Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

This is the solution that I tend to think is right.

Either they strayed into some test in an area the military thought was empty and got killed by accident or (less likely imo) the military saw a bunch of people somewhere they shouldn't have been and thought it was something nefarious and made an air attack, which killed some of them and forced the rest away.

Then, once they realized their mistake, they went into cover-up mode. Not a perfect theory either, but it does help to explain a lot of the more puzzling aspects (radiation, heavy physical trauma, the fact that the military really did appear to be covering up something, etc.)

I don’t think the Soviet military did many air strikes against random people in the woods in Russia, but maybe I’m wrong. :shrug:

The avalanche/wind/yeti/murder-suicide theories are more sound, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Outrail posted:

And then crows or other animals. Ate the eyes and tounge.

Radioactivity can be explained by 'its was Russia and... You know, Russia things'.
It used to be standard (sometimes still is) for camping lantern mantles to be dosed with Thorium.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fly Molo posted:

I don’t think the Soviet military did many air strikes against random people in the woods in Russia, but maybe I’m wrong. :shrug:

Yeah, not saying it's 100% the theory, but the scenario I was saying is more crappy accident than anything deliberate.

Something like the Soviet Air Force is doing training with some kind of parachute bomb or other air detonated explosive, dropped them on the party unawares, which made the group panic flee and killed a couple of them as they fled. The rest die of exposure afraid to go back to the tent because they don't know what just happened.

The military might not have known they'd even done anything wrong until they get a report of lost ski tourists, find the site and figured it out. The party was really off course when they set down camp, so no one dropping something would have a reason to worry about hitting someone there. Maybe the bombs themselves were even dropped in the wrong place too. Just a lovely series of unlikely coincidences.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

They did military tests in those mountains apparently. I don't think they were targeting hikers because that's crazy but a nearby test would of been enough to spook people out of their tent.

Military said they weren't testing that night but of course they would say that.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Here's a totally made up scenario:

The katabatic winds kept increasing in intensity all night to the point that, even in the wind-shade of the lee side of their dugout, the tent they were in started to come apart around them. Unable to re-erect their shelter in the hurricane-force winds, or to even unbutton the tent-flaps, they decided, as a group, to cut their way out and move to the protection of the tree-line and wait out the winds. Somewhere along the way, perhaps even shortly after escaping their downed tent, they were all caught in a slab-avalanche which severely injured some of the party and caused enough disorientation that trying to return to the tent for supplies was seemingly more dangerous and less likely to succeed than trying to continue to the treeline to find their stashed supplies and resume their original plan of waiting out the winds in relative safety. Unable to get a fire going, the continually plummeting temperatures caused by the katabatic winds sap their energy and impair their thinking to the point where their actions become unfocused and erratic. Once they are no longer able to work in cohesion toward a common goal, they're all dead.

Story time is fun time!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe they did get crushed by an avalanche but then experimental Soviet bomb blew it all away and removed the dudes eyes and tongue?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It was obviously a stun bomb aimed at the local yeti in order to finally capture a specimen, but it was much too powerful for a regular human leading to fatal results and internal injuries.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

brb changing my screen name to Soviet Tongue Bomb

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Clark Nova posted:

That's a sick bedroom move

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

:vince:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

emf posted:

Here's a totally made up scenario:

The katabatic winds kept increasing in intensity all night to the point that, even in the wind-shade of the lee side of their dugout, the tent they were in started to come apart around them. Unable to re-erect their shelter in the hurricane-force winds, or to even unbutton the tent-flaps, they decided, as a group, to cut their way out and move to the protection of the tree-line and wait out the winds. Somewhere along the way, perhaps even shortly after escaping their downed tent, they were all caught in a slab-avalanche which severely injured some of the party and caused enough disorientation that trying to return to the tent for supplies was seemingly more dangerous and less likely to succeed than trying to continue to the treeline to find their stashed supplies and resume their original plan of waiting out the winds in relative safety. Unable to get a fire going, the continually plummeting temperatures caused by the katabatic winds sap their energy and impair their thinking to the point where their actions become unfocused and erratic. Once they are no longer able to work in cohesion toward a common goal, they're all dead.

Story time is fun time!

This seems very far fetched. Have you considered the possibility that katabatic winds transformed one of the hikers into a wereyeti, who cut his way out of the tent, devoured their eyes and genitals, only to transform back to a human and freeze to death?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Seems like they pissed off Zolotaya Baba by walking on her sacred mountain, so she sent a yeti after them. Occam's Razor and all.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

This seems very far fetched. Have you considered the possibility that katabatic winds transformed one of the hikers into a wereyeti, who cut his way out of the tent, devoured their eyes and genitals, only to transform back to a human and freeze to death?

i have now

emf
Aug 1, 2002

real question for a sec: has anyone other than me who's weighing in on this (or lurking) gone back-country cross-country skiing (snow-showing/whatevs) and winter camping (alpine or not)

i'm not trying to gate-keep because i don't give a poo poo if anyone wants to armchair analyze some armchair analysis of a bunch of long-dead white-russians, and i actually really enjoy the stochastic conversations which only goons can create in their infinite capacity to :justpost: but I am a little curious how many goons itt are out-doorsey folks with winter experience

tia

edit: I don't winter camp anymore, btw. You know that effect where cold makes your extremities hurt, and the more often that happens the worse it gets? My loving hands and feet hurt like hell when it gets even close to freezing temps now, and I just can't take tenting in anything but the mildest winter weather, and then only if there's a hot-spring to soak in all day.

gently caress the cold

emf fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 4, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm a loving yeti and I post, you poser

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm a loving yeti and I post, you poser

it's all true

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

emf posted:

real question for a sec: has anyone other than me who's weighing in on this (or lurking) gone back-country cross-country skiing (snow-showing/whatevs) and winter camping (alpine or not)

i'm not trying to gate-keep because i don't give a poo poo if anyone wants to armchair analyze some armchair analysis of a bunch of long-dead white-russians, and i actually really enjoy the stochastic conversations which only goons can create in their infinite capacity to :justpost: but I am a little curious how many goons itt are out-doorsey folks with winter experience

tia

I wish, but no. I did some light stuff before my back went to poo poo, never on that level though, just day trips, mostly on old rail trails, that kind of thing, nothing seriously off trail.

It sounds like you do though, and I don't know about anyone else, but if you do, I think it'd be interesting to hear about your thoughts on a theory or just maybe "what would make you run screaming from your tent with whatever you happened to be wearing", not necessarily related to their specific situation.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

emf posted:

tia

edit: I don't winter camp anymore, btw. You know that effect where cold makes your extremities hurt, and the more often that happens the worse it gets? My loving hands and feet hurt like hell when it gets even close to freezing temps now, and I just can't take tenting in anything but the mildest winter weather, and then only if there's a hot-spring to soak in all day.

gently caress the cold

Yes. I go on overnight ski tours much less now, as I have thyroid disease and can't handle the cold so much. Now I'm mostly a sunny-day climber and sometimes do alpine poo poo.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

emf posted:

tia

I've done trips very much like their trip. I'm not in my 90s so I used more recent equipment, and I've never stuffed 9 people in one tent. Otherwise I feel like I've been right where they were just before the yeti attack. In my experience, even a 12 pound yeti could pop the tiny safety bubble of the tent, and that's it, game over

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

emf posted:

tia

gently caress the cold
I once slept in a tent at a festival.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

effortpost

Azathoth posted:

I wish, but no. I did some light stuff before my back went to poo poo, never on that level though, just day trips, mostly on old rail trails, that kind of thing, nothing seriously off trail.

It sounds like you do though, and I don't know about anyone else, but if you do, I think it'd be interesting to hear about your thoughts on a theory or just maybe "what would make you run screaming from your tent with whatever you happened to be wearing", not necessarily related to their specific situation.
Sorry about your back, that sucks. My winter trekking is almost all day-trips now because it's just too dangerous and unpleasant to be winter camping -- got snowshoes sitting across my back seat atm. As for my thoughts on this: whatever the cause, their shelter collapsed and they were unable to fix it due to extremely high winds. They sought shelter in the trees where, if they weren't injured by a slab-avalanche like the paper supposes, perhaps they were bopped by some widow-makers. No shelter other than trees (which are throwing branches at you), winds too high to make fire, and your core temperature dropping means everyone dies confused.

I think the confusion aspect is under-appreciated here. Speaking personally, I've seen the effects that just being unsure can have on decision-making in a dangerous environment. Second-guessing leads to flailing about--accomplishing nothing. I've heard people say that you need to be able to think quickly in an emergency, but I feel it is far more important to think slowly and deliberately, and develop a plan of action which you deviate from only if necessary. Here, they seem to have acted before thinking, and when their half-baked plan started to unravel, they kept on producing more half-baked plans until everyone was dead.

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

Yes. I go on overnight ski tours much less now, as I have thyroid disease and can't handle the cold so much. Now I'm mostly a sunny-day climber and sometimes do alpine poo poo.
I've never been into climbing, but I've been working on my upper body strength just so I can do some wall work if and when the covid is over. A bit envious, really, even though climbing always seemed like a false shortcut if there were another way around. Mostly, though, I'm just afraid of heights.

Epitope posted:

I've done trips very much like their trip. I'm not in my 90s so I used more recent equipment, and I've never stuffed 9 people in one tent. Otherwise I feel like I've been right where they were just before the yeti attack. In my experience, even a 12 pound yeti could pop the tiny safety bubble of the tent, and that's it, game over

I've sometimes thought of what a gruesome mess a small bobcat would make of me and my tent if it were so inclined. I also sometimes think of the gruesome mess my 12 lb housecat would make of me if similarly motivated. Best not to think of those things.

mobby_6kl posted:

I once slept in a tent at a festival.

So, the only person here who's slept 9-to-a-tent and been attacked in the dead of night by unnameable, unspeakable, unfathomable horrors and thus is qualified to offer an informed opinion.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

emf posted:

I've never been into climbing, but I've been working on my upper body strength just so I can do some wall work if and when the covid is over. A bit envious, really, even though climbing always seemed like a false shortcut if there were another way around. Mostly, though, I'm just afraid of heights.

I'm an overweight middle-aged woman who has never done a pull-up in her life and I climb 5.10 just fine. legs are way more important

emf
Aug 1, 2002

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

I'm an overweight middle-aged woman who has never done a pull-up in her life and I climb 5.10 just fine.
idk what that means exactly but it sounds pretty bad-rear end

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

legs are way more important
idk what that means exactly but it sounds pretty nice-rear end

brb, gonna go do some squats

I still don't like heights though

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gym climbing's fun, especially if you can go outside the hours office workers go

idk if its like this elsewhere but in the bay area gym climbing has become golf for tech workers

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I’ve always wondered how they knew the tent was cut from the inside. How can they tell?

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

OMGVBFLOL posted:

gym climbing's fun, especially if you can go outside the hours office workers go

idk if its like this elsewhere but in the bay area gym climbing has become golf for tech workers

Yeah it’s like tennis was in the 80s. Annoying as gently caress.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The Yuba County Five is more interesting that the Dyatlov Pass incident. :can:

Yep. That one seriously haunted me for weeks after I first read it.

With Dyatlov you can just boil everything down to wind/snow pelting the tent/aerial mine test/CO poisoning followed by:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

when people slowly freeze to death the final phase is "go crazy and party naked."

and that explains it. Not conclusively or entirely satisfactorily, but it fits.

The Yuba Five is just...no plausible explanation fits even the basic facts.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

Yeah it’s like tennis was in the 80s. Annoying as gently caress.

poo poo

I've probably got a couple years here in bf-nowhere, USA if it hasn't been a fad yet for too long.

i hope

Are big climbing parks a thing like with mountain biking? If not, I wish I had some capital ...

edit; all this talk about winter camping is making my bones hurt so much I've decided to run a hot bath

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

edit: actually nevermind.

Some people just need to go outside more me thinks.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 4, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

emf posted:

poo poo

I've probably got a couple years here in bf-nowhere, USA if it hasn't been a fad yet for too long.

i hope

Are big climbing parks a thing like with mountain biking? If not, I wish I had some capital ...

edit; all this talk about winter camping is making my bones hurt so much I've decided to run a hot bath

Yeah, they're called Yosemite or Squamish

It's weird how tech people have gravitated towards climbing.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The convenient explanation for the Yuba City Five is that Gary Mathias (the only one of the group who did not have an intellectual disability but who was "schizophrenic") lost touch with reality and led the rest to their deaths by going up that mountain road for reasons that can never be reconstructed, as they stemmed from his delusions, and that everything else flowed from there, and anything that doesn't fit is either mistaken identity, hallucination, or coincidence.

I think it's about as good a fit as "avalanche" for Dyatlov Pass, but I've heard it brought up in seriousness, and I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, even if I think there's way more to it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BalloonFish posted:

The Yuba Five is just...no plausible explanation fits even the basic facts.

The obvious explanation seems pretty plausible - the take a wrong turn but don't realise it, think they're close and decide to carry on on foot after the car gets stuck (because they still don't realise they're lost), two of them succumb to hypothermia on the walk.

One of them is badly frostbitten and stays in the shelter while the other two go for help, but isn't mentally competent enough to actually use the stuff there and just ends up prolonging his end. The other two also succumb to the cold while going for help, but separately and one of the bodies is never located.

If you consider the witnesses that claim to have seen them to be credible then it does get a bit stranger, I guess.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

There's three interconnected things that make the Yuba City Five really bizarre.

The first is getting where they were at all. I mean, I've been lost as hell in some rural rear end areas pre-GPS but I don't think I've ever been that lost. And going up a loving mountain is a pretty solid "wrong way" indicator.

The second is why they would leave the car at all. It started right up when it was found, it wasn't stuck, it had a quarter tank of gas. They literally drove it back down the mountain.

And the third is why they'd leave the road and go overland, presumably in the dark, and in an area that none of them were even slightly familiar with.

As a tragedy, everything else flows from those three bad decisions/events.

For me, the hardest thing about it overall is getting an actual read on the intellectual functioning of 4 of the 5 of them. I don't bring that up to put them down or say that they're lesser than or anything, just it's genuinely hard from what's out there to understand just how independent they actually were.

If the answer is that they not as able to function independently as some accounts make it seem, there's a plausible solution that involves Matthias disconnecting from reality and leading them to their deaths, but if they were higher functioning, that makes the above there points all the more inexplicable.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

There's three interconnected things that make the Yuba City Five really bizarre.

The first is getting where they were at all. I mean, I've been lost as hell in some rural rear end areas pre-GPS but I don't think I've ever been that lost. And going up a loving mountain is a pretty solid "wrong way" indicator.

The second is why they would leave the car at all. It started right up when it was found, it wasn't stuck, it had a quarter tank of gas. They literally drove it back down the mountain.

And the third is why they'd leave the road and go overland, presumably in the dark, and in an area that none of them were even slightly familiar with.

As a tragedy, everything else flows from those three bad decisions/events.

For me, the hardest thing about it overall is getting an actual read on the intellectual functioning of 4 of the 5 of them. I don't bring that up to put them down or say that they're lesser than or anything, just it's genuinely hard from what's out there to understand just how independent they actually were.

If the answer is that they not as able to function independently as some accounts make it seem, there's a plausible solution that involves Matthias disconnecting from reality and leading them to their deaths, but if they were higher functioning, that makes the above there points all the more inexplicable.

The foul play answer really does seem like the simple answer to me. Some assholes decided to gently caress with the slow kids and marched them up to the camp. It explains your points and heart attack man's account perfectly. It explains everything other than the later sighting at the convenience store which is almost certainly mistaken identity.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

emf posted:

real question for a sec:

Harshest winter night I've experienced was like 10C

Rieux
Jan 15, 2010

emf posted:

tia

gently caress the cold

I go winter camping here in the mountains of Utah and summer mountaineering on the glaciers in the Cascades. I'm into climbing/mountaineering, backpacking, and trail running.

I took my 6-year-old daughter winter camping here in the Wasatch last weekend. The temps were probably somewhere in the teens. We dug a snow shelter, had a fire, and stayed warm in our sleeping bags the entire night.

Winter camping is like a lot of things in the outdoors. You have to put the time, energy, and research into doing it right. The right gear makes a huge difference. If you live somewhere the used gear market is good, you can definitely do a lot on a budget.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

This is what I was getting at. Once they're on a mountainside, at the snowline, in the dark, their final demise isn't that inexplicable, just very tragic.

But why were they there, miles in the wrong direction and in such different terrain that they were clearly not on the highway back to Yuba? Why did they drive some distance on an unmade road? Why did they abandon their fly functional car? Why did they keep heading up the mountain and into the forest?

The guy who was lying in his VW Beetle a few yards up the road after having a heart attack (such a strange addition to the story!) says he heard voices, saw lights and figures and a pick-up truck. But said himself he was delerious from pain and slipping in and out of proper conciousness. Credible?

Azathoth posted:

If the answer is that they not as able to function independently as some accounts make it seem, there's a plausible solution that involves Mathias disconnecting from reality and leading them to their deaths, but if they were higher functioning, that makes the above there points all the more inexplicable.

Yes. It doesn't help that some of the contemporary reports have errors, such as the distance between the car and the camping trailer, stated as 20 miles in the local press story on which most subsequent re-tellings of the case are based, being significantly less. Less than half that, IIRC.

E:

Leviathan Song posted:

The foul play answer really does seem like the simple answer to me. Some assholes decided to gently caress with the slow kids and marched them up to the camp. It explains your points and heart attack man's account perfectly. It explains everything other than the later sighting at the convenience store which is almost certainly mistaken identity.

I hadn't heard any suggestion of foul play of that sort before, only the 'crazed man with an axe living in the woods' sort to explain why they scattered once they stopped driving.

Assholes picking on the slow kids is, depressingly, something that would fit the first half of events, then the tragic conclusion follows. So the idea being that said assholes spot them at the game or the gas station where they stopped to buy snacks (the last sighting)?

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 4, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the last family reunion I attended in Bismarck, ND, it got down to 36 loving degrees in the morning of 6 July. does that count?

(I was there a different summer and the gas station thermometer sign read 114 on the 4th. the weather's insane there.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I ain't gatekeeping or nothing because this is GBS and there's lots of folks here who never venture beyond this hallowed hall, but: we do have an entire outdoors subforum, complete with literally tens of goons who know all about winter camping and would be happy to recommend you a 4-season tent or argue the merits of different brands of snow shoes...
The Great Outdoors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

The obvious explanation seems pretty plausible - the take a wrong turn but don't realise it

It’s hard to imagine how a person could make a more obviously wrong turn, except if they made the same one but with daylight.

They went from a place that’s basically Kansas to, like, Switzerland. They gained four thousand feet in elevation when they should have had no perceptible elevation change on the entire drive.