Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Dabir posted:

it

but

god loving

I'll remember that if I decide to do an Ashe playthrough. Probably wouldn't help with bronze though, even one pip of difference ruins that. Or no pips, if you get unlucky with the giga hitting weak points.

It's been a good 12 years since I've played ZXA, but I had a really, really good time with hard mode and Survival Road that unlocks after. Hard mode actually changed up patterns and gave new moves with new gimmicks (for example, using Hedgeshock or antique A is required to dodge one of the final boss's attacks that isn't required on normal), and Surival Road is a boss rush that gives you two sub tanks to use. The bosses are all on normal mode which tripped me up after finishing hard, but it was still hella fun.

While I did get all of the medals, I absolutely did *not* do that on hard mode. Come to think of it, I should, I just liked ZX way, way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hrist posted:

The buster only challenges were really tough. But watching the replays showed me some of them have a loop you can get them in if you do it right. And by that, I mean have fun learning the exact timing you need to keep Elec Man in a loop so you can actually beat him without taking a ton of damage from a single beam.

Yea, had to look up Elec Man to see if I was on the right path to killing that sumbitch. I think Guts Man is more annoying though if he chooses to just jump repeatedly and stunlocks you for 5+ seconds should you jump late.

Silver on MM1, crushing defeat on the others so far.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Hrist posted:

The buster only challenges were really tough. But watching the replays showed me some of them have a loop you can get them in if you do it right. And by that, I mean have fun learning the exact timing you need to keep Elec Man in a loop so you can actually beat him without taking a ton of damage from a single beam.

I eventually got the timing down for Elec Man but I remember having more trouble with Shadow Man since there's no tricks for that one, you just gotta be on your toes the whole time

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
MM3 has some monster buster duels. Shadow Man is probably the worst of them, but Needle Man and Hard Man don't play around, either.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you don't get hit by Hard Man's falling attack, you can actually damage race him

Shadow is a motherfucker tho

Y'all making me remember long practice sessions for the LPs...

I did the MM1 bosses by editing in savestated buster fights. Still tough. By MM3, I wanted to do it legit. I had so, so many runs through Shadow Man's stage...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have never beaten Needle Man buster-only without using a Tank on a 60hz game. I have done it on a PAL version.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

weak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zvrOhxNDc&t=151s

Tho now I wonder if that's a PAL rom?!

EDIT: while I have the old playlist open...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3FSx28E18&t=188s

What a fight

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 3, 2021

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Simply Simon posted:

weak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zvrOhxNDc&t=151s

Tho now I wonder if that's a PAL rom?!

EDIT: while I have the old playlist open...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3FSx28E18&t=188s

What a fight

Wow, that was almost 10 years ago! I enjoyed your LPs back in the day

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Wow, that was almost 10 years ago! I enjoyed your LPs back in the day
Thanks! Yeah I was like "wait I can just check if the ROM is PAL or not

you recorded this at least three computers ago, did you really think you still have the ROMs lying around???"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that my first clean Needle Man kill was the EU version of Wily Wars (Mega World?), if it matters. It was definitely running at 50mhz and that made dodging his random attacks much easier.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Thanks! Yeah I was like "wait I can just check if the ROM is PAL or not

It's not. The speed difference is very noticeable.

Needle Man was actually the first boss I defeated the first time I played the game. Although every time I revisit the game I get baffled at how lucky I was that time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My friend gave me a code for Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2. Are X5-X8 really as bad as angry gamer YouTubes have lead me to believe?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

SeANMcBAY posted:

My friend gave me a code for Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2. Are X5-X8 really as bad as angry gamer YouTubes have lead me to believe?

They're...not great? Besides X6, I found them to be alright games with some cool ideas in each of them. They're certainly very weak when compared to X1-X4 though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll give them a shot. I really want to play all the mainline games. I’ll start after I’m done with my playthrough of the classic series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X5 is tedious and has some dumb decisions on a more meta level but mostly isn't terrible in actual gameplay and stages, definitely mid tier at best though.
X6 is a game that hates you, which may have its own appeal, and was a very rushed job, but it is remarkable in its audacity.
X7 is a barrel of terribly implemented ideas by people who should have known better, but it does have one of the best soundtracks in the series.
X8 would be good if it had more than like 2 real stages, so it's around X5 tier or lower.

I think people have made fan patches for X5 and X6 which make them a lot more tolerable, so you may want to look into those.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

But also if you're getting it for free, there's no real risk in giving it a shot. So you might as well; some people like X5 and X8.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

X5 is tedious and has some dumb decisions on a more meta level but mostly isn't terrible in actual gameplay and stages, definitely mid tier at best though.
X6 is a game that hates you, which may have its own appeal, and was a very rushed job, but it is remarkable in its audacity.
X7 is a barrel of terribly implemented ideas by people who should have known better, but it does have one of the best soundtracks in the series.
X8 would be good if it had more than like 2 real stages, so it's around X5 tier or lower.

I think people have made fan patches for X5 and X6 which make them a lot more tolerable, so you may want to look into those.

I think said patches are only for the original PSX versions though but I could be wrong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/OpenNetBattle/status/1357082679431331846

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

My extremely correct opinions:
- X5 is boring trash. It has some very ambitious ideas that fall completely flat because they're implemented in the absolutely most boneheaded ways I've ever seen, with arbitrary time limits, randomness, obfuscation and plain nonsense governing most of its unique systems. On top of that, it features some of the worst level design in the series from a pure entertainment standpoint, with levels ranging from "that's it?" to superlong auto-scrollers, with gimmicks that force you to wait around for ages ducked in a corner, garbage jetbike sections AND garbage puzzle sections in one level, and more. I really hate X5. Play it anyway because it's very divisive and many people love it despite the issues, it has some epic in the best sense scenes and sometimes great music.
- X6 is one of the worst games ever made, there's no denying that. It is plagued top to bottom with half-finished ideas that should not have reached even that stage (because they're bad), bugs, untested, unpolished and unbelievably bad level design, and structural issues that are eyebrow-raising even if you make excuses for its very, very rushed development cycle. However, it's also one of the most fascinating games I've ever played, and I keep coming back to it because I find something newly terrible and interesting every time. Also, the few times it works as intended, it has glimpses of brilliance, it's like a hard mode romhack of itself, with extremely amateurish "what if even more enemies" design that's almost charming. It needs to be experienced, but you will hate it unless you develop some frankly worrying stockholm-like syndrome like I did. Play X6 until you cannot take it anymore. Oh, and it has my favorite soundtrack of all the X games.
- X7 is somehow worse than X5 and X6. It has the distinction of being the first of the three that seems like they finally managed to make exactly what they wanted to make, sadly their accomplished vision was utter dogshit. It is slow, clunky, tedious, terrible. Utter garbage game top to bottom. I do not see any redeeming features in it. There's nothing fun in trying to wrangle its hilariously incompetent engine to do your bidding - even if you're not trudging through 3D sections that feel like you're pushing action figures through molasses, you have platforming that's stunning in its lack of inspiration, ride chaser segments that defy explanation in how stupid the entire thing looks and plays, and some segments with ride armors that are so far away from cool that they might as well be in the center of the sun. Also the boss fights take forever unless you're playing on the Japanese verison which doesn't double their health (wtf), and they range from extremely boring and unfun to hair-tearingly frustrating. And unfun. Play the intro stage and if you're not madly laughing at how insanely terrible this pile of poo poo is, then skip it because holy poo poo it's so bad.
- X8 manages to finally have a competent engine, a great selection of characters, some fun secrets, great bossfights, nice unlockables and special weapons, replayability and challenge, and squanders almost all of it because it only has two normal stages and a whole heap of gimmicky ones that range from almost okay (gravity switching except for that trash instant kill spike room) to utterly abysmal (again, one of [<---that's already a bad sign] the ride chaser ones). It is still very good. Play and enjoy X8. Just don't try to go for 100% blind, it has some of the most obscure and dumb hidden things in it - kill the 8 bosses at least before thinking about getting all the secrets, you will be disappointed when looking them up, because they reach from "how was I supposed to figure out to use THIS weapon HERE" to "involved 5-minute-process which you can gently caress up every step of the way, forcing a complete restart".

tl;dr: try out all of them, especially for free. Prepare for disappointment with X5. Be ready to marvel at the many ways game design can go wrong in X6. If you're not into bad, bad games like I am, only give X7 a passing glance. Play all of X8 because it owns.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first time you play X6, you should emulate it and use the retranslation patch that makes the font a lot nicer and fixes the terrible script. The second time, if you were able to stomach the first, go in vanilla and raw and embrace the poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To give you an idea of how well thought out X5 and X6 were: X4 introduced an item called the EX Tank, which permanently buffs your starting lives after a game over to 4 instead of 2. Neat, I guess.

X5 makes extra lives meaningless because when you game over and continue, you start from exactly where you would have if you'd had an extra life. The EX Tank is a strict downgrade now, because it lets you go back to level select less often. But I guess you can reset and load your save any time. In fact, you should, because of the "time limit" that gives you a limited number of chances to select levels before you get locked into the bad ending and lose Zero as a playable character.

X6 is the same as X5, except now there's multiple spots where you can wind up completely unable to continue because you brought the wrong upgrades and have to throw yourself into a pit over and over to leave. And the game has a system that, amongst its many other flaws, constantly shits lives down your throat. And it has what amounts to EXP that you need to farm for, so no matter what else you've done, hard quitting out without getting a game over so you can save is pretty much always a waste of your time

Dabir fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 4, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If you do decide to play X7 make sure you set it to play the Japanese audio. I can't remember if the western release reduced boss damage or inflated their health values, but either way it makes them way more tedious than they need to be and setting it to Japanese audio makes the game also use the Japanese values.

Edit: missed Simon actually covering this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you do decide to play X7 make sure you set it to play the Japanese audio. I can't remember if the western release reduced boss damage or inflated their health values, but either way it makes them way more tedious than they need to be and setting it to Japanese audio makes the game also use the Japanese values.

Edit: missed Simon actually covering this

Apparently the European version of X7 also uses the Japanese damage values (not 100% sure on that though). From what I’ve heard, Capcom apparently changed things in the US version to discourage people from renting the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m getting the collection code on Switch so no hacks. You guys are making me kinda excited to see how bad they are.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i recently finished playing through the two x collections, as well as the two xtreme games, and am currently working through command mission. i have some x opinions that would probably instantly evaporate any cred i could possibly have in this thread, but suffice to say i thought x8 was the worst game in the second collection

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SeANMcBAY posted:

X5 is decent, it's not perfect and definitely has serious flaws(the Alia hate people in the fandom have is probably mostly from this game), and it has one of my most hated boss fights ever, black devil. but it has one of my favorite music tracks in any megaman game, X vs Zero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOc22_3Z-30

X6 is a travesty. Never played 7 or 8.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
X7 has the best voice clips in the series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Homora Gaykemi posted:

X7 has the best voice clips in the series
it sure does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ&hd=1

BURN TO THE GROUND! B-B-BURN TO THE BURN BURN TO THE BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m getting the collection code on Switch so no hacks. You guys are making me kinda excited to see how bad they are.
that's the spirit

I only bought the second collection

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Invictus posted:

it sure does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ&hd=1

BURN TO THE GROUND! B-B-BURN TO THE BURN BURN TO THE BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!
The best one was just an audio file with X saying STOP THAT!, interspersed around burn to the tri burn.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scalding Coffee posted:

The best one was just an audio file with X saying STOP THAT!, interspersed around burn to the tri burn.

Everyone gives poo poo to Hyenard, but X's "STOP THAT!" is way worse than any BURN TO THE GROUND spam.

Also the best voice clip is Sigma saying "That's Right, Folks!" when he reveals himself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Black Devil is a cool, difficult fight and it mostly stands out because X5 is ludicrously easy for the most part.

It had some really cool ideas overall that were just fleshed out so completely poorly that the whole presentation suffers for it. I'd honestly love a real remake of X5 with some of that stuff better implemented - it honestly kind of reminds me of the goofier/more arbitrary aspects of PS3 Demon's Souls (not sure if the remake has the same thing going on with world tendency etc.).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

X6 is a bad game but in a way I find it more fun to play than X5. The total bullshit X6 is filled with makes it more interesting to me than X5 which I just find boring.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Has Capcom hinted at an X9? That series really needs another go much more than classic MM.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus posted:

X6 is a bad game but in a way I find it more fun to play than X5. The total bullshit X6 is filled with makes it more interesting to me than X5 which I just find boring.
It's this

Also Black Devil is the worst boss

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has Capcom hinted at an X9? That series really needs another go much more than classic MM.
Legends 3 has a better chance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Legends 3 has a better chance.

Why? I’d imagine the Legacy Collections sold well, at least the first one.:lol:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We got Mega Man 11 entirely because the collections sold well so it's not unthinkable that X9 could happen someday. The Mega Man 11 team has been working on something, we know that much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The closest thing so far is the ongoing mobile title Megaman X Dive which still has yet to see a release in North America. Aside from that they haven’t touched the X series in a while aside from the Legacy Collections. Anything’s possible I suppose.

Though if they do, I’m curious if they’re going to stick with X8’s ending and keep Sigma dead (Command Mission chronologically takes place afterwards despite being released first and he wasn’t in that at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t think they could resist not bringing back Sigma again, especially after so long after the last main game.