Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jsoh posted:

Losing? That's a bad strategy, son

that's real good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I aim to win, but find that often I lose.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I think the vast majority of Dominions games I have watched the winner diplo's their way out of early hell wars, snaps up provinces of opportunity and then makes a good grab at the end. Lillis lp with builds being the most noticeable exception.

Of course this is purely confirmation bias which is the most powerful thing in Dominions anyway.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

that's real good advice

start closer to the thrones geez do I have to play this game for you?

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Donkringel posted:

I think the vast majority of Dominions games I have watched the winner diplo's their way out of early hell wars, snaps up provinces of opportunity and then makes a good grab at the end. Lillis lp with builds being the most noticeable exception.

Every mage turn spent fighting is a mage turn not spent researching.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Hermetian posted:

Every mage turn spent fighting is a mage turn not spent researching.

it's this.

wars are a waste of time and energy.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t42

turn 42 brings with it 3 more lanterns from abysia, bringing our total to 6.

hmmm....what's this?

cool, great, okay

yes hahaha yes etc etc

this is a good find for us

we've raised a few blood slaves. this is good because i want to use them soon.

starshine skullcap makes this s2n1 guru an s3n1 guru.

he can do us a solid now

with the conj discount site i walked him to this spell actually only costs 20 pearls.

our other skullcap is over here, boosting this guy from s1 to s2

now he can make one of these

random events:

oh no, gasp

free province defense, it's fine.

as i told ramc we'll have siddhas by next turn but i'll get out a kinnara anyway.

forging one of these, might come in handy

and one of these. you never know

this is a move i'm a little less sure about but i want an out-of-the-box amphibious army, so i'm casting this thrice rn with my yakshini.

anyway

lankafight. he says it was dull. let's look anyway.

for those not "in the know", there are two kinds of fights available on a besieged fortress. if you're inside, you can come out and try to "break the siege", which is what this fight is. if you're outside, you first have to break down the gate and then you can try to "storm the fortress"; if you're on the losing side of getting your fort stormed all your guys inside die with no chance to retreat.

here's lanka's besieging force. sacreds, some undead, some trash.

have we seen these guys, they're ghosts.

looks like yomi's attempting to break siege with a SuperCombatant. I don't like SCs but some folks love 'em

gear

some folks love this sword. makes u think

affliction

here's yomi's plan. soul vortex is quite good, actually

what it does is, it passively sucks up life force from nearby living units and uses it to replenish your health and fatigue, so it's great vs armies of trash

anyway a mosh pit forms around the soul vortex

this goes on for a long, long time

eventually lanka's guys get bored and rout

and the bull and the dai oni get a rematch

the bull scares the oni off pretty much immediately, and i think the oni runs away into an enemy province and dies. arcvasti would have to confirm.

with yomi's attempt to break siege over it's time for lanka to try to retake his fort.

yomi's backup plan is skelespam.

btw here's a bandit, idk if we've seen them. they're yomi's basic troops and they suck

here's everything lanka has that didn't get killed by/run away from the dai oni.

the power.......the majesty......

it's time for lanka's revenge.

all those little numbers are tiny onis hitting the bull's fire shield and self-owning. it's a slaughter.

a fire shield on something big and resilient is one of the game's only counters to skelespam and the bull murders oni and skeleton alike, forcing his way into the fortress

the ballad of the flaming bull

trampling skeletons is tiring and he fatigues out before he reaches the mages. note that he has fatigue 101.

(when a unit has fatigue over 100 they're too exhausted to move or defend themselves)

but the oni are too tired to cast skeletons anymore, either.

a standoff ensues.

the bull gets up for one last charge

they're at the ends of their ropes folks but the writing's on the wall

a desperate last-minute attempt to blind the bull fails. he crushes the mages beneath his hooves. victory.

victory......but at what cost?

anyway. moving on:

we got a scout patrolled out in sauromatia's capital. here's the force that did it.

behold, sauro's immortal goddess

huh, she can't leave the cap. interesting.

yomi patrolled us out too so we can't see the fighting there anymore. oh well.

looks like marverni's making headway vs sauro tho. we'll try to scout, more information on this story as it develops.

that's the turn. we're invading ermor soon and i'll explain the battle plan when we finally move into position. for now it's all logistics, getting stuff where it needs to be.

diplomacy:

talking to lanka
9:39 AM] Tekk: Got the cap back (in joule)
[3:35 PM] filthincarnate: hell yeah
[3:36 PM] filthincarnate: what's your plan now
[3:40 PM] filthincarnate: what's next, for the nation of lanka :microphone2:
3:51 PM] filthincarnate: oh i think i had a scout
[3:51 PM] filthincarnate: haven't watched the fight yet tho
[3:57 PM] Tekk: dull - everything else ran off and the bull trampled everything
[3:58 PM] Tekk: eventually
[3:58 PM] Tekk: Dunno whats next - still a shadow of former glory :p
[3:58 PM] filthincarnate: mmm
[3:58 PM] filthincarnate: could you get those skeletons uw?
[3:59 PM] filthincarnate: how would you like some free provs?
5:01 PM] Tekk: Yes the skellies will head on uw - have 3 or 4 lake provinces near me - aside from that what are you thnking
[5:03 PM] filthincarnate: wellllll
[5:03 PM] filthincarnate: if i invite you to a dogpile will you not tell the recipient
[5:03 PM] Tekk: I always keep my word - so no I wont tell the recipient
[5:04 PM] Tekk: Im not sure how much stuff i have available UW right now but can get some reasonably quickly
[5:05 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay ermor is about to go down very, very hard
[5:05 PM] filthincarnate: ubar is currently creeping stuff into position to elf them
[5:06 PM] Tekk: Nasty
[5:06 PM] filthincarnate: and abysia and i are prepping to come in with stacks
[5:06 PM] filthincarnate: yes
[5:06 PM] filthincarnate: anyway those water provs ermor has to your south
[5:06 PM] filthincarnate: are gonna be extremely undefended
[5:06 PM] filthincarnate: so you could probably walk a bunch of zombies through them
[5:06 PM] filthincarnate: summon a mound king or two and you're golden
[5:06 PM] Tekk: OK will change my turn and build a few more - have about 100 there atm
[5:06 PM] Tekk: with 2 kings
[5:07 PM] filthincarnate: ya
[5:07 PM] filthincarnate: we're not going yet
[5:07 PM] filthincarnate: i'll let you know when
[5:07 PM] filthincarnate: this is ubar's party and we don't wanna step on his surprise
[5:08 PM] Tekk: No worries
[5:09 PM] Tekk: There are neutral provinces due south of me before I hit Ermorian ones
[5:10 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[5:10 PM] Tekk: Was going to take them in a couple of turns - so will stick to that but not do anything suspiscious
[5:11 PM] Tekk: BTW why is TC still alive?
[5:11 PM] filthincarnate: laziness
[5:11 PM] filthincarnate: afaict
[5:11 PM] Tekk: Hahah

talking to ramc:
[3:45 PM] filthincarnate: okay question
[3:45 PM] filthincarnate: do i want a kinnara or do i just want to go straight to siddha
[3:46 PM] filthincarnate: i'll have siddha summoning online by next turn
[3:47 PM] filthincarnate: hmmm
[3:47 PM] Ramc: siddha i think probably. maybe summon a kinnara for the fans
[3:49 PM] filthincarnate: hmmmmmmmmm
[3:50 PM] filthincarnate: i could summon a kinnara rn
[3:50 PM] filthincarnate: the literal only difference is:
[3:50 PM] filthincarnate: kinnara fly
[3:50 PM] filthincarnate: and siddhas technically do not
[3:50 PM] Ramc: yeah. you can show off the diff to the readers
[3:50 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[3:50 PM] Ramc: and perhaps in teaching.... learn something for yourself as well
[3:50 PM] filthincarnate: what if: gently caress the fans :sunglasses:
[3:51 PM] Ramc: we must teach them well
[3:51 PM] filthincarnate: fiiiiiine
[3:51 PM] filthincarnate: i guess kinnara is cheaper
[3:51 PM] filthincarnate: so:
[3:51 PM] filthincarnate: fine

talking to abysia:
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: thank you for the lanterns comrade, that is i believe 6 of 10 so far
[4:12 PM] PurpleXVI: Sending back your elixir this turn, too.
[4:12 PM] PurpleXVI: That's everyone saved that could be.
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: :wow: thank you! :slight_smile:
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: i hope it was helpful
[4:12 PM] PurpleXVI: It was, in fact, saved me several expensive mage nerds.
[4:12 PM] PurpleXVI: Also I now have an Ermor border!
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: will you be interested in ganking ermor in a few turns?
[4:12 PM] PurpleXVI: Please let me know when the fun(tm) begins.
[4:13 PM] filthincarnate: yes ofc :slight_smile:
[4:13 PM] filthincarnate: i'll give you a turn or two of notice so you can get in position
[4:13 PM] PurpleXVI: Unless AI TC suddenly owns me with his last remaining cap defenders or something, absolutely.
[4:13 PM] filthincarnate: ofc
[4:28 PM] filthincarnate: oh would you like the second half of the lantern payment
[4:28 PM] filthincarnate: for the next 10
[4:30 PM] PurpleXVI: Go right ahead, as long as you're keeping track of how many lanterns I've sent you.
[4:30 PM] filthincarnate: i am ofc
[4:30 PM] filthincarnate: 6 of 10 rn
[4:30 PM] filthincarnate: i assume next turn you're sending 3 or 4
[4:31 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay 35f in the mail
[4:31 PM] filthincarnate: so that's the payment for the 2
[4:31 PM] filthincarnate: 20*

talking to ubar:
4:14 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay abysia and i are making final preparations and awaiting your signal
[4:15 PM] filthincarnate: no rush, the more turns i get the more redundancy i can build into my battlemagic
[4:20 PM] YNRN: Alright, cool

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 1, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
That was just one of Sauro's heroes, not their Pretender. You can tell because it doesn't have "X is trying to become a Pretender God and etc etc" at the end. You rube!!!

I'm not really a fan of SCs either, I cobbled that one together out of a dai oni who got trapped in the fort and a bunch of const2 gear, because it was what I had available. He had two purposes: maybe kill the bull, since his 27 defense would let him prance out of the way of trample pretty well, and burn some gems. The fool also routed into enemy territory and died, instead of back into the fort for another round with the bull, but with less chaff harassing his defense down. I'm still mad at him for that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm being very trusting by letting the monkeys keep track of how many lanterns I've sent them, in another game, RealBadDumb, I played as Ulm and managed to score the Steel Ovens and became the world's lantern supplier and because I just kept sending out X number of lanterns per turn, several people ended up getting more they paid for, because the cost in fire gems to me was so resultingly trivial. :v:

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

that strikes me as bad form, and i would never "scam" a friend of mine, in such a way

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Arcvasti posted:

The fool also routed into enemy territory and died, instead of back into the fort for another round with the bull, but with less chaff harassing his defense down. I'm still mad at him for that.
Aren't all combats resolved before routing? I think I had a case where some of my besieging units got routed by a relief effort the turn I assaulted the fortress, and they ended up routing into the fort even though the fort hadn't been taken yet when they routed.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

curtadams posted:

Aren't all combats resolved before routing? I think I had a case where some of my besieging units got routed by a relief effort the turn I assaulted the fortress, and they ended up routing into the fort even though the fort hadn't been taken yet when they routed.

I'm honestly not sure, although that would definitely explain the "rout into the fort the turn after I took it" thing. I also reserve the right to get mad at my pixel peons for any reason, including failing to do the literally impossible.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
all combats resolve before routing ya.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Magic phase battles, movement phase battles, storming phase battles, and even phase battles are separate, and if you rout in an earlier one, you are capable of fighting in the following one if you end up in the right/wrong place. So if you plan to do a surround, make sure to either do it in the same or earlier phase as the main attack, or have enough of a surrounding force that they can handle whatever routs from the main fight.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t43

first things first: we summoned a kinnara

a handsome gentleman.

we're moving him to our growing doomstack

we also reached conj7

s2 + crystal coin + starshine skullcap = s4

and we'll never summon another kinnara again

we're doing this from our conj discount site to reap the 20% savings

what else did we do

we summoned 45 of these ladies. they have awe (4), which is: a very high awe value. otherwise unremarkable but awe goes a long way underwater, where there are no missile weapons and all combat is up close and personal.

random event:

the bad guys

our brave warriors

it goes poorly

whatever, who cares

second, luckier random event:

pretty good. we'll probably never use the shield but you never know.

looks like sauro is now in marv's cap circle. oh, the turn-tables.....

diplomacy:

talking to ermor:
12:53 PM] weedzmin: how's joule going for you
[12:53 PM] weedzmin: this ubar army has been standing on your fort for a while now
[2:40 PM] filthincarnate: it's.......
[2:40 PM] filthincarnate: an ongoing diplomatic situation
[2:41 PM] filthincarnate:
how's joule going for you
eh idk, kailasa's a wonky beast
[2:41 PM] filthincarnate: how about you
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: I've had a scout on that fort for a while waiting for something to happen but they're just.... sitting there. I was curious
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: I'm gonna attempt to take TC and then probably get in a fight with abysia
[2:42 PM] filthincarnate: probably a wise decision
[2:42 PM] filthincarnate: abysia and i have a fruitful trading partnership[
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: all my basic infantry has 5 fire res for some reason? so that should go reasonably well
[2:43 PM] filthincarnate: i saved a bunch of their big mages from disease
[3:03 PM] weedzmin: do you have the capability to make a staff of elemental mastery, or ring of wizardry perhaps
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: hmmmm!
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: let me take a look
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: good news/bad news
[3:03 PM] weedzmin: my chicken god cannot wear the fire booster hat because it does not fit on his chicken head
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: i can make a ring of wizardry, but
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: it will cost you
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: what're you using it for
[3:04 PM] weedzmin: want to cast the fire gemgen
[3:04 PM] filthincarnate: that makes sense
[3:05 PM] weedzmin: I like having fire gems
[3:05 PM] filthincarnate: how many levels do you need to be boosted
[3:05 PM] weedzmin: just 1 more
[3:05 PM] weedzmin: hence elements staff or wizard ring
[3:06 PM] weedzmin: I could research const 8 for one of those boosters but it would take a while
[3:11 PM] weedzmin: so what'll that cost
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: hmmmmm
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: well a ring of wiz, by itself, is 80 pearls
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: and i probably would have to summon something nutty to get there and empower off the back of that, so, honestly? probably more cost-effective to just empowr
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: for you i mean
[3:13 PM] weedzmin: yeah
[3:13 PM] weedzmin: well, I'll ask around
[3:13 PM] filthincarnate: elemental mastery requires either high f/w or high e/a so
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: it's a hard one to find
[3:15 PM] weedzmin: I figured ring of wizardry would be easier since it's fun to take high astral, but luck bless yomi has yet to research const 6
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: last i saw they had yet to research ench5

talking to abysia:
2:51 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay that's 9 of 20, re lanterns
[2:51 PM] filthincarnate: re ermor: he says he's thinking of attacking you anyway spo
[2:51 PM] filthincarnate: probably for the best that we're pre-empting that
[2:51 PM] PurpleXVI: It would be greatly appreciated, yes.
[2:51 PM] PurpleXVI: he does have a bunch of mans on my border but I thought he was just protecting his throne.
[2:52 PM] PurpleXVI: What's the countdown on the attack?
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: he says he wants tc first
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: you're fine
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: either way he should be out of position
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: for ubar's raiders
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: so
[2:52 PM] PurpleXVI: Well good loving luck, Ermor my boy, shoulda moved faster. He had goddamn forever to get there.
[2:53 PM] filthincarnate: honestly?
[2:53 PM] filthincarnate: you could let him get there and then cut him off
[2:53 PM] PurpleXVI: I could, but he'd have to move through one of my provinces to get there, now.
[2:53 PM] PurpleXVI: I wasn't even cutting him off on purpose just "oops there's Ermor oh huh guess he can't get to TC's cap now lol"

talking to ubar:
2:52 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay ermor's moving troops east to attack ai tc and abysia
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: or so he says
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: so should be all clear, for us
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: you have an eta?
[3:02 PM] YNRN: Probably a couple more turns, my guys are moving in though
[3:02 PM] YNRN: I'll also want to pick a few provs to hit with houris and shaytans if I can
[3:02 PM] filthincarnate: ya ofc
[3:03 PM] filthincarnate: when you say a couple more are we looking like 2, 3, give me a ballpark here
[3:06 PM] YNRN: Let's say 3 to be safe
[3:07 PM] YNRN: My shaytans/houris can fly so it shouldn't take them too long and my camels were closer than I anticipated
[3:11 PM] filthincarnate: camels run real far ya
[3:11 PM] filthincarnate: what provs are you thinking of targeting t1, you have an idea yet
[3:13 PM] YNRN: I just sent the orders and I went and dumped all my shaytans out so if things go well I should take like half their empire in one turn
[3:14 PM] YNRN: Lemme figure out how to describe what I'm hitting
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: hell yeah
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: you could just list prov #s
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: if you like
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: i'm mostly asking to coordinate other people/me staying out of your way
[3:14 PM] YNRN: Alright
[3:16 PM] YNRN: 117, 136, 153, 157, 189, 186, 204, 195 (ermors cap), 205, 222, 219, 230, 236, 247
****editor's note: this is a lot of poo poo******
[3:16 PM] YNRN: Is the ones that I should be targeting I think
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: jesus
[3:17 PM] filthincarnate: we should roll him up like a carpet
[3:18 PM] YNRN: He doesn't seem to have any forces hanging out there either except one on a throne province
[3:18 PM] YNRN: So extra convenient
[3:20 PM] filthincarnate: yeah it's gonna be pretty straightforward i think
[3:21 PM] filthincarnate: hmmm be advised that
[3:21 PM] filthincarnate: abysia's corridor in is via 162
[3:21 PM] filthincarnate: i.e. the throne prov
[3:21 PM] filthincarnate: so you may want to leave them an alley or a few provs to scoop up
[3:21 PM] filthincarnate: your choice ofc
[3:23 PM] YNRN: I figure I'll leave them tcs cap and the throne prov and will negotiate further borders once we've got ermor on the downswing
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: as you wish
[3:23 PM] YNRN: But I could leave a corridor to the fort in 144
[3:24 PM] YNRN: I mostly just want 117 for the waste
[3:24 PM] filthincarnate: makes sense
[3:25 PM] YNRN: I will talk with purple more directly after I get into position
[3:25 PM] filthincarnate: ya ofc

re: the convo with ubar: let's call this the "before" picture of ermor, so that we can measure ubar's turn1 success as he tries to mass-take provs.

that's the turn. i'm forging another dwarven hammer. looking to a possible future where i border a gigantic ubar is a little scary, but i think i have an answer. and of course we can't count our chickens before they're hatched.

and we're having our air-random loremaster forge a few of these, because i still have traumamemories of losing that random guru in the fort storm all those turns ago.

oh btw here's how the thrones stand atm.

anyway that's the turn.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Clearly Ermor will tolerate the ancient law of "I got there first, nyah nyah nyah neener neener neener" and not do anything aggressive about me taking TC's cap right in front of him.

lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

12:53 PM] weedzmin: how's joule going for you
[12:53 PM] weedzmin: this ubar army has been standing on your fort for a while now
[2:40 PM] filthincarnate: it's.......
[2:40 PM] filthincarnate: an ongoing diplomatic situation
[2:41 PM] filthincarnate:
how's joule going for you
eh idk, kailasa's a wonky beast
[2:41 PM] filthincarnate: how about you
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: I've had a scout on that fort for a while waiting for something to happen but they're just.... sitting there. I was curious
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: I'm gonna attempt to take TC and then probably get in a fight with abysia

shakespeare levels of dramatic irony

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I feel really bad for Ermor now.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t44

more lanterns from abysia. i forget how many we're up to but i was taking careful notes at the time, so. whatever

we summoned a siddha:

a handsome gentleman.

siddhas are fine mages but here is the real draw:

he's a level 3 priest that can instantly teleport anywhere at any time, for free. this solves an enormous amount of logistical problems for us.

he can also do this:

ideally it will never become relevant. he's a lover, not a fighter.

we'll summon another and then we might stop there for a minute. because a siddha can go from anywhere to anywhere, it doesn't matter where we stash him, so we'll place him in our capital for safekeeping.

in other news: remember this guy?

well his day has finally come.

time to set up our first bloodhunting operation.

let's look around and see what our friends are up to.

looks like agartha's in pan's cap circle. we haven't seen any fights clearly the war is raging.

elsewhere:

the sauro-marverni conflict continues apace. marv has lashed out defensively; let's take a look

this is marverni's army: a pig big, surrounded by smaller pigs (who are still quite large)

note that this boar is starving; that many size 4 pigs must eat a great deal.

(for the uninitiated: a full-grown human being is size 2, and a man on horseback is size 3, so these boars are larger than that)

the bigpig himself is size 6. and it looks like he's holding moak. huh

meanwhile:

lanka patrolled us out of their capital so maybe they're bloodhunting or something? who knows

and yomi's down to the dregs it looks like. just a couple of forts in a sea of sauromatian provinces.

random events:

fine, whatever

pretty good

you call that an ancient treasure?

see, that's more like it.

i'm sure i needn't say it, but: luck scales vindicated once again.

that's the turn. if ubar is to be believed (and i think they are), next turn we'll march to war.

lots of diplochat this turn, here you go:

talking to abysia:
8:38 AM] PurpleXVI: Alright, so Ermor tried to make a move on me this turn. He mind hunted my prophet.
[8:38 AM] PurpleXVI: And, well, then we bumped on TC's cap.
[8:38 AM] PurpleXVI:
[8:39 AM] PurpleXVI:
[8:39 AM] PurpleXVI: He was right that my prophet was headed for the same province but apparently didn't have scout eyes on the much bigger actual force lead by two Anointed.
[12:33 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[12:33 PM] filthincarnate: well done
[12:33 PM] filthincarnate: i've clued in ubar
[12:33 PM] filthincarnate: unclear how well into position he is, i'll ask
[12:33 PM] filthincarnate: you'll have allies soon
[12:34 PM] PurpleXVI: Yeah, this would be a good time for you guys to hit Ermor, because I'm not buying "mind hunt as a warning" for a second. I'm expecting him to get well and properly lined up on our [checks] one-province-wide border shortly.
[12:34 PM] filthincarnate: btw that's 13 of 20 lanterns
[12:36 PM] PurpleXVI: Don't mind me squeezing him for a bribe, by the way, I know he won't go for it, but if I don't at least try, he'll be suspicious.
[12:37 PM] filthincarnate: ya we're all good
[12:37 PM] filthincarnate: i don't imagine you'll sell us out to the guy who nakedly intends to murder you
[12:38 PM] filthincarnate: especially when with us you'll get a lot more out of the deal
[12:38 PM] PurpleXVI: It would have to be one hell of a bribe for me to consider it.

talking to ubar:
12:32 PM] filthincarnate: a dispatch from absyia
[12:32 PM] filthincarnate: ermor bumped them going for tc's cap
[12:32 PM] filthincarnate: intentional bump looks like, so the war's gone hot in that region, officially
[12:35 PM] filthincarnate: abysia also says: "Yeah, this would be a good time for you guys to hit Ermor, because I'm not buying "mind hunt as a warning" for a second. I'm expecting him to get well and properly lined up on our [checks] one-province-wide border shortly."
[12:35 PM] filthincarnate: the "mind hunt" thing is a reference to ermor apparently mind-hunting (failed) abysia's prophet
[12:44 PM] filthincarnate: anyway i am i think ready to go. let me know when you are too.
4:17 PM] filthincarnate: when you tell me you're pulling the trigger i'll script everything and move it to the borders
[4:18 PM] filthincarnate: i've got three stacks equipped for heavy combat
[4:18 PM] YNRN: Alright, probably next turn everyone will be in position
[4:18 PM] filthincarnate: kk
[4:18 PM] filthincarnate: i'll prep to move in next turn then

the following is an excerpt from a conversation in the public chat in the main discord channel. Arcvasti is playing Yomi; weedzmin, aka "the spook king", is playing ermor
[5:46 PM] samog: oh gently caress yeah.
[5:49 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: why :negative:
[5:49 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: why torment me
[5:50 PM] some soup, but with bones: It makes you stronger
[5:50 PM] &rcvasti: in my second game, where I was marverni, I would make thugs out of the eponi commanders with frost brands and vine shields
[5:50 PM] &rcvasti: they worked for a few turns and then died ignominiously
[5:51 PM] &rcvasti: the moral of this story is that having a horse is good
[5:51 PM] chifley: having two horses is better
[5:54 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
It makes you stronger
this is abuse
[5:54 PM] some soup, but with bones: More like a conversation.
[5:54 PM] some soup, but with bones: Just duck.
[5:54 PM] chifley: what is thisfrostbrand torment a reference to @turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢 ?
[5:54 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: abuuuuuuuse
[5:55 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: it's just the sort of dumb poo poo apkallu thinks is good and that is impossible to disabuse them of
[5:55 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: it's like trying to talk to qanon people or something
[5:56 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: they just can't be communicated with
[5:56 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: they will be trying to make indie commanders with greatswords of sharpness into potent weapons until the heat death of the universe
[5:57 PM] chifley: how much awe does my pathless ichtycentaur need to accrue through its heroic ability before I can try to raid with it solo
[5:57 PM] chifley: it is currently awe 6
[5:57 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: you can try now
[5:57 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: it will do fine until it fails one (1) dice roll
[5:57 PM] some soup, but with bones: I don’t think I’ve ever made a great sword of sharpness.
[5:57 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: then it will die
[5:57 PM] a space rock, but scary: arming a strategis w a greatsword of sharpness
[5:57 PM] Ghost Ramc: abuse... or conditioning
[5:57 PM] some soup, but with bones: It needs to accrue: die and then raise it as a mummy amounts of awe.
[5:58 PM] a space rock, but scary: turning it into a mummy would give it an aura
[5:58 PM] a space rock, but scary: what kind of mummy does a size 3 guy turn into
[5:59 PM] cyanidepills: Awe on a mummy shatters immersion. How does it even go?

Enemy: woah dude look at that mummy, it's astonishingly awesome!
[5:59 PM] &rcvasti: I made a greatsword of sharpness recently
[5:59 PM] a space rock, but scary: maybe theyve got like, a golden funeral mask and so on
[5:59 PM] &rcvasti: I had a fort about to be stormed, with a single dai oni trapped inside it
[5:59 PM] a space rock, but scary: just the most eye-catching of bling
[5:59 PM] &rcvasti: and the dai oni had heroic atk/def
[5:59 PM] cyanidepills: Yeah that could work
[6:00 PM] cyanidepills: Mummies do tend to have bling
[6:00 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
and the dai oni had heroic atk/def
how'd it go
[6:00 PM] &rcvasti: so I made a greatsword for the dai oni, to get up to like 27 atk/def
[6:00 PM] &rcvasti: unfortunately the enemy cast howl and he got drowned in wolves until he routed
[6:00 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: i thought howl worked out pretty good for you tbqh
[6:00 PM] &rcvasti: and then he failed to rout back into the fort after breaking siege
[6:00 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: since you did soul vortex
[6:01 PM] &rcvasti: and died
[6:01 PM] &rcvasti: if he'd routed back into the fort then I think it would have gone pretty well though
[6:01 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: you did fine until the bull managed to get through the mosh pit
[6:01 PM] the spook king: oh i saw that lol
[6:01 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: at which point the oni promptly fled
[6:02 PM] &rcvasti: honestly I didn't even notice that I'd researched to soul vortex until that turn
[6:02 PM] the spook king: if i were being moshed by wolves and bulls i would simply slice them apart with my greatsword of sharpness
[6:02 PM] &rcvasti: I thought it was alt7, and I was mostly in alt for the national demon barkskin
[6:02 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: yeah soul vortex was good, i do not think the greatsword did very much work, comparatively
[6:02 PM] a space rock, but scary: would you rather fight a you-sized bull or a bull-sized you
[6:02 PM] &rcvasti: only to find out that most of your oni don't even have fire resistance, so barkskinning them will make them boil under heat from hell
[6:02 PM] the spook king: soul vortex/soul drain with a big fuckoff weapon for hitting big guys that won't fail the MR rolls to get drained is a pretty good setup
[6:02 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: and that bull heals 60 hp a turn or whatever so
[6:03 PM] the spook king: if the oni had fire shield on it might've worked better
[6:03 PM] &rcvasti: yeah I'd forgotten that lanka was still in heavy enemy dominion
[6:03 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: the bull did have a fire shield
[6:03 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: fwiw
[6:03 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: it was whatsit, empowered especially for the occasion
[6:03 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: there will be extensive play-by-play in the forthcoming sslp
[6:03 PM] &rcvasti: I got pretty owned that game
[6:04 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: you're still in it no
[6:04 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: last i saw you were still hanging on
[6:04 PM] &rcvasti: sauromatia had a ginormous border with me, and then attacked me at a very good moment
[6:04 PM] the spook king: I keep forgetting sauromatia is in the game
[6:04 PM] the spook king: somehow haven't scouted them at all
[6:04 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: they are currently in a hellwar with marv
[6:04 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: it's pretty funny
[6:05 PM] &rcvasti: and also with me, whenever I feel like actually smashing oni into them again
[6:05 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: :wow:
[6:05 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
somehow haven't scouted them at all
they and you are the two biggest nations
[6:05 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: idk which is exactly bigger
[6:05 PM] &rcvasti: I think I have rigor mortis now which should help
[6:05 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: you had some research trouble i think, no?
[6:05 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: when sauro came over the border your guys weren't even casting horde of skeles yet
[6:06 PM] some soup, but with bones: So... you made a :sharp: and nothing good happened?
[6:06 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
you had some research trouble i think, no?
iirc this is a Known Yomi Issue
[6:06 PM] &rcvasti: I'm at like ench6 alt6 and nothing else
[6:06 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: mm
[6:06 PM] &rcvasti: the demon priests having divine researcher, and my research pretender, help a lot
6:07 PM] &rcvasti: still won't salvage all the war damage though
[6:07 PM] &rcvasti: even in vanilla I don't think that yomi's research is that bad
[6:08 PM] &rcvasti: you have the foreign rec namanari, and lanterns
[6:08 PM] the spook king: I did pretty good with research as yomi when I played them
[6:08 PM] the spook king: you can make every research booster besides the blood imp
[6:08 PM] jamog "ghost of corbyn" fearton: vanilla yomi's research sucks rear end
[6:09 PM] the spook king: that was also in a game with 69 site frequency so i had a poo poo load of gems, tbf
[6:09 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
even in vanilla I don't think that yomi's research is that bad
so what was the issue then
[6:09 PM] &rcvasti: the issue was that I ended up in a big war and had to use my mages to fight
[6:09 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: ah
[6:09 PM] &rcvasti: and also got my inspirational research pretender killed stupidly, and then used my researchers to call them back
[6:10 PM] chifley: now that's what I call inspiring
[6:10 PM] &rcvasti: before sauromatia invaded my research was good
[6:10 PM] chifley: inspiration itself
[6:11 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
before sauromatia invaded my research was good
what were you researching?
[6:11 PM] &rcvasti: turn one making two demon priests is like +14 rp counting magic and the sage, and then they both go out and make temples to get more demon priests into the cap
[6:11 PM] &rcvasti: it was like uh
[6:11 PM] &rcvasti: alt2->ench3->conj3->const3 at first
[6:12 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: mmm
[6:12 PM] &rcvasti: I think I got all of those when I invaded lanka on turn 18ish
6:12 PM] &rcvasti: then I went for ench5, and then made the mistake of going for alt6 instead of straight on to rigor mortis
[6:13 PM] &rcvasti: halfway up alt is when my research died
6:13 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: mmm, ty
[6:13 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: i'm taking notes
[6:13 PM] &rcvasti: I had a pretty solid research plan I think
[6:14 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: anything else you'd like to say to your adoring fans?
[6:14 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: the "yom-heads"
[6:14 PM] the spook king: i've also got a pretty solid research plan, in theory
[6:14 PM] &rcvasti: yes, it's that you shouldn't try to solo expand with a dai oni into some vine men
[6:14 PM] jamog "ghost of corbyn" fearton: jesus
[6:14 PM] &rcvasti: they will die ignominiously
[6:14 PM] the spook king: wondering if i should cast eyes just to look at the graphs
****note: we'd rather he didn't, i think****
[6:15 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: i don't like eyes, personally
[6:15 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: but ymmv i know @Ghost Ramc likes it
[6:15 PM] &rcvasti: spoken by a true cave grub fan
[6:16 PM] Ghost Ramc: eyes is good
[6:16 PM] &rcvasti: anyways if you want more content, check out my youtube channel "Will It Expand?"

excerpt from chat in the public channel for this game, Joule:
8:35 AM] PurpleDCLXVI: I'm very disappointed in you, Ermor.
[8:35 AM] PurpleDCLXVI: My poor prophet.
[8:35 AM] PurpleDCLXVI: Also lol your poor equites.
[10:08 AM] the spook king: timing could've been better
[12:11 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Have you considered that this timing-related issue could have been entirely avoided by not attacking me?
[12:11 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Just a thought.
[12:23 PM] the spook king: well I was attacking tien chi, and not you
[12:23 PM] the spook king: we just happened to have the same idea at the same time
[12:23 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Just coincidentally also mind hunting my prophet.
[12:24 PM] the spook king: i was hoping that would fail and would show you that a mind hunter with a chinese name had attempted to mind hunt you
[12:24 PM] the spook king: but i'll take it
[12:24 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: I mean if that's the tack you want to take, consider that I can be very gullible when paid to be, and can certainly believe in all kinds of intentions for peaceful co-existence.
[4:48 PM] election robot, with a phd: boy i tell ya it ain't easy managing this many hogs
[4:49 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Oh yeah what kind of cool PIG BLESS do you have.
[4:49 PM] election robot, with a phd: its not that cool of a bless iirc i don't actually remember
[4:50 PM] election robot, with a phd: i can tell you what it's not and that's BV
[4:51 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Boo
[4:51 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: lame
[4:51 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: imprison this man for pig crimes
[4:51 PM] election robot, with a phd: i blew up too many druids on my own pigs in a previous game
[4:52 PM] the spook king: accidentally hitting a pig with a meteor and being obliterated

talking to marv:
[10:39 PM] filthincarnate: don't your pigs trample the cav
[10:40 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: i dunno probably actually
[10:41 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: we had one "big" fight which he technically won but all i lost were pigs so its fine
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: okay heads up
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: size4 pigs trample size3 cav
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: it's the reason Larger is so good
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: it lets you trample stuff you normally wouldn't
[10:47 PM] filthincarnate: and ya as long as your pig factories are online you're just playing with house money
[10:47 PM] filthincarnate: but you can probably fearlessly throw giant waves of pigs right over the cav and it should work
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: whereas if you try that with a wall of giants you will just die
[10:48 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: yeah i hear ya htats why i'm not too worried
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: i killed Larger marv as hinnom because hinnom gets size4 giant longdead
[10:48 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: he lost quite a few horsies and dinos and such and i have so many boars of the carnutes and making 1-2 more every turn
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: so i just made walls of them
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: haha
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: how many boars
[10:49 PM] filthincarnate: of the carnutes
[10:49 PM] filthincarnate: like 20+?
[10:50 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: yeah
[10:50 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[10:50 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: tahts why i took mother oak
[10:50 PM] filthincarnate: yeah it seems like it's working out for you
[10:50 PM] filthincarnate: is pan invading sauro too
[10:50 PM] filthincarnate: looks like it
[10:50 PM] filthincarnate: it also looks like agartha has invaded pan
[10:50 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: i dont really know what to research now though. and honestly i dont know

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

looking at it now i bet all the public chatlogs are almost incomprehensible to an outsider, since everyone had their festive halloween name changes

i'll have to trust the sophistication of my audience :shrug:

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t45

we march to war.

three stacks are moving to ermor's border. this is #1.

stack #1 is the big, toothy stack. it's designed to encounter and destroy heavy resistance, and it's headed for ulm's old capital, now under ermor's control.

our old friend the plate glass window is coming out of retirement for the occasion. as you can see he's tougher than ever.

the plan here is, our kinnara leads a communion and casts mass flight

meanwhile our yakshas spam earthquake underneath it. this burns a lot of earth gems but we've got plenty to burn.

howl and celestial music will round out the battlemagic cocktail.

stack #2 will move here; it's the amphibious crew.

this is a minimalist (and, incidentally, all-female) army, designed to murder pd for minimal investment.

stack #3 is moving here, near stack #2, to threaten former-ulm, current-ermor.

this stack is smaller than stack #1, and uses a stripped-down version of its strategy. our siddhas will float serenely in and cast divine blessing/mass flight.

howl and celestial music round it out again. no earthquake here; this is for taking lightly defended forts.

defensively, we have a crew of our cap-only sacreds and a whole bunch of earth mages, plus the flying brick. if ermor decides to lunge at us this is what we'll leverage.

gonna summon another siddha. these guys are expensive but too useful to run out of, they solve so many problems.

meanwhile devasura is finally getting a chance to do what he does best.

random events:

alas

huzzah

law and order......

here's ermor pre-invasion. we'll see what ubar manages to take.

meanwhile lanka is gonna come down via the lakes, he says, and roll up ermor thataway.

ermor has an army here, which should be abysia's problem, and another in the cap. idk if he has any more but i guess we'll find out.

we're rich so we're blowing 500 gold or so on every mercenary party currently available. we'll use them to roll up territory.

current research. going up alt real quick to give my yogis and yakshas something to do besides be communion slaves/cast earthquake.

sauro patrolled my scout out again so idk what's up there. who knows

meanwhile we finally have a border with agartha because he's invaded pan in a big way. maybe we'll finally see some fights.

that's the turn. we're going to war baby

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

meanwhile we finally have a border with agartha because he's invaded pan in a big way. maybe we'll finally see some fights
lol

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
I'm a fan of the diplochat, but get lost when it's multiple people talking without showing the civ name

I am pretty dumb tho

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

GrayDorian posted:

I'm a fan of the diplochat, but get lost when it's multiple people talking without showing the civ name

I am pretty dumb tho

Just stick to only reading the parts with me, they're the coolest and funniest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
iirc, shortly before the events of this game, Dr Bonertron's Marverni got demolished in another game (despite being pretty solidly played) by a few cast of phantasmal army and a troll king thug with an enlarging amulet, which might explain why he's being overly cautious here.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

looking at it now i bet all the public chatlogs are almost incomprehensible to an outsider, since everyone had their festive halloween name changes

i'll have to trust the sophistication of my audience :shrug:

I was trying to figure out why Ramc became a ghost in discord, thank you.

By the way, tried out the flying brick strategy in a test game. Pretty fun. Been slamming mind hunts, earth attacks and amphibious kydnid attacks all day long.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

GrayDorian posted:

I am pretty dumb tho

yeah i'm sorry about that

there isn't that much of stuff like that don't worry

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

FilthIncarnate posted:

yeah i'm sorry about that

there isn't that much of stuff like that don't worry

i mostly include it for retrospective verisimilitude

like i don't want to show me totally reformulating my plan based on something i see that you don't

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t46

war.

the blood hunt goes well.

thanks to abysia's lanterns we went from alt0 to alt5 in a single turn.

as for the war effort, looks like ubar's troops sometimes succeeded in their raids, and sometimes they didn't.

the camels were pretty successful.

he recruited these guys to lead

ubar looks to have split his big camel stack into raiding parties of 20 or so. so that's 4 or 5 raiding crews and they look to have been largely successful.

falcons and arrows.....a potent combination.....

except for this group that totally bounced off of ermor's cap pd. let's watch.

looks like ermor's cap pd gets this guy, whom we haven't seen before.

here's the pd itself. look at those not-romans. pretty good

the standard kamel krew.

the difference between these guys and other pd is, these guys have big shields so they totally shrug off arrows

also this pd has javelins and they totally grease the camels with them

so in addition to the camel raiders ubar also sent a number of uhhhh "thugs". these met with

mixed results.

basically no kit on this guy

this is a trinket, const0. it's.....not good.

so the thug walks, not flies, into melee

it casts one spell, idk what scorching wind does, i guess maybe fatigue damage

unseen is immediately popped by javelins

only now does he fly into melee

where he is immediately stabbed to death because he's naked and they have spears

thugs didn't all do bad tho.

a beautiful jinn concubine. note the lack of magic paths

she flies into melee immediately with no loving around

i think she may have greased the pd commander with her first punch

the ermor pd routs immediately. i think her not walking into javelin range before flying into melee was decisive.

meanwhile on the ermor/abysia border: our scout got patrolled out

or, actually: three scouts got patrolled out, looks like. let's watch

ermor's mighty army. this is one of his two

have we seen these guys yet, they're indies. if not well here you go

hmmmm. what's this?

why, it's a communion!

the augurs are the slaves

looks like one of the masters is a crystal sorceress, dang. he'll have air casters floating around; it might let him manage an earthquake counter.

the augur elders have gems but aren't part of the communion. looks like fire gems only

this random augur is also a communion master

the random augur communion master casts enslave mind on my poor scout and he's instantly mind controlled. this happens to all three scouts patrolled out this turn.

meanwhile on our end we bought all the mercs. here we go.

stack #1 is fully locked and loaded, attacking the ermor-controlled province of ulm. we're set up to murder armies but i don't think anything's actually in theater right now for ermor

see we know for sure that ermor's got two armies

one's here, where our scout got patrolled out

and the other's here, in his cap.

those are both pretty far from the ulm-cracking stack, so i don't anticipate enormous resistance unless he's got something else hiding somewhere.

however ermor's armies are extremely mobile, due to roman roads or whatever, and he could potentially sprint here to attack stack #3. i don't think he will but he could

anyway gently caress it we're attacking here with mercs.

arnaud and his archers, plus a druid and some of his boys. we'll see them next turn

my feeling is that ermor is going to be more concerned about the poo poo in his cap circle. and look, ermor is only 3 provs from kailasa. gives me an idea actually.

we can get conj8 by next turn if we want. rerouting research

and we're gonna make these

five of these

meanwhile in the pan/agartha war agartha's big stack seems to be missing, idk what happened there

ermor's talking a lot about mind hunt so i'll send an s1 yakshini to accompany stack #2, to deter that

meanwhile in the marv/sauro war looks like sauro's making a Big Move

but now it's time for diplomacy.

talking to ramc:
1:51 PM] filthincarnate: the war.....has begun.....
[1:53 PM] Ramc: ...war
[1:56 PM] Ramc: lmao rip shaytan
[1:56 PM] Ramc: didnt even buff
[1:56 PM] Ramc: doesnt he cost like 600 bux
[1:58 PM] Ramc: he did it twice
[1:58 PM] Ramc: at least cast loving mistform my god
[2:36 PM] filthincarnate: right
[2:36 PM] filthincarnate: the houris did better tho
[2:36 PM] filthincarnate: i think because they didn't walk into javelin range and have their unseen popped immediately
[2:36 PM] filthincarnate: and instead flew into melee and kicked rear end
[2:36 PM] filthincarnate: also yes shaytans are very expensive

ermor and abysia talking in the joule chat:
1:12 PM] the spook king: o wow that's a lot of "Our forces defeated the attacking force from Ubar"
[2:38 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Have you considered knocking it off with the drat mind hunts, my good man.
[2:44 PM] the spook king: i probably will now
[3:15 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: You should post some of these victorious battle reports.
[3:15 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: So we all know how weakened Ubar is and how we can all totally fight them now.
[3:16 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Unless you did not, in fact, own a lot of attackers from Ubar.
[3:22 PM] the spook king: it was mostly shaytans and houris bouncing off 5 pd
[3:23 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Oh so you basically made it out unscathed then.
[3:24 PM] the spook king: i lost i think 5 of these battles

[3:24 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: I absolutely believe that statement.
[3:24 PM] the spook king: lots of free fire swords
[3:24 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: How about those demon monkeys, though.
[3:25 PM] the spook king: they moved some skeletons into the lake and i have no reason to believe they'll leave the lake
[3:25 PM]
[3:25 PM] the spook king: because: i will murder any land skeletons
[3:25 PM] &rcvasti: oh jeez were they trying to thug the jinn emirs
[3:26 PM] the spook king: it was entirely shaytans and houris and a few parties of camels
[3:27 PM] the spook king: of this sort

[3:28 PM] the spook king: as it turns out shaytans only have 2 prot and invisible/glamour doesn't help vs javelins
[3:28 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Yeah, okay, that seems like a miscalculation.
[3:28 PM] &rcvasti: being unseen also sucks for thugging in general
[3:29 PM] &rcvasti: you're taking like, 10-20 attacks a turn, so even a +10 bonus to def won't safe you unless your combat stats are ungodly high
[3:30 PM] &rcvasti: the E-random genies that can ironskin are in a bit of a better place, but still no sidhe lords imo
[3:30 PM] the spook king: having a horse is pretty handy, as it turns out

talking to abysia:
3:05 PM] filthincarnate: ubar's over the border, took like 7 or 8 provs looks like
[3:09 PM] PurpleXVI: That's a very powerful elfing.
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: indeed.
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: also i got a look at ermor's army on your borde
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: r
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: it patrolled out my scouts
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: looks like a communion headed by a crystal sorceress and two of the big augurs with fire gems
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: plus the standard units
[3:16 PM] PurpleXVI: lol fire gems
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: ya
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: anyway it looks pretty killable
[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: i'm coming over the border with stacks and mercs
[3:17 PM] filthincarnate: idk what his stack will do
[3:17 PM] PurpleXVI: Yeah, I'm just bringing up some reinforcements since I'd like to have a sure kill rather than a probably kill.
[3:17 PM] filthincarnate: a good idea
[3:17 PM] PurpleXVI: Also an S4 caster to discourage any more goddamn mind hunting.
[3:19 PM] filthincarnate: even s1 probably works for that tbqh
[3:19 PM] PurpleXVI: Yeah but I've got an S4 and no S1's, so.
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: boom

talking to lanka:
3:06 PM] filthincarnate: ubar's over the border, i'm joining in this turn
[3:06 PM] filthincarnate: war's on
[3:07 PM] Tekk: Taking the lake atm
[3:07 PM] Tekk: not exactly hard :p
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: i'd reach out to ubar tbqh
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: seems like he's having mixed success and he might appreciate you submarining to take a few provs on land
[3:37 PM] filthincarnate: haha ermor's talking tough re your skeletons in chat
[3:37 PM] filthincarnate: which means: he absolutely afraid, of your skeletons
[3:53 PM] Tekk: well they aint exactly tough
[3:53 PM] Tekk: i'll speak to Ubar
[3:53 PM] filthincarnate: :thumbsup:

talking to ubar:
3:02 PM] filthincarnate: how'd the alpha strike go
[3:02 PM] filthincarnate: i see some victorious camels
[3:02 PM] filthincarnate: and looks like a houri did some work
[3:05 PM] filthincarnate: we're coming over the border, i think we'll gently caress him up
[4:03 PM] YNRN: My shaytans were not as successful as I would've hoped
[4:03 PM] filthincarnate: hmmm yeah i saw one or two of those
[4:03 PM] filthincarnate: looks like the problem was they walked into javelin range
[4:03 PM] filthincarnate: and the javelins popped their unseen before they got into melee
[4:04 PM] filthincarnate: whereas the houri just flew in and started slicing, so they had better success
[4:04 PM] filthincarnate: btw dude would you want me to forge your guys some gear?
[4:04 PM] filthincarnate: looks like you're just using trinkets
[4:04 PM] YNRN: Yeah I just wanted a sword so they didn't have to punch people to death
[4:04 PM] filthincarnate: mmm
[4:05 PM] YNRN: But ultimately I wouldn't mind more gear
[4:05 PM] filthincarnate: anything particular in mind?
[4:05 PM] filthincarnate: no rush obv game doesn't turn for 48 hours or whatever
[4:06 PM] filthincarnate: but take a look and let me know, we can work something out i'm sure
[4:06 PM] YNRN: Yeah I will
[4:06 PM] YNRN: I think I see what went wrong
[4:06 PM] YNRN: I set them to "attack" once thinking they'd fly to the back immediately
[4:06 PM] filthincarnate: ooooooh
[4:06 PM] YNRN: But it made them walk instead for some reason?
[4:06 PM] filthincarnate: yeah it's
[4:06 PM] filthincarnate: it's scripting baby
[4:06 PM] filthincarnate: idk what to tell you
[4:07 PM] filthincarnate: they try to walk into attack range, idk why
[4:07 PM] filthincarnate: it's useful for mages
[4:07 PM] filthincarnate: sometimes
[4:07 PM] filthincarnate: when you want them to cast a shorter-range spell
[4:07 PM] filthincarnate: make them "attack" one turn and they'll walk forward for a round
[4:07 PM] YNRN: What a weird interaction
[4:08 PM] filthincarnate: illwinter
[4:08 PM] filthincarnate: btw do you have alt3 yet
[4:08 PM] filthincarnate: mistform would be good on shaytan i think
[4:08 PM] filthincarnate: stacks with the other stuff
[4:09 PM] YNRN: Hadn't been thinking about that so no; I thought mistform was just another form of glamour which they already have when unseen pops
[4:11 PM] filthincarnate: it's a different effect
[4:11 PM] filthincarnate: which stacks with glamour/unseen
[4:11 PM] filthincarnate: might be worth a detour
[4:11 PM] YNRN: Well then, yeah I'll probably grab it
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: mmm btw you're moving your camels right
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: i assume they'll sneak about
[4:12 PM] YNRN: Yeah they're gonna keep attacking stuff
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: kk
[4:12 PM] filthincarnate: i think i might try to assassinate some of the leaders of the armies he sends to retake stuff
[4:13 PM] YNRN: Good luck
[4:13 PM] YNRN: Maybe I'll keep my remaining shaytans around to corrupt dudes
[4:13 PM] filthincarnate: an idea for you too ofc, houris and shaytans would be immune to the thing i'm gonna try
[4:13 PM] filthincarnate: ya
[4:13 PM] filthincarnate: but camels would be vulnerable and i don't wanna snipe my ally's bros
[4:14 PM] filthincarnate: anyway the war's just begun, we'll see what his counterpunch looks like
[4:14 PM] YNRN: Yeah

talking to ermor:
5:34 PM] weedzmin: have you considered not doing the thing you're doing
[6:33 PM] filthincarnate: what
[6:33 PM] filthincarnate: being a chill dude?
[6:34 PM] weedzmin: if you could continue doing that rather than piling a bunch of mercenaries into my forts it would be preferred
[6:38 PM] filthincarnate: what mercenaries
[6:39 PM] weedzmin: the ones currently at my borders, with the rest of your large group of magical men, whom were all purchased last turn
[6:40 PM] filthincarnate: okay so you want the mercs to avoid the forts or
[6:40 PM] filthincarnate:
have you considered not doing the thing you're doing
i'm sorry, friend, nothing personal
[6:41 PM] weedzmin: you could always point them into pangaea rather than ermor
[6:41 PM] filthincarnate: i could but then i'd bump agartha
[6:42 PM] filthincarnate: anyway undoubtedly your victory will be swift/merciless
[6:42 PM] filthincarnate: i am, after all, ea kailasa
[6:42 PM] filthincarnate: best of luck
[6:42 PM] weedzmin: maybe if you waited for...... 4 turns, first
[6:42 PM] filthincarnate: what if.....instead.....i did not
[6:43 PM] weedzmin: that would be unfortunate
[6:43 PM] filthincarnate: did you take luck scales
[6:43 PM] weedzmin: with the throne of fortune my luck is at exactly 0
[6:43 PM] filthincarnate: maybe we'll all get lucky
[6:44 PM] weedzmin: are you feelin lucky
[6:44 PM] filthincarnate: i'm a group of men in loincloths
[6:44 PM] weedzmin: i wonder how many magic duels it would take to blow up all of yours or mines astral mages
[6:44 PM] filthincarnate: ya i brought a pile of yogis for the purpose
[6:44 PM] filthincarnate: or i guess several piles
[6:45 PM] filthincarnate: 55 gold apiece, sacred, they're ideal for the purpose
[6:45 PM] weedzmin: should be interesting
[6:45 PM] filthincarnate: agreed
[6:46 PM] filthincarnate: anyway as i said nothing personal, and best of luck

talking to ramc:
[6:46 PM] filthincarnate: ah
[6:46 PM] filthincarnate: ermor has reached out
****i copy/pasted ermor's above convo with me*****
6:51 PM] Ramc: sounds worried~
[6:51 PM] filthincarnate: indeed he does
[6:51 PM] filthincarnate: idk what he's got coming in 4 turns
[6:52 PM] filthincarnate: but we'll just have to do what damage we can before then

talking to abysia:
3:26 PM] PurpleXVI: It would be real funny if Ubar posted his successful battle reports at this point, btw.
[3:29 PM] filthincarnate: he's got a number of them ya
[3:29 PM] filthincarnate: i figure he's asleep atm
[3:29 PM] PurpleXVI: Does sound like he mismanaged his mega-elfing a bit, though.
[3:30 PM] filthincarnate: that's fine
[3:30 PM] PurpleXVI: I mean, true, as long as he does SOME damage and distracts Ermor, it's really to our advantage if it also badly hurts him.
[3:32 PM] filthincarnate: yes
[3:33 PM] filthincarnate: ubar's been a backwards rump state since the game began so the fact that he can't compete with the most powerful player in the game rn doesn't mean a lot
[3:33 PM] PurpleXVI: True. My main war goal here is to take that throne on my border with Ermor. Beyond that it's just loving around and finding out.
[3:36 PM] filthincarnate: well i think you'll definitely get that
[6:53 PM] filthincarnate: ermor has reached out
[6:54 PM] filthincarnate: 5:34 PM] weedzmin: have you considered not doing the thing you're doing
[6:54 PM] filthincarnate: he sounds worried!
[6:57 PM] PurpleXVI: Sounds like a good reason to keep doing the thing you're doing.
[6:57 PM] filthincarnate: agreed.
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: anyway i lost my eyes on his throne stack on your border so
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: keep me posted ya
[7:21 PM] PurpleXVI: Will do, I'm expecting that shenanigans will start up in a turn or two.
[7:22 PM] filthincarnate: we're off to the races now

talking to ramc:
7:01 PM] filthincarnate: hmm okay here's a quesiton
[7:01 PM] filthincarnate: do i mobilize my cap stack too?
[7:01 PM] filthincarnate: or no
[7:07 PM] Ramc: also he might be lying about when his 'surprise' comes out
[7:07 PM] Ramc: may not be 4 turns, etc
[7:07 PM] Ramc: that is a lot of sauro troops
[7:07 PM] filthincarnate: who even knows what it would be ya
[7:07 PM] filthincarnate: i guess maybe vengeful?
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: but he doesn't have the paths
[7:08 PM] Ramc: you could probably snag utonshire with the cap stack
[7:08 PM] Ramc: if nothing else
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: the sauro stack is marv-bound
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: yes i think so but
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: also
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: ermor's cap is like right ther
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: e
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: and what am i bringing with, just earth mages?
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: idk
[7:08 PM] Ramc: yeah gently caress it get him
[7:08 PM] Ramc: earth attackkk
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: hahaha
[7:08 PM] filthincarnate: did you see me making the infrastructure
[7:09 PM] Ramc: I'd say take utonshire
[7:09 PM] Ramc: then see where things stand
[7:09 PM] Ramc: w/r/t cap stack
[7:09 PM] Ramc: if nothing else
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: hmmmm
[7:09 PM] Ramc: he might dome up
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: he absolutely will
[7:09 PM] Ramc: fire/astral
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: he's got crystal zons
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: so
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: he'll make levitation rings
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: if he's bright
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: so here's why i don't want to send the cap stack out:
[7:09 PM] Ramc: ok
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: i kind of want him to extend into an earth attack
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: salvo
[7:09 PM] filthincarnate: does that make sense
[7:10 PM] Ramc: yes
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: like i want him to run around putting out fires
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: get confident
[7:10 PM] Ramc: a token force on utonshire might draw him out
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: and then i hit him with Many Earth Attacks
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: it might
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: what does it consist of, this token force
[7:10 PM] Ramc: its empty so like 20-30 dudes probably ok
[7:10 PM] Ramc: might bait him
[7:11 PM] Ramc: make sure, uh, naba doesnt jump on it too i guess
[7:11 PM] Ramc: or send enough to kill them
[7:12 PM] filthincarnate: i kind want to give naba room to play
[7:12 PM] filthincarnate: like i want him to take as much poo poo as he can
[7:13 PM] filthincarnate: every prov he takes is one i don't have to take from ermor
[7:13 PM] filthincarnate: dude already gutted his own mage corps by botching his alpha strike
[7:13 PM] filthincarnate: so
[7:13 PM] filthincarnate: like he's not powerful
[7:14 PM] filthincarnate: here's a conj8 question:
[7:14 PM] filthincarnate: do i want a devata
[7:16 PM] filthincarnate: anyway i think you
[7:16 PM] filthincarnate: 're right re the cap stack but
[7:16 PM] filthincarnate: i'm gonna leave it for now
[7:16 PM] filthincarnate: idk why i just like having something flexible in reserve
[7:17 PM] filthincarnate: honestly the "surprise" is probably something like firestorm
[7:17 PM] filthincarnate: if i had to guess
[7:19 PM] Ramc: makes sense
[7:19 PM] Ramc: make at least 1 devata imo
[7:20 PM] filthincarnate: they're a t1 mass flight caster
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: the difficulty is: they are alas magic-duel vulnerable
[7:21 PM] Ramc: once ermor is dead it will be less relevant
[7:21 PM] Ramc: B|
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: it's true
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: what's that
[7:21 PM] Ramc: can cast remote A spells
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: bline
[7:21 PM] Ramc: :sunglasses:
[7:21 PM] filthincarnate: mmm
[7:21 PM] Ramc: bespoke emoticons are more pure to me than emojis
7:22 PM] filthincarnate: agreed

talking in main chat:
9:09 PM] some soup, but with bones: You’re saying you have to take A9/F9 at least?
[9:09 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: no i'm just saying having one (1) big air or fire mage is bad, compared to having one (1) big death or water or astral or nature or earth mage
[9:10 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: or blood i guess
[9:12 PM] some soup, but with bones: That is definitely true.
[9:12 PM] thin yellow line punisher skull: its not true at all. do you know how many fireballs you can sling out without getting fatigued when you have big fire???
[9:12 PM] thin yellow line punisher skull: thats called "value"
[9:14 PM] the spook king: big fire is good
[9:14 PM] the spook king: you just need lots of research (like every other big magic)
[9:17 PM] ewie: I think the point is that there aren't single spells in fire worth centering a strategy around
[9:17 PM] ewie: you can't just go "i made a vengeful waters" and your massive W pretender did a good job
[9:18 PM] the spook king: eternal pyre + alchemy + fire storm is worth centering a strategy around!
[9:18 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: :pencil:
[9:18 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: what nation would you go that strat with
[9:18 PM] ewie: abysia :V
[9:19 PM] the spook king: anything with overpriced mages so abysia, sure
[9:19 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: what about ea ermor
[9:19 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: would they be a candidate
[9:19 PM] the spook king: EA ermor, if you took an alchemist pretender such as the chicken titan, would do well with it
[9:19 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: fascinating
***note to self: prep for firestorm****

talking to ramc:
9:21 PM] filthincarnate: okay well
[9:21 PM] filthincarnate: ea ermor just gave away his surprise
[9:21 PM] filthincarnate: so
[9:21 PM] Ramc: go on
[9:21 PM] filthincarnate: warriors of niefelheim is alt8
[9:21 PM] filthincarnate: were you not reading the main chat
[9:21 PM] filthincarnate: weedzmin's ea ermor
9:22 PM] Ramc: so his plan is firestorm + phoenix pyre?
[9:23 PM] filthincarnate: eternal pyre
[9:23 PM] filthincarnate: he hasn't gotten it up yet
[9:23 PM] Ramc: i assume with thug gear to prevent dying instantly after you cast
[9:23 PM] Ramc: passed out etc
[9:23 PM] filthincarnate: but he's basically planning to do with fire gems what i'm doing with earth gems
[9:23 PM] filthincarnate: i'm just doing it faster and better
[9:23 PM] Ramc: wait what is his astral bless
[9:23 PM] filthincarnate: let's take a look
[9:23 PM] Ramc: how much astral does the chicken have
[9:24 PM] filthincarnate:
******abysia's ss of ermor's bless******
[9:24 PM] Ramc: astral 5
[9:24 PM] filthincarnate: enough for magic weaps
[9:24 PM] Ramc: probably
[9:24 PM] filthincarnate: looks like
[9:24 PM] Ramc: you can magic duel the chicken
[9:24 PM] filthincarnate: and mr +
[9:24 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[9:24 PM] filthincarnate: i will absolutely do that
[9:25 PM] Ramc: I paralyzed purple's asphodel armies for a solid year
[9:25 PM] Ramc: because he took chicken titan
[9:25 PM] Ramc: and he knew if he moved it out, i would mind duel it
[9:25 PM] Ramc: but
[9:25 PM] Ramc: if he didnt keep it with his armies
[9:25 PM] Ramc: id mind hunt them
[9:25 PM] Ramc: but yes, a potentially elegant solution
[9:26 PM] Ramc: see how the chicken looks when deployed but
[9:26 PM] filthincarnate: it's less clear-cut because ermor is crawling with astral
[9:26 PM] Ramc: true
[9:26 PM] filthincarnate: like maybe every mage
[9:26 PM] filthincarnate: but: so am i so
[9:26 PM] Ramc: well, nevertheless
[9:26 PM] Ramc: if he is doing this
[9:26 PM] filthincarnate: anyway now i know his plan
[9:26 PM] Ramc: he is probably sending it out lightly supported
[9:27 PM] Ramc: teleporting it into place
[9:27 PM] filthincarnate: hmmm i figured hed just
[9:27 PM] filthincarnate: firestorm with other dudes
[9:27 PM] filthincarnate: like augur elders
[9:27 PM] filthincarnate: which he absolutely can do
[9:27 PM] Ramc: they are so ffeeble
[9:27 PM] Ramc: but perhaps
[9:27 PM] filthincarnate: fine slap a booster on 'em
[9:27 PM] filthincarnate: communion
[9:28 PM] Ramc: how easy can you fire prot up
[9:28 PM] filthincarnate: how much fire res do i need to escape firestorm death
[9:28 PM] filthincarnate: well
[9:28 PM] Ramc: 10 probs
[9:28 PM] filthincarnate: warriors of niefelheim is 5
[9:28 PM] Ramc: 5 helps a good amount
[9:28 PM] filthincarnate: it's probably what i've got
[9:28 PM] Ramc: mass regen too
[9:29 PM] filthincarnate: ooooh
[9:29 PM] filthincarnate: that'll work
[9:29 PM] filthincarnate: hmmm
[9:29 PM] filthincarnate: ench8 eh
9:31 PM] filthincarnate: alternatively
[9:31 PM] filthincarnate: army of gold
[9:31 PM] filthincarnate: same idea i guess
[9:35 PM] Ramc: yes
[9:35 PM] Ramc: bonus prot will help too ofc
[9:37 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[11:20 PM] filthincarnate: okay tentatively
[11:20 PM] filthincarnate: i am also unscripting earthquake
[11:20 PM] filthincarnate: just for rn
[11:20 PM] filthincarnate: on my earthquaking stack
[11:20 PM] Ramc: yea
[11:21 PM] Ramc: fair
[11:21 PM] filthincarnate: ermor has no armies in range
[11:21 PM] filthincarnate: so
[11:21 PM] filthincarnate: like i don't want to blow 40 gems on some crystal zons or whatever
[11:23 PM] Ramc: exactly

okay we're rerouting stack #3. upon reflection that fort on our border is too accessible to an ermor relief army for me to be comfortable, so we're gonna go south and see how ermor reacts.

that's the turn. we're recruiting sacreds from every fort, in anticipation of losses. sounds like ermor's not ready for us so here we go

random events:

we'll take it

order has increased......makes u think

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 4, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rule #1 of Dogpile Club is never be the first person to join Dogpile Club.

The ideal point is two to three turns after the other person goes. Firstly, it means you won't be on the target's borders when the attacking on the other front begins, so they'll feel free to redirect everything towards that fight. This means that when you do come in, you'll be hitting a depopulated front while everyone else has already begun to suffer casualties. Don't forget that most likely whoever's helping you with your dogpile will be your enemy sooner or later, so it's absolutely to your benefit if they have as many costly, painful fights with the dogpile target as possible.

It's also important not to get in too late, of course, so you'll miss out on the better spoils.

But the best thing is if you can talk to the dogpile target, and convince them to give you some things in exchange for you not going whole-hog. After all, the only thing better than fighting for something is getting it for free, and if that gives the dogpile target enough breathing room to turn the tables on whoever you were dogpiling with... well that's just more free real estate when you then betray that person, isn't it? Or maybe you've just gotten two opponents mired in an interminable hellwar that will leave them permanently behind and less threatening.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I appreciate that the people love sodomy enough that banning it creates unrest.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
You posted Nicia battle report twice when commenting on ubar's invasion.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there ever a reason not to put a flying thug in the far back, buff, then attack rear? Assuming you aren't hitting any counter thug mages or cav you're separating the main army from the commanders and then your thug has much less to deal with.

Super weird those thugs just floated face first into javs (unless those guys don't fly at all and I just missed that).
Edit: No they fly, just being lazy I guess.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. If your thug is supposed to blast the enemy pd with big aoe evocations instead of stab them to death, then range matters.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Donkringel posted:

Is there ever a reason not to put a flying thug in the far back, buff, then attack rear? Assuming you aren't hitting any counter thug mages or cav you're separating the main army from the commanders and then your thug has much less to deal with.

In general flying into the midst of the enemy mage corps is suicidal. So many brave thugs lost to a dozen point blank star fires...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Donkringel posted:

The enemy might have fliers that don't need buffs before doing their attack rear who might land on your thug before they can go flying. So if you're expecting anything like that, might be worth it to sandwich them nearer the middle of your formation instead.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Xarn posted:

You posted Nicia battle report twice when commenting on ubar's invasion.

i deleted one, ty

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t47

war.

ermor cast eyes of god. eyes of god is a global that does a couple of things. first it lets you see every province in the game, sort of, insomuch that now you can see who owns what provinces but you can't necessarily see the units contained therein. it gives you hyper-detailed scouting reports but only on provinces inside your own dominion. it lets you see all discovered magic sites, in both your provinces and everyone elses, and i think maybe like income and scales too? and, most importantly, it gives you access to the scoregraphs, which are the game's objective tallies of how people stack up on a variety of objective measures.

personally? i don't like eyes of god and rarely cast it, but some players, like ramc, really like it; a debate could be had on its merits but i usually feel like it's a waste of resources.

anyway because we've been lying about how big we are etc i'm willing to bet ermor posted the scoregraphs in the game chat.

and sure enough:

talking in joule chat:
[9:18 AM] the spook king: you know what time it is

[9:18 AM] the spook king:

*****editor's note: provgraph, measuring the total number of provinces controlled by each player, and how they change over time. note ermor (the purple line) has had a recent steep decline, in provinces, as a result of our war (we're the yellow line)****

****editor's note: income. note, again, ermor's recent steep decline***

****editor's note: gem income. can you see where earth blood deep well kicked in?*****

[9:19 AM] the spook king: and I thought I was researching pretty well

****editor's note: well, you thought wrong, bitch!!!!!*****

[9:20 AM] the spook king: many pigs

****editor's note: as weedzmin, aka "the spook king", points out, marverni has the most units, probably due to his freespawn pigs*****

[9:27 AM] PurpleDCLXVI: But are they sufficiently hellblessed.
[9:31 AM] the spook king: I think it is a pretty normal bless but I haven't seen them in a while
[9:32 AM] the spook king: kailasa also has one of these though that's probably the sort of thing necessary for them to function at all

[9:33 AM] PurpleDCLXVI: Wow, if any nation could make use of that, it would be Kailasa.
[2:36 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: what's that
[2:37 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: conj bonus 20?
[2:37 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: what does it do
[2:39 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: -20% cost on all conjuration spells.
[2:39 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: For all of Kailasa's many national summons.
[2:42 PM] the spook king: you should be summoning more siddhas from it, probably
[2:45 PM] &rcvasti: I also traded turtle like 80 pearls, so likely they're swimming in air dudes at this point
[3:22 PM] the spook king: hosed up
[5:43 PM] election robot, with a phd: Good idea
[6:02 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢:
you should be summoning more siddhas from it, probably
what's a siddha
[6:06 PM] the spook king: how should I know, maybe ask Bater

[6:10 PM] PurpleDCLXVI: Should we, though, maybe he doesn't know himself.
[6:17 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: looks like a handsome gentleman
[6:17 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: i wonder what he does
[6:17 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: probably just chill, relaxed stuff.
[6:19 PM] the spook king: if I had to guess, I would say he 'bates
[6:24 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: idk what that is.
[6:39 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: anyway he's the only one of his kind. a lonely sid.
[6:44 PM] the spook king: there is no need to lie
[6:55 PM] turtle-king of ſomeŞing awful🐢: what's a lie
[7:15 PM] the spook king: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
[7:16 PM] &rcvasti: turtle's going all socratic method on our asses
[9:42 PM] Ghost Ramc: produces a plucked chicken behold: a lie!
[10:14 PM] TechnoWereWolf: Is lutefisk a lie?

anyway. we'll get to the rest of the diplochat later. we launched our invasion of ermor last turn; let's see how it went.

a successful merc party. huzzah

an unsuccessful merc party. alas. let's look closer.

our dopey mercs

arnaud

his archers

vine men

a (frankly lovely) rented mage. two free nature gems tho, and i scripted him to spend them

i didn't realize the pd for this province was barbs. whoops

i had the rent-a-mage cast swarm. in vanilla swarm is great, but in jbbm it's been nerfed.

because in jbbm it summons this thing, which sucks

the bug swarm attacks and gets owned

turns out: barbs are good

we get owned, but: whatever, they're just mercs.

elsewhere:

stack #2 makes...uhhh...not landfall, because they're underwater. but they kill a whole bunch of ermor pd. let's take a look.

our soggy ladies

we cast water ward on them, which buffs their defense

pretty good stats, considering they're fighting in a "deep sea" prov, which applies the darkness debuff to all units.

enemy pd

their stats under darkness, for reference

sharks, ladies, and water elementals, oh my. the battle is a slaughter. we wasted some gems but who cares. kinda brought a gun to a knifefight (which, after all, is better than the reverse).

anyway of course got conj8 this turn, right?

ah..... "8 rp left", huh?

this one's my bad, i must have changed some stuff around after taking the screenshot last turn and uhhh just barely whiffed getting conj8. it's fine it will be delayed by one turn, whatever

besides that one crew of mercs all our armies are successful.

ubar finally managed to take back his fort from us, that we agreed to let him take. boom

random events:

fine, whatever

enjoy researching forever, dork

seems fine. not meriting further investigation.

in other news:

okay see this? this is the primary reason i want blood slaves. these are great, but notoriously hard to forge, because they require the extremely uncommon earth/blood crosspath.

thankfully:

The Flying Brick Does It Again

anyway

this is where i think ermor is preparing his defense: that line of three adjacent forts (the cap, the throne, the one southwest of the throne). there was already an army there, they can move safely between the forts without risking exposure, and the whole thing's stuffed with mages.

we'll keep an eye on it.

those merc parties we killed off left some vacancies in the merc list and:

new merc party just dropped

hmmmmmm

i think that oughta do it

also some more earth boots. just a few. trust me

we cracked the fort so we're storming ulm, here we go. idk if there's a trap here but i feel like no

since we don't anticipate much beyond the fort pd, we'll skip mass flight and have the kinnara cast this instead.

also we're skipping the communion. we're very overequipped for this theater. oh well.

meanwhile stack #3 will move to take this empty fort, our surviving mercs will roll up territory, and we'll see what ermor does

astral yakshini with walk-far boots goes home. rest of stack #2 clears out this indie villain prov from the bad event a few turns ago. should be easy

current globals list btw. we'll want to keep our earth gem count high to recast anything if it comes to that

according to ubar, this is where ermor's other army is right now. coming back from the throne i suppose.

we're also beginning to move yakshas to the province with the rune of earth. it's of immense strategic importance and you'll soon see why

to that end we'll have bater, our unoccupied siddha, make some of these. we'll need our yakshas moving, they're going to be artillery

should be good

meanwhile sauro and marv do their dance of death

we're also making a pair of these, we've got a lot of people to move

boom

that's the turn. we're approaching endgame very rapidly, and soon we're going to make moves toward winning the game outright.

remaining diplochat:

talking to ubar:
[1:09 AM] filthincarnate: we're achieving initial success
[1:09 AM] filthincarnate: honestly idk where his armies are
[1:09 AM] filthincarnate: you seen them?
[1:09 AM] filthincarnate: does he even have any?
[1:18 AM] YNRN: Last I saw his armies were headed towards TC
[1:18 AM] YNRN: Haven't checked this turn yet
[1:21 AM] YNRN: Okay I see his army
[1:21 AM] YNRN: Hes got like 70 dudes in his cap and another 110 out in 189
[1:23 AM] YNRN: Abysia will probably have to help clean up the latter dudes I don't really have the forces to do it myself atm
[1:24 AM] YNRN: Maybe if I send my god or something down there
[2:08 PM] filthincarnate: hmmm okay so the 189 stack must have been on that throne
[2:08 PM] filthincarnate: ty this is helpful, he's bringing his poo poo back in

talking to abysia:
[1:03 AM] filthincarnate: so what's the ermor situation look like on that throne
[2:06 PM] filthincarnate: wanted to "circle back", on this
[2:09 PM] PurpleXVI: Still waiting on my astral caster to get to the front because I don't want to commit all my poo poo while he mind hunts them into oblivion and laughs as a single militiaman kills 1000 gold of troops.
[2:24 PM] filthincarnate: have you not recruited any warlocks
[2:26 PM] PurpleXVI: Not enough also the terrain to get over there sucks poo poo.
[2:26 PM] filthincarnate: simply teleport them
[2:26 PM] PurpleXVI: It's all rough terrain and I gotta move around a mountain range and uuuugh.
[2:26 PM] PurpleXVI: I mean.
[2:26 PM] PurpleXVI: Hm.
[2:26 PM] PurpleXVI: Yeah, okay, I should've thought of that while they were still at a lab.
[2:26 PM] filthincarnate: it's thaum3 dude
[2:26 PM] filthincarnate: for real
[2:26 PM] filthincarnate: what the hell
[2:26 PM] PurpleXVI: I'm sorry you must have mistaken me for a competent player.
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: anyway ubar says he moved his army out
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: true?
[2:27 PM] PurpleXVI: I don't have eyes on any of Ubar's units, so possibly. I guess I could just ask Ermor.
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: v[''.]v
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: no
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: okay
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: so
[2:27 PM] filthincarnate: ubar says
[2:28 PM] filthincarnate: that ermor
[2:28 PM] filthincarnate: moved ermor's army
[2:28 PM] filthincarnate: off the throne
[2:28 PM] filthincarnate: is that the case
[2:28 PM] PurpleXVI: Oooooh, yeah, he moved the bulk of them west.
[2:28 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[2:29 PM] filthincarnate: you should probably have no issues taking his poo poo dude
[2:29 PM] filthincarnate: he's too busy fighting me and ubar
[2:29 PM] filthincarnate: i would move in fearlessly
[2:29 PM] PurpleXVI: Oh, certainly, I can own his troops. It's just the mind hunting I need to be safe from before I make a move.
[2:30 PM] filthincarnate: he's not gonna mindhunt you
[2:30 PM] filthincarnate: he is currently drowning in poo poo
[2:31 PM] filthincarnate: his mages are desperately preparing to fight off me and ubar he has no time to mindhunt on the frontier
[2:38 PM] filthincarnate: anyway

talking with ramc:
2:43 PM] filthincarnate: good news.
[2:43 PM] filthincarnate: the rune of earth prov gets me earth attack on
[2:43 PM] filthincarnate: 4
[2:43 PM] filthincarnate: uw thrones
[2:43 PM] filthincarnate: all currently indie
[2:43 PM] filthincarnate: the plan is:
[2:44 PM] filthincarnate: earth attack them all to death, and send a single siddha holding a ring of waterbreathing to each one, at the same time
[2:47 PM] Ramc: nice
[2:47 PM] filthincarnate: that's 4 thrones. i have 1 rn.
[2:47 PM] filthincarnate: 7 to win
[2:47 PM] filthincarnate: there's an indie on my border, firesnake throne
[2:47 PM] filthincarnate: so i need one from ermor/abysia/ubar
[2:51 PM] filthincarnate: helpful diagram:

2:52 PM] Ramc: seems very doable
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: it is ya
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: i already have 3 siddhas
[2:52 PM] filthincarnate: so if i preserve them successfully i only need 1 more
[2:53 PM] filthincarnate: prophet and flying brick each claim a throne each
[2:53 PM] filthincarnate: 6 thrones, one turn, game ends before anyone realizes i'm close
[3:30 PM] Ramc: sextuple claim...
[3:31 PM] filthincarnate: ya
[3:31 PM] filthincarnate: it's ofc a fragile strat
[3:31 PM] filthincarnate: as if anyone realizes i'm doing it they could simply move to prevent me
[3:32 PM] filthincarnate: but
[3:32 PM] filthincarnate: v[''.]v
[3:32 PM] Ramc: i would simply take all these uw for myself,
[3:32 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[3:32 PM] Ramc: it would be easy, for me
3:33 PM] filthincarnate: ermor has eyes of god up but
[3:33 PM] filthincarnate: he'd have to be specifically checking thrones and stuff
[3:33 PM] filthincarnate: to connect the dots

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

too many images on this page now

you guys should argue about something until we get to page 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Usefulness of attack rear on thugs depends on the enemy mage corps and the disposability of the thug. There are some extremely powerful close range spells that almost never get cast.. unless someone is dumb enough to drop into the middle of a large pack of mages.

I'm contributing. :v: