Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like.an intersection of at least 3 fetishes

E; my depraved fetish is making the worst snipes of all time. You see I think about it all the time, 24/7 baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And people don't like it when you tell them you have to rub the shelf or else the crisps will electrocute you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Increase relative humidity in your air. A wet towel draped over a radiator will do the trick just fine.

Re: Data security: On SSDs a simple discard of everything is enough to catastrophically destroy all data. No hackerman is going to recover anything from it and state-level actors probably won't either. Secure discard if you want, but it's overkill.

On HDDs, one overwrite with zeroes is enough. The last time anyone credibly described an approach for restoring from a single pass of zeroes was when hard drives were gigantic. In the 80s or 90s. Zeroes work fine for SSDs as well, but it's slow.

Your threat model is someone running photorec over your drive, which will recover pretty much all your data if you just format it and requires a level of expertise attainable by 10 year olds.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

On HDDs, one overwrite with zeroes is enough. The last time anyone credibly described an approach for restoring from a single pass of zeroes was when hard drives were gigantic. In the 80s or 90s. Zeroes work fine for SSDs as well, but it's slow.

I was meaning to ask about that, because it seemed counterintuitive that you could recover data once it had been overwritten, let alone needing to do it hundreds of times.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was meaning to ask about that, because it seemed counterintuitive that you could recover data once it had been overwritten, let alone needing to do it hundreds of times.

The basic principle is that a zero and a one are slightly different physical sizes on a hard drive, so it's possible to tell the difference between a bit that was once a one and was now a zero, and vice versa, so a single overwrite with zeroes (or even zeroes then ones with a sensitive enough process) would still leave enough of a ghost of what was once there to be detected.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you use too much heating in conjunction with too good insulation, probably electric heating, in your home. it's dropping the UK's natural humidity levels below the point they prevent static discharge - i used to get shocks constantly in canada and never do here. a humidifier would solve your problems, although it might introduce new ones.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1357389401890975744?s=19

Eddie Marzipan exhibiting serious Normality

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/04/oxford-trial-to-test-efficacy-of-mix-of-covid-vaccines-for-individuals

So is this a thing that is a potential good idea, or is it potentially a very bad idea being done to deal with low supplies of vaccines by chopping and changing them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol completely insane how broken these peoples brains are. you really don't need to tweet out every insane thought you have

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/04/oxford-trial-to-test-efficacy-of-mix-of-covid-vaccines-for-individuals

So is this a thing that is a potential good idea, or is it potentially a very bad idea being done to deal with low supplies of vaccines by chopping and changing them?

It's a very good idea, and would be regardless of supply issues. My main concern is that they enroll enough people for statistical power. But I think they can do some stats extrapolation poo poo to "borrow" statistical power from the preceding trials

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Antigravitas posted:

Increase relative humidity in your air. A wet towel draped over a radiator will do the trick just fine.

Re: Data security: On SSDs a simple discard of everything is enough to catastrophically destroy all data. No hackerman is going to recover anything from it and state-level actors probably won't either. Secure discard if you want, but it's overkill.

Your threat model is someone running photorec over your drive, which will recover pretty much all your data if you just format it and requires a level of expertise attainable by 10 year olds.

That assumes the drives are competently built and secure. Overwrite SSDs, always. Figuring out the firmware lied to you after you've lost control of the device is bad.

To credibly describe an approach for restoring from a zero pass is easy. But it increases the difficulty from it requiring a 10 year old to requiring a very well-funded expert with specialized gear.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The basic principle is that a zero and a one are slightly different physical sizes on a hard drive, so it's possible to tell the difference between a bit that was once a one and was now a zero, and vice versa, so a single overwrite with zeroes (or even zeroes then ones with a sensitive enough process) would still leave enough of a ghost of what was once there to be detected.

Theoretically you can toss the hard drive in a shredder, then toss the shredder and the hard drive into a volcano, then drop the mother of all bombs on it and still recover the data.

One of those things where you got to know what you're defending against, because perfect security is impossible. What if you're actually just a brain in a jar, imagining the security measures?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Neither of these two look like they're enjoying this.

https://twitter.com/cool_grandad/status/1357310771189932035?s=20

Eddie Marsen is vile. I've reported one of his tweets for being offensive. (They all are, but I just had to pick one.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 4, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
pro watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGmYeAm0jk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Neither of these two look like they're enjoying this.

Can't wait to see the Netflix dramatization of their relationship in ten years' time. It'd be like a really, really poo poo house of cards.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know I was worried that over the years I've *definitely* given enough info in my posts to find my house with absolutely minimum effort, but the fact you think I live in West London is both reassuring and massively, massively offensive.

maybe they misread "Poplar area" as "a popular area"

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

stev posted:

Can't wait to see the Netflix dramatization of their relationship in ten years' time. It'd be like a really, really poo poo house of cards.

*sneakbumbles away, having left drunk colleague in car with the engine on in a garage*
*cut to the next morning, man shamefacedly wandering out of an NCP multi-storey wondering how the hell he drove there*

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CoolCab posted:

you use too much heating in conjunction with too good insulation, probably electric heating, in your home. it's dropping the UK's natural humidity levels below the point they prevent static discharge - i used to get shocks constantly in canada and never do here. a humidifier would solve your problems, although it might introduce new ones.

This is a thing I know about. It's dry as hell here in Ottawa because it gets so cold, then you have to have the heating running all winter which dries your indoor air out more, then you have to run your AC in summer which does the same thing...

So we got a humidity meter and a humidifier. I can tell if the humidifier has run out of water because I start getting static shocks when I stroke the cats. Typically this is causes the humidity to drop to something like 30-35%. Thing is, humidifying your home to keep the internal levels at 40-50% is actually good generally for respiratory health and also for combating dust mites. If you overhumidify then you can have issues, but humidity sensors are cheap. Just make sure you don't go much above 50% and you'll be reet.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Eddie Marsen is vile. I've reported one of his tweets for being offensive. (They all are, but I just had to pick one.)

He's in a couple of films that I like and I just can't watch them any more. I get angry whenever he's on screen

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

1) Cotton socks apparently help? Nylon and synthetics build up static when you walk apparently.

Just make sure you bless them first, or they won't work

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Twitter really needs a "and take a look at their entire profile" button. Or they would, if they cared about banning terrible people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Twitter really needs a "and take a look at their entire profile" button. Or they would, if they cared about banning terrible people.

When you report you can suggest up to 5 of their tweets for review, which is kinda the same. They definitely don't care about banning terrible people tho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

When you report you can suggest up to 5 of their tweets for review, which is kinda the same. They definitely don't care about banning terrible people tho

Oh I didn't know that. It wasn't too obvious. They should give a space for what you think was wrong with it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jose posted:

lol completely insane how broken these peoples brains are. you really don't need to tweet out every insane thought you have

Jeremy Corbyn still living so rent free in their heads they're literally inventing things people say about him to get angry about. Amazing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh I didn't know that. It wasn't too obvious. They should give a space for what you think was wrong with it.

This is all assuming your report is looked at by an actual human being, which it isn't unless you're already in a position of power and want to punch down at people being mean to you.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jeremy Corbyn still living so rent free in their heads they're literally inventing things people say about him to get angry about. Amazing.

They did it while he was leader, it's learned behaviour for them and so they won't ever stop although they might move onto a new target.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

namesake posted:

They did it while he was leader, it's learned behaviour for them and so they won't ever stop although they might move onto a new target.

Oh, I know, the next vaguely left figure will be accused of baby eating and all sorts, probably.

It's just entertaining to see their brains do these insane loops.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

Thing is, humidifying your home to keep the internal levels at 40-50% is actually good generally for respiratory health and also for combating dust mites.
I have to have a dehumidifier running all day to get it to 50%, which still has the upstairs around 68%. I'll send you all the deionized water it produces to put in your humidifier.

endlessmonotony posted:

What if you're actually just a brain in a jar, imagining the security measures?
This is centrist twitter except without the brain.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Is complaining about all the horrible things the working class brummie taxi driver Piers/Corbyn chimaera of your imagination would say... more or less impressive, than the imaginary Corbyn of your mind giving you a stress induced heart attack?

There is a Corbyn Inside All Our Heads: He Must Be Destroyed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

Theoretically you can toss the hard drive in a shredder, then toss the shredder and the hard drive into a volcano, then drop the mother of all bombs on it and still recover the data.

One of those things where you got to know what you're defending against, because perfect security is impossible. What if you're actually just a brain in a jar, imagining the security measures?

Degaussing and pulverisation to micron dust - something you can can hire a lorry to come around and do for you* - would require several world-changing (and possibly universe-changing depending on how much you think nanotechnology can bend the laws of physics) advances in technology to be recoverable, and is the way actual state-level actors, who presumably know exactly where the cutting edge is and go way, way past it, say you should destroy hard drives that contain stuff they don't want to risk other state-level actors getting their hands on.

Realistically, for the ultra, ultra paranoid, heating it past the Curie temperature for the magnetic medium of the platters then smacking it with a big old hammer would also do the trick - completely melting it would also work, of course, but that's not something you could do in your back garden with a disposable barbecue and a leaf blower.

* Well they leave the kit there and let you get on with it for obvious security reasons, but what you *should* do is build the degausser and disintegrator yourself to ensure David Copperfield doesn't get involved and do a switcheroo on you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surely by that point it's a lot easier to just use thermite.

You can even make your own powdered aluminium from kitchen foil and a rotary tumbler and your own rust from scouring pads and a lantern battery in case you're worried that reptilians have replaced all the chemistry.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Does anyone know of a reliable way of not charging myself up with static electricity everywhere I go.
It seems like every year, for a month or two, I'll get a shock from half the metal things I touch while just going about my daily routine.
Turn the tap on - shock.
Move my laptop - shock.
Brush the draining board as I reach for some cutlery - shock.
I've also shorted out some small electric/electronic devices by just touching a metal part of them.

It's really annoying, albeit barely painful, and if there's an easy fix it'd be nice to know it.

As a kid I had this great big green woolly jumper that would build up ridiculous charges within like 10 paces, so I'd get belts off bannisters and escalators all the bloody time. To this day I cant just grab escalator hand rails and have to tap em with the back of my fingernail first just in case.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Degaussing and pulverisation to micron dust - something you can can hire a lorry to come around and do for you* - would require several world-changing (and possibly universe-changing depending on how much you think nanotechnology can bend the laws of physics) advances in technology to be recoverable, and is the way actual state-level actors, who presumably know exactly where the cutting edge is and go way, way past it, say you should destroy hard drives that contain stuff they don't want to risk other state-level actors getting their hands on.

Realistically, for the ultra, ultra paranoid, heating it past the Curie temperature for the magnetic medium of the platters then smacking it with a big old hammer would also do the trick - completely melting it would also work, of course, but that's not something you could do in your back garden with a disposable barbecue and a leaf blower.

* Well they leave the kit there and let you get on with it for obvious security reasons, but what you *should* do is build the degausser and disintegrator yourself to ensure David Copperfield doesn't get involved and do a switcheroo on you.

When chucking old hard drives out before, apart from deleting everything, I've deeply scratched them with a big nail in several places making sure to cut right across from the centre to the edge and run a magnet over them. That's probably sufficient to deter anyone other than Abby Sciuto from trying to get data off them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Desiderata posted:

Is complaining about all the horrible things the working class brummie taxi driver Piers/Corbyn chimaera of your imagination would say... more or less impressive, than the imaginary Corbyn of your mind giving you a stress induced heart attack?

There is a Corbyn Inside All Our Heads: He Must Be Destroyed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Greetings

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oh god why

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jose posted:

Greetings

Excellently cursèd.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Toned Blair

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Full Tonty

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

How would that impact us if my wife has a bunch of money in one of them Vanguard things? Not a huge abount, like half a month's wages in case the dog explodes or something.

Not sure what you mean by "one of them vanguard things" so I'll guess you mean Vanguard Life Strategy fund held in an ISA? If so you don't want your emergency fund invested in anything as you might need it the day after the market drops 40% or something.

Best idea is the keep your emergency fund (3+ months of wages in case of losing job is a good target) in a simple current account. Santander 123 lite is ok as it pays a bit of interest but also cashback on certain bills. It has a £3(?) a month fee but you can make that back on cashback. This is a good flowchart to follow, although the green optional bits are essential imo:

https://imgur.com/BfHzwr9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol not content with already lying about the 2k checks the democrats are now intending to means test it to the extent it cuts out a huge number of people more than it already did for being means tested