Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just read the entire thing using your native pronunciation, it's what the english would want :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If there is one thing I learned from watching too many gordon ramsey videos, it is how to pronounce Worcestershire sauce.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

If there is one thing I learned from watching too many gordon ramsey videos, it is how to pronounce Worcestershire sauce.

I always suspected the right pronunciation was YOU loving DONKEY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Antigravitas posted:

Pronunciationtalk reminds me of that legendary Loriot sketch of a German TV presenter reading a "short" summary of an English radio serial that is absolutely full of English names. As she gets further into it the English pronunciation starts to bleed into her German pronunciation until she has a nervous breakdown.

I can't find the video online anymore because the rights holders have purged it…

Lmao wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englische_Ansage#/media/Datei:Loriot_Die_zwei_Cousinen_Dramatis_personae_German.svg

That sounds hilarious, would definitely watch if someone finds it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Antigravitas posted:

I can't find the video online anymore because the rights holders have purged it…
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sywl4

Audio only, unfortunately. Video of the broadcast version (without audience) seems indeed well purged from the net.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's one version (also audio only) by the copyright vampire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqFVXgYeXQ

But the TV version is the best because she completely nails the performance, getting visibly more strained and angry and frustrated as it goes on.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

My hometown is the Australian town of Launceston. It has a British equivalent for which it's named. The two are not pronounced the same.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Let me tell you about Houston

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Antigravitas posted:

There's one version (also audio only) by the copyright vampire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqFVXgYeXQ

But the TV version is the best because she completely nails the performance, getting visibly more strained and angry and frustrated as it goes on.

Regretfully it's a Facebook link, but here:

https://www.facebook.com/br.capriccio/posts/1654880391220998/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's absolutely great. I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's Jorcestershire Rorcestershire Rorcestershire Torcestershire

mycelia posted:

My hometown is the Australian town of Launceston. It has a British equivalent for which it's named. The two are not pronounced the same.

How is the British Launceston pronounced?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Lawn-sten, I think.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tree Bucket posted:

It's Jorcestershire Rorcestershire Rorcestershire Torcestershire

How is the British Launceston pronounced?

Well it's not pronounced Lonny, which is how you pronounce the Australian one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Capcom design documents uncovered

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mycelia posted:

I lived in New London, USA for awhile, besides which the Thames river flows, and when I lived there I'd regularly go to regular London, UK, through which the River Thames flows, and let me tell you, those rivers are not pronounced even close to the same.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao thanks

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Just read the entire thing using your native pronunciation, it's what the english would want :v:

It is our way.

In Scotland you get the added bonus of some of the places being Galeic as well, just crudely anglicised (just like the people eyoooo)

2 places here that always trip folk up are

Muthill - which is Muth-ill not Mut-hill

Milngavie - which is mul-GHY

Theres essentially no way to know how these are pronounced before saying it to a bus driver and them laughing at you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

I lived in New London, USA for awhile, besides which the Thames river flows, and when I lived there I'd regularly go to regular London, UK, through which the River Thames flows, and let me tell you, those rivers are not pronounced even close to the same.

The River Thames has long been pronounced as at present, but Shakespeare was dead by the time it got its modern spelling. It was respelled under false pretences of being Greek.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Southampton. Look closely. Something is missing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BonHair posted:

Southampton. Look closely. Something is missing.

It kind of makes sense, because you pronounce it sou-THAMP-ton.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:allears:

Immediately downloaded and archived it. Thank you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Remember, English spelling is so dumb they they used to hold national contests to find kids that made the fewest spelling errors. And even better, many adults watching the competition aren't even sure if an answer's correct until the judge says yes or no

“Used to.” How dare you besmirch one of America’s greatest sporting events, The Scripp’s National Spelling Bee.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Every nerdy US person in their 30s remembers the word they lost on (taupe)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Piell posted:

Every nerdy US person in their 30s remembers the word they lost on (taupe)

Mine was "valuable". Nine-year-old Powered Descent skipped the drat "a". Still kicking myself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Which A?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1357717251231776770?s=21

Look at those Y-axes :laffo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not sure The Spectator and Private Eye are competing in the same space, either. Neither is The Week, really. I guess The Economist is a reasonable pick, at least?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Aramoro posted:

Theres essentially no way to know how these are pronounced before saying it to a bus driver and them laughing at you.

Milngavie at least has a train station, so you can sit in Glasgow Central Low Level and wait to hear the pre-recorded lady say it out loud

Edinburgh is a fun one because while some residents say it slightly differently we can all agree that the Americans are saying it wrong

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1358129593308315656?s=21

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just gonna link the flag thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928619&pagenumber=14&perpage=40

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

TinTower posted:

Look at those Y-axes :laffo:

What's wrong with the Y-axes? They don't have the exact same scaling but they're fairly similar (the Spectator graph spans 60K subscribers, while the others span 70K, 70K, and 30K). The axes don't go down to zero, but that's good, because doing so would make the charts harder to read and would obfuscate the trend mentioned in the tweet. The point of these graphs is to show the trend of the change in subscribers: one magazine's subscription count has been steadily increasing over the past few years, while the others' peaked in 2018 and have been declining since. I know basically nothing about these magazines, so maybe comparing them doesn't make sense, but the graphs themselves seem fine.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Where the hell is Nepal's flag

edit: or for that matter, the UK or USA's flag?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do you think the US flag fits into one of those criteria?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

trapped mouse posted:

Where the hell is Nepal's flag

edit: or for that matter, the UK or USA's flag?

most common. uk and us are in the presumably long tail of the distribution

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No part of the UK flag fits into any of those categories, in fact.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

No part of the UK flag fits into any of those categories, in fact.

There is a diagonal line. But I'd say flags with crosses could easily be its own category.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

There is a diagonal line. But I'd say flags with crosses could easily be its own category.

Yeah the UK flag is just three cross flags layered on top of each other (some of them are X's rather than crosses but that's just a diagonal cross). Scandinavia is all cross flags too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The flag of USA and those of Australia, New Zealand and a bunch of other ex-colonies should be placed in "small rectangle in the corner of larger rectangle" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i am vexed by these posts