Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm so glad I shoved a load of money in fixed rate savings before the pandemic, whoowhee

E:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Probably not from the negative interest rates, but however as Guavanaut suggested, free current accounts might be on the way out, so how that used to work in the old days is you had to keep a certain balance in your account everyday through the month to get it free. (It used to be about £100).

Basically, one way or another, they're going to get you.

The mid 80s was when UK banks moved to a model of free accounts subsidised by punishing charges on stuff like unplanned overdrafts.

It's pretty unusual to be honest, in most countries people pay for current accounts and basic banking services.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

Thanks all :)

Looks to depend on the laptop, running something like this will show you what files can be recovered. Reinstalling Windows worked on my newer laptops, but on the older ones it left pretty much all of the old data recoverable.

I'm actually the one buying the 2nd hand laptop so it's not about deleting but making sure nothing was left on it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

peanut- posted:

The mid 80s was when UK banks moved to a model of free accounts subsidised by punishing charges on stuff like unplanned overdrafts.

It's pretty unusual to be honest, in most countries people pay for current accounts and basic banking services.

In Israel you pay a fee every time you withdraw cash from an ATM that isn't attached to a physical bank location. The amount of fees for moving your own money around is eye watering and frankly should be criminal.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

Yeah our way usually ends up being pretty predatory. Though at least most (all?) banks have the option of blocking transactions that would push you into overdraft and incur a charge.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Probably not from the negative interest rates, but however as Guavanaut suggested, free current accounts might be on the way out, so how that used to work in the old days is you had to keep a certain balance in your account everyday through the month to get it free. (It used to be about £100).

Basically, one way or another, they're going to get you.

I do pay for my bank account (£12 monthly) so hopefully I am OK because I really could not deal with losing more of my paycheque.

I am truly sorry to hear that you lost £2200 though :( That really sucks.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Negative interest is mostly not something which is aimed at normal people. It's aimed at banks/insurances. Mayyyyybe pretty rich people who have for some reason really money at the bank (>500k or so) and haven't put it into shares etc.
Banks always stash some of their money at the national banks. This will cost them with negative interest.
In theory, lowering interest rates / going negative should incentivize banks to give that money to someone, ANYONE really, to do something with it (like buy a house or found a new company). But somehow this seems to not work for the last 10-15 years or so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We have now negative interest in Switzerland for a few years; it just means some of my accounts now give me 0 interest instead of like 1% or so.
Obviously if it goes even lower, I would get neg interest too. But you can always go get the money in cash and put it into your bed.

And if you think further about this, this means the whole retirement scheme, which is based on compound interest, is really hosed for anyone below 40 or so. This assumes you have a job, obviously, which isn't that certain anymore too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Opening new fossil fuel plants seems like a total absurdity in 2021 when nuclear technology is right there and can deliver vastly more energy for minimal carbon output, and modern designs can even reuse most of the waste. If I was PM I'd absolutely be shooting for a policy of mass nuclear plant construction, the dismantling of the entire fossil-based infrastructure, and a big retraining programme with workers directly transitioned into new jobs in the sector. The hate vs nuclear is so overwrought and is mostly based on concerns that are only really issues in 1960s/1970s designs (i.e. Chernobyl, Fukushima, Three Mile Island), newer types are safe as houses and despite being a big pop culture thing and lasting a long time radioactive waste can legitimately just be buried in lead where it will cause little if any harm. Actually, now I think about it the Simpsons has a lot to answer for when it comes to shaping collective attitudes towards nuclear power.

Yes! I am Increasingly pro-nuclear. No option is perfect but it seems among the best. I’d love to see a national or multi-national Manhattan Project for safer nuclear and/or fusion power and/or alternative sustainable power sources. That’s what real leadership in the space would be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, if there is any industry that absolutely, 100%, in all cases needs to be directly publicly financed and run it's nuclear energy. You do not want to put corner cutting private sector dumbasses at the helm. Like the rail system it would almost certainly work out cheaper to do it this way too, but despite their love of flag shagging the Tories are ideologically opposed to Britain actually owning any of its own stuff at a pretty fundamental level.
Just have the state buy-to-build a bunch of HPR1000s and bung an English Baroque dome on top and some twiddly bits on the turbine hall to make the NIMBYs happy.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Miftan posted:

I'm actually the one buying the 2nd hand laptop so it's not about deleting but making sure nothing was left on it.

In general there's only one way to safely delete data from a harddisk /ssd when giving it away: you physically destroy it.
Everything other than that means you're not worried about someone being interested in the data. This is the case for most private persons.

Since you're the buyer, your main worry should be potentially illegal stuff or viruses on it. Formatting (not quick format) and new installation should be enough for that and is probably a good idea anyway.
With laptops, be careful of the partition it might have for the install stuff / windows bios / whatever, depending on make/model you might not be able to install Windows on it without that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not a lot.

But for someone like me who is living off savings (had just £500 income over my £60pw work pension in the past 12 months, another 6 years until can get state pension, can't get universal credit, and at 60 is unlikely ever to get another job for a host of reasons (which I did list but turned into a bitter liturgy so I have deleted unposted) it's a disaster.
I've been on negative interest rates for about 3 months now and to see £2200 since November wiped out of your savings for nothing is a bit shite. If I hadn't bought this miniscule flat 3 months before covid, I would be in absolute dog poo now- at least I only have to pay £116pm service charges instead of £600pm rent now (other stuff council tax and so on is about the same.)

PS if anyone wants to hate on me for being 60 and having savings, I had no savings and mammoth credit card debt until I was over 40.

No hate for you! :cheersbird:

Got another 15 years till i get my state pension, took voluntary redundancy last October(yay the end of furlough!).

I didn't sign on for benefits because i would get nothing anyway so now i get to live on what i saved... which appears to be doable atm. :confused:

edit: missed the £2200... that's painfully unpleasant. :(

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 4, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Miftan posted:

In Israel you pay a fee

This is anti-semitic and I've reported you to Keith for being the wrong kind of jew

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I found this! (I am very bored at work.)

https://www.change.org/p/london-mayor-s-office-save-our-scrubs/u/17828051

But that's the best I could Google.

Ah, this is new, I think! Through this that quote can be traced to a response submmitted to a planning committee consultation. Maybe a source might be forthcoming.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

Boot into a live OS environment like Kali from a CD/DVD/USB stick and then write zeroes or random poo poo over the drive (or better yet both) from shell with something like
code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=4096 status=progress
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096 status=progress
Then reinstall windows/whatever.

e: To both questions.

e2: Where X in sdX is the actual drive this is p. important

Btw., blkdiscard is faster / easier / more thorough. On SSDs it just tells the SSD to dump everything at once, which has the nice side benefit of making it faster. On hdds it can be made to zero everything with the -z switch.

It's also on practically every live Linux image you can find.

Also, for getting the right disk: /dev/disk/by-id/ lists disks (and partitions) with type, model number, serial. So it's easier to nuke the right one.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Yes! I am Increasingly pro-nuclear.
Big same, turn this blighted isle into a glowing crater.

Can someone explain for big dumb dumbs like me what negative interest is and how / why it's a big deal? Preferably in a way I can count on my fingers.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Depending on how tight money is, I'd consider replacing the storage (if possible for the laptop model). If it's a HDD, a new SSD will have a massive benefit on real-world performance. If it's already an SSD, it might be not be particularly large compared to current drives, plus you're getting fresh write-life (although I image most laptop users aren't wearing out their SSD that quickly).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can someone explain for big dumb dumbs like me what negative interest is and how / why it's a big deal? Preferably in a way I can count on my fingers.

1. Central Bank says "sure you can store your money with us but instead of giving you interest on it, we're gonna charge you instead"

2. Commercial banks (and private investors thinking of tying up money in bonds/gilts) say "well gently caress that, I ain't paying to store my money, I'm gonna spend it instead" and start lending it to businesses and individuals, or buying poo poo, stimulating growth

3. Economy goes brrrrr

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
3. Economy goes brrrrr

3. House price go up

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So is negative interest a good or bad time to buy a house, if you can?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you're buying a house to live in you should do it when you can and not worry about gaming the system.

If you're buying to let, please step this way for blindfold fitting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm assuming it's a very good time to renew a mortgage to a new fixed rate if it's about to go to variable. I need to do that soon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Low interest rates (negative or not) are an excellent time to borrow money, including mortgages

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm assuming it's a very good time to renew a mortgage to a new fixed rate if it's about to go to variable. I need to do that soon.

Mine is up for renewal in a couple of months. Fingers crossed the third time in a row my payments end up dropping. It's already dirt cheap compared to when I first bought the place (literally hundreds of pounds a month cheaper).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How would that impact us if my wife has a bunch of money in one of them Vanguard things? Not a huge abount, like half a month's wages in case the dog explodes or something.

E: Also we just got a (2 year?) fixed rate mortgage last month (to live in, put the guillotines away), and even if the payments would have fallen, I still maintain with Brexit and covid who knows what the gently caress could have happened to rates. Or the concept of money in general.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 4, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

In general there's only one way to safely delete data from a harddisk /ssd when giving it away: you physically destroy it.
Everything other than that means you're not worried about someone being interested in the data. This is the case for most private persons.

Since you're the buyer, your main worry should be potentially illegal stuff or viruses on it. Formatting (not quick format) and new installation should be enough for that and is probably a good idea anyway.
With laptops, be careful of the partition it might have for the install stuff / windows bios / whatever, depending on make/model you might not be able to install Windows on it without that.

If you're not dealing with a state actor, format and overwrite is more than enough. There's no perverts/identity thieves out there buying up hard drives off ebay and chucking them under an electron microscope.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Like most things it depends. Excellent time to borrow because mortgage rates are as low as they can possibly get. But when mortgage rates are as low as they can possibly get everyone can borrow more so house prices go up.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

peanut- posted:

Like most things it depends. Excellent time to borrow because mortgage rates are as low as they can possibly get. But when mortgage rates are as low as they can possibly get everyone can borrow more so house prices go up.

Right it's a good time to *already own a house*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So what I'm hearing is it's an excellent time to mortgage my house and hide the cash under my mattress?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what I'm hearing is it's an excellent time to mortgage my house and hide the cash under my mattress?

Yes it is.

*starts scouring goddamnedtwisto's effort posts for clues as to where he lives, while sharpening shotgun and balaclava*

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

If you're buying a house to live in you should do it when you can and not worry about gaming the system.

If you're buying to let, please step this way for blindfold fitting.

I'll assume that was a general statement aimed at everyone. :mad:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*starts scouring goddamnedtwisto's effort posts for clues as to where he lives, while sharpening shotgun and balaclava*
I love the idea that he lives somewhere like Knightsbridge or South Kensington, and then in the middle of these gorgeous neighbourhoods there's this towering brutalist monolith and a man sat outside at a table with a sign saying 'my house is the best, change my mind.'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mano posted:

This is uh unnecessarily paranoid even if you're worrying about the NSA, these days, And if you are worrying about them they've already blackbagged your house and installed a keylogger anyway. SSD secure erase if appropriate and overwriting with random junk will be quite sufficient.

Edit: how the hell do you sharpen a balaclava

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I love the idea that he lives somewhere like Knightsbridge or South Kensington, and then in the middle of these gorgeous neighbourhoods there's this towering brutalist monolith and a man sat outside at a table with a sign saying 'my house is the best, change my mind.'

Sat on a motorbike waiting for an opportunity to pop a wheelie and drive off after dunking on people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

This is uh unnecessarily paranoid even if you're worrying about the NSA, these days, And if you are worrying about them they've already blackbagged your house and installed a keylogger anyway. SSD secure erase if appropriate and overwriting with random junk will be quite sufficient.

Maybe they meant knife sharpeners in Balaclava:

https://www.wordofmouth.com.au/vic/balaclava/knife-sharpening

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

Freeze it first.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Does anyone know of a reliable way of not charging myself up with static electricity everywhere I go.
It seems like every year, for a month or two, I'll get a shock from half the metal things I touch while just going about my daily routine.
Turn the tap on - shock.
Move my laptop - shock.
Brush the draining board as I reach for some cutlery - shock.
I've also shorted out some small electric/electronic devices by just touching a metal part of them.

It's really annoying, albeit barely painful, and if there's an easy fix it'd be nice to know it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no perverts/identity thieves out there buying up hard drives off ebay and chucking them under an electron microscope.
If the internet has taught me anything, there's probably perverts with electron microscopes pointing them at random things right now.

e: ^^ case in point

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It's really annoying, albeit barely painful, and if there's an easy fix it'd be nice to know it.
1) Cotton socks apparently help? Nylon and synthetics build up static when you walk apparently.

2) Regularly touch things like radiators to discharge any static you have built up. Do it with the palm of your hands, not the tips of your fingers. The smaller the surface it discharges from, the more painful.

I always seem to get shocks when getting out of cars, which is why I have developed a habit of touching the roof with my palm. Obviously the car salesman meme has made this much more noticeable.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You know I was worried that over the years I've *definitely* given enough info in my posts to find my house with absolutely minimum effort, but the fact you think I live in West London is both reassuring and massively, massively offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes at work I end up with a whole bunch of plastic/mylar packaging rubbing against itself, or possible the plastic wheels on the trolleys, either way it makes the work trolley build up a static charge and the shelving gondolas are either earthed or sufficiently massive that they have their own capacitance and so every time I put something on the shelf I get electrocuted.

It is, indeed, very annoying and the only solution I've had is to fondle the shelving every ten feet.