weird throne robot.

I hope this spawns a whole Primaltech questline. Ifrit piloting a transforming jet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"What are we going to do with Save The Queen?"

Give it to me

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hand it to Odin and see what happens.

Maybe they'll like each other!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I hope this spawns a whole Primaltech questline. Ifrit piloting a transforming jet.

FF13 Shivacycle time

This might actually happen if for whatever reason they decide to use the eidolons FF13 introduced (Brynhildr and Hecatoncheir) in FF14

Brynhildr IS a lore-friendly sounding F Hrothgar name...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Waffleman_ posted:

"What are we going to do with Save The Queen?"

Give it to me

If we take it, it's basically equal chance that we use it to kill an Ascian without destroying it, or get it stolen from us by an Ascian. Those are bad odds when the goal is to destroy the sword.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We, uh, don't have a whole lot to worry about Ascians doing much of anything at this point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also that requires the characters to be very genre savvy and to realize they're in a story with forced drama and stakes by writers. in-world the WoL and allies are almost definitely one of the safest groups to handle dangerous artifacts

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Where is the Eorzean equivalent of the Speedwagon Foundation when you need them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Countblanc posted:

also that requires the characters to be very genre savvy and to realize they're in a story with forced drama and stakes by writers. in-world the WoL and allies are almost definitely one of the safest groups to handle dangerous artifacts

What if we chucked it down a hole? Y'know, a deep one, I'm sure that would get rid out it