Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FirstAidKite posted:

good lord my eyes

e: ok this game is entirely too grating and busy for me to look at

forget this, I'll wait for him to finish it however many decades it'll take

They're slowly working on an official steam release, and it'll have a proper sprite mode.

From the steam store page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BisbyWorl posted:

They're slowly working on an official steam release, and it'll have a proper sprite mode.

From the steam store page.

Isn't there an unofficial tileset for Dwarf Fortress?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are a number, but since Dwarf Fortress uses the same symbols for its 'graphics' that it uses for actual text and these things are not easily separated from each other, the results tend to be somewhat mixed.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I think when I played it last year there was a hack that fixed the tiles-text thing

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Rainbow Six Siege continues to be the only shooter I enjoy playing. It's the only cooperative game I've played so far that encourages the refinement of communicating very specific information to teammates, and I greatly enjoy that.

Plus it lets you serve a vital function for your team as an intel disperser after you die, and way more games should try to follow suit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apex has the right level for me where I can clearly communicate things with the ping system without ever having to speak to another human being

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Apex has the right level for me where I can clearly communicate things with the ping system without ever having to speak to another human being

I totally understand where you're coming with that, but I think we may just be wired differently. I've struggled with anxiety for most of my life, so I love a game that incentivizes me to actively communicate with others on an explicitly normal and human level. Like yeah, I've had to learn how to deal with random teenagers trying to hurt my feelings with vapid sarcasm, but the moments where I bond with a random east coaster or Euro over a common goal have been priceless to me.

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

LawfulWaffle posted:

Same. I would have used more of the sprite animation but it took me a while to slice up a gif to the 28 frames that would keep me under 150kb. Free Apple led me to a bunch of Worthikids' work.

funny you should mention that since they released a new vid a couple days ago and it rips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGj_HkKhhSE

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
The local Pump It Up machine has been out of action for a week so I've been playing Dance Cube 2 instead, which is one of the big washing machine style rhythm games.

You can play 3 songs per credit no questions asked but after the second song it only lets you select normal or hard difficulty and tells you you must get a score of 85% to keep playing. If you pass then you can play a 4th song but now it's hard charts only and you need 90%. I think you can go up to 7 songs, eventually requiring 98% score on a hard chart.

This sounds great, but I've found it massively limits my willingness to challenge myself with difficult songs. I'd be more than happy to play something hard as heck as my third song and get a low score, but knowing I'd be throwing away a potential four extra songs on my credit makes me pick hyper conservatively. I end up highly prioritizing the easiest hard mode charts.

There is value in playing simpler songs. It helps players work on their fundamental skills/timing and exposes them to common patterns more gently, but the advice people give in every rhythm game to improve as fast as possible is to always to be pushing your limits and try to pass songs that you're not sure you're capable of. If you pass it feels great! Faster/more active charts are just generally way more fun to play in a moment-to-moment sense too.

I'm more limited by time than money so the solution would just be to play hard songs all the time and not care about the bonuses, but even though the money isn't important it still feels like a major opportunity cost and a bummer to essentially be paying twice as much just to play the charts you want.

Other games have similar systems but they're much more muted. Pump for example I think you can only get 1 extra song and the song choice is very limited, so I don't care if I don't get it, it's not a huge loss. They also don't explicitly tell you the requirements for the extra stage so new players don't have to even think about this.

No point to any of this, I'm just posting.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
If you want a tileset instead of the ASCII, you can google the Lazy Newb Pack. It's been a few years since I last stuck 100 hours into DF, but it should be pretty straightforward to implement and improve what you're looking at. Menus are still a lot though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Learning to parse an unmodded Dwarf Fortress game is as close to being able to "read" the Matrix that I think I'll ever get. Screenshots don't do it justice, in motion it's an undulating mess of shifting characters as mud gets spread around and goods are created and stored, animals run around, dwarves go about their business, etc.

I like the early game and trying to make an underground river, but once I get over 20 dwarves I don't know what to do with them and I'm not good at managing zones or armies, so things kind of fall apart. I also fall into the pit of making literally thousands of tons of stupid goods and can't figure out how to trade them effectively. I'll probably still get the Steam version just to pay my dues to the developer

bideojames posted:

funny you should mention that since they released a new vid a couple days ago and it rips

Yeah it was a real treat when it popped up in my recommended videos. Good av material in there too.

e:
Probably deleted too many frames out of the kid clown's wave there, oops

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 4, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really wanna use the Kirkhammer in Bloodborne because it’s sick as poo poo, but it doesn’t stagger anywhere near as frequently as the Hunter Axe spin2win R2 despite literally shaking the earth for its charged attack. Fashion Soulsborne isn’t always easy to play. :(

Also I started replaying Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, a really good entry even if it’s weird (a lot of the challenge in the first Part comes from 3/4 of your squad being weak as poo poo)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Last Celebration posted:

Also I started replaying Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, a really good entry even if it’s weird (a lot of the challenge in the first Part comes from 3/4 of your squad being weak as poo poo)

And then for the second half of the game you get a bunch of OP characters that make the entire thing easy as piss

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rarity posted:

And then for the second half of the game you get a bunch of OP characters that make the entire thing easy as piss

I love fire emblem to death but this is pretty much all of them on Normal/Hard except Conquest and two of the JP only ones lol (FE6/12), it’s just usually your level one scrubs promote ten levels later then the game expects them to and they become the OP characters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yakety Yak

Don't talk smack

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

This screen that appears when you beat Kirby's Dream Land 3 fascinates me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bideojames posted:

this owns. what are the People animating in these days anyway? I think Flash is abandoned and IIRC I tried the trial for Adobe Animate and it was only eh in the one session i gave it a shot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCvk8HPpSGs made that and then my trial died when i remembered it. then i downloaded that OpenToonz thing that studio ghibli supposedly used to use, but couldn't figure it out and then it also just stopped ever opening again somehow.

part of me just wants to grab an old copy of flash and just do it old school, but i also wanted to do that with microsoft frontpage for my website and i know thats just me being lazy and stupid not wanting to learn how modern people make a websites

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kind of both a gift and a curse that a bunch of 3DS games didn't get Switch ports because I think I would probably re-buy most of my library to be able to play them on a way bigger screen

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Kind of both a gift and a curse that a bunch of 3DS games didn't get Switch ports because I think I would probably re-buy most of my library to be able to play them on a way bigger screen

They should really port Kid Icarus, I liked it but couldn't finish it because of how hard on the wrists it was

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would buy both Tales of the Abyss and Devil Survivor Overclocked so fast if they decided to port them over.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Give me a port of and a sequel to ghost recon shadow wars please

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

They should really port Kid Icarus, I liked it but couldn't finish it because of how hard on the wrists it was
unfortunately theres not a console in existence anymore that is capable of playing kid icarus as designed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Baller Time posted:

I think when I played it last year there was a hack that fixed the tiles-text thing
Yeah, there still is. It tends to cause crash issues under certain circumstances, though, so it's not a perfect fix and I didn't want to give it a blanket recommendation.

Cardio Corona Update: I never tought I'd be ticklish inside of my nose, of all places. If I never see one of those swab sticks again, it'll be too soon. Results tomorrow.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Looked up to see what Julian Gollop has worked on since Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. Are Phoenix Point and Chaos Reborn any good? Anyone here play either of them?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Khanstant posted:

this owns. what are the People animating in these days anyway? I think Flash is abandoned and IIRC I tried the trial for Adobe Animate and it was only eh in the one session i gave it a shot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCvk8HPpSGs made that and then my trial died when i remembered it. then i downloaded that OpenToonz thing that studio ghibli supposedly used to use, but couldn't figure it out and then it also just stopped ever opening again somehow.

part of me just wants to grab an old copy of flash and just do it old school, but i also wanted to do that with microsoft frontpage for my website and i know thats just me being lazy and stupid not wanting to learn how modern people make a websites
people still use animate, but there is also a large amount of people who use either Toon Boom Harmony or TVPaint. Toon Boom originally had a lot of features Flash didn't, which they've slowly caught up with. You no longer need vCam for example to have full scene camera tracking. TB had some bone manipulation warping that allowed for much easier handling of doing things like easing hair animation-- you'll notice it in stuff like MLP, Star Vs, etc, where people's hair bobs a lot and it's because deformation was a lot easier to do in TB for a long time while Flash's IK was extremely rudimentary... now Animate has a mesh warp thing that is relatively similar enough, and the IK iirc can create curvature on bends.

TVPaint is basically if you just want no-frills hand drawn animation. It's purely raster and so it has a lot of natural brushes ala Photoshop to have a more authentic look

some buckwild people animate in Photoshop and Blender but those aren't really intended for animation so it's not ideal

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Who's better, wizards or witches? For the purposes of this essay question, assume no gender restriction on either class.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Witches. They're on more 70s metal album covers and they are associated with temptation and random nocturnal critters, which is dope.

EDIT: Also Macbeth is one of Shakespeare's best plays and witches are prominent there.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 4, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wizards. Superior diversity of spells and better dice checks at the cost of no spontaneous casting is a good deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Witches are magic-users of the people and don't need fancy expensive wizard schools or big flashy towers, and so they are better

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Worthikids has been using a lot of Blender lately and the stuff he's done with it is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EuDkPD5x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBCuRsrqUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0640AJcH67Y

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On the other hand, Granny Weatherwax is a smug rear end in a top hat.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Warlocks. Magic should come with a price.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does. It is called "hard work and study."

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

On the other hand, Granny Weatherwax is a smug rear end in a top hat.

I... I don't know if we can be friends now :(

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are Necromancers wizards or witches?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Witches tend to have a more alchemical feel and I'm all for that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It does. It is called "hard work and study."