Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

It's because getting 10,000 votes is based on spamming social media and getting nostalgic megafans to hit the vote button. I understand why Lego raised the vote requirement but it's rigged the system so only certain topics will get attention.
This is why it sucks so much rear end to make a set that's not based on an IP that you can cross-promote in communities that are about that IP, but not necessarily about LEGO. You greatly, greatly expand your audience of supporters many times over if you can target something that's culturally relevant on that level. I knew that going into the Bank thing, but I also knew I didn't want to do yet another fuckin' licensed IP IDEAS set so here we are. The IP stuff may get made far more frequently, but stuff like the Old Fishing Store, Barracuda Bay, and the Treehouse are the sets that really make IDEAs what it is in my mind, not the apartment from Big Bang Theory or some vehicles from the bad TRON movie.

edit: woah, that's way too negative of a post to start the new page with! Hey, I saw the new Speed Champions polybag at Target today, the one for the McLaren. I know it's been around for a minute but it got me excited all over again for the new wave of SC sets. Still dying to see what they do with Toyota, and assuming the Koenigsegg is a Jesko, I'll be pretty excited about that one, too. One of my favorite builders did a great 6-wide Jesko that's on my long list of "things I want but can't spend the money on right now."

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

I knew that going into the Bank thing

Hello friend saccharide

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ideas sets not using licensing should get a 5000 vote bonus from Lego. :v:

Or if you wanted to sell out, rebrand your western theme to be the saloon heist from westworld, boom you win.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I can't fault people for leaning towards an IP they like. I love modulars and thought about the treehouse as it's just neat even if I have nothing to go with it, but I can't imagine ever purchasing a western set unless it actually triggered something in my brain that made me love it then realized I would absolutely buy a Blazing Saddles lego set.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Oxyclean posted:

Has there been an ideas set yet with stickers?

There are a couple in the Friends set, but there's also a bunch of unique printed tiles. I think there's maybe 5 stickers in the set and they're all incidental.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cockblocktopus posted:

There are a couple in the Friends set, but there's also a bunch of unique printed tiles. I think there's maybe 5 stickers in the set and they're all incidental.

The Sesame Street set is full of them and they seem a little important.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

davebo posted:

I can't fault people for leaning towards an IP they like. I love modulars and thought about the treehouse as it's just neat even if I have nothing to go with it, but I can't imagine ever purchasing a western set unless it actually triggered something in my brain that made me love it then realized I would absolutely buy a Blazing Saddles lego set.
I'm not faulting it either, rather expressing frustration at how much easier it is to tickle the little "hey, remember that thing you liked?" lobe in peoples' brains than it is to say, "hey, check out this new thing!" Cultural touchstones exist, and exploiting them is easy - that's all! Eleanor and John Wick's Mustang are, by far, my best-selling models.

Personally, I shy away from IP stuff, even if it's one I liked. I couldn't even tell you why. If the LEGO Haunted House was instead a model of the Haunted Mansion form Disneyland or whatever, I probably wouldn't have gone so out of my way to find a copy. I just really love original ideas that stand on their own merits. I'm really not trying to sound elitist or make any sort of empirical statements about "better" or "worse," just... that's where my preferences go.

edit: because my hypocrisy knows no bounds, keep in mind that my bread and butter is replicas of real cars based on the Speed Champions theme, which is all kinds of IP dense. So don't take anything I say too seriously.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

The Sesame Street set is full of them and they seem a little important.
Old Fishing Store had a sticker sheet, too.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 4, 2021

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Looks like I may have to give money to China for a "Lego" version of Nook's Cranny. But I really wanted Lego Doggo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nth Doctor posted:

I did bags 19 and 20 of Ninjago Gardens last night, and I know I'm nearing the end.

I had my first missing piece of the set happen, and it's sadly one of the giant teal chevrons on the tower.

Overall I'm still liking the set, but I think I'm going to go in and modify some of the sub-build connections. A few of the sections, including the entire fourth level, don't have any studs connecting them to lower levels. This bit me last night with the tower, which only uses gravity to keep the section above the secret clubhouse in place. I picked up the fourth floor section last night after finishing the tower and the whole top toppled over. Thankfully it came back together in just a couple of minutes.

I am 2/3rds of the way through and the thing that’s confusing me is how anyone’s supposed to access the second floor buildings. They don’t have stairs inside or outside. I don’t see any way to get from the ground level to the one third level either. Is that why you need Ninjago City? Or the Docks?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

drgitlin posted:

I am 2/3rds of the way through and the thing that’s confusing me is how anyone’s supposed to access the second floor buildings. They don’t have stairs inside or outside. I don’t see any way to get from the ground level to the one third level either. Is that why you need Ninjago City? Or the Docks?

That's one of the problems Jang identified with it yes, which is only remedied by having it attached to the City and the elevator there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's one of the problems Jang identified with it yes, which is only remedied by having it attached to the City and the elevator there.

Even that doesn’t solve how people are supposed to get into the second floor rooms (the ones underneath the walkway. The angled bits of those rooms don’t even have floors!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As I said, NG is a mess.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lol, who even voted for Starry Night in the first place? It's such a boring concept.

But that's my bias I guess, I hate all the mosaics, busts and whatever those mickey and mini "artworks" are supposed to be too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol, who even voted for Starry Night in the first place? It's such a boring concept.

But that's my bias I guess, I hate all the mosaics, busts and whatever those mickey and mini "artworks" are supposed to be too.

I'll give Starry Night some credit for having 3d aspects. If it was just purely or mostly flat I think that'd be pretty lame.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Garbage Truck seems too simple for them. And you're correct about fan modulars. Also I think it's too similar to the Diner.

They've also done garbage trucks before for the City line

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Starry Night is that sort of "hey neat" build that I can admire the skill that goes in to making it, but I sure as poo poo am never going to buy one myself. Same for any of the mosaics, there's zero purchasing appeal for it.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Tbh I haven’t seen any fan designed modular type building that was as good as what is currently being put out officially. We miss out on nothing by not getting the Car Wash or Fast Food Corner or Brick Lane. At least they aren’t IPs but it just seems like another “easy” route to go for a submission because who doesn’t want more modulars?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

drgitlin posted:

I mean, if they're all ninjas then they just teleport or use sick wallruns or whatever. I assume that's what Ninjago is about.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cockblocktopus posted:

Green Hill Zone looks like fun too

They should pay Charles Martinet to have him do the Sega jingle in the Mario voice, then include a tile in the Sonic set that will make Lego Mario sing it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Starry Night looks like a bargain bin set. Kinda mystified why they would choose it over something that people might actually want to buy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The only interest it has to me is if they cleverly work in a a bunch of pieces in new colours.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Waltzing Along posted:

Starry Night looks like a bargain bin set. Kinda mystified why they would choose it over something that people might actually want to buy.

It was a weird choice but it’ll be completely worked over like the Blacksmith’s house was. It’ll be interesting to see what it looks like in a year or so once it’s released as an actual set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think ideas sets are chosen because it's a topic/concept/whatever that a designer really likes. Someone probably liked the idea of a Starry Night set and will use their expertise to turn it into something great.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

I mean, you know, they're doing those Brick Sketches and mosaic sets and such so there's some recent emphasis on wall art, plus all the recent marketing to 18+ and adults and the "collector corner" at Target and whatever. Plus the bonsai and flowers. They are really, really trying to turn more non-LEGO people onto this hobby.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

That Starry Night is beautiful and I will be buying it day one. If they end up doing more like this and less like The Disney mice, I'll be broke.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Starry Night is fine but if they figure out a better solution for the smaller balls of light it would make it 1000% better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Because it fits with their current mosaic line, I guess. They probably want to promote that concept of Lego pictures for all it is worth. And the mosaic line gives them the foundation for realizing that set, they can just use the same technique for the background frame holding it together.

I don't care for those mosaics but hey better than another random sitcom set.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Starry Night was pretty much the only one of those Ideas sets that I had any interest in so I'm glad it won, definitely gonna be buying it as soon as it's available.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It falls in line with Lego really doubling down on growing their adult audience lately. I have no interest in it personally but I get the appeal.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of ideas, where the hell is Winnie Pooh? It won in the same round as the Blacksmith, didn't it?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Likely stuck in the middle of negotiations with The Mouse

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hopper posted:

Speaking of ideas, where the hell is Winnie Pooh? It won in the same round as the Blacksmith, didn't it?

I’m assuming that since it’s a licensed set it’s prone to extra rounds of time-consuming licensor approvals and changes that a non-IP set like Blacksmith wouldn’t have to deal with.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Lizard Combatant posted:

Im the exact opposite, Lego is at its best when its used to create an untypical design, e.g. the flower bouquet recently released.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hopper posted:

It's got a set number and we've seen figure leaks for a few characters so I imagine pretty soon.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RodShaft posted:

That Starry Night is beautiful and I will be buying it day one. If they end up doing more like this and less like The Disney mice, I'll be broke.

:hai:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why’s it taking so long to get official Speed Champions info/pics? Aren’t they usually announced by now?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Why’s it taking so long to get official Speed Champions info/pics? Aren’t they usually announced by now?

Lego announces much closer to release nowadays. I hope they solve the issue of minifigs being slightly too tall with helmets or hair for the supercars. Also off center steering wheels.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I hope they go back to six wide but I know that’s probably not going to happen.

Starry Night is something I’ll have to see in person because I do love the painting, I have a print of it hanging upstairs. I’m sure It’ll be like $300 or something though and I might not be able to swing it depending what else comes out.

That said, lego that can go on the wall is a consideration as I run out of horizontal display area

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

This year, they're a summer release so we may not get word on 'em for a minute still.

Scipiotik posted:

I hope they solve the issue of minifigs being slightly too tall with helmets or hair for the supercars. Also off center steering wheels.
The supercar windscreen issue is so uncharacteristic of LEGO in the first place. It's weird.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I hope they go back to six wide but I know that’s probably not going to happen.
Yeah, that Ghost Rider set is a bit of a tease, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ineptitude posted:

Im the exact opposite, Lego is at its best when its used to create an untypical design, e.g. the flower bouquet recently released.

Flower bouquet was great, if not exactly on my must have list. Because it was so 3 dimensional, the mosaics etc aren't. Or at best it's a very flat 3d.

Things like the busts or large figure builds don't personally interest me because I feel the bigger the scale the less impressive it is to render shapes and details.