Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

theironjef posted:

The sheer amount of hate directed at Admiral Holdo for [have pink hair/wear a gown/not defer immediately to a subordinate male] was legendary. Basically the original sentence can be swapped to "People hated Last Jedi because THEY were awful." Like, even if you think the movie was bad (I know a lot of people do) there's still a line you can cross between "I didn't like that very much" and "I will howl for blood and make 18 hour long youtube videos" that was crossed.... oh just weeks before the movie even came out.

I mean, I think Holdo was a poorly written character but those are all bad reasons to hate her. I could maybe rant for 18 minutes about the things I didn't like in the movie, but that would be stretching it. But anyway, this is off-topic, sorry for the derail in this game about TG Kickstarters.

So instead, I will say that I am super happy Summon Skate got a kickstarter reboot, and I am looking forward to playing it. Anyone else who wants to play Persona via figure skating should check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/summon-skate-an-indie-japanese-rpg-translation-project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The new Star Wars films are just an unsalvageable mess of bad writing, but are people annoyed with the 501st? They do a lot of cool charity work.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Infinitum posted:

The new Star Wars films are just an unsalvageable mess of bad writing, but are people annoyed with the 501st? They do a lot of cool charity work.

They do, but it's a really weird mixed message. Like imagine they did all that charity work dressed as the SS.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

rydiafan posted:

They do, but it's a really weird mixed message. Like imagine they did all that charity work dressed as the SS.

Without dragging this too much further off topic, I think Lindsay Ellis' video on the ideology of the First Order and the aesthetics of fascism walks through this all in a pretty good way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAVeyXwy3BE

This does look pretty cool though, I'd be interested in it just to see how it tackles resistance movements and such.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I can only read REBEL CUM with that typeface

working as intended

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Hey lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here -- keep in mind that we got the best film of the entire franchise in 2017.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

jivjov posted:

Hey lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here -- keep in mind that we got the best film of the entire franchise in 2017.

What? Ewoks: Caravan of Courage came out in 1984.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jivjov posted:

E: compare to all the stuff people learn about for the first time regarding real world POC history. We regularly sanitize history to benefit the victors.

The now-classic example of this is the Watchmen series opening with the Tulsa Massacre of 1921. A prosperous Black community was attacked and destroyed by white radical racists with the support of local (white) government and loving air support. Anywhere up to 300 dead, 800 treated at hospital, and massive property damage. Odds are you never heard about it. People thought it was part of the Watchmen timeline.

Nope. Totally happened. Minds were blown as people found out that that bullshit actually happened.

The Watchmen series had some very powerful messages about race, policing, and the role of the exceptional. Highly recommended; episode six was the best hour of media produced that year.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I was just talking about Star Wars on twitter (two terrible ideas that are even more terrible together) and while Star Wars The Franchise isn't specifically going "yeah fascism is great woo!" they do market a shitload of stuff plastered with Space Nazi iconography, and it seems like just about every other Star Wars creator working on the property wants you to "see things from the Empire's perspective."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

Like here's a six minute animated trailer for Star Wars Squadrons that's all about this TIE Fighter pilot refusing to give up the fight, presented like he's some cool badass that won't give in even when the odds are against him and it's like hey guys, you know this is the Space Nazi Empire, right? But all the EA Star Wars games are PvP poo poo so that means the Empire is playable, and that means making the Empire appealing to players, etc etc.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

mllaneza posted:

The now-classic example of this is the Watchmen series opening with the Tulsa Massacre of 1921. A prosperous Black community was attacked and destroyed by white radical racists with the support of local (white) government and loving air support. Anywhere up to 300 dead, 800 treated at hospital, and massive property damage. Odds are you never heard about it. People thought it was part of the Watchmen timeline.

Nope. Totally happened. Minds were blown as people found out that that bullshit actually happened.

The Watchmen series had some very powerful messages about race, policing, and the role of the exceptional. Highly recommended; episode six was the best hour of media produced that year.

Tulsa was also shown in Lovecraft country - which had the explicit rule that "anyone who is white is bad" in fact, the character who ends up betraying her friends spends several episodes polymorphing back and forth between a black woman and a white woman, showing her divided loyalties. - which made me happy that you could generate power off lovecraft's grave from all the spinning!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Backed Maquis. I need more single player games in my collection, and it's cheap!

Plus I can always use more training on avoiding the enemy to up my Fury of Dracula game :hmmyes:

jivjov posted:

Rogue One was a 2016 film though.. :thunk:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My friend's game launched yesterday. If you're looking for a simple and customisable dungeon crawl to play with your kids, it's a lot of fun!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cabbagedan/coraquest

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tarnop posted:

My friend's game launched yesterday. If you're looking for a simple and customisable dungeon crawl to play with your kids, it's a lot of fun!

Dan Hughes is a DELIGHT.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Playing Star Wars Legion there is definitely an unfortunate minority who unironically say things like 'Rebels are terrorists' and bringing up that discussion about innocent contractors on the Death Star from Clerks even as that very scene explains why that's something you don't worry about.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

Playing Star Wars Legion there is definitely an unfortunate minority who unironically say things like 'Rebels are terrorists' and bringing up that discussion about innocent contractors on the Death Star from Clerks even as that very scene explains why that's something you don't worry about.

This is definitely the reason that I play the era where both factions are just two slave armies ultimately fighting for the amusement of the evil wizard who rules both sides.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

Backed Maquis. I need more single player games in my collection, and it's cheap!

Plus I can always use more training on avoiding the enemy to up my Fury of Dracula game :hmmyes:
I'm tempted by Maquis for similar reasons (especially shipping being about $5) but with Feast arriving soonish and the single player Batman Kickstarter just around the corner it might be a niche that's filled for me.

Hopefully Batman launches soon so I can compare them before Maquis ends though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Redundant posted:

single player Batman Kickstarter just around the corner it might be a niche that's filled for me.

Go on... :stare:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

look I'm just gonna say that when you're playing Squadrons all the rebels are frigid assholes while the stormtrooper will always wave back at you draw your own conclusions

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The outcry when the Rebels in Legion got Mandalorian troops before anybody else was delicious.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I don't know too much, it's made by the guy who made Sagrada and someone else but it's Batman so I am already sold.

The Kickstarter prelaunch page
The BGG page

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oof Miller's DKR though.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

...and from Cryptozoic. That was certainly a rollercoaster of 'being interested' to 'wonder what excuse they will have for not shipping?'.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Cryptozoic has a bad track record? That's disappointing.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

It certainly isn't great. If you want a hilarious/disheartening read, check out either the comments on their individual KS campaigns, or the game threads on BGG. In short, they typically have interesting ideas, but fall apart either from lack of development or piss-poor rules documents that aren't likely to receive long term support due to the nature of the license.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I wasn't aware of Crypto having any fulfillment problems, though. Their games are generally not my cuppa, but they got points from me way back in the day when they took over fulfillment for The Doom that Came to Atlantic City (aka Cthulhu Monopoly) when the initial KS dude on that took the money and bailed. Their company had zero to do with it but still took over the project and fulfilled everyone's pledges free of charge.

That, to me, earned them a fair amount of goodwill. Not enough to buy any of their mediocre deckbuilders, mind you, but I'll still take a look at anything they put out just because of that move.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, that and Hex TCG earned them a low level fondness from me pretty much indefinitely, although The Doom That Came to Atlantic City wasn't anything special when it arrived and Hex ended up being unsuccessful financially. (Still my favorite digital TCG ever though.)

Sadly, their own direct games output seems mediocre to bad, but, such is life.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I’m so happy for them. I’d been following their bits on the dice tower about it and I was just hoping to see it fully fund. Never expected it to take off like it has.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1707019590/cahoots

A college friend of mine launched a Kickstarter for a heist game in zine format! Game is complete, KS funding is for paying artists and printing/shipping the product

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Any thoughts on Tinner's Tale before it wraps?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Popped in a buck for Tinner's Tale pledge manager access.

Root - Marauder's Expansion - Feb 23rd

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/330149/root-marauder-expansion

quote:

The Warlord is both charismatic and terrifying. He rules over a vast horde of warriors recently arrived to the woodland and is interested only in its domination. To help speed his conquest, he lights massive fires which can spread throughout the woods and destroy the buildings of other factions. The Warlord also interacts with crafted items, which he can plunder from players. These items increase his strength, but also cause him to develop an increasingly fearsome monomania.

The Stone Seekers are strangers to the Woodland, here only to recover the scattered and lost relics of an ancient civilization. The Seekers work to establish way-stations across the woodland and form alliances with other factions in hopes of recovering their relics more quickly. They will often find themselves deep within enemy territory as they search for their relics. Thankfully their finely crafted armor makes them difficult to dislodge.

Both of these factions are suitable to Root's two-player game, bringing the total number of two-player factions up to five without the use of bots.

Root: The Marauder Expansion also introduces a new level to the conflict for the woodland: minor factions! These small factions can be used at any player count and introduce surprising new power combinations as well as a chess-like tension to lower player count games of Root.

Finally, The Marauder Expansion also includes a new set-up draft system suitable for both casual and competitive play.

Was graciously gifted Root for Christmas during the TG Secret Santa thread this year, and finally playing a round this week.

Might pick up all the expansions if they're cheap during this KS :nyoron:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Essentially all the expansions have been very well received. They only exceptions being The Clockwork Expansion and the Vagabond Pack, and those are really just less necessary than actively considered bad. If you're getting Root to the table regularly, Riverfolk and/or Underworld and/or the Exiles and Partisans Deck would be great additions.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Popped in a buck for Tinner's Tale pledge manager access.

Root - Marauder's Expansion - Feb 23rd

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/330149/root-marauder-expansion

Was graciously gifted Root for Christmas during the TG Secret Santa thread this year, and finally playing a round this week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alleycatgames/tinners-trail-a-game-by-martin-wallace

Are you talking about this one?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah Riverfolk + Underworld + Exiles&Partisan would be good grabs, and I wouldn't mind waiting for them along side this new one.

I was. No idea why I had it in my head as 'Tale' :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've wanted a copy of Tinner's Trail for years, I didn't even realize that KS was running. Awesome!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Metro wants 80usd for shipping to Australia.

Dreaming.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Pre-campaign link for Root's new expansion: Marauder, for those interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/root-the-marauder-expansion

Probably the best time to get on the train otherwise everyone and their mom wants to climb on board to try and flip 8 copies at 100% markup.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ooh, Tinner's Trail is a lot of fun. Looking forward to getting that at retail. Any game where you can make pasties is good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Redundant posted:

Cryptozoic has a bad track record? That's disappointing.

I remember seeing the Ghostbusters board game in stores before us Kickstarter backers got ours.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Academia TITAN RPG that got mentioned a little while back launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/psilan/academia-titan?ref=2ncreh&token=7f76b916 High school hijinks AND learning to pilot Voltron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

atholbrose posted:

Ooh, Tinner's Trail is a lot of fun. Looking forward to getting that at retail. Any game where you can make pasties is good.

Friend of mine's response to my dwarf-obsessed rear end showing him the KS: "Ah, of course you'd be into a game where you can dig too deep and too greedily, haha"

This zine is 100% up my alley. PbtA, about the journey home from adventure, features a move called "gaze into the distance". Back Again from the Broken Land

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 5, 2021