Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Just wait till you try Death Metal. It's arguably worse.

I would say there's no "arguably" about it, there's nothing good about it unless you like Snyder pulling out a bunch of ideas he thinks are totally metal like he's a 14 year old busting out his fanfic where all the heroes stop being so lame and gently caress the bad guys up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TwoPair posted:

I would say there's no "arguably" about it, there's nothing good about it unless you like Snyder pulling out a bunch of ideas he thinks are totally metal like he's a 14 year old busting out his fanfic where all the heroes stop being so lame and gently caress the bad guys up.

You have nailed the appeal for sure. It is a book that I read and mostly enjoyed but I can't really explain why or why anyone would like it either. It sold really well at my store so :shrug:

DC has never been great at events, but at least this one was 100 percent ignorable.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

gently caress it I liked it. Just the right amount of dumb popcorn poo poo.

Also Lex Luther bemoaning his lack of hair and envying heavy metal clark's mane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You have nailed the appeal for sure. It is a book that I read and mostly enjoyed but I can't really explain why or why anyone would like it either. It sold really well at my store so :shrug:

DC has never been great at events, but at least this one was 100 percent ignorable.

I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC one, so I can't really remember any big DC events that are still popular. Death and Return of Superman? Crisis on Infinite Earths is important. I know Identity Crisis was really popular as it was happening, but my understanding is people really soured on it once it was over.

I should clarify, I mean in BSS, I know there's tons of people in the general comic Fandom who love these, part of the reason they keep doing them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC one, so I can't really remember any big DC events that are still popular. Death and Return of Superman? Crisis on Infinite Earths is important. I know Identity Crisis was really popular as it was happening, but my understanding is people really soured on it once it was over.

I should clarify, I mean in BSS, I know there's tons of people in the general comic Fandom who love these, part of the reason they keep doing them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I completely forgot that there was a Young Heroes in Love tie-in. Sheesh. I have no idea how it holds up but I used to love that book as a kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmm, wasn't that book like technically creator owned and that's why it wasn't in the omnibus?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I enjoyed Death Metal, but I pretended it was a parody of itself and of the whole concept of Grimdark Batman in general

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

Hmmm, wasn't that book like technically creator owned and that's why it wasn't in the omnibus?

Yeah, I'm actually kinda surprised that it's apparently up on DC Infinite

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

I think DCeased might be the only DC event that I am an unreserved fan of. You'd think that with all the big players in DC being, on average, much more powerful than Marvel superheroes their universe would be a better fit for world-ending crossover events, but I guess not.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DC 1,000,000, and the newer Secret Wars are probably my two favorite comic events. They’re both really silly ideas, but they allow the writers involved to have a lot of fun, and it shows for the most part. Also, they both involved nearly every book the respective companies were publishing at the time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skwirl posted:

Final Crisis still good. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Identity Crisis lead to the creation of BSS so there's that at least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I think DCeased might be the only DC event that I am an unreserved fan of. You'd think that with all the big players in DC being, on average, much more powerful than Marvel superheroes their universe would be a better fit for world-ending crossover events, but I guess not.

I like DCeased a lot as well. Good stakes, lot of insanity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Identity Crisis lead to the creation of BSS so there's that at least.

Oh god, it's even worse than I thought.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still like Crisis on Infinite Earths a lot.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I unabashedly think No Man's Land is a ton of fun even if parts of it are extremely goofy.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

The thing that amuses me most about the ONE MILLION JUSTICE LEAGUE is that their Flash is a lovely washed up version from Wally's 90's run because Wally's already stupid enough to be a dumb cosmic god being.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
COIE is a huge loving mess and narratively stalls out and falls apart but in spite of that it's still somehow an entertaining read

Are we counting JLA/Avengers as an event?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

I unabashedly think No Man's Land is a ton of fun even if parts of it are extremely goofy.

Honestly I think NML's biggest problem is it goes on too long.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

Agreed. But yeah as far as events go in DC I'd say 1,000,000 is my favorite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Legion of Three Worlds is a guilty pleasure of mine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Armageddon 2001 was one of the first comic events I ever read and Waverider seeing everyone's potential futures in their annuals was a great way to do it. And then they hosed the ending up so bad that it retroactively made me hate something I really enjoyed. It was the first time ever that I was disappointed by comics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Are we counting 52?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly I think NML's biggest problem is it goes on too long.

I never read all of NML but the stuff I did read I really liked. I have read all of Knightfall and despite some really dated stuff now (more to do with Batman power creep than anything else) it still holds up pretty well and is a lot of fun.
I enjoyed Infinite Crisis when it first came out but then when I saw that Johns was just going to rip off his own event over and over again it took away the shine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Are we counting JLA/Avengers as an event?
I wouldn't, but there's people who seem to think "multi-issue storyline in a single ongoing comic" counts as an event, so maybe a self-contained miniseries can count as an event if we want it to.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm now rereading DC 1,000,000 and I could not be happier.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are we counting 52?

52 is definitely one of my favorite DC runs easily. It is a real shame Countdown is one of the worst.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

52 rules but I would call it a very long standalone series rather than an event.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 3, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't really have any idea what was going on in the Outsiders Future State stuff but I just gotta post this look for Duke 'cuz it's so sexy

That there is a fine look.

(:v: that's Black Lightning with him, they haven't also given Duke electric powers [yet])

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I understand that is Black Lightning

but that panel really makes it look like he's Duke's Stand

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I don't really have any idea what was going on in the Outsiders Future State stuff but I just gotta post this look for Duke 'cuz it's so sexy

That there is a fine look.

(:v: that's Black Lightning with him, they haven't also given Duke electric powers [yet])

ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

I understand that is Black Lightning

but that panel really makes it look like he's Duke's Stand

I wish that was the case.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That's kind of what's happening actually, 'cuz Jefferson got turned into living lightning 'cuz of magic reasons and he's currently inhabiting one of Katana's katanas, which Duke is carrying around now fooooor oother reasons.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Duke's bizarre adventure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, however brilliant it was, doing that halfway through a season is loving insane.

I'm thinking of cartoons I watched week to week and that would have killed any of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

That's kind of what's happening actually, 'cuz Jefferson got turned into living lightning 'cuz of magic reasons and he's currently inhabiting one of Katana's katanas, which Duke is carrying around now fooooor oother reasons.

Siegkrow posted:

Duke's bizarre adventure.

This needs to continue. Change the setting up because No Mask Gotham is dumb, but just Adult Duke with his partner/stand Black Lightning loving poo poo up and enacting justice would be rad in the right hands.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Christ, so many of these Future State books were so nonsensical, but the Titans story has got to be the most actual gibberish thing I've read. At least we got one more mile out of some e̵͖̔v̵̫̭̇̊i̷͎͛̈̓l̴̤͐͝ ̸̙̭̜̃̐̈W̴͈̩̗̌̐̕à̸̘̯̜l̶͙̫͎̾͂͊l̷̦̔̅̊ÿ̷̮̫́ ̶̙́͝W̸͔̝̺̏̾ȩ̷̝̤̈́̉͐ş̸͗t̸̡̄͝ content, amirite?

Is Sheridan seriously the writer going forward for this book? This team is just plain cursed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Christ, so many of these Future State books were so nonsensical, but the Titans story has got to be the most actual gibberish thing I've read. At least we got one more mile out of some e̵͖̔v̵̫̭̇̊i̷͎͛̈̓l̴̤͐͝ ̸̙̭̜̃̐̈W̴͈̩̗̌̐̕à̸̘̯̜l̶͙̫͎̾͂͊l̷̦̔̅̊ÿ̷̮̫́ ̶̙́͝W̸͔̝̺̏̾ȩ̷̝̤̈́̉͐ş̸͗t̸̡̄͝ content, amirite?

Is Sheridan seriously the writer going forward for this book? This team is just plain cursed.

Oh good, so it wasn't me? I have no idea what's happening. The horsemen looked neat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Miracle Molly is just Tynion's Cyberpunk PC right?