Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

So at what point will this discussion be flooded with "gently caress you bootlickers for thinking that this police deserves any praise for being a police"?

I also think that it was a cool maneuver for redirecting their attention away from the area they are trying to protect.

:lol: This was like opening the window in winter and then wondering why it got cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1035218616403128320

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As leftists (statists) it is preposterous to suggest that there should be NO security forces protecting important people, events, and places. Whether you want to call them cops or something else, they are a basic necessity of government. You can hate everything about modern policing and still recognize that security personnel are not inherently bad things that shouldn't exist.

From this short clip, or at least during this short clip, this dude was exactly who we should want to be in that position. There is no contradiction there

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No one is saying there shouldn’t be any security force of any type in America, hth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

No one is saying there shouldn’t be any security force of any type in America, hth.

No one is explicitly saying it but there is a definite unspoken cognitive dissonance that frequently happens

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Not really the thread for this :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not really the thread for this :)

you right

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
Although I hate the shitheads that stormed the capital, I'm also miffed at people who say that the police should have gunned down everyone that entered. If they had done that, instead of seeing a bunch of dipshits fresh from a tailgate party mixed in with a few Unabomber crazies, we would be hearing about them as martyred patriots.

Though, I do get a healthy dose of schadenfreude from the guy who tasered himself in the balls and died of a heart attack. If they had all managed that, I think I would be free of complaint.

One thing I think about in relation to this is when the US embassy in Iran was stormed, which led to the Iran hostage crisis. When the Iranians stormed the gates, the senior security officer chose not to have security fire upon them because he realized they would be overrun anyway and would be ripped to shreds if they had done so.

Here is someone's opportunity to talk about this case being an inside job...which I have no response to.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rasmus posted:

Although I hate the shitheads that stormed the capital, I'm also miffed at people who say that the police should have gunned down everyone that entered. If they had done that, instead of seeing a bunch of dipshits fresh from a tailgate party mixed in with a few Unabomber crazies, we would be hearing about them as martyred patriots.

Though, I do get a healthy dose of schadenfreude from the guy who tasered himself in the balls and died of a heart attack. If they had all managed that, I think I would be free of complaint.

One thing I think about in relation to this is when the US embassy in Iran was stormed, which led to the Iran hostage crisis. When the Iranians stormed the gates, the senior security officer chose not to have security fire upon them because he realized they would be overrun anyway and would be ripped to shreds if they had done so.

Here is someone's opportunity to talk about this case being an inside job...which I have no response to.

Maybe they could have used any of the dozen crowd control munitions used by police on BLM protesters this past summer.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Rasmus posted:

On the otherhand, lmfao if they got their brains splattered

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe they could have used any of the dozen crowd control munitions used by police on BLM protesters this past summer.

Except they didn't have those because God forbid that DoD should loan such stuff out so USCP could use it on conservative white patriots.

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
Yea, their reaction to the BLM protests was horrible. You have no argument from me there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tumble posted:

My friends friends family had* a parrot, and the first time we were going over there to hang out he warned us "just be aware that our parrot is a bit of a dick" and I was a little nervous because like, I'd seen them in pet stores and stuff and they've got a beak that looks like it could take your finger off it wanted to.

(*Actually, given how long parrots live they very well could have it, it was more than 15 years ago and they'd had it for a while but they live like 50 years!)

However, they did not mean that the parrot, Olly, was bitey. The first time I went over there the Olly just stayed in it's cage while we were downstairs smoking weed and playing video games -- I asked about him and my friend said once I'd been over a few times he'd come out and chill, Olly wanted to observe me a couple of times and make sure I wasn't a rowdy child because apparently a child once pulled out one of his feathers and he didn't like them after that. Again, not in a bitey way, like he'd straight up say "No" to coming out if there were rowdy kids around.

The third time I went over there he was totally different. Rather than staring at me from his cage, he was moving around and playing with his toys, just generally being a playful, cool bird. After that, they'd let the parrot out when I was around and it would go around to a few of different perches and again, just do generally neat parrot stuff. I was able to hold it but I didn't really like to because they've got big-rear end claws and I saw him crack open nuts like nothing and I like my fingers. Still, we were cool.

But he's supposed to be a dick, right? Oh, he was. He loved opening things and hiding things; one time he made us miss a movie because he went into my friends pocket and hid his keys. We ended up finding them hung up on the back of a door handle. Remote controls had to go in a specific drawer that locked because otherwise he would spend a lot of effort opening the back and hiding the batteries. Shoes were taken off in the mudroom, if you left them in the kitchen there was a good chance he'd bite the laces in half.

Most of Olly's dickery though, was reserved for the dog. Their dog was a smaller dog with what I'm pretty sure was some jack russell in him so he was pretty energetic and vocal and Olly seemed to love hearing him bark. Olly could talk and Olly could tease. He'd fly over to the keyring (which was one that locked because again, he'd hide them if you didn't) and jiggle the keys and leash... and actually say "Walk time!" and every time the dog would come running, thinking he was getting a walk.

Olly also learned the concept of treats. On the counter there was a jar that had a metal latch on it and he learned how to open it and absolutely loved doing so. They stopped putting like, all the treats in it, but they'd leave a few in there. Dog treats, not bird treats. Why dog treats? Because he loved feeding the dog treats. He would go to his jar, open it, and pull out a treat and drop it on the floor for the dog and whistle and say "treat!" and the dog would be over in a second to get his snack. Most of the time. Sometimes he'd open the jar just because he found it fun, then he'd call the dog over... and just hop around doing what I'm pretty sure was mocking the dog for being tricked and then the dog would start barking and whining and Olly would get a bit louder and it was just really obvious this bird just loving loved fooling the dog.

I always thought it was hilarious but you could tell my friend and his family had grown a bit used to it - you'd hear the bird go "Treat!" and the dog would take off running and then just chaos in the kitchen, a bunch of barking and flapping and whistling and the family would just sorta shake their heads.

He was a cool bird.

That is just the best, smartest bird :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Beachcomber posted:

Or even had the National Guard there before rioting happened, like they did with BLM. There was absolutely zero reason for them not to have additional protection.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Builds Character's Dakar Posts deserve a respost in here. Specifically the trucks.

builds character posted:

DAY ONE

Stage two starts in just an hour and a half!

builds character posted:

DAY TWO
Stage two is the first day of big dunes.

Nasser Al Attiyah with his 4wd toyota is in third, nine minutes back.

Some great pictures from this guy.

Where Kamaz is 17 minutes in front now. Quelle Surprise!

builds character posted:

A little more day two bonus coverage.

I know I keep talking about opening tracks and I think this is one of the best examples of why that matters that I've seen. Seriously, look at that.

It's so much easier than, for example, this.

Of course, easier and easy ain't the same.

That's what the avalanche of time and energy expenditure is often referred to. Like a snowball rolling downhill it all starts small with waking up at 4 AM and riding/driving all day in tough conditions. And then it just gets worse until eventually the real race is between your body's ability to go on and the end of the race. Here's a kamaz that didn't make it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502478&userid=130846

It's up to day 10 now, check it out.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jan 14, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

Luckily for the Ugandan Gamewarden in the following article, it's more about GTFO and away than maintaining a lead for extended distances.
2009 death chase

And come to think of it that Ugandan gentleman is definitely a fit for this thread!

I've seen hippos, at the zoo and stuff (i know), but I have NEVER seen a 17' hippo, and I can't even fathom that. The one in that story looks, like maybe 10-11', tops? That's terrifying

Have some more info!

"...Barr also tried to bite pressure of an adult to measure male hippopotamus, but the attempt was due to the aggressiveness of the man to leave."

Made it sound like he tried to bite the hippo.

blight rhino has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Jan 16, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stolen from the blessed picture thread.

ekuNNN posted:

Young men pose in zoot suits taken from a formalwear shop during the Harlem riot of August, 1943

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Stolen from the blessed picture thread.

Zoot suit riot?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Same year, different riot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_Suit_Riots
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...m_content=77643

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I didn't realise a zoot suit was a real thing. I thought it was just the name of the anthropomorphic suit in that movie about the alien (played by Steve Martin ? Christopher Lloyd ?).

e: it was My Favourite Martian, starring Christopher Lloyd.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Jan 27, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a really good movie based off of the musical stage play of the same name as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M51xwySGNYc

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Zoot suit riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Nono. It's Grapefruit Diet. Throw out the pizza and beer, yo.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/NehmahlCutie/status/1354814961231437838

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

already deleted/behind friends-only wall

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

spookykid posted:

already deleted/behind friends-only wall

I'm watching it right now in your quote. I wish we had those around here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a beetle fly past me in spain once as a kid and it sounded exactly like someone going past on a moped.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is a gif from GTA but coordinating something like this takes a lot of patience. If it was on accident and the scoop was impromptu, that's pretty loving cool.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tO2HXLI

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66GdYFfULqI&t=2152s

whole video is brilliant and extremely badass and definitely worth watching but I stamped a part i like

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

black.lion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66GdYFfULqI&t=2152s

whole video is brilliant and extremely badass and definitely worth watching but I stamped a part i like

Reminds me of the Warren Miller movies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1356317309292470272

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress CPS for what they’re doing to these teachers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ruddiger posted:

gently caress CPS for what they’re doing to these teachers.

For as long as I can remember, which is a long time ( :corsair: ), CPS has been absolute poo poo to teachers and disadvantaged children.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/1357147968328118272

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:pusheen: Human (silhouette) pattern recognition sure is a thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Huh. I just saw the dog and only saw the man after I looked for it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I saw a dude, then I saw a dude with a dog head backpack, then I saw a dog

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gort posted:

Huh. I just saw the dog and only saw the man after I looked for it.

I saw it as a dog instantly and can't see it as anything else.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can briefly see the man if I focus on his head/the dog's tail. But as soon as I move that focus at all, it's back to being a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fartknocker posted:

I saw it as a dog instantly and can't see it as anything else.

I think the level of detail really matters

If you see it in a thumbnail or from far away the man is much more noticeable than the dog

Hell, if I take my glasses off I can't see the dog detail and it looks like a man walking away from camera