Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mobby_6kl posted:

Note to self: don't jerk off in this shower

That would be perfect for LBJ's jumbo showerhead: https://www.businessinsider.com/lbjs-white-house-shower-had-nozzles-aimed-at-his-privates-2015-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Dip Viscous posted:

On a table saw, the circular blade is spinning towards you. Pushing at the wrong angle (which is really easy to do when the wood is drooping off the table like that) can make the teeth of the blade snag and kick the wood back at you. Even if your fingers/hands don't get taken off, people have died just from having the chunk of wood rocketed into their sternum at speed.

Here's a good demonstration https://youtu.be/u7sRrC2Jpp4

Tablesaws are one of the few tools that genuinely scare me, and I've seen them take a couple fingat tips off in real life which is always fun.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbzbIGkPW-o

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Elviscat posted:

Tablesaws are one of the few tools that genuinely scare me, and I've seen them take a couple fingat tips off in real life which is always fun.

Hahaha holy poo poo at 2:45 he almost loses a finger while anticipating the kickback.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Strabo4 posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo at 2:45 he almost loses a finger while anticipating the kickback.

Hahahahahaha "it was right about there I realized I might need some new shorts." Mad props to this guy for possessing the rare ability of critical thinking and realizing the danger.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Elviscat posted:

:drat:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Elviscat posted:

At one point my sister decided she was going to be one of those hopeless DIY moms, destroying their homes piece by piece in an attempt to "upgrade" it. Rather than start basic with a drill and maybe a jigsaw, she wanted leap flying right out of the gates with a table-saw.

I argued with her for an hour that in no way should she start with a table saw, or even go near one, until she had done a decent amount of woodworking with hand tools and simpler power tools first. She pissed and moaned that I was just belittling her, and assuming she couldn't handle it because I thought she was "just a girl". Finally I said she was a loving idiot and would be dead within the year if she got a table saw, and showed her that video. As soon as she saw that kickback and the guys fingats almost get harvested, she went white as a sheet and decided then and there to swear off the table saw. I'm not why exactly she thought she could handle a table-saw with zero power tool experience. This is a person who has quite literally broken just about every electronic device put into their hands over their entire life, purely through mishandling and lack of care.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Every time you use a table saw, the first 30 seconds of using it should be you thinking of ways to complete the task without powering up the table saw.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I've got a fair bit of experience using bandsaws, scrollsaws, tabletop jigsaws, belt sanders and other large woodworking power tools but I still get a little antsy around tablesaws and most definitely around wood shapers. I'm convinced those machines are the hungriest for human flesh in the workshop, even more so than lathes.

This old boy is talking about how to be safe around a wood shaper and he seems like he's full of useful info especially when you see he's missing half a finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6yTHMBX54

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XSraHjt.gifv

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've got a fair bit of experience using bandsaws, scrollsaws, tabletop jigsaws, belt sanders and other large woodworking power tools but I still get a little antsy around tablesaws and most definitely around wood shapers. I'm convinced those machines are the hungriest for human flesh in the workshop, even more so than lathes.

This old boy is talking about how to be safe around a wood shaper and he seems like he's full of useful info especially when you see he's missing half a finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6yTHMBX54

Rebating? G-Cramps? Timber Springs?

loving christ, england.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

loving radical

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

All gas, no brakes!

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

gonadic io posted:

Thought of this thread today

I don’t think I’ve ever posted about my landlady’s husband. Who does small scale remodeling, has done a lot of work on the house, and has his workshop in the basement. His safety practices were non-existent. At one point he was adding a pergola on the second floor balcony, and would regularly climb onto the balcony railing to hammer something. One weekend i noticed an ambulance parked out front, and saw him sitting in the back, his head covered in blood, not sure what happened. Then there was the injury that put him into retirement. He was trying to hand hold something while cutting with a table saw and got his hand. He didn’t have his cellphone, and was lucky there was a cable guyot on the street who called 911, otherwise he might have bled out. It left him with some permanent nerve damage. About a week later our land lady’s daughter was in town helping clear out all of the tools in the basement.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Where I used to work, there was a table saw setup for cutting door sized bits of wood. The head of shop and his bro would not only cut small bits with it, they’d never use a pushrod. I relied on sexism, called it the “scary saw”, and refused to be near when they used it. I’d rather be seen as the wussy girl than the girl that got hit with a flying piece of wood.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

That is some professional truckfuckling

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

My dad was a cabinet maker for 50+ years and 25 years into his career, he was using a router when it it kicked the piece of wood and his push stick out and routed a path through the palm of his hand. Since that, he not only insisted on using push sticks for any kind of stationary wood cutting tool, but he also developed an EXTRAORDINARY hatred for knots in the wood he would use.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fat Loser posted:

My dad was a cabinet maker for 50+ years and 25 years into his career, he was using a router when it it kicked the piece of wood and his push stick out and routed a path through the palm of his hand. Since that, he not only insisted on using push sticks for any kind of stationary wood cutting tool, but he also developed an EXTRAORDINARY hatred for knots in the wood he would use.

Oh gently caress that that poo poo burrows in.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

never lift

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/6ZprK02.gifv

Woops

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Huffing solvents and smoking?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

WHAT!?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
HUFFING SOLVENTS AND SMOKING

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes. I've run my right pointer finger thru a router years ago. This really takes me back. It was a small bit, only took off about an 1/8th of material.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I was lucky enough to be taught power tool safety both by my dad and at school. I treat them like I would a venomous snake - you don't need to be afraid of it because if you don't do anything stupid you'll be just fine, but you definitely need to respect it and think about each and every move you make before you make it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The IRA is hardcore.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Don't miss out on the last bit in this video (starting around 13:35).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

gonadic io posted:

Thought of this thread today

Didn't this guy sever a finger too?

Anyone using a table saw, just do what Matthias Wandel does, his method is the best, using two long push sticks. Only very occasionally do I use a different style (John Heisz) if I need to hold it down in front better.

And if it doesn't got a riving knife, sell it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

At one point my sister decided she was going to be one of those hopeless DIY moms, destroying their homes piece by piece in an attempt to "upgrade" it. Rather than start basic with a drill and maybe a jigsaw, she wanted leap flying right out of the gates with a table-saw.

I argued with her for an hour that in no way should she start with a table saw, or even go near one, until she had done a decent amount of woodworking with hand tools and simpler power tools first. She pissed and moaned that I was just belittling her, and assuming she couldn't handle it because I thought she was "just a girl". Finally I said she was a loving idiot and would be dead within the year if she got a table saw, and showed her that video. As soon as she saw that kickback and the guys fingats almost get harvested, she went white as a sheet and decided then and there to swear off the table saw. I'm not why exactly she thought she could handle a table-saw with zero power tool experience. This is a person who has quite literally broken just about every electronic device put into their hands over their entire life, purely through mishandling and lack of care.

People gave that guy so much poo poo, but his video has really done a lot of good.

Also I've never had a kick back in my life. And I've ripped like 100 meters of fir/pine studs in a single day with mine (french cleats for my workshop, a lot of them), not all of them where nice and straight or without stresses. And they where 45 degree cuts on a right tilting table saw!

The reason is simple! RIVING KNIFE! Like I can't emphasize enough how effective it is and I've never needed to remove it except 2-3 times in 6 years, when I did a plunging cut from below which isn't normal or super safe.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
My grandfather lost a finger on a roundsaw building silos in Germany, apparently they "worked faster" without the safety equipment installed on the saw.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

boar guy posted:

i think dilaudid is what the nurse in Misery uses in the book to get the writer hooked. he describes waiting for his next dose as being feeling like the pillar of a dock at low tide, baking in the sun, waiting for the tide to come in

me, i like percoset :catdrugs:

They gave me dilaudid at the hospital the first time I ever had a kidney stone, and that exact passage is what came to mind when I was laying there high as gently caress. I didn't care because the tide was high, but I was still aware the stone was there, like the tip of broken pillar poking its head just barely out of the water.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Buller posted:

My grandfather lost a finger on a roundsaw building silos in Germany, apparently they "worked faster" without the safety equipment installed on the saw.

I have a friend who restored an 1887 german rip saw he found in the woods. It was factory requipped with a riving knife.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I think the safety equipment they pulled off were the screens.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sammus posted:

They gave me dilaudid at the hospital the first time I ever had a kidney stone, and that exact passage is what came to mind when I was laying there high as gently caress. I didn't care because the tide was high, but I was still aware the stone was there, like the tip of broken pillar poking its head just barely out of the water.

I got dilaudid when my gallbladder was in the process of exploding and it went from "if I died the pain would stop, let's do that" to "I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck" in the space of one deep breath.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Being a woodwork teacher in a highschool I get to use the table saw rather a lot and even with our sliding table panel saw I'm weary of it at all times. At my last school I managed to lauch a 3m long by 12mm square piece of timber out of the back of the saw into the door a few metres behind me. My boss came to check on me but cause I had kept using the saw he decided not to come in and check what had gone wrong but this was the sort of bloke who'd tuck his tie in his shirt chuck a pair of glasses on then use the saw as he didn't believe in push sticks. He was also the person who originally taught me how to use the saw but I then got taught properly with push sticks and a decent level of technique.

Being in a school where we have 200 kids in a year building the same project we prep a lot of timber but the majority of it is radiata pine which depending on the batch we get in can be a right pain to actual cut into useable lengths. A couple of years ago we recieved about 300m of poorly seasoned pine which didn't become fully apparent until we chucked it through the saw where even with a riving knife the timber would warp bend and twist in on itself as it when past the knife to the point that it would clamp on the blade. Only solution was to shut the saw off exract the timber and either give it a go from the other end of the board of cut off the section you'd cut so that you could rip timber to the correct size.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Power tool safety stuff.
Don't die.
https://www.powertoolinstitute.com/pti-pages/ed-safety-education.asp

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I tried using my table saw without the riving knife and all it did was launch a board into my stomach where it left a bruise that lasted about a month. I put it back on after that

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 4, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^
Did you mean without?

They need to make another staplerfahrer Klaus except for table saws / woodworking.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There was a resonance cascade scenario at NIST in Gaithersburg MD yesterday...

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2021/02/several-workers-exposed-to-radiation-at-gaithersburg-research-reactor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sammus posted:

I had a wicked bad case of salmonella which landed me in the ER. They gave me a tiny dose of dilaudid for the pain, and suddenly I transformed from someone who hadn't slept in a day and a half with stabbing sensations in his guts to someone who couldn't stop talking about how great he felt. I wasn't even tired anymore, it just smoothed over everything. Thank gently caress it was only an emergency measure.