Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

It's suspicious as hell, is what it is.

The way I figure it, all the people who falsely convinced me that Biden was going to collapse because he was a shambling dementia case were just as wrong about a lot of other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Byzantine posted:

It's suspicious as hell, is what it is.

would you like to elaborate

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Killer robot posted:

The way I figure it, all the people who falsely convinced me that Biden was going to collapse because he was a shambling dementia case were just as wrong about a lot of other things.
I think a lot of people worked against their own purposes with how hyperbolic they got with stuff like Biden losing his mind or being equal to Trump or really out there predictions like him dismantling social security.

Biden is exactly who I think he is which is still not really like a good thing despite moves that are materially good especially relatively to where he came from. But I think people exaggerated him to a point where he now looks better than he is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

I mean, if he's known as a guy who'll meet you in the middle and the GOP is completely unwilling to negotiate, that leaves him negotiating with the Progressives instead, perhaps.

Yeah I think this is a lot of it. Bernie and Biden are apparently genuine friends, and Biden is willing to meet halfway. Biden was always gonna do what the democratic party told him to and the Bernie wing won the messaging war in the primary and Biden's doesn't need a weathervane to know which way the wind blows.

Plus progressives care about things like the underassistant secretary of labor and most other people aren't even paying attention to that anyway.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

How did Bernie become a chair today? Did the organizing bill go through?

It did, earlier today, yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's interesting to think about if going after him on such a personal level and the propaganda surrounding it made Biden narrow his eyes and let his heart be hardened. It must be a bit of a shock to work with people for decades and then see them without skipping a beat campaign against you like you're literally Satan.

I think a few of them caught him flat-footed. He was really surprised by Graham (and even by Graham standards, so am I--I think that dude is in some real trouble, he is flashing a lot of weird signals). And no, not the sexuality thing--my guess would be middle eastern involvement.

Killer robot posted:

I think people were conflating Obama and Biden when they were put on the same ticket because they were different.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/benyt/status/1357172875552165888?s=20

Highly recommend reading this article for a great recap of the obama era stimulus and how it was hosed over by decorum and blue dogs.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was pretty much confirmed when he voted for reconciliation, but Manchin just officially confirmed that he is fine with the $1.9 trillion price tag and doesn't see any need to lower the cost or make any major changes.

He did also say that $15 an hour is too high of a minimum wage for West Virginia and he opposes that. But, he wouldn't say if it was dealbreaker.

https://twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1356970264987377669

WV Governor BIG JIM did another interview today where he reiterated his support for Biden's full stimulus package. I actually think that's the governor pushing back on their other Senator Shelley Moore Capito, who despite presenting herself as a "moderate" Republican was a sponsor on the $600b GOP mini-package. No chance Capito will budge though.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 4, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/benyt/status/1357172875552165888?s=20

Highly recommend reading this article for a great recap of the obama era stimulus and how it was hosed over by decorum and blue dogs.

Democrats in Array

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's interesting to think about if going after him on such a personal level and the propaganda surrounding it made Biden narrow his eyes and let his heart be hardened. It must be a bit of a shock to work with people for decades and then see them without skipping a beat campaign against you like you're literally Satan.

Been said before, but that Biden is old enough to remember when Republicans actually did respect Democrats is possibly a factor; he's not like modern Democrats that seem trained to stand with serene smiles and blank stares saying 'Aw shucks, they don't really mean it' while Republicans call them Hell's own commissar on every available channel.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think a lot of people worked against their own purposes with how hyperbolic they got with stuff like Biden losing his mind or being equal to Trump or really out there predictions like him dismantling social security.

Biden is exactly who I think he is which is still not really like a good thing despite moves that are materially good especially relatively to where he came from. But I think people exaggerated him to a point where he now looks better than he is.

On the one hand I think it is definitely 100% true that the hyperbole laden attacks definitely had some element of lowering expectations to the point that I was actually blown away during the general at how much better Biden actually is; but on the other hand here though it is 100% true that Biden is doing really good things, I think it can both be true that people went too far ham and Biden maybe might actually be a pretty good guy/president.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Pick posted:

In what way is it suspicious?

The same way that if somebody that punches you in the gut once a month instead walks up and hands you a ten dollar bill. Why's he suddenly being nice after literally fifty years of stomping people into the dirt?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Democrats in Array

D E M
O C R
A T S

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the one hand I think it is definitely 100% true that the hyperbole laden attacks definitely had some element of lowering expectations to the point that I was actually blown away during the general at how much better Biden actually is; but on the other hand here though it is 100% true that Biden is doing really good things, I think it can both be true that people went too far ham and Biden maybe might actually be a pretty good guy/president.

I remember getting probed for lightly pushing back on him being a senile secret republican rapist. No I'm not naming names I'm just a wee bit tired.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Pick posted:

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1357152699196792834?s=20

Woah, Matt Duss! This is huge for Yemen. Saudis must be sweating.

Biden's put in a ton of Warren people for finance/consumer protection, and a lot of the Bernie people are showing up in labor/state.

Woah, Matt Duss!

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1357170264488968192?s=20
https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1357174402497052673?s=20

Doesn't sound like he's going to be real great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

The same way that if somebody that punches you in the gut once a month instead walks up and hands you a ten dollar bill. Why's he suddenly being nice after literally fifty years of stomping people into the dirt?

I think that's a really weird way to talk to a woman about the guy who championed the Violence Against Women Act, which I consider one of the most important legislative actions in the last 50 years for a lot of reasons.

He did plenty of stuff I thought was good. I was in favor of him. He's continued doing things he said he would do while campaigning.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the best description I've heard of Biden's politics is that he calculates where the center of the party is and moves there. The party has moved to the left since the Obama era and Biden has moved right along with it.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

mllaneza posted:

And yet, as posted earlier, that district is held by a Latino labor activist.

Ah, well. Nevertheless!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pick posted:

I think that's a really weird way to talk to a woman about the guy who championed the Violence Against Women Act, which I consider one of the most important legislative actions in the last 50 years for a lot of reasons.

He did plenty of stuff I thought was good. I was in favor of him. He's continued doing things he said he would do while campaigning.

it's weird to imply byzantine was being sexist with that post

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Lemming posted:

Democrats in Array

:trumppop:

The whole Rittenhouse not being remanded thing is loving bonkers. Yeah, he's electronically tracked and had his bond paid, but he's hanging out with proud boys wearing a FREE AS gently caress shirt and actively ignoring the court's instructions. Notably he had his bond paid, he didn't pay it. Chuds who fancied him a meme mascot paid for his bond via a gofundme or whatever.

Cash bail is exceptionally stupid when you can solicit essentially limitless money from anonymous people who are symapthetic to you the world over. That the crime was especially notorious and brazen made the donations come in all the quicker.

It will be hilarious if pepe-avatars crowdfunding 2 million dollars of bail (for an obvious double murderer who straw purchased a gun and crossed state lines to play Punisher Jr) is the thing that starts chipping away at the cash bail system. I doubt it, but one can dream.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

This is just a loving black eye for no reason though. The Trump wing is now pissed at the party, McCarthy looks weak as gently caress and the GOP in shambles, and the Dems get a free delicious talking point for the next cycle that a good portion of the psycho GOP wanted to oust one of their only leaders that openly spoke out against a loving coup incited by the former unpopular President, RIGHT before his impeachment for said coup

just a loving tactical and strategic disaster for absolutely no gain. It's like walking into a rake and deciding you wanted to see if you step on it again, without it hitting you this time.Mitch is probably furious

:getin:
I could only dream of a beautiful situation like this three years ago, and I cannot emote my own schadenfreude enough over it. :kheldragar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mllaneza posted:

And yet, as posted earlier, that district is held by a Latino labor activist.

Yes, gerrymandering will concentrate a certain group of people into one district like this. That's the point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Killer robot posted:

It's weird. Looking back at videos of him from a year ago he really did make those claims seem semi-credible at the time. In hindsight it seems clear that he was just super rusty and needed.some practice stumping, but early in the campaign he was actually a mess.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Flopsy posted:

I remember getting probed for lightly pushing back on him being a senile secret republican rapist. No I'm not naming names I'm just a wee bit tired.

You don't believe Tara Reade?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Straight White Shark posted:

It's weird. Looking back at videos of him from a year ago he really did make those claims seem semi-credible at the time. In hindsight it seems clear that he was just super rusty and needed.some practice stumping, but early in the campaign he was actually a mess.

I always harken back to Obama's "57 states" thing. The dude was in his 40s and weird poo poo came out of his mouth from time to time because he was exhausted.

Campaigning as hard as you need to in order to be a frontrunner in a modern American election fucks you up, no matter what age you are

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
hello we are not doing tara reade chat here

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Who is this guy and why should I care about his screenshots of tweets (other than that he posted a screenshot of his own tweet :lol:)

fake edit: oh his other recent tweets include calling Navalny a nazi and colleges "just idpol factories", well that answers it!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Killer robot posted:

I mean, we all saw his eye explode on live TV

He has gotten a lot better since then somehow

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They gained seats in the house, gained seats in state legislatures, and were 65,000 votes away from the presidency in an election where 158,000,000 people voted.

I have lived through many predictions of GOP self destruction, and every time they have won future elections by being even worse than they were before.

This cannot be emphasized enough. The GOP increased their presidential vote number from 2016 to 2020, even after the embarassment that is Trump, and the disastrous covid response.

Sure the Democratic party increased their presidential turnout further, but that was in response to a Trump. In 2024, if Trump isn't the nominee, will they turn out for the Blue? Or sit it out? Because the newly enlarged GOP base will probably get engaged and turn out.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

James Garfield posted:

Who is this guy and why should I care about his screenshots of tweets (other than that he posted a screenshot of his own tweet :lol:)

fake edit: oh his other recent tweets include calling Navalny a nazi and colleges "just idpol factories", well that answers it!

idk about the other tweets but Navalny is in fact an ethnonationalist. calling him a nazi is hyperbolic but he is pretty bad on this stuff.

quote:

"Those of us who are here, we know and believe that there are also 'normal' people in the Caucasus -- not only those freaks who are in power. We know that there are girls there whose life's ambition is not about being wrapped up in a burqa and having 25 children, but about living a decent life like humans. There are young people who want to study and work -- and their ideal of life is not a Porsche Cayenne and a golden gun,"

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/is-aleksei-navalny-a-liberal-or-a-nationalist/278186/

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 4, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

far-right insurrectionist Alexey Navalny

:what:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

In 2024, if Trump isn't the nominee, will they turn out for the Blue? Or sit it out? Because the newly enlarged GOP base will probably get engaged and turn out.

They did not turn out in 2018 or the GA Specials even though Trump was bellowing at them to vote. If Trump is not on the ballot, then the formerly-apolitical Trump cultists will probably go back to not voting.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hello we are not doing tara reade chat here

hi. gently caress you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

They did not turn out in 2018 or the GA Specials even though Trump was bellowing at them to vote. If Trump is not on the ballot, then the formerly-apolitical Trump cultists will probably go back to not voting.

There was a miniscule 10% drop off between the November presidential results and the January runoff results in Georgia. That does not bode well for the Democratic party's future prospects.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

A journalist who works for (or used to recently work for) RT America doesn't like Matt Duss?? I'm shocked :rolleyes: How about you post some context in addition to these "hot takes" next time.

For example, what's wrong with that Guardian article called Patience in Afghanistan? Based on Rubinstein's post, it appears that he's inferring that Duss is advocating for continued war in Afghanistan. However, when you read the article, Duss is saying patience is needed to see the outcome of their election before sending even more troops over.

Please actually put some effort into looking up the author and content of tweets you post in addition to providing your own thoughts on what you're posting. This is a terrible post.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 4, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

He's also on team "AOC is being hysterical about that whole insurrection thing and stymying the burgeoning left/right alliance with noted Good Faith Man Of Principle Ted Cruz", so I for one am going to need a second opinion if he tries to tell me that the sky is blue.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

There was a miniscule 10% drop off between the November presidential results and the January runoff results in Georgia. That does not bode well for the Democratic party's future prospects.

It is never going to look too good for the Democratic party's future prospects because the Senate is incredibly undemocratic and inherently strongly favors republicans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's also on team "AOC is being hysterical about that whole insurrection thing and stymying the burgeoning left/right alliance with noted Good Faith Man Of Principle Ted Cruz", so I for one am going to need a second opinion if he tries to tell me that the sky is blue.

Him calling Navalny a "far-right insurrectionist" was also a pretty big giveaway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lemming posted:

Democrats in Array

It remains preposterous to me this appears to be the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Angry_Ed posted:

Him calling Navalny a "far-right insurrectionist" was also a pretty big giveaway.

Yea, using the phrase "Russia hawk" with negative connotation was an immediate :crossarms: moment for me

Kalit fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 4, 2021