Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean, if I researched every company I bought stuff from, I'm sure I'd find out they all donate to chud causes in some capacity cause they all just want lower taxes and regulations.

Don’t forget the 13th amendment specifically sanctioned certain forms of slavery, of which the us government has codified into law that they must buy from for-profit prison labor when replacing stuff like furniture or using translation services! :eng101:

Rutibex posted:

Cords > Batteries

I’ve been actively replacing all my corded tools and donating or giving away the old ones. Even air tools —I recently donated my pneumatic impact wrench because battery is where it’s at. Even my lawnmower and chainsaw are battery powered—the future is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

good jovi posted:

It’s fun to rub and smells good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally had a good reason to use the work light I got for Christmas, it beats the hell out of the old tungsten wired work light I have and lights up the entire drat attic. I appreciated the feature that let it hang/sit on a 2x4 without issue.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just bought a Einhell "1.6Hp 24L Oil Free Compressor + 5Pc Airtool Kit 230V".
https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-16hp-24l-oil-free-compressor-5pc-airtool-kit/p57053

It's (as the name suggests) 1.6hp (1200W) motored compressor with an 8 bar max pressure, holds 24L and has a 180 litre/m suction capacity.

1. It comes with a 1/4" air hose, which isn't long enough, and too stiff and "coil-ey" IMO when I'm using the air gun to dry my motorcycle/fill in the tyres (it was great for this!). Should I get a longer, braided 1/2" air hose to not "restrict" any tools I may buy in the future, as well as to be easier to use?
2. What cheap-ish air tools do you guys recommend in general? They are relatively cheap in the UK, particularly used on ebay, but not too much of a variety.

Other power tools I already own:

12V Bosch Impact Driver
12V Bosch Hammer Drill
12V Bosch Jigsaw
18V Makita Circular Saw
Corded Bosch Hammer Drill (homegamer version, it's OK but takes ages to get through stone).
Corded Makita Random Orbital Sander
Corded Makita Belt Sander
Corded Sheppach shop vac
Corded Track saw

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The only air tools I own are a brad nailer and crown stapler, but I'm primarily focused on woodworking.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I do some woodworking too, if that helps...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A good air hose is a worthwhile investment, but 1/2" seems overkill for a compressor that size. Anything that can benefit from 1/2" over 3/8" is going to be too much tool for that compressor to run well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Over the years I’ve been purging my air tools for battery operated ones. Impact wrench, pneumatic wrench, die grinder, paint sprayer for an airless paint sprayer. The only thing I use mine for anymore is blowing air, filling tires, and my full assortment of nailers. Can’t justify a battery operated nailer when I’ve got a full drawer of every size brad and trim nailer, and even some framing nailers I picked up at a garage sale.

Imho pretty much everything air tools do, you can get an equivalent battery tool that is a lot less hassle and setup, though maybe not cheaper. If you can pick a battery ecosystem and start building up a collection there, otherwise I think the most useful/popular air tools are impact wrenches and brad nailers.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fair points. I'll stick to Makita LXT 18V then, aside from if I want to paint something or blow air into or onto something.

IOwnCalculus posted:

A good air hose is a worthwhile investment, but 1/2" seems overkill for a compressor that size. Anything that can benefit from 1/2" over 3/8" is going to be too much tool for that compressor to run well.

Right, but I'll definitely be switching out this bargain basement 1/4" hose for something better. If I'm buying a new hose, shouldn't I get a 1/2" one so that it's futureproof in case I want a bigger compressor in the future, or will too wide a hose hurt this puny compressor and I should get a 3/8" one instead?

Also, the connectors are all "standard", "euro style" 1/4inch ones I believe, on the air gun and the sprayer and the compressor, if that affects anything...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so whats the best thing to put on my table saw table that lives in the garage in the northeast. I assume I need to put something on it occasionally to prevent it from turning into a rusty table.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 28, 2021

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

tater_salad posted:

so whats the best thing to put on my table saw table that lives in the garage in teh northeast. I assume I need to put somethign on it occasionally to prevent it from turning into a rusty table.

renaissance wax https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Wax-Polish-200-ml/dp/B0012S1XBO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=renaissance+wax&qid=1611864946&sr=8-2

Thin layer of wax will protect it. The can of renaissance wax lasts forever and smells good IMO but I am sure any ol wax will work.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

tater_salad posted:

so whats the best thing to put on my table saw table that lives in the garage in the northeast. I assume I need to put something on it occasionally to prevent it from turning into a rusty table.

I’ll second “wax” (I use Johnson, but paste wax is paste wax.) I’ll add that I also keep a (trimmed down) sheet of plywood on the top surface when I’m not using it, which has also been an enormous help. I’m in DC (FWIW humidity-wise.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Discernibly Turgid posted:

I’ll second “wax” (I use Johnson, but paste wax is paste wax.) I’ll add that I also keep a (trimmed down) sheet of plywood on the top surface when I’m not using it, which has also been an enormous help. I’m in DC (FWIW humidity-wise.)

for now I"m keeping some plastic on it because it's winter and cold is low humidity.. It's 15 degrees today. but once spring hits it'll be moist and rust prone time.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Oh man, had some really great Craigslist luck the past week. Got a small benchtop drill press for $40, a big Ryobi spindle sander for $30, and a loving Festool Domino (the whole set with various guides), plus a systainer full of dominoes and cutters, AND a Festool dust extractor for $1000. Extra bags for the extractor too! I'd been wanting a biscuit joiner for a project for a while but this is going to be way more fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol $1000 is a deal. I guess its dowels for me :negative:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, it's still insanely expensive. I've sold a bunch of CCG stuff the last month or two though so felt like treating myself.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

Can't find the graphic anymore, but someone (years ago) made a visual chart where they would take a Festool tool, and then show what comparable quality tool you could buy, along with how many accessories for the same price. The best was either the Router and a Bosh router, router table, plunge base, guides, and a 50 piece blade set, or the RO Sander and Three Makita RO sanders.

Still, the Domino system is apparently the biggest furniture-making game changer out there.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Blistex posted:

Still, the Domino system is apparently the biggest furniture-making game changer out there.

It's handy. I paid $650 for an old beat up one (with a bent fence) and a new systainer with dominos and spare cutter, and that was a deal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aw man how did I miss this thread for so long?

Just bought myself a Greenworks lawn dethatcher from their 20% off sale. Just waiting for the last of my leaves to fall and my lawn to drain all the rain we've seen here in NorCal to clean my dirty-rear end lawn up. The previous owners just had a landscaping service mow/trim and that's it. There's so much junk sitting on the base of the grass, so the grass is a bit thin.

On another note, I think I've reached critical mass on my DeWalt collection. I saw those buy a tool, get a tool of your choice for free deals over Black Friday and couldn't really convince myself that I would actually use anything that I didn't have yet besides maybe a sander, although I do have a corded Ryobi sander. I've got their standard 20V XR leaf blower, and every time I bust it out, my toddlers just want to play with it. I could probably go for the job site one that blows at 135mph vs 90 and use that while they do their thing with the other one :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is there a recommended budget/entry level table saw? I have an old Ryobi I bought >10 years ago and it's trashed so I'd like to get something a little better. I have a bunch of DIY home projects planned this year but after that it will only will get used maybe once or twice a year normally. Looking to keep it under $400 if possible.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've got their standard 20V XR leaf blower, and every time I bust it out, my toddlers just want to play with it. I could probably go for the job site one that blows at 135mph vs 90 and use that while they do their thing with the other one :v:
I just thave the big one, but my toddler thanks you in advance for the great gift idea to get him a small one to mess with.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s unreal how many pictures I have of them using it and laughing hysterically. You can put a ball in the tube and launch it too.

They also love wheeling around my Garden Weasel acorn picker-upper. And also throwing handfuls of acorns everywhere after I fill a 5gal bucket with them.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

FCKGW posted:

Is there a recommended budget/entry level table saw? I have an old Ryobi I bought >10 years ago and it's trashed so I'd like to get something a little better. I have a bunch of DIY home projects planned this year but after that it will only will get used maybe once or twice a year normally. Looking to keep it under $400 if possible.

Pretty much every portable table saw sucks and is (more) dangerous. The exceptions are the Sawstop contractor saw (lol money) and the Dewalt portables.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Pretty much every portable table saw sucks and is (more) dangerous. The exceptions are the Sawstop contractor saw (lol money) and the Dewalt portables.

yeah you're kind of looking at that 599 price-range for a decent tablesaw. maybe look at a track-saw? If you're not using it very often get a good circular saw, a good track and some clamps.
I've survived on a lovely skill saw for a long time. I'm about to be doing some shelving/ trim creation and other table saw related needs so I got one due to the fact I'll need to make repeated cuts at the same size.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Placed my order for a Onefinity CNC Woodworker. My first large-ish hobby cnc machine. I now exist in a superposition of emotion where I am super excited but agonizing over the wait time.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

FCKGW posted:

The /r/woodworking discord really like this saw: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Does anyone have a quick and dirty tier list for machinist files and wood rasps, far as brands go?

I'll probably go the "bang for my buck" route, but I'd like to know what to avoid as well as what Gucci poo poo to look out for secondhand

Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

yeah you're kind of looking at that 599 price-range for a decent tablesaw. maybe look at a track-saw? If you're not using it very often get a good circular saw, a good track and some clamps.
I've survived on a lovely skill saw for a long time. I'm about to be doing some shelving/ trim creation and other table saw related needs so I got one due to the fact I'll need to make repeated cuts at the same size.

Ooo, good idea. I have a nice Milwaukee circular that would pair well with a track or guide, I think I'll go down that route for now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eighty-four merc posted:

Does anyone have a quick and dirty tier list for machinist files and wood rasps, far as brands go?

I'll probably go the "bang for my buck" route, but I'd like to know what to avoid as well as what Gucci poo poo to look out for secondhand

Thanks!

Rasps and files are very common second hand. You can find some really cool ones at pawn shops and ebay for very cheap. I would look around for old bargains before trying new.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Get a file card if you get a file. It should help keep up performance, especially if it's used or dulling.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is the saw I have... Liked it so much I bought it again because my ex sold mine.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Auriou rasps are gucci

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What am I doing wrong with my impact driver? It seems to just be a custom hole-stripping tool that comes in the combo pack with the cordless drill. I always have better luck using the cordless drill and setting the clutch instead of trying to finesse the screw in exactly tight enough but not just a hair more which totally strips the wood. Lots of good builders on youtube swear by them, so I think I'm just missing something about the technique. Is it because I'm only screwing into pine? I'm not building fine furniture, just slapping together shop furniture.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Erwin posted:

What am I doing wrong with my impact driver? It seems to just be a custom hole-stripping tool that comes in the combo pack with the cordless drill. I always have better luck using the cordless drill and setting the clutch instead of trying to finesse the screw in exactly tight enough but not just a hair more which totally strips the wood. Lots of good builders on youtube swear by them, so I think I'm just missing something about the technique. Is it because I'm only screwing into pine? I'm not building fine furniture, just slapping together shop furniture.

Are you using the trigger as an on/off switch? There is finesse to be learned with the speed control there.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

what size are the fasteners you are driving into said pine, what impact driver are you using/what speed is it set to.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any screw I normally use with an impact driver would just continue through the wood or split it before stripping the hole. I am not a skilled anything and, while I’ve stripped many threads in metal and plastic, it’s not something I recall running into with an impact driver in wood. Maybe you’re using it on screws where it’s just overkill? Or the pilot holes are too big?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Choice of screw definitely matters. Something like spax is self drilling and will chew right through your piece. A drywall screw will snap or the bit will cam out of the head. If you're using cheap screws you need to predrill a hole in your piece first to avoid splits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Pushing into the fastener with the palm of your hand and controlling torque with the trigger takes a bit to get used to.