Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like there's a difference between portal fantasy and isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dante's inferno is isekai.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

Dante's inferno is isekai.

Ah, but is Niven and Pournelle's Inferno?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Does this mean isekai is fanfiction?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
what have you done

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tunicate posted:

I feel like there's a difference between portal fantasy and isekai

Not really, at least in the beginning. Now it’s popular so it’s just a dressing to sell whatever story you actually want to tell.

That story is like 90% harem stories

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

None of those are isekai because they aren't naked power fantasies in which the other world exists to be exploited by the protagonist.

John Carter of Mars and Gor might count then

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Odysseus is fanfiction.

The Iliad is fanfiction. Ever wonder why Achilles sulks in his tent not appearing for large tracts of the story?

He's (possibly) an OC DO NOT STEAL crowbarred into an older story

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Strategic Tea posted:

The Iliad is fanfiction. Ever wonder why Achilles sulks in his tent not appearing for large tracts of the story?

And the Aeneid was taking a minor character from the Illiad and retconning him into a badass who did a ton of cool poo poo, was really super important and impressed the heroes of the previous work, kept arriving in places juuuust after Odysseus left and having his own more impressive adventures etc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

Diomedes is way cooler than Achilles anyway.

Though at the very least Achilles keeps screwing over the Acheans by being a crazy idiot, like the Iliad literally starts with Apollo ruining their day because Achilles won’t give Agamemnon one of his captives so that Agamemnon will return another captive to a priest of Apollo. That’s more negative stuff than you usually get out of an OC DO NOT STEAL.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah but that’s more because the Greeks seem to loving love their characters being weird assholes. They might not see it as a negative

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but that’s more because the Greeks seem to loving love their characters being weird assholes. They might not see it as a negative

Truth in television oral poetry!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

True, but there’s also the scene where Odysseus tries to trick him into getting back in the fight with a false alarm and cleverly placed spear/shield and then calls him out for being a wimp.

It’s a fun story and I’d really like to see a well-done adaptation of it that goes all-in on the crazy poo poo. None of this Troy down to earth movie stuff, I want Achille’s horse telling him he’s gonna die and Hephaestus fighting a river.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mokinokaro posted:

Brooks' Word & Void trilogy is honestly a decent read. Just don't read the set that turns it into a Shannara prequel.

I've read this, I thought it was pretty good overall but it inadvertently shoots itself in the foot in a pretty entertaining way. The first book was set in the US in 1997, with the second set in 2002 and the third in 2012. However, they were all written pre-2000, so the world never evolves beyond the late '90s. The second book has some odd bits that feel out of place in a US that would've still been close to 9/11, but it's super noticeable by the third one, where the world never underwent the surge in cellphone and then smartphone popularity. Like, there's a bit where the power and phone are cut from a character's house and they just deal with the inconvenience because nobody in fictional 2012 is carrying even an old Nokia brick or anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strategic Tea posted:

See also Lancelot, basically a French Mary Sue crowbarred into a much older story specifically for sex appeal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

None of those are isekai because they aren't naked power fantasies in which the other world exists to be exploited by the protagonist.

Not every isekai is a naked power fantasy and some actually critique the idea quite harshly in their own way (Re:Zero immediately comes to mind). There are plenty of shitass ones that are straight-up power fantasies, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What we need is more stories where the isekai protagonist type is just a side character. Like, Star Trek series where one character is a refugee from the early 21st century (like that whale biologist in the movie) and they're just an enlisted rating in a Lower Decks type setup, who's pals with an alien from the gangster planet.

Is Futurama an isekai?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strategic Tea posted:

Funnily enough this is almost certainly not true since Achilles is an attested Bronze Age Greek name.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the theory was that he'd been added by other contemporary Greeks as part of the oral tradition. But it was a long time ago and I don't remember well :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, it's not as if it's a verifiable hypothesis either way.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also Lancelot, basically a French Mary Sue crowbarred into a much older story specifically for sex appeal.

Learning that the French added in the best most chivalrous knight who fucks Arthur’s wife made me really hate him as a character

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Futurama an isekai?
keep posting these questions so I can figure out my isekai alignment chart meme

I got as far as top-left being a real isekai and bottom-right being dante's inferno

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

True, but there’s also the scene where Odysseus tries to trick him into getting back in the fight with a false alarm and cleverly placed spear/shield and then calls him out for being a wimp.

It’s a fun story and I’d really like to see a well-done adaptation of it that goes all-in on the crazy poo poo. None of this Troy down to earth movie stuff, I want Achille’s horse telling him he’s gonna die and Hephaestus fighting a river.

Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller was great book and really played up the whole part where Achilles dresses as a woman to avoid the war. She also treated all the mythological elements as real because that’s the loving story, do it right. But then she’s also a classics teacher, so of course she’d respect the source material rather than Hollywood’s no magic, no homo bullshit.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I like the Iliad, but the things it goes into detail about are odd. Like the chapter where the Greeks form up, with every single city, town, village, and crossroads represented, at great detail. Although I think I recall reading that some of that got added in later, with various authors sticking in their hometown (or their audience's location). Or spending more time on describing Achilles' armor than the actual climactic fight between Hector (tamer of horses) and Achilles.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DACK FAYDEN posted:

keep posting these questions so I can figure out my isekai alignment chart meme

I got as far as top-left being a real isekai and bottom-right being dante's inferno

Futurama is dead center. It's animated but not Japanese, the world is unrecognizable and fantastical but not a different dimension/planet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cobalt-60 posted:

I like the Iliad, but the things it goes into detail about are odd. Like the chapter where the Greeks form up, with every single city, town, village, and crossroads represented, at great detail. Although I think I recall reading that some of that got added in later, with various authors sticking in their hometown (or their audience's location). Or spending more time on describing Achilles' armor than the actual climactic fight between Hector (tamer of horses) and Achilles.

You can see what’s really important to an author by what they go into insane detail about. It’s honestly nice to see that from r writing a lot of stuff hasn’t changed in centuries.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Achilles’ armor is at least really relevant to the plot on top of being super fancy, it’s part of why the Acheans always know when Achilles is on the field with them (and notice his absence when he isn’t), the whole Patroclus thing, etc.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt-60 posted:

My classics prof. used to say that the Homeric epics are like a recording of a jazz session that then got made into a record. Oral story-telling was/is loose and improvisational, and early copies probably would have been a mix of versions people had heard with only a central outline of events shared between them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The bit about “Hector didn’t get stabbed in the windpipe” almost certainly came about because some dick in the audience was like “he’s awfully talky for someone who just got stabbed in the neck!”

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

thetoughestbean posted:

Learning that the French added in the best most chivalrous knight who fucks Arthur’s wife made me really hate him as a character

The first King Arthur story/book I read was for kids, so in it Lancelot was just 'The best knight who did all sorts of neat things like kill evil giants single handedly' and he didn't even have the best story; instead it went to another knight (Geraint? Might have been a take on Gawain's Green Knight story) where the brother of some knight showed up pretending to be a random kitchen guy and King Arthur sent him on a mission to kill some evil color coded knights or something. Anyway, in the last story with Mordred Lancelot is said to be 'in his land across the sea' so he's not there to help out with the final battle. And of course, they don't identify who Mordred's father is. Heck I think Guinevere is barely mentioned in the book.

So a few years later when I actually saw a movie featuring that part of the legend (Merlin and the Sword/Arthur the King, it was), I was incredibly shocked. Lancelot was the noblest of knights, how could he do that with his king's bride! Such is the nature of tales so often retold in so many ways.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of the Iliad, I did do the the first episode of Goon History retelling it in half an hour+ a minute or so for a reading from some guy* if anyone wants a quick rundown.

Not a terrible book, just dense.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956859

The story has a lot of cool side bits about other heroes (ajax and diomedes are my favorites of the non-Odysseus ones) but there's a clear through-line of how the poem works with Achilles that makes me feel the idea of him being a later addition doesn't work.

*Lance Reddick

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Feb 6, 2021

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What we need is more stories where the isekai protagonist type is just a side character. Like, Star Trek series where one character is a refugee from the early 21st century (like that whale biologist in the movie) and they're just an enlisted rating in a Lower Decks type setup, who's pals with an alien from the gangster planet.

I’m reminded of “Fred,” one is the most underrated SCP ideas who is a simple entity that loves participating in books but as a very brief mention because he/it just loves stories so much.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I’m reminded of “Fred,” one is the most underrated SCP ideas who is a simple entity that loves participating in books but as a very brief mention because he/it just loves stories so much.

this sounds very wholesome and if it is not I do not wish to be disabused of this notion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

this sounds very wholesome and if it is not I do not wish to be disabused of this notion.

My favorite ancient Foundation story is when one of the big self important authors finally finished his epic series, and the final scene is his OC SCP robot girl finally uniting these primordial cosmic forces and ascending to godhood.

and then it was vandalized with

'And Fred was there too.'

He got super mad.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No thats literally it, the experiments with him involved putting him in other books to see what would happen and whether he'd like it.

Iirc the fun ones were him in Lord of the Rings where he had a Tolkien-esque name, and house of leaves which made his head hurt.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

wonderful. thank you :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This one was my favorite

quote:

Test Material: The entire script of William Shakespeare's "Hamlet".

Results: During Act 1, Scene 2, a character by the name of "Frederick" sneezes halfway through King Claudius' speech. Hamlet laughs. No other changes have been discovered.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
A lot of isekai is poo poo but My Next Life As a Villainess is not, go watch that

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Cautious Hero or something like that and it's kinda one note but not as fun as One Punch Man. I think it counts as an isekai since it's a hero being summoned into a divine realm to go help another earth.

Pretty litrpg as well since there's levels and whatnot they worry about. I'm only like 4 episodes in but so far it's at least funny in parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Is Galaxy Quest an isekai? Discuss.