Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

do you know where you were a year ago?

Oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Classic WOR today with Dave taking AEW to task for having guys under 30 in a battle royale to Bryan wondering just what the new WWE hire is going to do

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Classic WOR today with Dave taking AEW to task for having guys under 30 in a battle royale to Bryan wondering just what the new WWE hire is going to do

Bryan is right he would not be allowed to cook.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan is right he would not be allowed to cook.

He would be allowed to cook but they'd throw out his food before he could serve it and have to make a new meal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7mba-GFC4

A tribute to Jeff Jarrett's TNA run.

2.99/3

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe Dave Meltzer reported Mario Stunt has a bedtime.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Absolute must listen to Talk is Jericho with Tony Khan. One of the things that makes Jericho a good interviewer is he's kind of a kiss rear end in every interview (at least the wrestling ones) but this goes up to 11 with TK. I'm sure it's somewhat genuine since Jericho does go out of his way to do a lot in AEW, but it's really funny where he'll credit TK for all of this stuff and some of it TK accepts the credit for and some he makes sure to credit talent for taking the ball and running with it, etc.

So it's funny on that level and then there's a lot of stories about running in the pandemic, where various ideas came from and most importantly that the Orange Cassidy trunk spot was planned for the original Lucha Bros vs Best Friends Parking Lot Fight that got cancelled.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1357192219682250752?s=20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://mobile.twitter.com/GreatBrianLast/status/1357193543954165760

:sickos:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
dave's destroying cornette's lil salacious crumb and you truly love to see it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eventually i'm going to meet this mythological "casual viewer" and I will finally understand what any of these people are talking about

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Alaois posted:

eventually i'm going to meet this mythological "casual viewer" and I will finally understand what any of these people are talking about

its like when people talk about the moderate voter from iowa or whatever. fretting about what some theoretical person might like or dislike is the biggest waste of time or just concern trolling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
QAnon is a more credible cult than the Cult of Cornette.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alaois posted:

The person who does not watch wrestling, and for some reason randomly switches between channels like people did back when they had 10 channels over the air broadcast television, happens to land on AEW, thinks "huh, maybe this wrestling thing is interesting" and then is outraged and immediately turned off from the program when the announcers do not properly explain who KENTA is after the run-in

this is the person you must cater to, not people who actually follow wrestling

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

The person who does not watch wrestling, and for some reason randomly switches between channels like people did back when they had 10 channels over the air broadcast television, happens to land on AEW, thinks "huh, maybe this wrestling thing is interesting" and then is outraged and immediately turned off from the program when the announcers do not properly explain who KENTA is after the run-in

one of the tweet replies in that thread was some guy saying that AEW "books for the marks who know what's happening, not for the casual viewer" and it felt like i was looking at the Doom hall of infinite mirrors when there's a missing texture

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Shouldn't this stuff be relegated to The Cornhole?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

QAnon is a more credible cult than the Cult of Cornette.
Forgotten in the more obvious drama of Cornette getting shitcanned from NWA commentary is that they knew their Youtube audience overlapped greatly with AEW and Cornette was a bad fit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God Dave Meltzer gets another fake wife on Observer Radio today :lol:

"Oh gently caress I could be blackballed out of this entire industy."

Edit: Also Dave explaining the Xia Li storyline and the difference between the NXT and AEW universe (dragons exist in one, not in the other) made me realize I wanna hear Dave recap like Dragon Ball Z or One Punch Man or something.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 4, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

listened to last night's Saiyan Observer Radio, Dave had some good poo poo to say for all of us Hyenaholics:

"Of all the guys in the Z-Fighters, I would never recommend anyone necessarily leaving. But I would strongly recommend him leaving it’s not even funny. He needs to get out of there. He is so talented. If he left, he would do great and he is an ex-Desert Bandit. He would do freaking great. They would probably want him back and they would respect him a lot more. I don’t see Lord Yamcha. I don’t even know where he is anymore. I know he’s on the Dragon Team and I know he’s working the World Martial Arts Tournaments but it’s like he’s non-existent.”

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

push piccolo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
SSJ2 Gohan at Cell saga and then move over new stars Gulk Gogan is the main chatacter and gently caress that you thought he wasnt going over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave: This Kaido, they've been building him up as the big monster heel for awhile but they still don't quite think the audience is gonna buy it so they bought in Big Mom to make sure they're covered if things don't work out. Luffy got his new Finisher over though so the mentality is, you know, they beat Kaido and then he can, he can finally get that win over Big Mom at the Elbaf show they've been promoting forever now....
Bryan: Mmmhm. So anyway the question was do you think Edge and Christian will form a tag team again.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

Dave: This Kaido, they've been building him up as the big monster heel for awhile but they still don't quite think the audience is gonna buy it so they bought in Big Mom to make sure they're covered if things don't work out. Luffy got his new Finisher over though so the mentality is, you know, they beat Kaido and then he can, he can finally get that win over Big Mom at the Elbaf show they've been promoting forever now....
Bryan: Mmmhm. So anyway the question was do you think Edge and Christian will form a tag team again.
You don't have to use fake quotes to show Bryan's disinterest in most things that Dave loves, BTE is there every single week.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gunn Goku, Gunn Gohan and Gunn Goten

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Except, like, they *did* explain who he was. Excalibur (I'm pretty sure) identified him as the #1 contender for Mox's IWGP US Championship. That's all the context that's needed!

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Endless Mike posted:

Except, like, they *did* explain who he was. Excalibur (I'm pretty sure) identified him as the #1 contender for Mox's IWGP US Championship. That's all the context that's needed!

I think the idea is that the mythical casual won’t know what iwgp means, and will be so spooked by this combination of letters they don’t understand that they will retreat into the forest never to be seen again rather than just, y’know, googling it. Or just waiting to see what this guy will do on aew tv.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they actually didn't explain anything on the show well enough for new viewers. no one knows what is going on, except for people who remember sting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly I'm still confused on who Jon Moxley even is but I'm too afraid to ask now

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly I'm still confused on who Jon Moxley even is but I'm too afraid to ask now

That just reminded me of the Granny segment where she mentions how much Moxley looks like that Ambrose fella from WWE

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

There should be one commentary role dedicated to explaining what pro wrestling is for the whole show. preferably it should take less than 7 seconds to explain but it absolutely cannot take more than 9 seconds. every single wrestling article on wikipedia used to have a pretty good template for this but they stopped doing it. i remember when you could visit the page for 1995's summerslam and figure out what it was even if you've never heard of hulk hogan. That's what you need on tv

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

What gets me about the constant obsession with explaining the the mythical casual viewer is that other forms of media don’t do that. If a new villain shows up at the end of an episode of Supernatural or whatever, they don’t immediately explain everything about who it is and what their motivation is. Laying everything out anytime something new happens is just bad storytelling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There is no loving way AEW has any significant amount of casual viewers

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What makes you say that? I guess it depends on how causal is defined but from what I've seen they probably have a lot more casual viewers than any other US promotion.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Does the casual viewer even exist and would they care about this? Like, real sports have lots of casual viewers because you can sit down and watch a sport with no real knowledge of the teams, players, or how the teams are doing and it's 100% fine. Wrestling is serial storytelling so if you're just watching it every once and a while that way you're going to understand you don't understand everything. No different than jumping around episodes of the Sopranos or something.

And if you are a casual fan what would make Kenta different from Mox or from Eddie or from Fenix if this is one of your first times watching AEW?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

They got a bunch after the NBA game one time and they all were so confused by the lack of explanation that they just roasted Chris Jericho’s torso.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

duckdealer posted:

What makes you say that? I guess it depends on how causal is defined but from what I've seen they probably have a lot more casual viewers than any other US promotion.

I can’t imagine anyone casually watching wrestling in 2021 and not being a big fan already.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I can’t imagine anyone casually watching wrestling in 2021 and not being a big fan already.

Because of the lack of crowds? That's possible.

I guess I've seen so much anecdotal reporting of people new to wrestling getting into AEW and watching. Also how the AEW ratings are hurt much more than NXT by big non-wrestling events.

Hard to say without lots of specific data though I guess.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Bully Ray is mad at Rey Fenix.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReyPygsterio/status/1357343628566220800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Outside of maybe the Superbowl almost everything on TV or streaming doesn't pull in casual viewers. Media todays is about focused audiences and really about the demo (more so than the past)