Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Maybe not quite what this thread is about, but there's potion craft: alchemist simulator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1210320/Potion_Craft_Alchemist_Simulator/?l=french

That art style is brilliant. My only criticism would be that the characters should look more like crappy medieval portraits than they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, question for the thread.

Awhile back I heard good things about Per Aspera, but also that it needed some time for bugfixes and polish, so I held off. I also heard I should avoid spoilers, so I've been avoiding reading too much about it. And recently I've heard good (but similar) things about Dyson Sphere Program.

But right now I find myself wanting to play a good "Route x to be processed into y" game, and a little reluctant to start yet another game of Factorio. If I were going to buy one of those games today, which would the thread recommend? Is Per Aspera fixed yet, or is DSP just better? Suggestions for a third option are also welcome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bremen posted:

Awhile back I heard good things about Per Aspera, but also that it needed some time for bugfixes and polish, so I held off. I also heard I should avoid spoilers, so I've been avoiding reading too much about it. And recently I've heard good (but similar) things about Dyson Sphere Program.

But right now I find myself wanting to play a good "Route x to be processed into y" game, and a little reluctant to start yet another game of Factorio. If I were going to buy one of those games today, which would the thread recommend? Is Per Aspera fixed yet, or is DSP just better? Suggestions for a third option are also welcome.

As someone who hasn't played Per Aspera and only a little of DSP: as I understand it, DSP is already in a polished state, and you can put 50+ hours into it easy. Remember to bring enough fuel if you leave your starting planet.

As someone who is currently in her second playthrough of Factorio (first time with mods) in Krastorio 2, why are you reluctant? Did you burn out, have you tried mods, etc? Please don't take this as "you must play it" but more as "I am curious".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bremen posted:

per aspera is nothing like factorio, it is a narrative game stapled to a simplistic logistics game

DSP is the best new factorio-like on the market, and already full of content for an early access game

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who hasn't played Per Aspera and only a little of DSP: as I understand it, DSP is already in a polished state, and you can put 50+ hours into it easy. Remember to bring enough fuel if you leave your starting planet.

As someone who is currently in her second playthrough of Factorio (first time with mods) in Krastorio 2, why are you reluctant? Did you burn out, have you tried mods, etc? Please don't take this as "you must play it" but more as "I am curious".

To be honest, it's mostly "I love Factorio but lose my enthusiasm for starting a new game every time I think about crafting those early miners/setting up those early science pack chains for the upteenth time." I've played it many, many times, both modded and not.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bremen posted:

To be honest, it's mostly "I love Factorio but lose my enthusiasm for starting a new game every time I think about crafting those early miners/setting up those early science pack chains." I've played it many, many times, both modded and not.

Understandable, that sucks. Good luck finding a new flame.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
turns out setting minimum interval to 1 second and then spawning 2500 trains at the same time causes some performance issues in NIMBY. on the plus side i have filled the ocean with trains

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Railgrade (part of the Steam Game Festival demos) seems pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYU9B0ok3YY

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
There are so many amazing management games coming out this year, I love it! All these demos look fantastic, and I’m looking forward to playing them all.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Timberborn rocks, for me. Water being a major mechanic and vertical building both are absolutely wildly fun mechanics for me. I can't wait until it hits early access. The demo is definitely pretty sparse, but I see a lot of potential.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Railgrade (part of the Steam Game Festival demos) seems pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYU9B0ok3YY

This looks like a cross between OpenTTD and Factorio, my two favorite games. I hope it's good, if it is it will consume me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love watching those YT videos of upcoming management games, but most of them disappear into the ether. I'm really looking forward to Knights of Honor II, the first game was a HUGE timesink in my childhood. It was like Total War, but with a realtime campaign map, it was fantastic. There's also Manor Lords which I can't wait to play.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Kvlt! posted:

This looks like a cross between OpenTTD and Factorio, my two favorite games. I hope it's good, if it is it will consume me.

That reminded me, what state is Voxel Tycoon in these days? It's been "Coming to Early Access" for what seems like an eternity.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Played around a bit with a couple demos.

Potion Craft seems interesting and has a great art style. Not sure how long its gameplay can sustain it though, but if it's cheap when it gets released, I'll probably buy it.

Hundred Days is a little bit better. The gameplay reminds me of one of my favorite Android games (Fiz, a game about starting a brewery) mashed together with some of the art style of Rise of Industry and some chill music. The demo is extremely short though, and I kinda don't know anything about what I'm doing because I know jack poo poo about wine, but it's still fun enough. Again, not sure how long the legs will be on that one.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Kvlt! posted:

where's the factorio bit? it just looks like OpenTTD clone from the video, are you the one placing the industries on patches of ore and researching techs or something?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Some of you might like Slipways' demo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Megazver posted:

Some of you might like Slipways' demo.

I did! I put it on my wishlist, looked fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Played Timberborn until all my beavers died during the dry season. I love the aesthetics, but mechanically it's okay for a city builder. I guess.

Maybe Factorio has spoiled me, but I want the game to tell me the exact ratios I need. I want to know how many water pumps I need per Beaver. I want the game to tell me how many crops a farm beaver can handle. I want to know how much food my beavers need per day.

Above all, I want my science buildings to not need to be spammed by the dozen to unlock anything remotely fun.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

LLSix posted:

Played Timberborn until all my beavers died during the dry season. I love the aesthetics, but mechanically it's okay for a city builder. I guess.

Maybe Factorio has spoiled me, but I want the game to tell me the exact ratios I need. I want to know how many water pumps I need per Beaver. I want the game to tell me how many crops a farm beaver can handle. I want to know how much food my beavers need per day.

Above all, I want my science buildings to not need to be spammed by the dozen to unlock anything remotely fun.

Yes but did you see there’s vertical building and water mechanics

(You’re right, though, it does desperately want for everything you said and I’m hoping that’s just demo/Pre-early access woes.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sweeper posted:

where's the factorio bit? it just looks like OpenTTD clone from the video, are you the one placing the industries on patches of ore and researching techs or something?

its on a different planet duh

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finding out that Hammerting is a goon dev game and that it's improving got me to go ahead and pull the trigger. Not sure when I'll play it, but here, take my money and make better game with it.

:dance: Thank you!

Also, thank you CuddleCryptid and Mr. Fall Down Terror, I've shown your feedback to the team!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

LLSix posted:

Same, but I tried twice and the second time I built 10 or so small water barrels which still wasn’t enough for 16 beavers or whatever. How much do they drink? Who knows! How long does the dry season last? Who knows! Do Dams actually block the water to stop it going dry in the dry season? Who knows, I was trying to build a dam but I had to build the water barrels and there is not enough wood to build what you need without a pretty rigid build order, I guess.

I want to like it but I was not impressed with the demo.

Forgot the names of the other demos I played, but:

I also tried fantasy kingdoms(?) and it was also pretty generic for a city builder, at least in the demo.

The planet logistics game somebody mentioned earlier- Slipstream(?) is really good and I will pick it up for sure on release.

Tried a terrible city builder called something like Little City where you could unleash a windup Godzilla on your city, which was neat, but besides that it was a terrible experience and I couldn’t finish the demo because I couldn’t build the governor’s mansion despite fulfilling the conditions for it. Whatever, the game was bad.

I think it’s great that there’s so many management games coming out, but it’s going to be hard to top things like Amazing Cultivation Simulator, Dyson Sphere project, and satisfactory.

Hammerting also seems to have a good base game loop, and is obviously inspired by one of my favorite games: Craft the World. I’m not going to comment on it much because it’s still very early access, but I had the same issue mentioned earlier, that dwarfs are too hard to heal early if you get aggressive monsters and it’s hard to manage dwarves not to attack revealed lairs, which can lead to a frustrating early death spiral. I was saving my level ups and using the +100 health one as a heal for unconscious dwarves, though they would always get up and start fighting and just immediately go unconscious again, so it was useless.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Zerf posted:

:dance: Thank you!

Also, thank you CuddleCryptid and Mr. Fall Down Terror, I've shown your feedback to the team!

Cool, I should pick up a copy and do a few vids - It looks up my street.

I could get you a whole 50 views! (Goes back to his tiny corner of his tiny niche.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I might be missing something about Slipways, but it just feels way too restrictive. You can't cross slipways, you can't send goods through other planets, you can't (other than immediately Undo'ing) destroy several Slipways and re-route your economy. It's less of a strategy and more of a graph puzzle where you need to make an excel sheet of who can connect to who, work out the optimal placement and that's it, that was the problem you were there to solve.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just got done playing it and I was going to post the exact same thoughts. It's more an exercise in frustration, I was spending a majority of my time flipping between uncolonized planets trying to figure out what would work best but none of it mattered because it'd eventually turn into a rat's nest of slipstreams in no time. It seems like a fun game but quickly turns to tedium and irritation. The maps they start you on also seem purposefully made to hamstring you and box your civilization in. Having the ability to put down junctions would be amazing, and wouldn't detract from the experience (imo) but I guess that's not what the devs are going for as it'd be more of a fun colony building simulator rather than a logistics puzzle. Big disappointment when I had a planet making 3 electronic circuits and I figured I could funnel all 3 into my nearby lab for the juicy bonus, but it turns out my civ are idiots who don't funnel excess goods across slipstreams because???

I pretty much gave up on trying to make amazing colonies and would just do my best to get them up to the satisfaction level above "we hate our existence".

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 5, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

So apparently a “big expansion” for Factorio is just now starting up with 1.1 being mostly final. Seems like big news! https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-365

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Kinda sad no plans for Factorio 2. Would love to see it married to Satisfactory first person. I feel so spoiled and immersed that I can't go back to DSP or Factorio.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Are there any decent iPad management games? I’m guessing they don’t generally lend themselves well to a touch interface, but has anyone overcome this?

Edit: I guess the kairosoft games would be pretty decent examples of the genre.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

snickles posted:

Are there any decent iPad management games? I’m guessing they don’t generally lend themselves well to a touch interface, but has anyone overcome this?

Edit: I guess the kairosoft games would be pretty decent examples of the genre.

Mini Gal4xy is an iphone game. It is basic, so if money or time is precious then pass. But this is the Management game thread.

It is a tight puzzler where you try an optimize a limited turn run to do enough 4X things to get enough stars to unlock the next race. I remember the progression being dumb demanding at certain breakpoints. I played it on steam, but it seemed hella keyed for touch pad. The mechanics are fine, not great but serviceable they reward previous knowledge of 4X concepts greatly making you feel like gal4xy brained genius for defeating baby game with baby +1 mechanics. It is heavily rng based on early momentum, so you can come out of a run feeling like a chump. Also it explains nothing about itself, all my words are from trial and error and it took 6ish attempts and false starts to get it.

I think it might hit the spot based on your post.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Are there any recommended chill but interesting management games that are recommended please? I think I want something mixed between a city builder and Factorio. I have sat here pulling my hair out with spaghetti in Factorio all weekend.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

fappenmeister posted:

Are there any recommended chill but interesting management games that are recommended please? I think I want something mixed between a city builder and Factorio. I have sat here pulling my hair out with spaghetti in Factorio all weekend.

dyson sphere program
add a third dimension to your spaghetti

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I did a moderately in depth writeup of Slipways and Potion Craft in the new releases thread here if anyone is interested.

Megazver posted:

I might be missing something about Slipways, but it just feels way too restrictive. You can't cross slipways, you can't send goods through other planets, you can't (other than immediately Undo'ing) destroy several Slipways and re-route your economy. It's less of a strategy and more of a graph puzzle where you need to make an excel sheet of who can connect to who, work out the optimal placement and that's it, that was the problem you were there to solve.

There are techs which give you ways around this, by giving you special stations that can act like highways linking together more than 2 worlds, cross over normal links, or by straight up moving planets where you need them to be, not to mention you can direct your development in ways that drastically alter resource input and output. The line between strategy and puzzle can be fine, and it's definitely more on the puzzle side than usual but there's still strategy in it IMO.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

fappenmeister posted:

Cant go wrong with the Anno Series. Set up production lines and trade routes to supply your ever growing colonial city.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

fappenmeister posted:

It depends upon what you mean by “chill”.

If you want something where there’s not a huge amount of pressure and solutions are pretty easy to find (if you’re not ratcheting the difficulty up) then the Tropico series is great. Give us a nudge and we’ll start another debate on whether 4 or 5 is the best. (No one thinks 6 is.) Also has really great music to listen to, though more “spicy” than “chill”.

If you want something slower paced where you can listen to a podcast or just watch ants run around and do your bidding, there’s Surviving Mars and Surviving the Aftermath which are very low key and slow paced, but does have the occasional death spiral before you get the hang of it. Aftermath is new and in early access, and therefore a little more death-spirally.

Also, I agree with Hihohe - the Anno series is a Factorio-like logistics challenge but generally more forgiving and less exasperating, especially if you play 1800AD without pirates.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

skeleton warrior posted:

It depends upon what you mean by “chill”.

If you want something where there’s not a huge amount of pressure and solutions are pretty easy to find (if you’re not ratcheting the difficulty up) then the Tropico series is great. Give us a nudge and we’ll start another debate on whether 4 or 5 is the best. (No one thinks 6 is.) Also has really great music to listen to, though more “spicy” than “chill”.

If you want something slower paced where you can listen to a podcast or just watch ants run around and do your bidding, there’s Surviving Mars and Surviving the Aftermath which are very low key and slow paced, but does have the occasional death spiral before you get the hang of it. Aftermath is new and in early access, and therefore a little more death-spirally.

Also, I agree with Hihohe - the Anno series is a Factorio-like logistics challenge but generally more forgiving and less exasperating, especially if you play 1800AD without pirates.

Thanks all.

I actually own Surviving Mars and most of the Anno games, so I should have another go at 1800 and SM.

There are a whole bunch of city builders coming out on Steam this year, so I'll keep my eyes open, and stare down DSP for a few more weeks.

To answer the question about what I define as "chill" as this does have a different meaning to everyone that's asked - I like collecting resources in these games, I like crafting and building, I'm not enjoying how complex and daunting the automation and logistics chains are in Factorio, but now I've basically just described Anno haha.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

Thanks all.

I actually own Surviving Mars and most of the Anno games, so I should have another go at 1800 and SM.

There are a whole bunch of city builders coming out on Steam this year, so I'll keep my eyes open, and stare down DSP for a few more weeks.

To answer the question about what I define as "chill" as this does have a different meaning to everyone that's asked - I like collecting resources in these games, I like crafting and building, I'm not enjoying how complex and daunting the automation and logistics chains are in Factorio, but now I've basically just described Anno haha.

I'm fascinated by the use of the genre term here, as when you say "management game" and chill I would be inclined to send you to Two Point Hospital, MegaAquarium and Jurassic World Evolution. But you want Factorio but chill which is a completely different thing in my head.

Which, yes, I know we're in the Management thread and it's all under the same umbrella. It's just interesting to think about for me, and I'm glad I tend to like all/most of the games falling under this umbrella. Compare/contrast the roguelikes thread where I'm still a purist and not happy about roguelites intruding on the space! :colbert:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Workers and resources might work if you want something crunchier than tropico.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Took the plunge on Snowtopia. Currently there is no economy but you can make a decent ski resort. Very barebones though needs a lot more content before it's ready. It's missing a lot of explanation on how mechanics work and missing overlays. At the moment it's a chill bonsai game but not worth the price yet. There are some fun designing and finnicky management options, but they need fleshing out.

Edit:

Adding a picture

Krataar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 7, 2021

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Talking about Tropico: Are the traffic options in T6 fixed yet? I'm talking about stuff like the parking garage, which became black holes of commuters in denser populated areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fappenmeister posted:

check out dawn of man. i've always thought of it as being chill, especially the shift between seasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02i1_wXdf7M