Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dabir posted:

kids are idiots and like trash

Hey man, Ubisoft wouldn't even be here without them selling [Noun]z games during the gba to 3ds :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Has anyone played Dynasty Warriors 8: The Definitive Edition on the Switch? How does it compare to the PC/PS4 in terms of performance/enemy numbers?

I have it already on the PC as I nabbed the base game for cheap (20 bucks) but now that i'm reliving the glory from my PS3 days, I'm missing much of the DLC.

That's when I found out about this definitive ediiton for 40 bucks. The DLC I'll want to get will more than make up the difference between the discounted price on the PC and the full Switch price. The weapons I want, the extra stages, etc, will more than bring the cost above the $39.99 of the Switch version. And yeah I could wait for a discount again!

Now I know the PC port isn't popular but other than the controller being a little wonky, I think it runs wonderfully. Constant framerate, bunches of enemies--much more than the PS3--easy to alt-tab in and out of, amazingly fast load times.

So, on the basis of getting the DLC, and having the game to play on the toilet/in bed/outside of the house (where??), it's mighty tempting to get the Definitive Edition.

So, how well is it regarding enemy pop-in and load times? Does it have a steady framerate?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dabir posted:

kids are idiots and like trash

Nice to hear you're loved by your kids

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t know poo poo about American colleges

god drat it prof :eng99:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

What's the new thread title refer to?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm having a great time with my Nintendo switch in a public hospital psyche ward making friends playing Mario kart. As an update the dude got moved to a completely different ward after that. Actual quote is somewhere in my post history from around last weekend I think?

It's gauche to empty quote your own posts I know sorry guys

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Im in a psyche ward and I found another dude with Mario kart, traded friend codes and he kicked my rear end a lot and I finally beat him once and he flipped out and they took both our switches away. I know technically it's not very 'lol' to have mental illness but I still can't believe I just saw a grown man get valium shot into his rear end because he lost at Mario kart

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a switch lite that gamestop sent me by accident when i ordered a 3DS. i couldn't get customer service to respond so i ended up having to do a chargeback

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish I could get a valium shot just for losing at Mario kart

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone play this?

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/the-warlock-of-firetop-mountain-goblin-scourge-edition

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's bad even at that price.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm having a great time with my Nintendo switch in a public hospital psyche ward making friends playing Mario kart. As an update the dude got moved to a completely different ward after that. Actual quote is somewhere in my post history from around last weekend I think?

It's gauche to empty quote your own posts I know sorry guys

Did you get your switch back?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anybody know if the Star Ocean remaster is worth getting?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

thats the worst name for anything I've ever seen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Postman posted:

Anybody know if the Star Ocean remaster is worth getting?
It’s just Star Ocean. An early PS1 action RPG. I guess lots of people like it but for me it has too much of that old bullshit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nice to hear you're loved by your kids

bold of you to assume I've hosed

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

LionArcher posted:

All good. I'll also say 2020-2021 has not been good for anyones general mood disposition.

And agreed. can we freaking get those new games Nintendo? It would make this slow rear end winter be so much easier, even if you're just announcing Zelda poo poo for the summer.

Bravely Default 2 comes out in three weeks! The Japanese site has some of the various jobs listed and a bunch of other details but it’s kind of cumbersome to navigate.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

b_d posted:

update: i had to do the fishing mini game and get a specific fish for the bear.

Aha yep, I was looking at that map going "Wait, I remember getting past the bear really early" and I figured you might not have done the fishing game. I did as much of it as I could because there's an achievement for catching one of every kind of fish (which doesn't take as long as you might think).

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s just Star Ocean. An early PS1 action RPG. I guess lots of people like it but for me it has too much of that old bullshit.

Oh wow, I had no clue First Departure was available on Switch. The first Star Ocean game isn't an early PS1 game though, it's a Super Famicom game, though First Departure was a remake that made it more similar to Second Story, which was an early PS1 game.

Anyway it's a pretty solid game, I wouldn't say it's amazing or anything but it's got a lot of recruitable characters (and many of them are mutually exclusive) and a decent enough story and the combat isn't bad. The item creation system is great though, and capable of really breaking the game if you invest in it enough.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Star Ocean 3 was the one with the stupid mine cart maze right? That's about as far as i got on generic fantasy planet myself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Shame Boy posted:

Star Ocean 3 was the one with the stupid mine cart maze right? That's about as far as i got on generic fantasy planet myself.
Yeah, and I completely forgot about that and then did it again a few months ago. Holy poo poo what a thing to just throw at the player with no warning.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

It would be somewhere between ok and not great if it didn't have long loading times. It does and is worse for it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MechaSeinfeld posted:

thats the worst name for anything I've ever seen.

"Fenyx"

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
You may have a nice house, a loving family and a well paying job but do you have complete no intro romsets from all the major 90s consoles :smug:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My impression of SO1 from having played through it a couple times around when the translation patch for the snes version first came out is that it's a decent JRPG with a lot of easily missable stuff ranging from little side things to optional recruitable party members to massive chunks of character backstory. Also I think there are quite a few point-of-no-return moments. There's a good game in there but it's pretty obtuse in a lot of places.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Morter posted:

Has anyone played Dynasty Warriors 8: The Definitive Edition on the Switch? How does it compare to the PC/PS4 in terms of performance/enemy numbers?

I have it already on the PC as I nabbed the base game for cheap (20 bucks) but now that i'm reliving the glory from my PS3 days, I'm missing much of the DLC.

That's when I found out about this definitive ediiton for 40 bucks. The DLC I'll want to get will more than make up the difference between the discounted price on the PC and the full Switch price. The weapons I want, the extra stages, etc, will more than bring the cost above the $39.99 of the Switch version. And yeah I could wait for a discount again!

Now I know the PC port isn't popular but other than the controller being a little wonky, I think it runs wonderfully. Constant framerate, bunches of enemies--much more than the PS3--easy to alt-tab in and out of, amazingly fast load times.

So, on the basis of getting the DLC, and having the game to play on the toilet/in bed/outside of the house (where??), it's mighty tempting to get the Definitive Edition.

So, how well is it regarding enemy pop-in and load times? Does it have a steady framerate?

I am curious about this too. Dynasty warriors is great.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I wanted the switch port of Star Ocean 1 but then I heard that it has some huge spikes in difficulty that wasn't on the psp version and now I'm like, no thanks.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

After much deliberation and meditation I have decided that my next switch game will be Doom Eternal. Is there any chance that this thing will go on sale in say, the next month?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kart Barfunkel posted:

After much deliberation and meditation I have decided that my next switch game will be Doom Eternal. Is there any chance that this thing will go on sale in say, the next month?

No way, it just came out for the Switch less than two months ago, I don’t see them putting it on sale that quickly, especially with no event coming. I bet it gets some sort of sale in June maybe, but even then it’s still probs it gonna be $30-40

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I wish I could get a valium shot just for losing at Mario kart

I take Valium when I play Mario Kart to win.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I beat Dragon Quest Builders 2 today. It was pretty good. Overall I still like the first one better. This one has some good QOL improvements from the first, and some neater things to build, but I still like the first one's story and gameplay better. The final boss is especially better in the first game. While I appreciate that the second one is going for "The power of friendship!" for its finale, I still prefer the more challenging and interesting final boss that makes actual use of the games mechanics from the first, rather than the scripted fight that's completely disconnected from the entire rest of the game from the second. I'm also annoyed I spent a long time making a bunch of food before the final boss fight, because I thought I'd need a bunch of healing items, when the penultimate boss was an easy joke and it seems like you can't lose the final boss fight (well, I assume you probably can if you don't follow the script, but other than that).

I'm not sure how much of a postgame this has. The first one didn't really have a postgame, because it didn't really need one, and the "free build" mode was separate from the main game, just you had to do certain challenges to unlock more stuff you could build there (I never did manage to complete the "fight the final boss naked" challenge). But since this one has a mini medal system and other goals to complete on the IoA, there might be more to do. I did notice the final mini medal prizes were the Liquid Metal Armor/Shield/Sword, which is weird to me. I'm kind of wondering if they're just to show off because I can't imagine there's any optional superbosses or further enemies to actually use this stuff on (aside from the random mobs attacking your towns). But I guess I'll see.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fun Times! posted:

Most people start by playing 3v3 but you should really play 1v1 to get more time with the ball, and add in some 2v2 to practice passing.

This was excellent advice. Thank you.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pretty good posted:

My impression of SO1 from having played through it a couple times around when the translation patch for the snes version first came out is that it's a decent JRPG with a lot of easily missable stuff ranging from little side things to optional recruitable party members to massive chunks of character backstory. Also I think there are quite a few point-of-no-return moments. There's a good game in there but it's pretty obtuse in a lot of places.

So I booted up the SNES translation patch a few days ago after rearranging my setup and yeah... I wish it gave me an explanation or two. The game crashed in the middle of the long sequence leading to the time gate and I didn't feel like redoing all of that so I figured I'd look into the other versions. Sounds like there are better JRPGs I can check out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/Mevans2703/status/1357076389279764482?s=19

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pfft, I can see that on DeviantArt.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Leaked concept footage from an upcoming Super Nintendo World walk-around character performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcq30ywIKlc&t=33s

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

LionArcher posted:

She couldn't wait to buy a Cyber truck because it's a good "clean" hauler for horses she doesn't currently own but will buy. She's against UBI because "how will we pay for it?" but her parents paid for her entire college education, including an ivy school. She also loved to talk about how she worked hard to be actively anti-racist, but because of insider info she overbid for a house beating out a POC family because she was worried she wouldn't find a house in the timeline she wanted and she was "tired" of living at her parents very large house during the pandemic. Basically, she's the most progressive person in theory as long as it suits her. So yeah, I'm all set over here.

Thanks for sharing the story of your girlfriend who sounds like an entitled brat.

So I played FE:3H(The fights are good but the anime parts are slow paced and boring)
Mario Kart, which is really good in short spurts
Odyssey which is also good.
BOTW, which is boring
FE Warriors: It's ok
Smash: Best game, feels like it's made for adult, actually challenging.
MM2: it's barely playable on a pro controller, need an SNES controller to play platformer. Also the levels are Kaizo bullshit who cares.

All in all, I think the 'Mario' branded games are the most fun. Thinking about getting the Tennis game.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

LionArcher posted:

She couldn't wait to buy a Cyber truck because it's a good "clean" hauler for horses she doesn't currently own but will buy. She's against UBI because "how will we pay for it?" but her parents paid for her entire college education, including an ivy school. She also loved to talk about how she worked hard to be actively anti-racist, but because of insider info she overbid for a house beating out a POC family because she was worried she wouldn't find a house in the timeline she wanted and she was "tired" of living at her parents very large house during the pandemic. Basically, she's the most progressive person in theory as long as it suits her. So yeah, I'm all set over here.

And most relevant to this thread...

She didn't like video games.

Can we fit all of this in the next thread title?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo Switch: She didn’t like video games

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn "beat" Mario Odyssey and it was the greatest Mario game i've played in a long time. Nostalgia hitting in all the right spots but still staying new. I need to go back now and get all the things I missed plus it looks like beating it adds even more challenges to the worlds. So much replay value. What a masterpiece.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Vintersorg posted:

Goddamn "beat" Mario Odyssey and it was the greatest Mario game i've played in a long time. Nostalgia hitting in all the right spots but still staying new. I need to go back now and get all the things I missed plus it looks like beating it adds even more challenges to the worlds. So much replay value. What a masterpiece.

You're like 1/3 through in terms of content lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

250 moons unlocks the dark side of the moon which has a hard mode boss rush and several difficult platforming challenges. 500 moons unlocks darker side of the moon which has the hardest platforming challenge in the game. It’s a marathon course through several difficult elements and if you die you start at the beginning.

There are 999 moons total but of that only 800ish are actually obtained in the worlds. The rest are bought at the store by grinding coins which gets old fast.

My recommendation? Replay through each world on your own with no guide and see how many moons you can get with your own skills. When you hit a wall, move on to the next world. You should be able to get to 500 on your own, then go for the mega hard challenge on darker side of the moon. If you can beat that and wanna go the distance, get out a guide and go for it. Just know that grinding coins is a pain in the rear end but there’s a place in Bowsers castle that makes it somewhat tolerable.