Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nintendo made it AR because they had a bug up their rear end to do AR somewhere. They fickle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I like the dumb coke shop, the polar bear meet and greet, the hogwarts express, and the dragon in diagon alley.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

but then again, I like T-Rex so my opinion is tragic per usual.

So YOU'RE the one that keeps them in business. I've always wondered.

I think the stores I frequent at DS are basically Uniqlo because I don't have one at home, world of Disney for a new mug, the kitchen store over by earl, and the Christmas store because my wife will never stop loving any and all Christmas stores at Disney.

I have a feeling most of the high priced retail shops aren't targeted at me.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I also disagree on Hogwarts Express though. It's a little forced feeling, how it's just a series of character encounters that conveniently end before the next one can begin, but I do applaud Universal for showing some restraint here and just keeping it a chill ride on the train and not trying to introduce some sort of "something has gone wrong" element.

I mean, there's a random dementor attack on the Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade one at least. It is pretty well executed though.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Coke rooftop bar fuckin owns fight me cowards

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The Coke store owns you bitches

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The Disney vs. Universal argument is always a fun one. I think they’ve both produced some excellent and sub-par stuff in recent years. I find either side of the fanboy that ignores the other resort pretty exhausting. It’s only a good thing that they’re competing

I find the most frustrating rides the ones where there’s a cool concept but it doesn’t stick the landing. The opening of Gringotts is so cool and the ending is well done but the rest of the rest ride is just eh. It must have been so expensive to make but honestly could have done with 2 less screen sections and 30 seconds extra of actual coaster.

Galaxy’s Edge is simultaneously amazing but you can see the cut corners. Not having any shows or really anything that shows the land is supposed to be inhabited apart from shops and bars to buy stuff is a bit of a bummer. Rise is the best dark ride I’ve been on but I can’t believe Disney green lit it when they knew it would have so many issues.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's a Coke store in Vegas as well and, last time I checked, you could pay for what was the free Epcot soda around the world experience. Which sucks but is fine because there isn't any admission fee and where else are you going to pass someone Beverly on the west coast.

Coke usually tries harder than M&M's which tries harder than Hershey's.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Craptacular! posted:

There's a Coke store in Vegas as well and, last time I checked, you could pay for what was the free Epcot soda around the world experience. Which sucks but is fine because there isn't any admission fee and where else are you going to pass someone Beverly on the west coast.
At least three of my top five Disney memories revolve around getting an unsuspecting friend or family member to try Beverly.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I miss the watching Gary sinese's eyes read the cue card in mission to Mars.
But man such a neat building for a total poo poo ride

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Junkie Disease posted:

I miss the watching Gary sinese's eyes read the cue card in mission to Mars.
But man such a neat building for a total poo poo ride

What the gently caress, Mission Space rules. What's up with the awful takes today?

I mean guess unless you have a really weak stomach but that's not the ride's fault.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mission space sucks

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Mission Space is rad.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Mission Space is extremely cool and good and the aesthetic is dope. The green version though can leave and never come back.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The green version is at least better now that it’s own mission and not a watered down version of the Orange mission.

I always do everything you’re not supposed to in Orange mission to make it more intense.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Mission Space is the ride I go on whenever I'm having sciatic nerve pain. I dunno what it does, but it seems to reset everything for a while. Cheaper than a chiropractor.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Coke Store bad, Mission Space also bad.

The only thing that's good is the Tiki Room.

I shall fight all comers. Tonight we dine in Akershus

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm a Disneyland visitor.

What's the coke store?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I respect the poo poo out of Mission Space. It’s an amazing ride but I can’t do it anymore. First time I went on it I was fine, but last time, my body couldn’t take it anymore. I think my skin literally turned green.

Roth posted:

What's the coke store?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/disney-springs/coca-cola-rooftop-beverage-bar/

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 4, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

What's the coke store?

It’s in Florida Disney springs. Dunno if it’s in Cali.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Craptacular! posted:

Coke usually tries harder than M&M's which tries harder than Hershey's.

The Epcot free soda is gone anyway.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
i forgot to mention that t-rex is good but eating dinner there is unpleasant

mission space is, of course, bad

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

At least three of my top five Disney memories revolve around getting an unsuspecting friend or family member to try Beverly.

The one in vegas had a ton more flavors if I recall correctly. I went to Epcot once and I think it was five different flavors but I seem to recall the Coca Cola World in Vegas had like 15-20. I haven't been there in probably close to two decades though, so that may have changed.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I respect mission space and love how campy the video makes it feel, but my body can't handle that ride anymore.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I have been to WDW ~20 times and have yet to ride Mission Space.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Do not ride the orange side while intoxicated

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

I respect mission space and love how campy the video makes it feel, but my body can't handle that ride anymore.

Mission Space as a space simulator is mediocre. Mission Space as a late 90's sci-fi movie in the genre of Armageddon is absolutely perfect. Gary Sinise and Destiny helped nail that feeling and its way worse without them.

I also like it because it very reliably produces the best reaction in all of thrill rides - the nervous laughter of a ride vehicle as the riders collectively realize "oh poo poo this is actually quite serious." Disk'os usually have the same thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BlueBayou posted:

One of the times I rode Mission Space we had to wait while they cleaned puke up out of one of the cars (or whatever the word is).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Well I had to trick my daughter age 21 to get on this ride telling her that orange was the mild side. When she sat down in her seat she asked why were there barf bags in the seats and I told her those were just for looks.. well I sure am glad that those bags were there because my daughter sure needed them

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I worked at Mission Space a while ago. As you might have guessed, more people throw up on it than any other ride. A semi-frequent issue was that someone would throw up and exit without telling anyone out of embarrassment. There is no gap between riders leaving and the next ones boarding, so the next guests would enter, sit down, and pull down their restraint only to them realize its covered in vomit. We had a box full of t-shirts to give people when this happens. So, always examine your seat on Mission Space before you sit down!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I worked at Mission Space a while ago. As you might have guessed, more people throw up on it than any other ride. A semi-frequent issue was that someone would throw up and exit without telling anyone out of embarrassment. There is no gap between riders leaving and the next ones boarding, so the next guests would enter, sit down, and pull down their restraint only to them realize its covered in vomit. We had a box full of t-shirts to give people when this happens. So, always examine your seat on Mission Space before you sit down!

Dren posted:

mission space is, of course, bad

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BlueBayou posted:

The secret is to just not look left or right, just keep your head pointed straight and your focus on the screen.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

couldcareless posted:

The secret is to just not look left or right, just keep your head pointed straight and your focus on the screen.

The real secret is to replace mission space with a good ride

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's true, just rebuild Horizons

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Mission space was killing people on the regular when I went to Disney World. The green one was new on my last visit and I considered it but I think my claustrophobia got the better of me. Dad rode it and thought it was okay.

Making them different films probably helps with ridership numbers but seems to ruin the point of giving people the same show if they’re chicken to find out about any underlying health conditions they never knew they had.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

The sinkhole under Horizons is better than Mission Space.

Me and my boarding group always enjoy standing at attention/at ease when ever the spotlight goes up on us for the positions though. My cousin described the ride as a more intense version of the kids spaceship in the old Warner Brothers stores and I can't look at it the same.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

It's true, just rebuild Horizons

There's not enough hope in the world anymore for people to give a gently caress about Horizons 2.0, but I'd still support it.

It's gonna be World Discovery, right? Surely they can come up with something neat for that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The Mario Kart AR is apparently much better in person according to those who have gotten to ride. It just won't translate to video, which makes sense. That said, watching the Non AR ridethrough, the sets and projection mapping are super goddamn cool. I assumed Rainbow Road would be entirely a screen, but they project it onto the floor (similar to the waterfall scene in Runaway Railway, which is always the most impressive part of the ride for me)

I am more impressed with the land as a whole. The "find the keys to fight Bowser Jr" game is just amazing. Such a simple concept executed on a grand scale. The massive Piranha Plant you have to put to sleep? Holy poo poo. I can't wait until they figure out what they hell they are doing for Orlando should Epic truly be put out to pasture, because I want to just hang out in the Mushroom Kingdom, damnit.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I rode mission space and realized if it broke down id be stuck in a box waiting for teenagers to pry me out, if ever, and now I have claustraphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Mario Kart AR is apparently much better in person according to those who have gotten to ride. It just won't translate to video, which makes sense. That said, watching the Non AR ridethrough, the sets and projection mapping are super goddamn cool. I assumed Rainbow Road would be entirely a screen, but they project it onto the floor (similar to the waterfall scene in Runaway Railway, which is always the most impressive part of the ride for me)

I am more impressed with the land as a whole. The "find the keys to fight Bowser Jr" game is just amazing. Such a simple concept executed on a grand scale. The massive Piranha Plant you have to put to sleep? Holy poo poo. I can't wait until they figure out what they hell they are doing for Orlando should Epic truly be put out to pasture, because I want to just hang out in the Mushroom Kingdom, damnit.

I want them to flip Rowling the bird and go nuts with this nintendo poo poo. Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Sanic