Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

*rolls down my window* it's because snyder is a fascist! enjoy the next ten pages! *speeds off while the horn plays la cucaracha*

Delta Hooooooooooouse! *shaking fist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

Can you find any articles or anyone making that comparison about it before March 17th? Because I've tried, and I'm genuinely curious if you can find anything. If this is such an obvious observation more people would have made it before that article. Is it possible to have made that connection separate from that? Sure, anything is possible.

I just don't find it particularly likely. To clarify a bit, I'm not saying they got it from that article specifically, Maybe they picked it up from some youtube channel or a forum post, but that article is absolutely where I believe it first started spreading. Whenever I ask why they think Snyder (or his work) is objectivist the response is almost always "Well he wants to adapt the fountainhead, obviously! That's it. That's the extent of the argument. He wants to adapt the fountainhead, ergo, he's an objectivist.

It's also interesting to me that it's always Snyders films that are painted as objectivist, when Howard Roark Tony Stark is right there and a far better comparison to the randian ubermench. I mean, iron man 2 could have been ghostwritten by Rand.

I think an Objectivist reading of the Iron Man movies seems pretty valid, too. Really, Iron Man and Batman have a lot of similar parallels as Randian ubermench figures and I know both have been written by multiple people at different times in ways that'd be interchangeable with Rand's protagonists. And relatedly, I think a lot of the Objectivist discourse around Snyder is as much rooted in the fact that he has tackled a fair number of superhero movies at this point. There was Watchmen and Man of Steel, and then that Devin Faraci article was obviously cashing in on the interest around Batman v Superman, which came out at the exact same time.

Objectivist conceits are pretty heavily embedded in the genre of American superhero stories, like Steve Ditko was a major creator in the establishment of Marvel's cape comics and it's his creations, The Question and more obliquely Mr. A, that Rorschach was a deconstruction of. I don't know if anyone went out of their way to publish some long articles about how the Watchmen movie "GOT RORSCHACH WRONG" but I know there was a bit of discourse around the movie changes to Rorschach, how he seemed more sympathetically framed, and the implications behind that. Otherwise, I know there's been eternal (albeit at this point kind of muted) debates around whether 300 is a satire/deconstruction or sincere propaganda since it came out, which while not Objectivist was definitely drawing a lot on artistic intent and speculation on Snyder's personal politics.

But I don't know, I think in general the attitude around Snyder and the willingness to give more charitable or left-leaning reading of his stuff took a sharp dive with Batman v Superman in particular.... just something about 2016-2017 made people jumpy. Sucker Punch and Man of Steel people seemed kind of divided/tepid on at the time, but there was a way more visible, visceral rejection of Batman v Superman. I don't know if the Devin Faraci article pulled the blindfold off everyone's eyes and started a hot trend, so much as happened to be a manifestation of something that was simmering for a while. I still don't buy it was the focal point of Objectivist readings, but people have been a lot more ready to call out what they see as right-wing nonsense, both from genuine concern and outrage clicks. I just don't feel like you can lay all this at the feet of one creeper.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 4, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't know what Steppenwolf was actually supposed to look like until recently and I'm not sure why they didn't go with his normal look.

The look of Apokolips was supposed to be very demonic and monstrous in general.

I think in stills the Steppenwolf design isn't great, but in motion I like how the edges sort of stand up for fighting. Still, not my favorite design ever, and I understand people not liking it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like that is armor has a "living" quality to it while being metallic. I get that it doesnt work for everyone though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He looks like a design out of a lesser Dark Souls clone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

He looks like a design out of a lesser Dark Souls clone.

Ah, Dark Souls 2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Roth posted:

Ah, Dark Souls 2

He always gave me Smelter Demon vibes.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. The Dark Knight still works even if it has some weird bad messages but i prefer the hopefull message of "jokers wrong about people and society" to "idk occupy bad or easily duped poo poo" like the vaguness of the world in nolan movies usualy works and i sorta liked it in the first 2 batman movies but its loving awful and dumb in DKR. the world building doesnt work. its trying to do a sorta soft reboot but it doesnt work because its just "lol batman hosed off for 10 years or some poo poo and i guess their was a RICO type act named after dent because they lied about how he went nuts and murdered some assholes"

It never ceases to infuriate me how it went from a moral about how people are fundamentally good in the Joker one to a moral about how people are fundamentally bad in the Bane one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

I think in stills the Steppenwolf design isn't great, but in motion I like how the edges sort of stand up for fighting. Still, not my favorite design ever, and I understand people not liking it.

The All Computer Chip Diet

Day 5

Day 30

Day 60

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Those designs look like modern Doom ones to me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wow I wasn't even that harsh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm now trying to imagine what Snyder's Granny Goodness will look like.

Just a horrible grandma made of butcher's knives.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The following image may disturb you

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roth posted:

Oh no there's no way this blob could have as much spine as Granny needs.

This guy's getting beaten up by a teenage Mister Miracle.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Roth posted:

Ah, Dark Souls 2

2 is the good one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roth posted:

That’s a Virman Wunderbar if ever I saw one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

2 is the good one.

It's the only one where the punch gloves are good so it's the only good one.

I'm honestly kind of amazed with how they decided to gaudy up this design by throwing on 80 layers of moving knives. There's no way this isn't going to be a confusing eye sore in a fight scene. My man looks like a first movie Bay-former.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snyder would probably cast himself as Wunderbar and then get killed by Darkseid's omega beams.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shyrka posted:

It never ceases to infuriate me how it went from a moral about how people are fundamentally good in the Joker one to a moral about how people are fundamentally bad in the Bane one.

yeah pretty much. rise was a mess.

probably slender with big tits and a knife tail or some poo poo. maybe with white hair.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably slender with big tits and a knife tail or some poo poo. maybe with white hair.

Snyder is only horny for buff men and badminton tyvm

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. rise was a mess.

I forget, was what we got always what was planned, or did Heath Ledger's death gently caress them that badly?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao holy poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New Doom is perfect

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

New Doom is perfect

Eternal is worse than 2016 which is worse than the originals. But yeah compared to modern shooters.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't know what Steppenwolf was actually supposed to look like until recently and I'm not sure why they didn't go with his normal look.

Both NVIDIA Steppenwolf and ATi Darkseid are extremely stupid and fun, imo. I also liked TNMT Shredder's design though.

fun hater posted:

the cw should be given exclusive creative control over every comics property ever made

It's been a bad day for posts but even we don't deserve this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he should just look like late-60s era John Kay, its the only thing I think of when I hear "Steppenwolf" anyway

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Eternal is worse than 2016 which is worse than the originals. But yeah compared to modern shooters.

Absolutely wrong. Doom 64 is the only.classic doom that is good outside of nostalgia and Eternal is a first person shooter character action game and is probably the most interesting game mechanically the franchise has ever put out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I'm really happy that the Inception BWOOOM sound still finds work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think most interesting mechanically and Doom are what people want to hear. It’s an arena shooter let it be that

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doom 1 and 2 are still enjoyable to play. Hating them is about as untrustworthy as hating Spider-Man 2 or Godzilla vs Biollante imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think most interesting mechanically and Doom are what people want to hear. It’s an arena shooter let it be that

The original Dooms aren't arena shooters (it's one of the myriad of issues with the new ones).

Roth posted:

Doom 1 and 2 are still enjoyable to play. Hating them is about as untrustworthy as hating Spider-Man 2 or Godzilla vs Biollante imo

Yup. It's not nostalgia they still play better than a lot of modern shooters.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 4, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why can’t it be something new. Why can’t the series evolve.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Absolutely wrong. Doom 64 is the only.classic doom that is good outside of nostalgia and Eternal is a first person shooter character action game and is probably the most interesting game mechanically the franchise has ever put out.

Doom 2 is like the perfect shooter how dare you!!! :stonk:

I literally built my first gaming PC (the PC I'm using right now) so I could play DOOM wads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Why can’t it be something new. Why can’t the series evolve.

Why can’t you make a new series instead of reusing an old IP.

Money most likely

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why can’t you make a new series instead of reusing an old IP.

Money most likely

I still find it funny they decided to give the new entry the exact same name as one of the most well known video games of all time.

Also something being new doesn't make it good. Changes can be for the worse.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I don't mind new dooms, (or even doom 3 for that matter) because they're doing something different. If you want new old DOOM, play some of the excellent user made WADS. (The cool thing about old doom is with the giant modding community around it, you will never run out of DOOM to play) but if you want a different take on DOOM, check out nu dooms, or even D3

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think 2016, as well as Eternal, are good clean fun. A real American past time like playing catch in the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was nice to slaughter demons during the early pandemic days. Good way to get the aggression out since Fat Orange Bitch kept ruining everything