Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lollontee posted:

yeah actually im going to move to gaza tomorrow to "help out"

bring some vaccines with you, contribute a lil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

lollontee posted:

yeah actually im going to move to gaza tomorrow to "help out"
there are organisations of crazy young people worldwide who go into war zones to "help out", and they usually rely on funding. palestine more than qualifies for disaster assistance from msf or the red cross, both of whom are run from wealthy countries. where are they? we live in a world where governments barely run anything anymore beyond military operations, it's all charities and ngos with the resources and the capacity to do this kind of work. they've been silent for decades on the subject of palestine, citing fear of israel (lol), but now when there's a crisis their true disinterest really emerges

perepelki fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 4, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

perepelki posted:

there are organisations of crazy young people worldwide who go into war zones to "help out", and they usually rely on funding. palestine more than qualifies for disaster assistance from msf or the red cross, both of whom are run from wealthy countries. where are they? we live in a world where governments barely run anything anymore beyond military operations, it's all charities and ngos with the resources and the capacity to do this kind of work.

Bombed or blocked by the Israeli army

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

perepelki posted:

there are organisations of crazy young people worldwide who go into war zones to "help out", and they usually rely on funding. palestine more than qualifies for disaster assistance from msf or the red cross, both of whom are run from wealthy countries. where are they? we live in a world where governments barely run anything anymore beyond military operations, it's all charities and ngos with the resources and the capacity to do this kind of work.

there are no such organizations

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
seriously lmao at the idea of somebody bringing up the red cross as a solution to a military occupation tho

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

lollontee posted:

seriously lmao at the idea of somebody bringing up the red cross as a solution to a military occupation tho
you know israel isn't an ai, right. the military is controlled by the leadership, the leadership can react to current conditions and respond differently than they have in the past. given the huge risk to their own safety posed by gaza being decimated by a rapidly-evolving plague, they would most likely agree to cooperate with non-hostile ngos offering to distribute vaccines to palestinians, and avoid blockading or bombing them for the duration of the pandemic, if such an offer were to be made.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

perepelki posted:

you know israel isn't an ai, right. the military is controlled by the leadership, the leadership can react to current conditions and respond differently than they have in the past. given the huge risk to their own safety posed by gaza being decimated by a rapidly-evolving plague, they would most likely agree to cooperate with non-hostile ngos offering to distribute vaccines to palestinians, and avoid blockading or bombing them for the duration of the pandemic, if such an offer were to be made.

no, they would not. the leadership of israel would enjoy and publically cheer at the idea of palestinians dying from a plague while they cut off all travel

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

perepelki posted:

those vaccines would be jabbed into israeli arms in six hours

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i say swears online posted:

those vaccines would be jabbed into israeli arms in six hours
the israelis don't need to steal vaccines, they have enough for their population, and only their population

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Remember that this is D&D, so let's slow down the low-content sniping and instead drift in the general direction of more detailed and in-depth posts illustrating points in more detail. Also, just a pro tip - if you don't actually know the details of something and want to ask people why things aren't a certain way, consider not acting like you're a know-it-all about it.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

Remember that this is D&D, so let's slow down the low-content sniping and instead drift in the general direction of more detailed and in-depth posts illustrating points in more detail. Also, just a pro tip - if you don't actually know the details of something and want to ask people why things aren't a certain way, consider not acting like you're a know-it-all about it.
haha sorry, i got carried away

you're right, i do admit i don't know much about charity work in gaza. it's hard to restrain myself on this issue because right now i respect and love the israeli medical establishment more than anything else in the world. but at the same time, i agree that the plague has enabled medical genocide all over the world, and gaza is one of those places.

so i will answer my own question, through research, rather than aggressively asking it in this thread, where it has already been answered and will only inflame things

and before i post in future, i'll remind myself that everything i "know" about israel, i learnt only from israelis

please forgive me, lollontee. please forgive me, thread.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 4, 2021

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

perepelki posted:

there are organisations of crazy young people worldwide who go into war zones to "help out", and they usually rely on funding. palestine more than qualifies for disaster assistance from msf or the red cross, both of whom are run from wealthy countries. where are they?

https://www.ifrc.org/en/what-we-do/where-we-work/middle-east-and-north-africa/palestine-red-crescent/

https://www.msf.org/palestine

Both are active in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Crazy as it sounds, medical aid doesn’t solve a decades long military occupation!

lollontee posted:

because they are being paid not to, and the source of those payments is starting to actually fall apart.

"modern" planes and tanks are going to become rapidly obsolete within the next decade due to mass-production of military drones and loitering munitions (previously known as missiles). plenty of ways for the palestinians to acquire the military power to threaten israel, imho all it would take is for their neighbours to stop sucking american dick for a couple of years and weapons would be flowing into gaza through their territories. as for guerrilla war...

lol theres been a war for the past couple of decades iirc? thats not going to go anywhere, and if you think its going to just go poof in the face of more brutal suppression, i dont think you quite understand how uprisings work. either israel murders literally millions to put down the palestinian threat for good, or this war is going to keep going, and israel isnt going to be growing any stronger in the future, what with their entire military being based on american aid.

Yes, there has been an ongoing conflict between Palestinian militant organisations and Israel for decades. And how many times has Israel been existentially threatened in that time? 0. A few Israelis die - sometimes soldiers, sometimes civilians, sometimes some random foreign guest worker - and it accomplishes nothing. It will continue certainly as oppressed people will always fight back especially when denied pacifist methods of opposition, but that doesn’t mean they will accomplish anything.

Also you sound like you are writing metal gear fan fiction. In future weapon systems, Palestine is not going to outcompete Israel even if the devices used change. Palestine doesn’t control its own economy and has almost no industry. Israel is a technologically modern and fairly cutting edge state.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Israel just signed 'peace accords' (more like weapon deals, but w\e) with several neighboring arab states, most Sunni countries seem more concerned with Iran than they are with Israel and are willing to collaborate with the US and with Israel.

Now, I am not a prophet that is good at predicting the future like some goons who know exactly what's going to happen 'in the next few decades', or like the very stable goon genius who borrowing from Hegelian dialectics tried to convince me that the occupation is untenable and will 'collapse under the weight of its own internal contradictions', but it seems to me like the prospects of Israel getting destroyed or its hand being forced on Palestinian statehood kind of became less likely this past decade.

The occupation is doing just fine, probably better than ever, it sucks but that's the truth.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s doing so well that the idea of a Palestinian state is now essentially impossible because what is internationally recognized as Palestinian land is littered with Israeli settlements now, and more are coming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's pretty clear the only politically popular plan is to just keep displacing Palestinians until there are none left.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that the plan, in as such as one exists, is a bit less ambitious than complete displacement, I think that people like Netanyahu largely know that Israel will never have the legitimacy to pull off another Nakba and that the Palestinian population is not going anywhere, as the ruling ideology in israel is securitarian zionism (aka ביטחוניסטים) their long term plan has basically two objectives, keep the palestinians declawed and ensure that demographics and territorial control are the such that eventually when palestinians are given full citizenship within israel (and from the securitarian perspective this event should be delayed for as long as possible) that they are very much in a minority position with as little influence and capital as possible.

Olmert had some quotes about the inevitably of the Palestinian cause becoming a civil rights cause, Netanyahu himself in the past (way in the past, when he was 28) also said that his 'solution' also involves having the palestinians population given full israeli citizenship as long as 'never again', etc.

That's my take.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Madkal posted:

I think the issue with the fascist part is that it is conflating domestic and foreign into one thing. For instance, there is a free press inside Israel, and while there is absolutely racism in theory all Israeli citizens have rights though the rights granted are really backwards but there is no ban on a political party trying to achieve better rights for citizens (it's just that those parties very rarely get enough votes to make a difference).

All Israeli citizens don't have the same rights though. "Citizen" in Israel is an inferior status to "national", a class reserved only for Jews. Israel is an apartheid state with or without the territories (which, due to hundreds of thousands of citizen-nationals residing there can't really be considered "foreign" anyway).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DarkCrawler posted:

All Israeli citizens don't have the same rights though. "Citizen" in Israel is an inferior status to "national", a class reserved only for Jews. Israel is an apartheid state with or without the territories (which, due to hundreds of thousands of citizen-nationals residing there can't really be considered "foreign" anyway).

The way that church and state are up each others' asses in Israel makes it a pretty interesting case of apartheid since it's got several levels it works on.

Jewish Citizens have more rights than non-jewish citizens (or citizens that aren't regarded as jewish by the system like the russian immigrants, israeli arabs etc.), and even in that distinction, Israeli arabs are usually more discriminated against than other non-jewish citizens, but not as much by actual laws. Then you've got "guest workers" like other foreign nationals, and even here there's a pretty clear divide between "non-jew who moved to Israel to marry an Israeli", south east asian workers, and refugees from Africa. Then going down the totem pole some more you've got Palestinians who are not only shafted in basically every area, but even without the actual laws constraining them are regularly subjected to different treatment under the same laws as jews who live in the west bank (throwing rocks at soldiers gets you shot if you're palestinian but gets ignored if you're jewish, etc.)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Madkal posted:

I'm kind of failing to see how Israel, a country that does democracy so well that they have elections every 8 months, is a fascist state but okay.

What if the Israeli electorate is majority fascist?

Edit:
Or, if we want to be charitable, votes plurality fascist?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe Israel is the country in the world with the highest percentage of their population vaccinated (I could be wrong), but they are certainly not going to include Palestinians in that, of course.

https://twitter.com/AManInTheSun/status/1361774180627324933?s=20

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
With the next election four days away, how are things looking? A bit of looking at the news suggests stalemate and status quo, with some commentators already speculating on the dynamics of a potential fifth election. Once again, Netanyahu's bloc is forecast to be just a bit short of a majority, but the divided opposition is unlikely to be able to form a majority themselves, so the most common prediction seems to be another slim and fragile Netanyahu government.

The biggest change from last election, of course, is the near-total collapse in Blue and White's support. Gantz's party, once a leading force in the opposition, is now expected to only barely meet the electoral threshold to hold any seats at all.

Meanwhile, the Joint List has fractured, with one major faction leaving the party and going it alone as a "pragmatic" independent force. Which, in practice, just means they'd be willing to ally with Netanyahu and join his coalition. I have yet to find anyone who knows anything about Israeli politics and doesn't consider this a terrible idea, but it's not entirely out of left field - the Joint List has always been an uneasy alliance between groups who didn't have much in common ideologically, and were largely forced together by necessity to avoid dropping under the electoral threshold.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu himself is actively courting Israeli Arab voters, reaching beyond his traditional base. No one seems to think this will be super successful, but it doesn't seem to be completely ineffective either. With the political stalemate Israel has been in, flipping even just a few thousand Arab votes could have a big impact.

And just to make things really stupid, the Kahanists have found an opportunity to resurface. The Religious Zionist Party, a small party that's been bouncing around various far-right alliances for a while now, has left Yamina to partner with the Jewish Power party. I'm sure no one will be surprised what their political alignment is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Meanwhile, Netanyahu himself is actively courting Israeli Arab voters, reaching beyond his traditional base. No one seems to think this will be super successful, but it doesn't seem to be completely ineffective either. With the political stalemate Israel has been in, flipping even just a few thousand Arab votes could have a big impact.
Huh. Definitely didn't think I would see that happen.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the party that left the joint list is a socially-conservative pro-islam party, so i don't think they'll be joining a netanyahu coalition. it leaves the joint list somewhat secular

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe Israel is the country in the world with the highest percentage of their population vaccinated (I could be wrong), but they are certainly not going to include Palestinians in that, of course.

https://twitter.com/AManInTheSun/status/1361774180627324933?s=20

I wonder if simply including Palestinians in Israeli statistics would make any difference in perception since they're insisting on jurisdiction over Palestinians anyway. Israel would suddenly plummet down the charts for vaccination progress, income, life expectancy, and pretty much every other measure of what defines a successful developed state.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I wonder if simply including Palestinians in Israeli statistics would make any difference in perception since they're insisting on jurisdiction over Palestinians anyway. Israel would suddenly plummet down the charts for vaccination progress, income, life expectancy, and pretty much every other measure of what defines a successful developed state.

I mean it obviously would and the only reason it isn't already done is because of American influence, pretty much. The rest of the world is pretty tired of the MiLItArY OcCuPaTioN charade for the most part.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

i say swears online posted:

the party that left the joint list is a socially-conservative pro-islam party, so i don't think they'll be joining a netanyahu coalition. it leaves the joint list somewhat secular

Which is all right by me, the Joint List voter.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

That is interesting. Is there any indication that there's a group of Israeli Arabs that might be motivated by "gently caress you, got mine" with regard to those in the occupied territories? Appealing specifically to the better off with a law and order message, or discouraging Muslim conservatives by pointing to left-wing social attitudes?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

By popular demand posted:

Which is all right by me, the Joint List voter.

i think odeh's a pretty neat dude

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Grammarchist posted:

Is there any indication that there's a group of Israeli Arabs that might be motivated by "gently caress you, got mine" with regard to those in the occupied territories?

Famously yes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Here to point out that should these elections end indecisively and we go for another round come october Benny Ganz is supposed to become prime minister, Benny plays the longest game.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grammarchist posted:

That is interesting. Is there any indication that there's a group of Israeli Arabs that might be motivated by "gently caress you, got mine" with regard to those in the occupied territories? Appealing specifically to the better off with a law and order message, or discouraging Muslim conservatives by pointing to left-wing social attitudes?

Some 9% of them are Arab Christians who probably don't see eye to eye with Palestinian Authority and especially Hamas.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Some 9% of them are Arab Christians who probably don't see eye to eye with Palestinian Authority and especially Hamas.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that and was never really well versed in the electoral demographics of these groups.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Nenonen posted:

These Arab Christians also get treated like poo poo by Orthodox Jews that Likud enables, both for being Arab and also Christian. It really sucks to be either in Israel.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fun fact: one of the posters that the ministry of tourism used reads:
"ISRAEL
No one belongs here more than you."

If I Ever find myself in the position to somehow blackmail the entire world in order to start a nation I'm totally taking that slogan and welcoming every refugee ever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Thom12255 posted:

These Arab Christians also get treated like poo poo by Orthodox Jews that Likud enables, both for being Arab and also Christian. It really sucks to be either in Israel.

Funnily enough I was hearing an Israeli tell another person how the Christian Arabs have it much better in Israel than anywhere else in the middle East just last week.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You often hear Israeli jews say they know what's best for the arabs, I guess it's the same as white americans saying they know what minorities really need.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Here to point out that should these elections end indecisively and we go for another round come october Benny Ganz is supposed to become prime minister, Benny plays the longest game.

Well, I'd like to see ol' Bibi Netanyahu wriggle his way out of THIS jam!
*Bibi easily wriggles his way out of the jam*
Ah! Well, nevertheless,

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think also at one point Lieberman or someone was thinking of trading majority Arab areas for settlements or something like that in peace plan and Israeli Arabs were like "uh no" although that is less FYGM and "You can't just revoke citizenship randomly from groups you don't like and trade them in negotiations".

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Also Palestine would still be an effective prison, you don't have to like Israel to not want to be part of what they were planning with Palestine there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I know relatively little about domestic Israeli politics, primarily from reading this thread and the occasional bits that penetrate foreign media, but was Benny Gantz ever a serious political figure? The coalition with Netanyahu and agreement to let Bibi take the first crack at being PM was seen by every account I read as a suckers move. I'm just wondering if he was one of these guys who really was that desperate/naive but managed to wrangle an opposition coalition together out of being in the right place at the right time or if that was an uncharacteristic moment of insanity.