Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
walls of t ext about historical events is hoi4s speciality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Victoria 3

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sins of a Solar Empire deserves a sequel that improves the exploration and economy bits to be as fun as the war parts. Sins is everything Stellaris combat wishes it was.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Eimi posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire deserves a sequel that improves the exploration and economy bits to be as fun as the war parts. Sins is everything Stellaris combat wishes it was.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Flavius Aetass posted:

I wish they'd put more focus on historical events again, try to work in ways to incorporate them dynamically.

I know that's like, the whole idea and easier said than done but I miss EU2 days when I'd get a wall of text about the Wars of the Roses and have to take a side.

EU4 and Imperator mission trees try to do that. The obvious problem with EU2 events is that your England might be an OPM in Ireland or own half of Europe by the time the even drops and it would make stuff look weird. Plus it makes playing countries like Byzantium less exciting than other "historical" countries because they have no events past 1453. EU4 tried to do those dynamic historical events. But when those have specific triggers you don't even know they exist. As in you get Russian Great Embassy if you have a capable ruler and backward tech around 1700. So those are moved into decisions, missions, disasters and other places with visible triggers so you know they exist. This is very limiting and probably not what your inner nerd wants.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you like walls of text and crazy events that break the world boy howdy do I ever have the mod for you

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Eimi posted:

It might be splitting hairs but I always felt Sins was an RTS first and pretty much only. So I would hope the combat in an RTS game would be better than combat in a non RTS game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Grevlek posted:

It might be splitting hairs but I always felt Sins was an RTS first and pretty much only. So I would hope the combat in an RTS game would be better than combat in a non RTS game.

It was heavier on RTS than 4x, but it was intended to be a mix of both, like Stellaris.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Eimi posted:

It was heavier on RTS than 4x, but it was intended to be a mix of both, like Stellaris.

Well I don't think it nailed the balance because it played like an RTS game with a space setting, I found the mix did not synergize. The space strategy stuff got in the way of the RTS, the RTS got in the way of the strategic decisions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Flavius Aetass posted:

I wish they'd put more focus on historical events again, try to work in ways to incorporate them dynamically.

I know that's like, the whole idea and easier said than done but I miss EU2 days when I'd get a wall of text about the Wars of the Roses and have to take a side.

:same:

Also some sort of recognition of geographical constraints on armies and governance. Russia didn't colonize Siberia by spreading out along the land, they followed the river routes. The Ottoman advance on Vienna followed the Danube because that was the only plausible way to move and supply such a large force. Nobody was marching 30k man columns through the Himalayas. Administrative structures don't just pop into existence three years after territorial control changes hands.

The governance thing is something CK3 desperately needs too. Having perfect information and the ability to act in all corners of your Realm simultaneously really undercuts the roleplay they're aiming for.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Eimi posted:

Again, hate to split hairs here but I never felt that stellaris was marketed as an RTS. Im not sure that stellaris in its current format would benefit from more tactical decision making, but perhaps stellaris 1.0 might have. The different drive types might have facilitates a more tactical game.

My opinion is that Sins is as much of a 4x/grand strategy as age of empires.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you like walls of text and crazy events that break the world boy howdy do I ever have the mod for you

this is just from Walt's secret diary

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wait wtf more people play civ 3 than 4??

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean from what I’ve seen on here there are no good strategy games ever as they are bad but people play em anyway

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Aoe2 is beyond criticism

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Koramei posted:

I play civ 3 over civ 4. Civ 3 was the first "new release" game in the franchise when I was a teen.

The conquest maps are still very fun, and good for fast multiplayer games.

There is also a pretty fantastic warhammer fantasy mod. The wh mod was the best warhammer property between warhammer shadow of the horned rat and dawn of war or whatever the 40k company of heroes like was.

Tldr civ 3 still bangs, civ 4 really only has baba yetu as it's selling point

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Koramei posted:

I was surprised too. Maybe those who play Civ4 can still use the disk version they bought before Steam and Civ3 Steam version got some patches to run on modern machines?..

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sins of a Solar empire is way more RTS than anything else, all the tech/exploration is just about getting more resources and bonuses to weapons. I really liked that game and still fire it up once or twice a year.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

civ 3 is better unless you're playing fall from heaven or another civ 4 megamod

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I remember when 4 released a lot of people saying 3 was better but that dropped off a cliff after five dropped.

Not because five was better mind you

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Civ 4 bts is better than civ 3 in every way, (all all later civs), sorry guys.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I skipped 3 completely, what it has better than 4?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
no one says civ3 is better than civ4. i don't know what those dudes are smoking.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Opinions:

Endless Space 1 is better than Endless Space 2 primarily due to tech tree and balance issues.

I find both Endless Spaces to have more granular and meaningful decisions than Stellaris for a lot of the aforementioned reasons.

Sword of the Stars (the first one) remains my favorite modern (not MoO2) space 4x.

Civ 4 is better than Civ 3

Alpha Centauri remains the best Civ of them all, primarily for its story, fleshed out leaders, and ambiance. Civs in general feel too sterile for me compared to CK or EU.

Okay, now that we have all of the correct opinions stated, the thread can continue.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Grevlek posted:

For sure I will give you that. Even granting that, it's the only space 4x I would play on the market. I'm really not interested in playing another MoO-like. I will give Distant Worlds 2 a shot when it comes out, but the last 4x I've liked was Endless Space 1. Before that, the last space 4x I enjoyed contemporaneously goes back to MoO3 of all games. Whatever glaring flaws Stellaris has, in my opinion it is the best game in the genre right now.

I felt like it was presented as a "Paradox" style attempt at a 4x game, and that's more or less what we got. I'm sure I agree with a laundry list of the items you would want them to do differently, but I don't feel like I was hoodwinked. And I can get behind anyone who does not like it, and did not like the direction it went.

I would have done things differently as well. It doesn't have the baked in world state that makes other Paradox games appealing. It could have easily had a checkmark option to add in like 4~8 civilizations that would always show up, you would know what they do, and add a bit of story that history usually gives you in their other games. I think the randomized spacenations are the worst aspect of Stellaris, and prevents it from having a familiar feeling that other Paradox games have.

I play Stellaris with a nations pack my friend and I have been working on over the years. We've made Sci-Fi nations that attempt to fit into the various AI personalities that match them best. It's more fun to play when you are going up against the Zerg, the Borg, and the Minbari from Babylon 5 vs going up against the Blorg Uglyfriends or whatever randomized species the game spits out.

tl;dr i apologize for generalizing groups on the internet. paradox also isn't a singular entity, but for the purposes of the comic personification of distillation of the last 6 years into a 4 line comedic back and forth, i may have cut some corners. stellaris is not a good game, but i really don't know what other space 4x im supposed to play. i haven't enjoyed ck3 since launch so my opinions could be terrible

I did the same thing. I’ve made myself a list of 10 empires of varying strengths. It was a game changer for me in terms of replayability. Procedural in games have a tendency to make the whole thing feel extremely bland. It just can’t compete with carefully crafted personalities.

I’m always gonna care more about 10 species that I can recognize than a million possibilities that comes back to me only looking at their government form to predict how they’ll act.

Crusader Kings, in retrospect, masterfully transformed procedurability into actual characters you care about. That is not easily done.

/edit/
Omg Alpha Centauri, the epitome of properly crafted factions. How could I forget. More like that.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 3, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i like to use my old empires as the AI ones in my new games in stellaris

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I would still play SMAC constantly if the AI was better, though it would help if a few inherently broken things could be changed like ICS and supply crawler abuse

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RabidWeasel posted:

I would still play SMAC constantly if the AI was better, though it would help if a few inherently broken things could be changed like ICS and supply crawler abuse

There is a mod that makes the AI better

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
If you like Alpha Centauri I have to recommend Shadow Empire.

It is a grognard hex game, but if you can handle a paradox game you can handle this.
It doesn't have the same "character" Alpha Centauri does since you play against randomized human civilizations.

But it has some if the best early game exploring I've ever had in a 4x. Customizing your units has a similar flavor to making your own units in AC. I seriously cannot recommend Shadow Empire enough.

I don't know why I've been arguing with you all about Stellaris, when I haven't touched a paradox title since I picked SE up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grevlek posted:

Again, hate to split hairs here but I never felt that stellaris was marketed as an RTS. Im not sure that stellaris in its current format would benefit from more tactical decision making, but perhaps stellaris 1.0 might have. The different drive types might have facilitates a more tactical game.

My opinion is that Sins is as much of a 4x/grand strategy as age of empires.
The problem is that nobody knows what Stellaris is supposed to be and that includes the designers. You can tell there's no real unified design goals by how slapped on and poorly integrated a lot of the mechanics are.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Grevlek posted:

If you like Alpha Centauri I have to recommend Shadow Empire.

It is a grognard hex game, but if you can handle a paradox game you can handle this.
It doesn't have the same "character" Alpha Centauri does since you play against randomized human civilizations.

But it has some if the best early game exploring I've ever had in a 4x. Customizing your units has a similar flavor to making your own units in AC. I seriously cannot recommend Shadow Empire enough.

I don't know why I've been arguing with you all about Stellaris, when I haven't touched a paradox title since I picked SE up.

Can confirm I've played Shadow Empire and it was good. But you have to be able to accept that it is a hex wargame with a 4x bolted onto it. The learning curve for it was steep, especially the logistics.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Stellaris isn't much like an RTS. Same as Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron, you can "run the clock", but all that's really happening is the game is taking small turns in rapid succession.

The battles in Stellaris aren't any more interactive than the ones in the Paradox historical games, they just look more RTS like 'cause you can see the ships flying around.

-----

Can also confirm, Shadow Empire has a much steeper learning curve than any Paradox game I've played. You really need to watch like, half a day of videos before you can really get Shadow Empire enough to make informed decisions. Though I do hear it borrows from a number of other wargames that have a similar heritage, so maybe it's just I've played a lot of Paradox games and not many games like Shadow Empire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stellaris is an RTS for the simple reason that our units move simultaneously, rather than all of yours and then all of mine. The only thing distinguishing the setup from say, AoE2, is the turn speed and how often you're expected to pause in single player.

I know this because playing Paradox games has taught me to constantly want to pause in AoE2. It is a very bad habit.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There is a mod that makes the AI better

Not by enough. I've tried a bunch but none of them really do a great job of teaching the AI to terraform.

Despite that, and it's ridiculous balance issues, SMAC is still probably the best 4x game ever made.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 4, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Stellaris is an RTS for the simple reason that our units move simultaneously, rather than all of yours and then all of mine. The only thing distinguishing the setup from say, AoE2, is the turn speed and how often you're expected to pause in single player.

i can think of a bunch more: the two-layered map, the much longer pace, the more-complex economy and construction, the emphasis on goals that are not beating down enemies or preparing for same, the emphasis on diplomacy, the lack of emphasis on unit positioning and (micro-)management, the ability to conquer and absorb enemies rather than simply destroy them, the pace change caused by the ability to pause to manage complex systems or simply stop and absorb what is happening.

stellaris is a strategy game that plays in real time but it isn't very similar to AOE/starcraft/C&C, especially as you move away from pure rushdown warmongering strategies.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 4, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

stellaris is a strategy game that plays in real time but it isn't very similar to AOE/starcraft/C&C, especially as you move away from pure rushdown warmongering strategies.
Hilarious that those are the only strategies the aican be massaged into doing well.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PittTheElder posted:

:same:

Also some sort of recognition of geographical constraints on armies and governance. Russia didn't colonize Siberia by spreading out along the land, they followed the river routes. The Ottoman advance on Vienna followed the Danube because that was the only plausible way to move and supply such a large force. Nobody was marching 30k man columns through the Himalayas. Administrative structures don't just pop into existence three years after territorial control changes hands.

The governance thing is something CK3 desperately needs too. Having perfect information and the ability to act in all corners of your Realm simultaneously really undercuts the roleplay they're aiming for.

The attrition model for troop movement is one of the few good things about Imperator, and takes some steps towards this.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Alpha Centauri sucks because nowadays you have to buy it on Origin

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Goa Tse-tung posted:

It's also on GoG.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think version sold on GOG doesn't require Origin.

edit: sniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Splicer posted:

The problem is that nobody knows what Stellaris is supposed to be and that includes the designers. You can tell there's no real unified design goals by how slapped on and poorly integrated a lot of the mechanics are.

There was a great post-release interview with one of the head devs which revealed just how hosed up Stellaris' dev cycle was, IIRC they did almost a full redesign of the core gameplay loop about 6 months before the game came out. In that context it's not really surprising.

Edit because I put the wrong loving game in there go me

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 4, 2021