Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh boy, is the Assad meme coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

paranoid randroid posted:

if im summoning my most molten core of takes, i think dore might be an op to discredit M4A because hes transparently a moron that blundered onto a good idea, whereas no one ever tries to refute, say, Cornel West being in favor of it, and now the discussion is all about this fuckin guy that nobody actually likes except to piss off the libs

the op is the constant reframing of the argument to be about the person and not the policy fyi. remember how bernie is a misogynist, and possibly antisemitic. would his M4A plan solve racism? didn't think so
:smuggo:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lib and let die posted:

this is my headcanon fyi

vox writer, infowars worker, daily show alum

The first two are factually accurate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cenotaph posted:

There are so many people in the comments of this that need to read Losurdo's critique of Arendt. Totalitarianism :qq:

Losurdo is basically the OG Taintrunner

He cured me of liberalism

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mark immune posted:

the op is the constant reframing of the argument to be about the person and not the policy fyi. remember how bernie is a misogynist, and possibly antisemitic. would his M4A plan solve racism? didn't think so
:smuggo:

speaking as an out and proud fsb asset, i for one

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

speaking as an out and proud fsb asset, i for one

thank u for your service

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
thank you working hard

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Holy poo poo. GBS still has the TRUMP! thread and it's going strong.

lol

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Losurdo is basically the OG Taintrunner

He cured me of liberalism

I started reading him because of the recommendation of Liberalism: a Counter History somewhere on here which might have been you, actually.

I'm reading Class Struggle: a Political and Philosophical History and it's very good.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

spacetoaster posted:

Holy poo poo. GBS still has the TRUMP! thread and it's going strong.

lol

The last page was still people talking about the diet coke button :psyduck:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Lib and let die posted:

Oh boy, is the Assad meme coming back?

if we're lucky

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

It hasn't even been 30 days and they're already reminiscing.

I find it really hard to imagine them rehabilitating Trump....but they did it with Bush. In what? 9 years?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the people reminiscing about Trump right now are going to get through the Biden years healthier and happier then anyone in this thread.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

assuming they don't die from COVID-21 or lack of access to healthcare or shelter

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hello we are not doing tara reade chat here

:allears:

Tara Reade makes it daddy Biden look bad so NO TALKING ABOUT HOW HE DID A RAPE!

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 06:06 on Feb 4, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let's be honest Trump was a very funny President and Biden is just going to make people alternate between depressed and furious

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

let's be honest Trump was a very funny President and Biden is just going to make people alternate between depressed and furious

Perché non entrambe???

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

The diet coke button owns

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Totalitarianism: building a workers' state capable of defeating a genocidal nazi invasion.

Not totalitarianism:

quote:

But let’s concentrate on the 1930s, the decade when we see Stalin’s terror unfold in the USSR. In the US, the headlines and stories in the local newspapers are in themselves revealing. “Big preparations for tonight’s lynching." Not a single detail should be neglected: “They fear that shots fired against the negro may miss its target and strike innocent spectators, including women carrying their children”; but if everyone sticks to the rules, “no one will be disappointed." Let’s look at other headlines: “the lynching was more or less carried out as advertised”; “the crowd applauded and laughed at the negro’s horrible death."1005 It’s correct to speak of terror, and not just in consideration of the effects that such a cruel, happily announced and advertised spectacle had on the black community. There’s more. It wasn’t just black men accused of “rape”―or in the majority cases consensual relations with a white woman―who were lynched. Much more minor offenses were enough to be sentenced to death. The Atlanta Constitution of July 11th, 1934, reported the execution of a 25 year old black man “accused of having written an ‘indecent and insulting’ letter to a young white woman in Hinds County”; in this case “the crowd of armed citizens” were satisfied at firing rounds of gunshots at the body of the unfortunate soul.1006 Moreover, besides striking the “guilty”, death, more or less inflicted in a sadistic way, also loomed over mere suspects. Let’s continue to examine the newspapers from that time and read the headlines: “Declared innocent by the jury, then lynched”; “Suspect hung from oak tree in Bastrop’s public square”; “The wrong man lynched."1007 Lastly, the violence isn’t limited to the culprit or the suspected culprit: it has happened that, before carrying out a man’s lynching, the cabin where his family lived was set on fire and completely burned.1008

In addition to blacks, the terror also strikes at whites who, in becoming excessively close to blacks, become traitors to their race. It’s what emerges in the title of an article in the Galveston Tribune on July 21st, 1934: “A white girl is put in prison and her black friend is lynched." The fact is that―an editorial in the Chicago Defender comments a few days later―a white woman can more freely pair-up with a dog than with a black man.1009 And if she doesn’t take that into account, the terroristic regime of white supremacy lashes out at her twice over: depriving her of her personal freedom and attacking her loved ones. Therefore, terror also strikes at citizens (blacks and whites) who don’t carry out any political activity, but are considered guilty for having a private life contrary to societal norms.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Now it becomes clear why Bernie was quick to concede this time. I can’t imagine Hilary ever having done these things.
I would really like to know how Biden suddenly decided to make this left turn in his administration. Was this something he said he’d do all along or what?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

my mood has taken a massive downturn since election night when I realized we were in an endless cycle

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1357170264488968192?s=20

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Still loving funny that Pete got Sec of Transportation and Stacey Abrams got nothing.

Lol that none of the Bernie is a white supremacist misogynist crowd have said anything about this glaring example of white male privilege (yes I know why).

Stacey Abrams heralded as turning Georgia Blue and getting Dems majority in the senate gets nothing but dude that was only the mayor of a small town gets a cabinet position lmao.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Tara Reade makes it daddy Biden look bad so NO TALKING ABKHT HOW HE DID A RAPE!

Greyjoy worked for the rapists campaign and when people correctly pointed out that he'd be a terrible mod they made him a mod anyway. SA has learned nothing after ousting lowtax

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

why the gently caress was this ghoul bernie's FP advisor lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Kaedric posted:

isn't this guy some lovely 'small business owner'/landlord

Coulda sworn I remember seein him arguing some dumb reactionary poo poo in the past but maybe it was a false memory

eh yeah, but i dont mind him. he does good pointing out corporate greed/corruption to an audience that otherwise might not be privy to. maybe thats succ to think that though but whatever. the fight for right to repair is very good anyway.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Feb 4, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Tara Reade makes it daddy Biden look bad so NO TALKING ABKHT HOW HE DID A RAPE!

reminder that we're top level now. no need to start poo poo with other forums, thanks

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

biden is very loving funny in his own rare way

Listen Jack, time was you'd, you'd have to crank your long car over the bridge from Scranton and get mixed up with the guys, boy I tell ya, these guys. Throwing a silver dollar in with the guys who don't care if they get a fistful of Fruity Mixers or Slim Creamies at the Pick n' Mix, man, that was living large. But you'd take your sack of Toss-a-Minute Scrabbles down to the lake and see how deep you could dip the automobile in. And and and and at that moment, fella, you know who's the Big Hat Charlie and who's the... who's the po-faced half-a-dime

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Oh Snapple! posted:

why the gently caress was this ghoul bernie's FP advisor lol

for a while there was talk of him being set apart from the herd

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/matt-duss-bernie-sanders-foreign-policy-blob/

quote:

“I give Matt an extraordinary amount of credit on Yemen,” says Representative Ro Khanna, who introduced the joint resolution in the House. “He’s the principal reason that Sanders took this huge risk in introducing the War Powers Resolution in the Senate and agreeing to [support] what we had introduced in the House.”

To the extent that Sanders is raising new ideas and challenging the interventionist consensus that has long dominated Washington, it makes sense that he’s relying on the advice of a relative outsider. The nation’s capital is infamously a town of straight-A students who hustled their way through the most elite schools and prestigious internships in pursuit of power. Duss took a more meandering path, playing in bands and working odd jobs for years before finishing college in his early 30s. He then spent the next decade influencing the public debate, mainly as a blogger, before finally emerging as a Senate staffer.

More than most policy-makers, Duss is a product of that left-leaning tradition. His ascension was in many ways made possible by the political earthquake of 2016—not just Trump’s election, but the defeat of Hillary Clinton, the enduring influence of Sanders, and the emergence of a new generation of progressives who have grown up amid endless wars. The open question is whether Duss and others like him are capable of taking on the foreign-policy world’s entrenched status quo.

as it turns out, Matt Duss, is suss

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 06:07 on Feb 4, 2021

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Duss!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
joe biden is loving senile, is what im saying

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Democrats are as united as they were under Andrew Jackson

when you absolutely know your political history and arent just making half assed assumptions around the idea that trump was a unique aberration

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

joe biden is loving senile, is what im saying

yeah but it's like, signal to noise.

7/10 times biden's gonna open his mouth and say some dumbass boilerplate neoliberal nonsense. that 3% is gonna be gold, but there isn't gonna be as much of it.

trump was an easy 9/10 times he'd open his mouth and reveal a portal to the chaos dimension.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Organ Fiend posted:

YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED DORE

*whipcrack*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

biden is very loving funny in his own rare way

Listen Jack, time was you'd, you'd have to crank your long car over the bridge from Scranton and get mixed up with the guys, boy I tell ya, these guys. Throwing a silver dollar in with the guys who don't care if they get a fistful of Fruity Mixers or Slim Creamies at the Pick n' Mix, man, that was living large. But you'd take your sack of Toss-a-Minute Scrabbles down to the lake and see how deep you could dip the automobile in. And and and and at that moment, fella, you know who's the Big Hat Charlie and who's the... who's the po-faced half-a-dime

He's funny but he's not going to be in the national conversation because he's not on twitter and he barely talks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

reminder that we're top level now. no need to start poo poo with other forums, thanks

awww:( I thought making fun of succdems was what we did in this thread. :smith:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

wait, is quetz not Sam Bee? whoever bought that av is a visionary

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He's funny but he's not going to be in the national conversation because he's not on twitter and he barely talks.

my point is hes a blithering idiot on par with trump and now we have to just all pretend grandpa is speaking sense because he doesnt have some dumb grievance about the 1995 oscars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The freedom understander has logged on

https://twitter.com/roguechimp99/status/1357182603405578242?s=20