Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

what are people using these days, and by "people" I mean silos that absolutely positively literally cannot go to the cloud

Service desk plus. It works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I have a client who needs a very rudimentary ticketing system to replace their ~spiceworks~

on-prem only, literally just needs to to read and send messages to/from exchange

unlimited budget

what are people using these days, and by "people" I mean silos that absolutely positively literally cannot go to the cloud

osTicket?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Track-IT is probably the ticketing system I’ve hated the least out of all the ones I’ve used in my career.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

I feel like taking the 5 minutes its going to take to use a sane security group is more ideal than relying on the machine to always be off.

Yeah, just patch your poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Few things are worse than the person who replies to your email, answers the questions that were asked, and then phones up to say they didn't understand any of it

Potato Salad posted:

I have a client who needs a very rudimentary ticketing system to replace their ~spiceworks~

on-prem only, literally just needs to to read and send messages to/from exchange

unlimited budget

I'd guess at this point you're paying an RT consultant.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
tfw you say a thing and people jump on you, but the second a man says something similar and it's totally perfect and unassailable!!

or when people ask you "we don't know if upgrade will break X" when I've literally written a ten page document examining that exact topic in depth, that the person in question read last week

gently caress offffffff

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

tfw you say a thing and people jump on you, but the second a man says something similar and it's totally perfect and unassailable!!

or when people ask you "we don't know if upgrade will break X" when I've literally written a ten page document examining that exact topic in depth, that the person in question read last week

gently caress offffffff

the worst thing just happened

I was actually wrong.

Well, half wrong, about one thing, and there were two incidents I was complaining about!

But still wrong rip.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
does anyone still use rt for tickets?

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Few things are worse than the person who replies to your email, answers the questions that were asked, and then phones up to say they didn't understand any of it

I'd guess at this point you're paying an RT consultant.

Or spin up OTRS - if you don't need any form of (useful) mobile access to ticketing, it'll do the job with a minimum of fuss, presuming someone on your team can set up a LAMP stack. (LNMP? Not sure if OTRS still uses Apache, we migrated off it 3 years ago).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

the worst thing just happened

I was actually wrong.

Well, half wrong, about one thing, and there were two incidents I was complaining about!

But still wrong rip.

I’m sorry that you have to endure sexism in the workplace. I’ve always wondered what the right thing to do is in those situations.

I’m also sorry something blew up in your face, that’s never fun. Stuff happens though, I recommended something innocuous a few weeks ago that exploded an entire company during testing due to lovely engineering. Should’ve looked more closely at what was happening.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Biowarfare posted:

does anyone still use Track-IT! for tickets?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
poo poo pissing me off today (and since Christmas really):

One of my suppliers thinks we are mates and calls me multiple times per day to "catch up". I thought he was a bit of a knob when he first called to introduce himself and told me how he will always be available to help and "he was still working at the hospital when his wife was in labour". I presume he thought I was one of those "live for work" IT guys when I most certainly am not.

I usually just ignore his calls, but I wasn't paying attention on Monday and picked up. I made the mistake of asking how his Christmas was, and he proceeded to talk at me for 30 minutes about how he left his wife and all the drama with their families.
If the multiple calls per day wasn't bad enough, since Monday he now just sits on the end of the line and lets the phone ring. I sat and ignored it for 7 minutes today before he got bored and rang off.

Getting to the point I am thinking of calling or emailing his manager and seeing if I can get our account reassigned.

He replaced a guy that I actually did quite like too - met up for dinner a couple times when he came down with his family on holiday, only emailed me once a month to check in and best of all, used to send me a £200 Amazon voucher each Christmas.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just block the number

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

poo poo not exactly pissing me off but ughhhhh

Working to get dedicated admin accounts for a few GCP org admins, with allllll the security precautions. One of them was for our VP of engineering, who was very unpleasantly surprised to learn that we don’t enforce 2FA company wide for everyone else. He found out through an accidental comment from the helpdesk guy in question, saying how these accounts have “extra” 2FA protection

We require 2FA it when users get their okta accounts, but then never require them again after that (with the significant exception of GitHub). It’s a profoundly stupid policy that I tried to get changed and was repeatedly shut down..

Being as I have just moved from IT to Engineering, he pings me, asking in disbelief if this is true. I am now forced to loving throw my old manager the IT director under the bus, as he had explicitly prohibited me from going forwards with this.

I tried being as diplomatic as I could, but there’s not many ways to say “I tried but didn’t feel comfortable explicitly going over my manager’s head” without loving over said manager. I

I think this will play okay for me since he said “come to me the next time you see an existential threat that needs to be addressed, you have good instincts” but I absolutely hate being in this position to begin with. I am glad we’re finally getting 2FA. Yikes that it happened this way. Now dearly wish I had gone over my boss’ head six months ago.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 3, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can integrate GCP with Okta which sounds like the way you want to go.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

You can integrate GCP with Okta which sounds like the way you want to go.

that's been done ages ago. The SSO integrations are actually great, largely because I wrote 90% of them. the problem was we made people use 2fa when they signed up to okta, and then never again after that, and every time I tried to change that I was explicitly shut down. I've been loudly complaining about it to everyone who will listen for months, and finally it hits the ears of someone empowered to do something about it and it didn't come from me :/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't feel bad. If your previous manager respected you they wouldn't have put you in that position.

My current boss knows that poo poo is bad and every couple of months we have the "you know poo poo is bad, right?" talk. He knows what I'm saying. Younger me would have just worked stupid hours and ripped it all out, but I just don't have the energy these days.

That's been one difficulty for me at this new job. I'm kinda used to coming into a place and replacing someone. In this instance my boss has been here forever and he got promoted to IT Director and I took over his position. I'm not exposed to management, which is nice, but I also can't go "your previous idiot did bad, prepare to pay lots of money and for thinks to be rocky for 12 months or so, but it'll be much better after."

So instead I just sit here fixing a little at a time. I'm not a patient person and it makes me miserable.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
As I get older I’ve just stopped caring entirely. You don’t care something is hosed up? Me neither.

I’m hoping my new job breaks me out of this terminal career ennui but I kinda doubt it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have one attempt at getting people to do things the right way and if they don't want to that's fine. I just make sure everything is documented.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I see my true flaw is still caring about things. Even on my current team, which I really like, there’s a constant pushback against security items in the name of convenience.

On the plus side our new senior security engineer and I had a very productive 2 hour meeting about the other fifty gaping holes we’ve got. The only reason we didn’t get popped by solarwinds was because it hadn’t been patched in a year and a half.

It still makes me salty that we’re on GCP and not using one of its biggest competitive advantage: project based isolation of services.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It takes a lot of effort to stop caring about things, because it runs counter to your own attitude to doing good quality work. But it's a skill you have to develop or you just destroy your mental health trying to work around bureaucracy for a company who don't want your input.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

poo poo that really pisses me off: "hey your performance eval sucked, and as such we're terminating you immediately or you can resign in lieu of so you don't pull some evil sysadmin poo poo and break everything"

Two days later: "hey uh we overpaid you"

(I'm about 99% sure they didn't overpay me and they're bad at accounting, because I took two sick days, the sick time was properly subtracted from that paystub, and all the numbers check out)

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 4, 2021

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
BT Engineer turned up unexpectedly - front of house call me, they are always pissed when you don't pre-book people as my work place is secure.

please please please don't send him away, I'm waiting for an new circuit, I bet that's him... contact is bob - yes that's mine, don't send him away!!!

I get to FoH - do you have the router? Nope - I didn't even know you were coming so assumed you were bringing it... let me go look for it...

Quite a long walk around all the usual places as deliveries end up all over the place if someone decides to search it or whatever, nope, no sign of it. Send the guy away. Bummer.

Not the first time an engineer has turned up before the router - so mildly annoying, but not the end of the world.

But it goes on - Contact my dude who deals with BT for us and says can you check where my router is

BT reply - delivered on 25/01

BT reply again - oh no sorry, it will get to you next week

I mean, come on, it's not like I'm asking anything technical at all, get at least that bit right :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

poo poo that really pisses me off: "hey your performance eval sucked, and as such we're terminating you immediately or you can resign in lieu of so you don't pull some eval sysadmin poo poo and break everything"

Two days later: "hey uh we overpaid you"

(I'm about 99% sure they didn't overpay me and they're bad at accounting, because I took two sick days, the sick time was properly subtracted from that paystub, and all the numbers check out)

poo poo, that is awful. :( Sorry you're dealing with that bullshit.

i am a moron posted:

As I get older I’ve just stopped caring entirely. You don’t care something is hosed up? Me neither.

I’m hoping my new job breaks me out of this terminal career ennui but I kinda doubt it.

I'm not an old greybeard, but I'm not a spring chicken either. I'm in my 30s, been around the block enough times.

I don't like not caring, because it inevitably comes back and makes have to eat a poo poo sandwich. I try to describe my philosophy to IT as "I don't want to have a lovely day." Or more the slightly more complicated, "I will only eat so many poo poo sandwiches."

I have been at places where no one cares and I hate it. They suck to work at. Things are always broken, things always suck. The people who don't care suck to interact with.

If I feel like I can't make any headway and I am eating too many poo poo sandwiches, it's new job time. I'll obviously fluctuate between degrees of caring, but if my day sucks because some jackass didn't budget enough for proper backups, "well you see I documented that problem" doesn't really help me any in that moment.

The Iron Rose posted:

I see my true flaw is still caring about things. Even on my current team, which I really like, there’s a constant pushback against security items in the name of convenience.

On the plus side our new senior security engineer and I had a very productive 2 hour meeting about the other fifty gaping holes we’ve got. The only reason we didn’t get popped by solarwinds was because it hadn’t been patched in a year and a half.

It still makes me salty that we’re on GCP and not using one of its biggest competitive advantage: project based isolation of services.

IMO, hold on to that caring for as long as you can. Once you lose it, it's hard to get back and from my perspective, it makes life miserable if you have any semblance of personal attachment to your craft. As you get older, certainly priorities change and I would assume most get less fulfillment out of their job and more fulfillment out of the rest of your life, but for me, that hasn't been an easy transition and I still find that what I do for a living every day has a big impact on how happy I am.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 4, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting old and not caring anymore is fine, your job shouldn't define your life. Get that paycheck and once 5pm hits completely disengage and go do what actually makes you happy.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Kyrosiris posted:

Pissing me off: this

We're moving from Zendesk to Salesforce for ticketing and every single loving piece of feedback I've filed that isn't a "hey this literally doesn't work" bug report has been essentially WONTFIX'd. The gently caress is the point of user acceptance testing if you're just going to ignore every bit of feedback? :argh:

Why did your company leave Zendesk?

Someone at mine thought Zendesk was too expensive one day so they had another IT admin setup a Redmine install and it's so much more frustrating to use. I get that Redmine might be good for some things, but as a customer facing ticketing system it's way behind Zendesk (but it's 'free'!).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

xzzy posted:

Getting old and not caring anymore is fine, your job shouldn't define your life. Get that paycheck and once 5pm hits completely disengage and go do what actually makes you happy.

I kinda like making the world a better place. As engineers and administrators of complex systems, we have a fiduciary obligation to ensure that the data and information entrusted to us by clients and customers is handled securely with care. The consequences of not doing so are immense.

“Not caring” is not an option. It’s an immoral dereliction of duty and past a certain point, I’d go so far as to call it negligence. In an ideal world, it would be criminally so.

I realize you’re all saying not to break yourself standing against the winds of corporate inertia. There’s value in knowing your limits and abandoning lost causes. But the answer cannot be to give up when faced when opposition.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

So how do you handle major, possibly company-ending outages that occur? Do you get to still leave at 5pm? Do you not get frustrated because that could have been avoided?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

frogbs posted:

Why did your company leave Zendesk?

Someone at mine thought Zendesk was too expensive one day so they had another IT admin setup a Redmine install and it's so much more frustrating to use. I get that Redmine might be good for some things, but as a customer facing ticketing system it's way behind Zendesk (but it's 'free'!).

To unify everything under Salesforce, which has to be the worst ticketing system I've ever used, and that includes "we don't have a ticketing system, people just send meaningless emails to it@university.edu and you go do what they want".

I literally during our UAT testing did a side-by-side comparison of a normal workflow and how things took approximately 4-5x as long to do basic tasks and was told "well, you'll just have to get used to that". :fuckoff:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not an old greybeard, but I'm not a spring chicken either. I'm in my 30s, been around the block enough times.

I’m not even to the exact middle of my 30s yet. I just spent half a decade on a consulting speed run through the worst environments I’ve seen in both the public and private sectors. My cynicism and lack of caring are probably permanent now.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Iron Rose posted:

I kinda like making the world a better place. As engineers and administrators of complex systems, we have a fiduciary obligation to ensure that the data and information entrusted to us by clients and customers is handled securely with care. The consequences of not doing so are immense.

“Not caring” is not an option. It’s an immoral dereliction of duty and past a certain point, I’d go so far as to call it negligence. In an ideal world, it would be criminally so.

I realize you’re all saying not to break yourself standing against the winds of corporate inertia. There’s value in knowing your limits and abandoning lost causes. But the answer cannot be to give up when faced when opposition.

Not sure about criminal liability. Some of the stupidest people I’ve ever met in my life work on these complex systems and you would maybe be amazed how little accountability there is even if we’re talking about some pretty loving serious data.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
When I worked at a “everyone cares too much” company there were way more major gently caress-ups than at the “paycheck and leave at 5pm” places. When you want to not care about your job, paradoxically, you have to be competent enough that you can afford to do that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

When I worked at a “everyone cares too much” company there were way more major gently caress-ups than at the “paycheck and leave at 5pm” places. When you want to not care about your job, paradoxically, you have to be competent enough that you can afford to do that.

So basically what you are saying is that people who care about their job are generally less competent than people who don't care about their job? I'm not sure I buy that.

The specific example that started this conversation was the fact that The Iron Rose's boss was cool with not having MFA on all employee accounts. Sounds like they had access to pretty sensitive data. So you're saying that boss cared too much?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Not sure about criminal liability. Some of the stupidest people I’ve ever met in my life work on these complex systems and you would maybe be amazed how little accountability there is even if we’re talking about some pretty loving serious data.

I’m saying there it should be, not that it is.

A lackadaisical attitude towards security is endemic in our industry. We are in dire need of regulation in order to align security incentives with day to day business operations. The current solution is not working, and now we live in a world where you can *never* trust that information that you put online, whether consensually or otherwise, won’t find its way onto the front page, or the grasping claws of intelligence services.

For the love of God, we have killed the entire concept of privacy! And the solution is to not care?? gently caress that very much.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

People who don’t care are usually okay with the status quo is how I read their point. And I think it’s true, but stagnation is bad for any team/company culture so I wouldn’t say having a bunch of clock punchers is a net positive in any way personally.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m saying there it should be, not that it is.

A lackadaisical attitude towards security is endemic in our industry. We are in dire need of regulation in order to align security incentives with day to day business operations. The current solution is not working, and now we live in a world where you can *never* trust that information that you put online, whether consensually or otherwise, won’t find its way onto the front page, or the grasping claws of intelligence services.

For the love of God, we have killed the entire concept of privacy! And the solution is to not care?? gently caress that very much.

Oh my bad, phone posting. Makes my reading worse :shrug: For what it’s worth I think you attitude is cool and we all need to do what we need to do to get out of bed in the morning and make poo poo happen. I was chasing nothing but money for me and my company for a while and it kinda killed all my optimism. It’s no longer any fun. Hoping I can recapture at least enjoying solving problems.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not the OP, but I don't think 'checking out when your shift is over' necessarily means you don't care at all about your job and do a substandard work. I think what they're likely getting at is that you should do your best during your 9-5, but when your obligation ends, try to enjoy the other parts of your life. Obviously it's great if you feel like you're fulfilling a higher purpose with your work, but your whole life doesn't need to revolve around your job!

Kyrosiris posted:

To unify everything under Salesforce, which has to be the worst ticketing system I've ever used, and that includes "we don't have a ticketing system, people just send meaningless emails to it@university.edu and you go do what they want".

I literally during our UAT testing did a side-by-side comparison of a normal workflow and how things took approximately 4-5x as long to do basic tasks and was told "well, you'll just have to get used to that". :fuckoff:

Ugh, i've never understood why people try to turn CRM's into ticketing systems. Every CRM i've used has also seemed to have way too many steps to do simple things, even when being used as intended. How long until people just go around the ticketing system and just email you directly?

A place I worked purchased a CRM product form Oracle, spent a year implementing it, and then none of the sales staff used it because it was so difficult to navigate, they couldn't make heads or tails of it. So much money and time wasted.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Internet Explorer posted:

So basically what you are saying is that people who care about their job are generally less competent than people who don't care about their job? I'm not sure I buy that.

The specific example that started this conversation was the fact that The Iron Rose's boss was cool with not having MFA on all employee accounts. Sounds like they had access to pretty sensitive data. So you're saying that boss cared too much?

I think people who care a lot are certainly at risk of ending up less competent than their peers, because they will stay in jobs which are soul-sucking and broken, learning nothing except how to firefight, instead of moving on. Not talking about IR here but from my own experience of being and working with people who cared too much. I have no idea whether IR’s problem is a ‘caring’ problem (if nobody else cared at all they would let IR do whatever and fix the problem instead of actively shutting it down... so maybe they care about something else, I dunno.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

i am a moron posted:

People who don’t care are usually okay with the status quo is how I read their point. And I think it’s true, but stagnation is bad for any team/company culture so I wouldn’t say having a bunch of clock punchers is a net positive in any way personally.

For me, I read it more as "if it is obvious that no one above me gives a poo poo, and I can't make enough noise to get it noticed by someone who might, worrying about it impotently is just going to add to my stress levels, so gently caress it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I think people who care a lot are certainly at risk of ending up less competent than their peers, because they will stay in jobs which are soul-sucking and broken, learning nothing except how to firefight, instead of moving on. Not talking about IR here but from my own experience of being and working with people who cared too much. I have no idea whether IR’s problem is a ‘caring’ problem (if nobody else cared at all they would let IR do whatever and fix the problem instead of actively shutting it down... so maybe they care about something else, I dunno.)

Ah, I see. I have seen what you're describing. Basically, people who are perpetually in over their head and have no confidence or idea how to fix it, so they work extra hard as bailing water on the Titanic.