Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1357152699196792834?s=20

Woah, Matt Duss! This is huge for Yemen. Saudis must be sweating.

Biden's put in a ton of Warren people for finance/consumer protection, and a lot of the Bernie people are showing up in labor/state.

I think Biden is doing well enough in this early part to work to solidify or throw Bernie’s side a bone. Of course it’s only been like 2 weeks. I feel somewhat optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The United States' own intelligence assessment has downgraded it to a "Flawed Democracy"

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/537204-us-score-falls-in-economists-2020-democracy-index

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I'm talking about post-secondary too.

In what way are U.S. post-secondary schools PTSD factories that destroy most people who go through them? Who does non-PTSD education? Because the U.S. ranks #1 in the world in outcomes and satisfaction from college and post-grad education.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Gatts posted:

I think Biden is doing well enough in this early part to work to solidify or throw Bernie’s side a bone. Of course it’s only been like 2 weeks. I feel somewhat optimistic.
Now it becomes clear why Bernie was quick to concede this time. I can’t imagine Hilary ever having done these things.
I would really like to know how Biden suddenly decided to make this left turn in his administration. Was this something he said he’d do all along or what?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They gained seats in the house, gained seats in state legislatures, and were 65,000 votes away from the presidency in an election where 158,000,000 people voted.

I have lived through many predictions of GOP self destruction, and every time they have won future elections by being even worse than they were before.

Same, I remember back in 2008 when the Republican Party was completely routed, at least at the federal level even worse than the Democratic Party was in 2016.

The Republican Party will endure, cultural/class ingroup solidarity is everything to these people. That's why they didn't make much of a stink when Trump briefly wanted to buy controlling stakes in companies saved in the first stimulus package. The GOP doesn't have ideals, they have ingroup signaling memes.

Kraftwerk posted:

Now it becomes clear why Bernie was quick to concede this time. I can’t imagine Hilary ever having done these things.
I would really like to know how Biden suddenly decided to make this left turn in his administration. Was this something he said he’d do all along or what?

If it was something he'd do all along, pissing us off here on the Left certainly helped make him look moderate to the normies. The Right would always and forever screech about his being Communist no matter what he did, but if we hate him he musn't be that bad, right?

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes. He's doing a lot of what he said and being who he said he would be, which is kind of a placeholder and avatar.

the biden presidency is WAY different from what I was expecting, at least so far.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

skylined! posted:

Take solace in the fact that gaetz are poo poo today.

https://twitter.com/luketball/status/1357072554691805187?s=21

I wonder if the vote being that far in favor of Cheney is what wakes up the rest of the GOP that they don’t have to cower to trumps rhetoric anymore?

Also, did it make Gaetz and Jordan sweat a little to see they couldn’t whisper about the gestapo and have people quake in fear?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

I think winning the house and senate really allowed him to. He’s been suggested for and ran for President so many times maybe at this stage he wants to do the right thing and leave a better legacy than something like the crime bill or supporting segregated bussing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

He did say he'd do most of this stuff. People are just surprised he's doing it. E.g. he promised to be the "most pro-union president ever".

Also, and this is really key, he's not running any more. This is the apex of the thing. If he hid (whatever) this long, now what's done is done. He's the President, he got the Thing. If it had turned out he hated Delaware this whole time, for example, he could just say that now.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

The American education system does not function as adequate representation for the entire concept of education.

There is no "American education system" you putz. State to state, district to district you get massive absurd variety.

But by all means go off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, I'm both surprised and glad to be wrong and to see the GOP Trumpist Wing eat a little poo poo on that party vote.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Yeah all those teachers from "inspirational" (read: dystopian) stories where they have to get a second or third job in order to provide the basic needs for educating their classes are not the people who get any real say in the overall structure of the system, it seems kind of absurd to me to even act like they have any real power in the systemic issues of American education at all.

And no obviously test scores are irrelevant and fake, I'm more talking about all those times that everyone you know has woken up in a cold sweat only to realize that they've been done school for years and are not actually failing or forgetting some ridiculous poo poo that they've been told a thousand times will ruin their lives if they don't do it right. It feels like a pretty privileged position that a lot of people are coming from here, I honestly didn't expect to get much pushback for saying that the American education system is a broken harmful nightmare. It doesn't matter how many of the people in it are trying to do a good job if the job they're doing is in a broken institution.

A lot of vague nothing with a not really explained "you are privliged!!!" cherry on top. Hot loving stuff mate.
Also being a somethingawful poster, you are probably like 40 years old and talking about something in your rear view mirror upwards of 20 years ago lol.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just really weird how that Jim Jordan tweet that said "don't defund cops, defund teachers instead" somehow got people onto a multi-page argument saying "actually American education sucks, he's right"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I present Illinois' 4th Congressional district:

That one definitely looks like it was generated by a computer using the hard-core gently caress minorities setting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Just really weird how that Jim Jordan tweet that said "don't defund cops, defund teachers instead" somehow got people onto a multi-page argument saying "actually American education sucks, he's right"

At least it's not the "drunk driving is good actually" derail again. :sigh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeeplyConcerned posted:

That one definitely looks like it was generated by a computer using the hard-core gently caress minorities setting

And yet, as posted earlier, that district is held by a Latino labor activist.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It's specifically a Hispanic majority district to ensure equal representation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Education has a lot of issues in America, but it's maddening to see people with one breath do a little dance about how much they hate charter schools without actually knowing what a loving charter school is only to spout at the same horseshit that gets charter schools made.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Does that mean it was packed instead of cracked?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skylined! posted:

That's what Gaetz sounds like? loving florida surfer brah.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They gained seats in the house, gained seats in state legislatures, and were 65,000 votes away from the presidency in an election where 158,000,000 people voted.

I have lived through many predictions of GOP self destruction, and every time they have won future elections by being even worse than they were before.

2020 is not the only Trump election. Republicans had 54 senators and 247 representatives before Trump.

The post I quoted was claiming that Republicans are successful because they turn out their base and swing voters don't exist, after two successive elections where the Republicans lost every branch of elected government due in part to former Republican voters changing parties.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

eggyolk posted:

Does that mean it was packed instead of cracked?

Packed on purpose because of a court case.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

It's funny that our congressional districts are so gerrymandered that they have to counter-gerrymander to get some minority representation.

I can't imagine anything more American.

Making districts fairly and apolitically would just be too easy, I reckon.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It's funny that our congressional districts are so gerrymandered that they have to counter-gerrymander to get some minority representation.

People with common political interests don't necessarily share the same geographical area. Fair representation can necessitate strangely shaped districts.

Districting can also be used to suppress minority representation.

The shape of the district has no bearing whatsoever on the demographic fairness of the district.

In conclusion, congressional redistricting is a land of contrasts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

It's actually illegal under the VRA IIRC to *not* have majority-minority districts, so this is actually somewhat difficult. I'm sure someone else knows the specifics.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Pick posted:

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1357152699196792834?s=20

Woah, Matt Duss! This is huge for Yemen. Saudis must be sweating.

Biden's put in a ton of Warren people for finance/consumer protection, and a lot of the Bernie people are showing up in labor/state.

drat :golfclap: Biden keeps doing good things.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

It's actually really, really hard and fivethirtyeight did a big thing on it back when we thought the SC might rule gerrymandering illegal (hah!)

https://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/the-gerrymandering-project/#main

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

People with common political interests don't necessarily share the same geographical area. Fair representation can necessitate strangely shaped districts.

Districting can also be used to suppress minority representation.

The shape of the district has no bearing whatsoever on the demographic fairness of the district.

In conclusion, congressional redistricting is a land of contrasts.

Oh totally. We aren’t disagreeing at all.

It’s just a funny concept that the solution to whitewashed gerrymandered districts is to gerrymander another district to create representation when the goal should be fair districting in the first loving place.

Charleston (SC-1) is super fun because they’ve surgically cut the poorest and blackest areas out of Charleston county and lumped them into SC-6 (Clyburn’s safe district in the ‘corridor of shame), while narrowly slicing the whitest bumfuck areas and suburbs into SC-1, which still remains somewhat competitive for Dems like Cunningham.

Without it, 1 and 6 would almost always be held by Dems.

———————

Also to the others I didn’t mean to imply it’s super easy to make fair districts—I misspoke there. More that the tortured back and forth of gerrymander and counter-gerrymander is insane in purpose and overwrought solution when it should be reworked top down.

It’ll never happen though.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How big of a coward do you have to be to vote 'present' on a secret ballot?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

That name is Kevin McCarthy.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cheney was too polite to vote yes or no :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was some traditional thing like "well, as leader, I'm not supposed to take a position on this either way."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

teacher_man posted:

the biden presidency is WAY different from what I was expecting, at least so far.

It's suspicious as hell, is what it is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

It's suspicious as hell, is what it is.

In what way is it suspicious?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TulliusCicero posted:

A "cold sweat?"...From K-12 PTSD? Are you okay?

Do you know what a thoroughly hostile school environment can do to people? Like all the suicides? Children are subjected to environments that make WWI trench veterans double take. (and hell, at least they knew there were people on the same side)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kraftwerk posted:

I think part of it is the stuff that happened between his nomination and inauguration, especially post-election. Some of the poo poo the Republicans came at him with was truly vile (Hunter Biden stuff in particular) and I think the very fact he's well-known as a guy who you can meet in the middle and work out some bipartisan stuff with has actually helped him see that the Republicans are truly off the rails as well. Biden does not have a reputation as either a radical or a hardliner, so the fact the GOP is treating him as if he was Lenin himself has probably hardened any suspicions he had about their intentions.

Other possible factors is that (while he might not be willing to go as far as leftists like us believe necessary) he does appreciate that the US and the world are facing some pretty loving hefty crises that need some serious action to deal with, and/or that he's had some serious talks with the Progressive wing of the party and either been convinced they have good ideas or been convinced the Progressive wing needs more than just token concessions (Or both).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, if he's known as a guy who'll meet you in the middle and the GOP is completely unwilling to negotiate, that leaves him negotiating with the Progressives instead, perhaps.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skylined! posted:

Holy poo poo that is not what I thought he would sound like...I guess I’ve never ever heard this guy talk before

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's interesting to think about if going after him on such a personal level and the propaganda surrounding it made Biden narrow his eyes and let his heart be hardened. It must be a bit of a shock to work with people for decades and then see them without skipping a beat campaign against you like you're literally Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How did Bernie become a chair today? Did the organizing bill go through?