Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm not just a member... I'm the president

I'm the guy turning into a tree just inside the hole in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

I was definitely on the "DS2 is underrated" hype train until Blue Smelter run / Sir Alonne run / Frozen Reindeer run as well. Honestly, what were they thinking. At least with the Gank Squad it was possible to just run straight to them.

jusion fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 3, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jusion posted:

I was definitely on the "DS2 is underrated" hype train until Blue Smelter run / Sir Alonne run / Frozen Reindeer run as well. Honestly, what were they thinking.

The area leading into Sir Alonne isn't great, but Alonne himself is really good.

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The area leading into Sir Alonne isn't great, but Alonne himself is really good.

Yeah, he was fun and the run is the least objectionable out of the three, but still: how does the same team that gives us the awesome rest of Crown of the Old Iron King and Fume Knight give us those pointless filler rooms?

jusion fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 3, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Reindeer Fuckland wasn't a problem for me after I got a feel for the area but I still can't handle the Tiger Tagteam. Even bringing Vengarl along to distract one doesn't help.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jusion posted:

Yeah, he was fun and the run is the least objectionable out of the three, but still: how does the same team that gives us the awesome rest of Crown of the Old Iron King and Fume Knight give us those pointless fillter rooms?

It's extra hosed up because those are the co-op areas, which allow you to bring people who don't own the DLC along. Imagine thinking that the Frozen Outskirts are a good thing to show people who don't own the DLC.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Draga posted:

Reindeer Fuckland wasn't a problem for me after I got a feel for the area but I still can't handle the Tiger Tagteam. Even bringing Vengarl along to distract one doesn't help.

Honestly I think you need at least one other human for this fight to engage one of the tigers. Easier said than done of course, I guess you could try with 3 NPCs.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Draga posted:

I found that summoning all the available NPCs provides enough of a distraction that you mostly only have to deal with one of the tigers at a time as long as you stay alert. It does greatly boost their health, but overall it makes the fight a lot more manageable.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I get that a boss fight with two tigers instead of one is kind of lazy, but I've always really enjoyed the double tiger fight.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

double tiger is the only boss fight out of all 3 games, bloodborne, and sekiro that I've never beaten. just lower me into the vats to become gamer fuel :negative:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Once I found out which landmarks to use to get to the arena, the tigers went down pretty easily with the NPCs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sir alonne was my kryptonite. I died fifty or so time before I finally barely eked out a win. I just couldn't for the life of me judge the distance on his blade. Whomever managed to get him to commit seppuku get massive kudos from me. Other than that, fine knight and regular smelter are the only bosses that really gave me trouble in ds2. I've never seen alandra summon a velstatdt clone though so that probably helped a lot in that fight.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Just started this yesterday. I heard the cestus was cool and have been enjoying stun locking the basic enemies with it, though for the only boss I have beat so far I found the damage to be underpowered and switched to 2-handed greatsword.
Trying to decide which one to put titanite shards into (bearing in mind also that upgrading the 2 cestus is twice as expensive as the sword)

Also what's this powerstancing that I have been hearing so much about?

I ended up looking at too many wiki pages and guides about DS1 on off-times when not playing the game, and it killed some of the mystery of the game so maybe I'll try to refrain more from doing that this time and ask questions here instead.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Item Getter posted:

Just started this yesterday. I heard the cestus was cool and have been enjoying stun locking the basic enemies with it, though for the only boss I have beat so far I found the damage to be underpowered and switched to 2-handed greatsword.
Trying to decide which one to put titanite shards into (bearing in mind also that upgrading the 2 cestus is twice as expensive as the sword)

Also what's this powerstancing that I have been hearing so much about?

I ended up looking at too many wiki pages and guides about DS1 on off-times when not playing the game, and it killed some of the mystery of the game so maybe I'll try to refrain more from doing that this time and ask questions here instead.

Powerstancing gets you a better moveset with compatible weapons if you have at least 1.5x the strength and dex requirements (rounded down) to equip them. Hold down triangle/Y to activate it, if you don't two-hand your left hand weapon you're powerstancing. For dual caestus you get a 1-2 punch combo on L1 with powerstance which I found super useful. I'll admit you're right about the expense of upgrading two weapons at once, but you get so many souls and upgrade materials in this game that in the long run it's not a huge issue.

Also while there were a few bosses I switched weapons for (because your range with caestuses is rear end) I beat the rest with them.

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 13, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Beat Alonne for the first time, man gently caress that guy and his stupid gauntlet of lovely minions you have to fight thru to get attempts in.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Double Plus Undead posted:

Powerstancing gets you a better moveset with compatible weapons if you have at least 1.5x the strength and dex requirements (rounded down) to equip them. Hold down triangle/Y to activate it, if you don't two-hand your left hand weapon you're powerstancing. For dual caestus you get a 1-2 punch combo on L1 with powerstance which I found super useful. I'll admit you're right about the expense of upgrading two weapons at once, but you get so many souls and upgrade materials in this game that in the long run it's not a huge issue.

Also while there were a few bosses I switched weapons for (because your range with caestuses is rear end) I beat the rest with them.

Thanks, liking the powerstanced cestus so far

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It's still small but two handing the cestus gets you a bit more range too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Cestus also benefits a lot from the Stone Ring. Ring of Blades too, but that goes without saying.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The problem I had with the Cestus early game is high defense enemies. Due to the Cestus hitting rapidly for a small amount of damage per hit, enemies with high defense can severely cripple your damage. Of course, things that adds set amount of damage like Ring of Blades also benefits the Cestus more than most other weapons.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

World War Mammories posted:

double tiger is the only boss fight out of all 3 games, bloodborne, and sekiro that I've never beaten. just lower me into the vats to become gamer fuel :negative:

Man, even over the dragon in Dark Souls 3?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Man, even over the dragon in Dark Souls 3?

yeah, you don't have to run through the entire loving frozen outskirts to get to midir

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Plus if you're just sick of Midir you can stick a pestilent mist in 'im and he's done. There's no similar level of One Weird Trick available for the Kitty Klub.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's probably been said many times before, but it doesn't really make any sense how the part of the windmill in Earthen Peak that you're supposed to burn is the only part that looks like it's made out of non-flammable stone/metal (?) and not wood.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Item Getter posted:

It's probably been said many times before, but it doesn't really make any sense how the part of the windmill in Earthen Peak that you're supposed to burn is the only part that looks like it's made out of non-flammable stone/metal (?) and not wood.

If you think that part of Earthen Peak doesn't make sense, then boy

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Drakyn posted:

Plus if you're just sick of Midir you can stick a pestilent mist in 'im and he's done. There's no similar level of One Weird Trick available for the Kitty Klub.

The One Weird Trick is to summon all three NPCs, preferably if you're running heals to keep their health up during the trek.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
power fisting cestus is cool, but it's no power fisting your own fists with the vanquisher ring.

you can cheese an invader near the rat place down the big well in majula to get the proofs you need or just use an item editor to get it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm not just a member... I'm the president

People finally like this game?!?! The best dark souls ever released... drat.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
any tips for the three graverobbers in Sunken city DLC? it seems like a huge uphill battle to do solo, and I do hardly any damage at this point (I'm a Hexer). using the npc summons and it still felt far from enough help.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Reality Protester posted:

any tips for the three graverobbers in Sunken city DLC? it seems like a huge uphill battle to do solo, and I do hardly any damage at this point (I'm a Hexer). using the npc summons and it still felt far from enough help.

Don't do that, you'll inflate their HP and the summons aren't very good.

The fight is an endurance test of how long you can kite. Lead Havel and Alva around getting in hits on the archer while you can, and dropping into the pits to break line of sight. Once the archer is down, just keep kiting and chipping away at whoever presents an opening.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The summons can actually put in work, but the problem is that they're unreliable because of RNG factors. You don't have to babysit them, per se, but you do have to at the bare minimum prevent them from being cornered in the first five seconds of the fight when the gank squad rushes in, which is usually easier said than done.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There's a cheese spot for that fight that trivializes it. There's a corner of the room with 3 stalagmites (the kind that stand up), you walk around the outside of those and there's just enough room between the stalagmites and the edge of the path for you to stand. The gank squad will run up to the stalagmites but don't know to path around it, and importantly don't know that you can hit them through the stalagmites. So they'll just stand there while you kill them 1 by 1.

But I think the fight is cool and worth doing without cheesing at least once.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Reality Protester posted:

I used the NPC phantoms to distract Havel and the other sword guy, and went and wailed on the archer. When the archer was dead I went for backstabbing the enemy that was distracted by fighting the phantom. Lots of running back and forth, but as long as you're not fighting two of the Gank Squad at once, it's doable.

You can check my posts, and see where I got help with the Gank Squad last year.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paracelsus posted:

The One Weird Trick is to summon all three NPCs, preferably if you're running heals to keep their health up during the trek.

It depends on how comfortable you are with the 2 cats solo, honestly. You can summon all 3 NPCs and run downhill until you hit the ice wall, then keep the ice wall on your right and follow it to the ravine that leads to Lud and Zallen, but you won't be able to run full tilt without them falling behind. You'll have to stop every time the blizzard picks up and wait to deal with the horse-deer fuckers that spawn, and it might take a few runs until you despawn a some of them before it stops taking foreverrrr. Or do run full tilt and let the NPCs act as bait for the horse-deer, and de-summon them when you get to the boss fog. Soloing Lud and Zallen does have the advantage of the 2nd one taking longer to jump down because the trigger is a % of the 1st one's HP, and it jumps down sooner depending on how many phantoms you have with you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
What I found was that having all three made the deer a lot easier to deal with, so it was just a matter of patience.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Eleum Loyce sure does love it's 4+ enemy encounters huh. This is kinda miserable. and I'm not even at Frigid Outskirts yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's worth it for the final boss fight, Peak souls right there

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm reinstalling now, I'm down to gently caress around in Drangleic again

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hell yeah I'd get down with that, reinstalling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Reinstalling as well. I sort of want to play on Xbox because I never have but I'm going with PC.