Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I do not know why the gently caress you would want to live in a college dorm if you can afford an actual house or even a nice apartment. I know the real reason is so Holbrook can continue doing wacky dorm gags but come the gently caress on.

Also I'll counter this with a positive, the trapped explorers Far Side is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I had to give a non-art criticism of Tinkersons it's that it sorta sucks that Mrs Tinkerson's personality is being a nag the vast majority of the time. Especially with the kids but also her husband. It'd be nice to see her with some friends or something outside the home like we do all the other characters.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Countblanc posted:

If I had to give a non-art criticism of Tinkersons it's that it sorta sucks that Mrs Tinkerson's personality is being a nag the vast majority of the time. Especially with the kids but also her husband. It'd be nice to see her with some friends or something outside the home like we do all the other characters.

there has been a few. usually involves a lot of 🍷

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

A Storage Shed! I'll squat in it! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
:lol: I heard the voice in my head.

America: The Comic

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So there's a lot to unpack about this arc for me, and I'm low key annoyed about how a domesticated plant is being played up as weird instead of it being an incredibly normal and common thing, but instead I'm just going to point out that azaleas are toxic, incredibly so, to the extent that honey made from the flowers is also toxic, so i don't know if Kevin is just casually considering suicide for lunch or what.

Edit: oh so are daffodils, I was so focused on the azaleas I forgot daffodils are also kind of toxic.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 4, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I don't have much to contribute to the Tinkersons convo that hasn't already been said, but I think it is kind of neat that we're probably the strips' most dedicated and longest-lasting fanbase, considering we didn't even like it when it started.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Green Intern posted:

1. Toilet seat jokes were ancient even in 1999.
2. Kell screaming curses at Kevin feels so loving weird.
3. She got up from the toilet, then ran through the house dripping water everywhere to yell at him.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 4, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

:sickos:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That's not the Groundhog Day thing though is it? It's six more weeks of winter or spring is coming sometime sooner than that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm enjoying this look back at the Tinkersons so I can understand this storyline. I never actually hated it, even at its worst I still read it and felt it was just one of those bland comic strips you read and immediately forget about afterwards, but yeah it's gotten a lot better. I still hate some things about the art though, like the "bird hair" Mrs. Tinkerson has when she lets her hair down.

Also I really, really hope Mark Trail isn't going to do what I think it's going to do, which is "Cherry is going to win a bunch of money from gambling and use it to pay off the damage Mark did and thus keep him out of prison."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm enjoying this look back at the Tinkersons so I can understand this storyline. I never actually hated it, even at its worst I still read it and felt it was just one of those bland comic strips you read and immediately forget about afterwards, but yeah it's gotten a lot better. I still hate some things about the art though, like the "bird hair" Mrs. Tinkerson has when she lets her hair down.

Also I really, really hope Mark Trail isn't going to do what I think it's going to do, which is "Cherry is going to win a bunch of money from gambling and use it to pay off the damage Mark did and thus keep him out of prison."

I kind of figured it was her getting a bunch of money from gambling to use it for her Mom, since I thought (I might be wrong, its been a bit) that was the reason the sisters called her down there: they cant help provide/help the mom and need support to get her proper care/home

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

That's not the Groundhog Day thing though is it? It's six more weeks of winter or spring is coming sometime sooner than that.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a regional thing, I've always just heard it as a general "early spring"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

rannum posted:

I kind of figured it was her getting a bunch of money from gambling to use it for her Mom, since I thought (I might be wrong, its been a bit) that was the reason the sisters called her down there: they cant help provide/help the mom and need support to get her proper care/home

That's probably the actual reason, and I think you're right that that's why they called her down there. I had forgotten about that side of the storyline.

Vargo posted:

I'm starting to wonder if it's a regional thing, I've always just heard it as a general "early spring"

Yeah the BCN strips lately have been weird to me because she's treating it as "If sees shadow, six more weeks of winter, if doesn't, spring comes in six weeks" which would be the same, but I've always heard it as spring will happen earlier than six weeks if he doesn't see the shadow.

Then again the cats are pretty bad at understanding how things in the human world work at times so maybe that's part of the joke?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Steve will tell us about the importance of faith and the true meaning of Groundhog's Day tomorrow.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Doot

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the BCN strips lately have been weird to me because she's treating it as "If sees shadow, six more weeks of winter, if doesn't, spring comes in six weeks" which would be the same, but I've always heard it as spring will happen earlier than six weeks if he doesn't see the shadow.

Then again the cats are pretty bad at understanding how things in the human world work at times so maybe that's part of the joke?

I've always heard it as: either six more weeks of winter or only a month and a half until spring.

That it adds up to the same number of days being the joke behind the tradition.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I get startled every time I see a Far Side I haven’t seen before.

Also, it’s really incredible how consistently good that comic is. I like my fair share of one-panel gag strips, like Bizarro for instance. But nothing comes close to the craftsmanship of Larson.

I am thinking of start posting Ballard Street.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Ballard Street rules.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

It doesn't feel as spiteful, I guess? Like tinkerson dad tricking the son into clearing the snow while he sneaks back inside or the mom wanting tweety to get off the phone always reads different than, say, a similar scenario in Dustin. And there's usually enough strips where the family is enjoying time together to offset it.
Yeah, I get the vibe that even when they're poking at each other they don't actually hate each other. Compare to something like FOOB, where there's a frequent undercurrent of spite and resentment and few to no scenes of the family genuinely enjoying each other's company to balance it out.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Gee, my glucose is 700 mg/dL, how did that happen"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 08, 1943)

Val you've literally already met a kraken. Well, the narrator called it a dragon then, but still.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No such thing!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
The interesting thing about Tinkersons to me is that Bill Bettwy is not afraid of changing the status quo. Robert gets eaten by a shark. Tillman gets a new teacher and a new best friend. The family gets a new dog and a pool.
But on the flipside, there's stuff like Helen. Looking over all of her appearances, it feels more like Bettwy gets bored easily and that justifies any changes more than there being an actual plan. It's very stream of consciousness-like, and character motivations and attitudes seem to change to fit the story in the moment rather than there be any consistency.

Recap, part 2.
September 2019. Helen notices Ted feels awkward around her and strives to improve their working relationship.

Helen is fortright and supportive of her team.

November 2019. The workplace atmosphere has gone sour, but ultimately it doesn't seem to be because of Helen or targetted at Ted.

January 2020. A rare strip that features none of the Tinkersons or their pets. Helen has a normal interaction with the boss. The last sighting and mention of Helen for months to come.

July 2020. The FBI arrests Helen.

Ted has no trouble believing Helen would have done this. No reason given.

August 2020. Helen has escaped custody, FBI man shows up at work.

November 2020. Helen shows up outside work, begs Ted for money. Ted calls the FBI.

And with that, we're caught up for the ongoing arc of Helen returning to work in February 2021. But questions remain unanswered.
Why was Helen fired in 2018? Did she have romantic feelings for Ted? Is that why he felt weird around her even when she was shown only to be professional and supportive? Did she want to kill Ted before he snitched on her, and if so why?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Strontium posted:

The interesting thing about Tinkersons to me is that Bill Bettwy is not afraid of changing the status quo. Robert gets eaten by a shark. Tillman gets a new teacher and a new best friend. The family gets a new dog and a pool.
But on the flipside, there's stuff like Helen. Looking over all of her appearances, it feels more like Bettwy gets bored easily and that justifies any changes more than there being an actual plan. It's very stream of consciousness-like, and character motivations and attitudes seem to change to fit the story in the moment rather than there be any consistency.

And with that, we're caught up for the ongoing arc of Helen returning to work in February 2021. But questions remain unanswered.
Why was Helen fired in 2018? Did she have romantic feelings for Ted? Is that why he felt weird around her even when she was shown only to be professional and supportive? Did she want to kill Ted before he snitched on her, and if so why?

Thanks! Loved the Helen arc. I think Ted wanted to smash but he's too much of a married man/committed so he just came across as goofy/uncomfortable.

She probably just wanted to get husband #5.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It took a while for Tinkersons to find its feet. I remember it started bad, then went through periods of being good, then settled into where it is now. I quite like it. The boss's hat though... every time I see it.

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 22nd, 1940

Axa has a sword, and it has Kenny Rogers's name on it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

whoever helps boyce edit did not do their part today :mad:

I always like A&j but this one made me really laugh out loud.

nishi koichi posted:

i’m usually pretty sensitive to the “family is lovely to each other” thing, but tinkersons doesn’t really bother me, and i don’t know why.

as otherss already said it never seems mean-spirited or too much. Like I'd buy this family sitting together chilling to watch a movie even if the kids were on their phones the whole time kind of thing. It's lovely family but in a way that kind of matches exactly the ages the kids are supposed to be
the dad also reminds me of Stu PIckles so that's whose voice I read his words in

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

final panel Al here rules

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I think about this one from time to time. I like the gag, but I love the expression in panel 3.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I got a good laugh whenever the Tinkersons did a product placement arc, especially since Bettwy just pastes a low resolution copy of the logo in the laziest way possible.

Good Listener posted:

I do not know why the gently caress you would want to live in a college dorm if you can afford an actual house or even a nice apartment. I know the real reason is so Holbrook can continue doing wacky dorm gags but come the gently caress on.

They're grown-rear end adults with a kid(s), the last place they'd want to live in is a cramped college dorm with a bunch of teenagers. Or maybe DNA Wizard just wants more test subjects for her experiments. If Holbrook really wanted more wacky dorm gags, he could have just had the whole idiot crew purchase an entire apartment building and move there.

It's like Hostile V said, they're out-of-touch gods who try to act cute and mortal, but just end up being insulting and condescending instead.

RoboRodent posted:

So there's a lot to unpack about this arc for me, and I'm low key annoyed about how a domesticated plant is being played up as weird instead of it being an incredibly normal and common thing, but instead I'm just going to point out that azaleas are toxic, incredibly so, to the extent that honey made from the flowers is also toxic, so i don't know if Kevin is just casually considering suicide for lunch or what.

Edit: oh so are daffodils, I was so focused on the azaleas I forgot daffodils are also kind of toxic.

Kevin being low-key suicidal and lacking self-preservation would explain a lot why he married a predator. He did get into an online relationship within the hour of his ex-wife leaving him, after all.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't wait to find out the twist ending to Hellen

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

final panel Al here rules

JethroMcB posted:

I think about this one from time to time. I like the gag, but I love the expression in panel 3.

Reading all those Helen strips in a row was a blast, I had several laugh-out-loud moments from both the art and the gags. Enough for me to move the dial on Tinkersons from "good" to "owns."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tinkersons really feels like Good Simpsons-level humor when it hits right. Like that strip with the guy getting fired and screaming silently in the parking lot. That’s good poo poo.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I like the response in panel 4

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 13, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 1, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 8, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 8, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 2, 1941)

“Doggone! We gonna have to take Bootsie off that scaffold. Every day when that lunch whistle blows he does the same thing.”

Mopsy Sunday (May 4, 1947)

Those Were the Days (May 24, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (April 29, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 29, 1965)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set isn't really into big holidays.

Working Daze is hard to look at.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix hasn't aged well.

Cul De Sac just needs some quiet time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma