Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Saoshyant posted:

I just checked and last issue was four months ago. I wonder what's up with the massive delay. I really thought they had canceled it (thank the gods that wasn't the case).

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/status/1352358928407949312?s=20

I know covers are usually done well in advance a lot but a whole year seems a bit excessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Zdarsky has proven himself a much stronger writer than Russell, but I'll certainly check that out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

I think Zdarsky has proven himself a much stronger writer than Russell, but I'll certainly check that out.

Zdarsky is probably a top ten writer currently working.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'd read anything by Zdarsky, but his Spider-Man has a special place in my heart.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually kinda like Sue's costume with the skirt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I actually kinda like Sue's costume with the skirt

That's not her costume, the blue ring is the costume and everything outside is before their fateful rocketflight.

Though when Lee/Kirby were in charge of the book Sue's civvies were almost always a dress or a top and skirt.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haven't had a chance to read either today but this seems... not great?

https://twitter.com/bizmichael/status/1357067666582691840?s=20

Especially that Immortal Hulk panel.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Immortal Hulk one seems like an honest mistake to me because Cronenberg is a big part of this series and he's very openly Jewish and tries to publicly interpret what that means.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cloks posted:

The Immortal Hulk one seems like an honest mistake to me because Cronenberg is a big part of this series and he's very openly Jewish and tries to publicly interpret what that means.

I think that's only if a defense people are working under the assumption Al Ewing said "hey put some weird kinda anti-jewish imagery in the background" in the script and not that this is Bennett or a colorist or something pulling some poo poo which is infinitely more likely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Immortal Hulk thing is bad, but wearing a Star of David all the time hasn't ever been a huge part of Kate Pryde's character, even the times when they were drawing on her Jewish heritage for parallels. Like, no one ever points out all the times Matt Murdock isn't wearing a crucifix.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

The Immortal Hulk thing is bad, but wearing a Star of David all the time hasn't ever been a huge part of Kate Pryde's character, even the times when they were drawing on her Jewish heritage for parallels. Like, no one ever points out all the times Matt Murdock isn't wearing a crucifix.

I had to go back and check. She gets the necklace from nightcrawler when she comes back from the dead but then she actually doesn't seem to wear it the rest of the series so far so yeah that's fair.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The storefront reads 'jewery' or 'jewers'. The potential L before or after the E is not there. So uh... yikes?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah Kate not wearing the star seems like a simple honest mistake. She's not always wearing it.

That Hulk panel though is a drat horrorshow, which is saying something in that book.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not particularly into King in Black, but Si Spurrier has a fun Black Knight tie-in this week. He's mostly taking the piss out of the character which I found amusing, but if you happen to be a big Black Knight fan you might not appreciate it.
I thought this was great, though yeah it's hmmm a bit unkind to Dane. He turns it around though!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm sure that Akira Yoshida will treat this with the seriousness it deserves.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Blockhouse posted:

I think that's only if a defense people are working under the assumption Al Ewing said "hey put some weird kinda anti-jewish imagery in the background" in the script and not that this is Bennett or a colorist or something pulling some poo poo which is infinitely more likely.

I dunno, I'm very sensitive to antisemitism and I'm just not seeing it. I feel like it's an honest dumb mistake.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Another wacky slip-up from Joe Bennett, the man who hates trans people and encouraged far-right violence against journalists, probably nothing to worry about there.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shirkelton posted:

Another wacky slip-up from Joe Bennett, the man who hates trans people and encouraged far-right violence against journalists, probably nothing to worry about there.

Ah, did not know that. Yikes! I take it back.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ugh, I guess he has to go. Like yesterday.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

he has to go. Like yesterday.

radlum
May 13, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

The storefront reads 'jewery' or 'jewers'. The potential L before or after the E is not there. So uh... yikes?

Yeah, the lack of an L is a big tell; this was no honest mistake.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

radlum posted:

Yeah, the lack of an L is a big tell; this was no honest mistake.

It's not even the first time some rear end in a top hat artist tried to sneak it in a comic with Kate https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/culture/2017/4/10/15242446/xmen-anti-semitic-ardian-syaf . What is it with Xmen and this happening? Is it because they're kind of the apex of popular/multicultural so they occasionally get creators that sigh every time they have to draw a different skin tone?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not even the first time some rear end in a top hat artist tried to sneak it in a comic with Kate https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/culture/2017/4/10/15242446/xmen-anti-semitic-ardian-syaf . What is it with Xmen and this happening? Is it because they're kind of the apex of popular/multicultural so they occasionally get creators that sigh every time they have to draw a different skin tone?

the jewelry store panel is from Immortal Hulk, the Kate stuff is entirely disconnected

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Abroham Lincoln posted:

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/status/1352358928407949312?s=20

I know covers are usually done well in advance a lot but a whole year seems a bit excessive
Runaways got super duper delayed by Covid, as did a number of Marvel books. An arc wrapped up with Runaways #31 (released March 1) and #32 was supposed to come out in April 2020, #33 in May 2020, #34 in June. But those June solicitations were sent out the same week the country went into lockdown, Diamond shut down all new comics distribution, etc.

There were no new comics from the end of March to the end of May, and it was kind of a slow return:
Here are the pre- and post-lockdown weekly release numbers, (not counting variant covers, 2nd printings, $1 reprints, trades, etc.)
March 4, 2020: 22 new comics
March 11, 2020: 23 new comics
March 18, 2020: 23 new comics
March 25, 2020: 21 new comics
[April 1-May 20: no new Marvel comics]
May 27, 2020: 5 new comics
June 3, 2020: 0 new comics
June 10, 2020: 6 new comics
June 17, 2020: 0 new comics
June 24, 2020: 7 new comics
July 1, 2020: 0 new comics
July 8, 2020: 7 new comics
July 15, 2020: 13 new comics
July 22, 2020: 10 new comics
July 29, 2020: 12 new comics

They eventually spun up further, but even this week there are only ("only") 16 new Marvel comics out, last week was 17. A lot of books solicited for April either disappeared or are only now coming back. The upcoming Non-Stop Spider-Man ongoing by Joe Kelly was originally supposed to come out in June 2020, and won't be out until next month. There are a number of projects solicited that still haven't even been fully rescheduled, from small time things that might just end up canceled to bigger things like Kurt Busiek's Marvels sequel, Gerry Duggan's Infinity Stones Annual Micro-Event, the end of TNC's Black Panther run, and others things I have to assume they're waiting to resolicit for some reason.

For some reason Runaways got #32 back in October and #33 today, with 34 and 35 scheduled for March and April. So if you consider that up until the end of March 2020 Kris Anka probably assumed that Runaways #35 was coming out the first week of July 2020, whipping up the cover last February only put him like ~4 months ahead of release.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 4, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not a comic with Kate (unless she has a cameo) all three pictures in the initial tweet are from three different comics with 3 different artists. And the jewelry store one isn't an X-Men comic.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Is The Maker slated to appear in KiB? Or is he just sitting out in 1610 waiting for ewing/cates/hickman to find something to do with him

actually, i just realised how much i want bennett and the rest of immortal hulk's art team to do maker. ultimates 25-30 with a million reeds branching off and working on tony stark/computers was great, i don't even know what monstrosities they'd do with him

Quotey fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 4, 2021

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I always felt that Maker was a sure-thing for an Immortal Hulk appearance too but unless there's a big swerve (or a small cameo) coming soon it looks like Ewings' got nothing for him. The Smart-But-Evil guy role has been filled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the leader was always the dumbest smart guy in the mu, which is saying quite a lot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the leader was always the dumbest smart guy in the mu, which is saying quite a lot.

The Mad Thinker had planned to be the dumbest smart guy, but because he forgot to carry the 1, the Leader ended up taking that spot.

The Mad Thinker has to live with the knowledge that in a contest to be the dumbest smart guy....he came in second.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I think this undersells the Wizard.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hank McCoy called, he wants the last 20 years of comics he's appeared in back.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Hank mutated himself into a fur man in 1972, so he's been kind of a dope for close to half a century now

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This is a cool little window into the OG Thunderbolts, and it features an early Songbird sketch, elevating it further because Songbird is rad.

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/status/1357398766693851136

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Metalshark posted:

This is a cool little window into the OG Thunderbolts, and it features an early Songbird sketch, elevating it further because Songbird is rad.

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/status/1357398766693851136

Is she in anything now, I loved when she got be an an actual Avenger, even if it was Sunspots bootleg Avengers.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Skwirl posted:

Is she in anything now, I loved when she got be an an actual Avenger, even if it was Sunspots bootleg Avengers.

She showed up in a DPS in Empyre for the wedding since she was in USAvengers with Wiccan and Hulkling, but nothing since and I can't think of anything other than that brief Thunderbolts run for a bit and Power Man and Iron Fist a while back, where she guested with Mockingbird.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I want to say she was in avengers no road home, but I may be wrong about that

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Karma Tornado posted:

Hank mutated himself into a fur man in 1972, so he's been kind of a dope for close to half a century now

Hank is such an idiot genus that the X-Men had to have an intervention to get him to stop loving around with super science.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

Hank is such an idiot genus that the X-Men had to have an intervention to get him to stop loving around with super science.

I picture that like the time Ron Swanson had a Tammy 2 intervention.

"You must keep goin-" *Cyclops shakes his head* "You must stop"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I picture that like the time Ron Swanson had a Tammy 2 intervention.

"You must keep goin-" *Cyclops shakes his head* "You must stop"

insert picture of Old Hank talking to Young Hank from Hickman's New Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

insert picture of Old Hank talking to Young Hank from Hickman's New Avengers.

Or the watchers visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Avengers Mech Strike is about as good as it could be given the concept. I think it does what it needs to in justifying the setup and the voices for the characters are well done - I really like how it established a dichotomy for the team in terms of power sets, made it important and then evolved it for the conclusion.