Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah that is really unfair and uncalled for. Just put them on ignore if you hate them so much, no one here wants to know or cares how much you hate someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Why on earth would there be 160 new posts in the movie thread? Did somebody die? Was the cast for FF announced and I missed it?"

No. It was none of those.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It seems I upset some people with my insistence that these stories shouldn't be made exclusively for adult audiences. Outside of some admitted brusque anger on my part, I don't really understand why; I thought I left plenty of leeway for things like Logan or Deadpool or hell, even the Snyder Cut to exist. I just don't think needless gore and swearing and grimness really adds anything to these stories 98% of the time, and in the process you make it harder for children to be able to watch it. Part of me thinks that's the whole point, to deny these things to children so that they become more adult automatically. That's probably too uncharitable.

I do think going "well, kids like Robocop, so it's fine!" is missing the point entirely. Yeah, some of them can. But adults can enjoy childish things too. Demanding these properties cater only to you is selfish and I'm going to stand by that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No one is demanding stuff. They are just saying there is room for both.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

achillesforever6 posted:

What throws me off is Sisyphus kind of had it coming in his punishment, while Superman is kind of an inherently good being

understandable - Camus' original Sisyphus metaphor is more about absurdism and confronting an amoral universe that doesn't make sense, and carrying on regardless

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like it or not, the live-action tellings of these stories in a modern context are virtually always positioned as "definitive" versions of the characters just by virtue of their popularity. The thing that brought this on was the possibility of The Batman getting an R-rating, which I thought would be bad because the Snyder Cut and the Ultimate Edition of BvS are both also R. You're kind of chasing out younger audiences at that point IMO.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Jesus Christ, dear BSS movie thread:

Maybe try saying "I didn't like it" instead of "It was bad and made wrong" or "I thought it was good" instead of "It was made the way it was supposed to be, all other ways are wrong"
You are not experts and your opinions are not facts.

You people sound like a bunch of squabbling children desperately trying to sound smarter than the next guy, get over yourselves.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just stop posting about posters.

Honestly, I hate the mode of discourse that seems so common both here and in CD, especially when it comes to the Snyder stuff. There's no real discussion, just arguing. It's not just McCoy or Arist, there's this tendency for everyone to need to prove that their take is right and someone else's is wrong. I'm not going to pretend I haven't fallen into that trap myself, but it's definitely something I've been trying to be mindful of. There's room in every movie for multiple interpretations, both positive and negative, and neither negates the other.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

"won't somebody think of the children" is essentially a concern troll, intentionally or otherwise. any argument can be refuted while disclaiming ownership because it's "younger audiences" who have all these problems and objections. I think people respond poorly because it's an inherently vague and slippery argument

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lt. Danger posted:

"won't somebody think of the children" is essentially a concern troll, intentionally or otherwise. any argument can be refuted while disclaiming ownership because it's "younger audiences" who have all these problems and objections. I think people respond poorly because it's an inherently vague and slippery argument

I feel like I was very clear, and the spirit of my post wasn't pearl-clutching at all, which is what "think of the children" inherently suggests. I'm just saying if the violence or sex or profanity adds nothing to the movie besides making it more "adult," you're probably making a movie that doesn't need to be rated R, and deciding that it should be anyway to satisfy some juvenile idea of what a movie for adults even is seems lame.

Besides, aren't all the posts claiming that "children are fine with adult stuff" just doing exact same thing you're claiming I'm doing in reverse? Your point isn't really making sense.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 4, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I wonder if people are still talking about Cactus Ja-

:yikes:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Arist posted:

I feel like I was very clear, and the spirit of my post wasn't pearl-clutching at all, which is what "think of the children" inherently suggests. I'm just saying if the violence or sex or profanity adds nothing to the movie besides making it more "adult," you're probably making a movie that doesn't need to be rated R, and deciding that it should be anyway to satisfy some juvenile idea of what a movie for adults even is seems lame.

Besides, aren't all the posts claiming that "children are fine with adult stuff" just doing exact same thing you're claiming I'm doing in reverse? Your point isn't really making sense.

I don't think your post was pearl-clutching at all - I thought it was good, and totally agreed with it. however I sacrificed a goat to Marduk, chief of the Mesopotamian pantheon, before posting and he told me that violence, sex and profanity can be useful and even necessary additions to a story if you want to treat certain topics with honesty and gravity, and no one is adding these things just to be edgy or mature. then he said invoking these phantom third parties is kinda shifty because no one can argue with something entirely within your head, and that's bad posting. I tried to show him some of your other, good, posts, but he said they were old and not the definitive versions of your posting and therefore didn't count. I'd argue with him further but I kinda need my crops fertilised sooo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

why are people like this in here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
e: y'know what, this is what the report button is for

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 4, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Definitivity is fake. This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

e: y'know what, this is what the report button is for

weak! I don't think there was anything meaner than

Arist posted:

Part of me thinks that's the whole point, to deny these things to children so that they become more adult automatically. That's probably too uncharitable.

I do think going "well, kids like Robocop, so it's fine!" is missing the point entirely. Yeah, some of them can. But adults can enjoy childish things too. Demanding these properties cater only to you is selfish and I'm going to stand by that.

or more dishonest than

Arist posted:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Not liking R rated superhero films and thinking it's a shame that kids can't see it is a perfectly valid point of view, it's not one I agree with, but it's a perspective which is fair, and the embarrassing posting implying it is somehow not should stop I reckon.

My own feelings are that context is king here, I'll be excited if The Batman is R-Rated mainly because it is clearly playing with the serial killer murder mystery genre and those typically focus on the gruesome creativity of the villain. It seems appropriate for that story, I do feel something like BvS didn't need to be R as it's mainly just cg blood splatters and the occasional "gently caress", which implies that it's just a quick varnish atop mostly standard superhero content. They wouldn't have been able to release a PG13 version of it if it was otherwise.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Like, do I have to time out this thread every single week?

Stop posting about other posters. If someone is bothering you, report them. I don't give a poo poo about what you think about this thread or people in it or people in a Snyder-cult or people who think he sucks poo poo. Like, there's nothing inherently wrong with some of the conversation of is there room for a rated R Batman movie? But like, empty quoting just to "own" somebody or mocking or coming from another forum just to do one of those two things in completely bad faith is a waste of everyone's time.

That's your warning. You can discuss Snyder without being assholes. Stop posting about posters. If you can't, don't discuss anything at all here!

Now, again, comic book movies, and speaking of Snyder:

How is the general guy from MoS supposed to be Martian Manhunter? I feel like there's nothing there. But apparently that was the plan? Did I miss some foreshadowing?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cartridgeblowers posted:

How is the general guy from MoS supposed to be Martian Manhunter? I feel like there's nothing there. But apparently that was the plan? Did I miss some foreshadowing?

At some point Snyder released a storyboard that revealed it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phylodox posted:

So it's not even actually in the movie? Huh.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Wait, seriously? That's remarkably close to how Supergirl introduced J'onn.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A talking coyote posted:

I wonder if people are still talking about Cactus Ja-

:yikes:

Would you settle for current AEW announcer (and former WCW announcer) Tony Schiavone?

https://twitter.com/tonyschiavone24/status/1077783423933169664?s=20

I don't know; bumping into that thing looks like it'd result in a trip to the hospital.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cartridgeblowers posted:

If there is any foreshadowing it's subtle. Things like his reaction to Superman approaching the glass during the interrogation scene

https://twitter.com/RicardoESegarra/status/1180519935438737413?s=20

and also how there's a classified sign (in green, when they're usually in red) right behind him in this shot

https://twitter.com/pavol_matula/status/1357080594107289601?s=20

Like I said, subtle, if it was planned at all. I don't think Zack ever stated when they decided Swanwick was MM, if it was planned from the start or something that came about when planning the BvS-JL movies.

howe_sam posted:

Wait, seriously? That's remarkably close to how Supergirl introduced J'onn.

Geoff Johns was involved in both the Supergirl show and the JL production. If one was less charitable one might say he got "inspired" by the JL ideas. I am not inclined to give Geoff any benefit of a doubt personally though, but that might be my bias

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Davros1 posted:

Would you settle for current AEW announcer (and former WCW announcer) Tony Schiavone?

I don't know; bumping into that thing looks like it'd result in a trip to the hospital.

Schiavone yelling “IT STIIIIIIIIIINGSSS” 10 times a day trying to navigate around that thing.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

A talking coyote posted:

Schiavone yelling “IT STIIIIIIIIIINGSSS” 10 times a day trying to navigate around that thing.

Should put it upside down and just have it leave bat symbol impressions in the carpet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Phylodox posted:

I understand Snyder has outright confirmed that it will be in his upcoming JL cut. It's certainly a Gay Dumbledore situation in the sense that nothing in either film he's appeared in remotely suggests it, but it's still supposed to have been the plan all along or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

it's still supposed to have been the plan all along or whatever.
There's a scene (deleted scene) in SS or whatever where Waller asks Stanwick "what exactly are you", apparently.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Davros1 posted:

the virgin shin-barker vs the chad-looks-where-he's-going

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCloud posted:

If there is any foreshadowing it's subtle. Things like his reaction to Superman approaching the glass during the interrogation scene

https://twitter.com/RicardoESegarra/status/1180519935438737413?s=20

I mean, that's one guy backing up (a nerdy scientist) and one guy not (a general.)

Colonel Elliot Stabler there shifts but he's not backing down either.

A bright green LED board saying Classified definitely seems like a deliberate choice though. What is the context for that anyway? Is it like an On Air sign, but for top secret phone calls?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I understand Snyder has outright confirmed that it will be in his upcoming JL cut. It's certainly a Gay Dumbledore situation in the sense that nothing in either film he's appeared in remotely suggests it, but it's still supposed to have been the plan all along or whatever.

It’s in his storyboards, those tend to be done before shooting a movie starts, unless you think storyboards work in a different way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Swanwick's identity is basically an easter egg.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, that's one guy backing up (a nerdy scientist) and one guy not (a general.)

Colonel Elliot Stabler there shifts but he's not backing down either.

A bright green LED board saying Classified definitely seems like a deliberate choice though. What is the context for that anyway? Is it like an On Air sign, but for top secret phone calls?

He's not backing down but he does visibly react and looks concerned, and the soldiers in the back react as well. The only one who's not visibly concerned is the general.

I don't recall there being any context for the LED sign at all actually, it's just...there. I don't think it's ever seen again, it's certainly not mentioned or explained.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I have been boring my friends for years telling them that the White Martians storyline from Morrison's run should have been the first Justice League movie, with Manhunter gathering the heroes together to stop the invasion that is already happening. Hearing that Manhunter was supposed to be in the movie just makes me even sadder because there is no way in hell he would have been used for those purposes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Davros1 posted:

I thought I couldn't love Schiavone any more than I already did. His genuine delight and joy every week on Dynamite is so great to hear in these times. Knowing he's also a big nerd is like a cherry on top.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ruddiger posted:

It’s in his storyboards, those tend to be done before shooting a movie starts, unless you think storyboards work in a different way.
The storyboard in question was for Justice League, and Swanwick had already been in two films before that.

I mean, I can grok that they might've entertained the notion of Swanwick being J'onn before that point, certainly, but all the same it made no discernible impact on this character, or anything else, besides him...standing in front of a green thing, once. Maybe twice!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SonicRulez posted:

I thought I couldn't love Schiavone any more than I already did. His genuine delight and joy every week on Dynamite is so great to hear in these times. Knowing he's also a big nerd is like a cherry on top.

You should join us every Weds in the Punch Suplex Pin portion of the board for the Dynamite live posting thread!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dawgstar posted:

"Why on earth would there be 160 new posts in the movie thread? Did somebody die? Was the cast for FF announced and I missed it?"

No. It was none of those.

Same except I thought Disney said gently caress it and released the Black Widow movie on Disney+ or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't know much about Martian manhunter besides supergirl s1, what is the significance of the green classified sign

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

I don't know much about Martian manhunter besides supergirl s1, what is the significance of the green classified sign

It is green, a color that the Martian Manhunter is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh, I was expecting a comic panel reference or something