Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Junpei posted:

sometimes with the CS4 criticism I wonder if people just want the Trails series to be all political drama RPGs, all the time, and completely ditch Ouroboros, Sept-Terrions, Divine Beasts, and all of that

I certainly wouldn't mind if they toned those aspects down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I would be completely fine with that as Ouroboros kind of sucked for all of CS and moving Osborne into big bad supervillain completely ruined his character. It's not always bad as that stuff was handled far better in Sky and Crossbell but CS poisoned the well for the time being.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Junpei posted:

sometimes with the CS4 criticism I wonder if people just want the Trails series to be all political drama RPGs, all the time, and completely ditch Ouroboros, Sept-Terrions, Divine Beasts, and all of that

That's what I want. As soon as magic robots and the divine beasts ect for involved my interest dropped a bit. Whenever theres some ancient evil awakening my eyes glaze over.

Still have to play cold steel 4. 3 was so rough to get through it kinda put me off.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Honestly, yeah, this series needs to be more Matsuno, less shounen bullshit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the opposite actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More magic robots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think matsuno is the best example of a political drama that never involves ancient evils awakening

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

All the fantasy and magic stuff is cool and good. Nothing about Trails being just political would mean that the games wouldn’t have the same issues with its characters.

Everyone should get mechs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ethiser posted:

All the fantasy and magic stuff is cool and good. Nothing about Trails being just political would mean that the games wouldn’t have the same issues with its characters.

Everyone should get mechs.
Yerp

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Overbite posted:

That's what I want. As soon as magic robots and the divine beasts ect for involved my interest dropped a bit. Whenever theres some ancient evil awakening my eyes glaze over.

Still have to play cold steel 4. 3 was so rough to get through it kinda put me off.

Ah, Sky FC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah realistically if these games were pure political dramas thered still be a shadowy cabal with a vague goal theyd just be a dozen rich assholes in a yacht stead of evil wizards

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ouroboros races to awaken the Lost Demon King, but only for the sake of his crucial deciding vote in Parliament

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm not even against the mechs or the ancient evils if well done. Just that it seriously needs less power of friendship, nobody ever dying, and the heroes/villains never facing any consequences from their actions. And harems. gently caress that, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Ouroboros races to awaken the Lost Demon King, but only for the sake of his crucial deciding vote in Parliament
tell me, rean... have you ever heard of... *mcburn's evil eye glows as he puts a hand to his face and chuckles* the filibuster?

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not even against the mechs or the ancient evils if well done. Just that it seriously needs less power of friendship, nobody ever dying, and the heroes/villains never facing any consequences from their actions. And harems. gently caress that, too.
I mean all of these things have been core to the series since day one. At that point you're just wishing you were playing a different JRPG series. Like all these things were in Sky 1, too. Maybe slightly less so for some of them, but it's not like they came out of nowhere.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

The power of friendship is good because the characters are the big draw I feel? Like, that's the part of the Shonen writing that works. Rean loving his friends a lot mirrors that I love the cast too and that is good and I enjoy it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

tell me, rean... have you ever heard of... *mcburn's evil eye glows as he puts a hand to his face and chuckles* the filibuster?

You cannot joke about this, as this is too good and it should be real

give me president McBurn

EDIT: I'd also say how CS handled death was loving weird. It's not like nobody died--PLENTY of nameless grunts died as casualties of terrorism/war/magicked robart appearance/hungry cryptid/angry grass. It's just we're expected to take all of that seriously when cast members are tapdancing on the border of death/revival repeatedly. Oh yeah, they explain why they could do it but it's still a really weird vibe to have when you imply civilians/foot soldiers are getting squished out there.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 5, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone thinking the power of friendship in stories being bad means I can instantly dismiss their opinions

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone thinking the power of friendship in stories being bad means I can instantly dismiss their opinions

Too much of a thing will become stale and bad, and I'd argue CS4 had too much power of friendship.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Power of friendship is fine, but.....it is embarrassing that an ancient evil robot/curse/cryptid/dad couldn't be stopped until someone said "gently caress you I brought my buddies." Keep the power of friendship, but please do not make it the cornerstone of your entire rebuttal to the villain.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My name is Mysterio the Shoe Devil. For 10,000 years my reign has never once been challenged. But you there, you have....a friend with you? Ah dang, this is bad news for me!!!!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m fine with the Ouroboros and magic stuff. Go full anime, it’s cool.

What is lame though is when half the people in Ouroboros are secretly good people and will help you out because gosh darn those plucky heroes need help! It’s fine to do it once or twice but Cold Steel made it feel like almost every villain was doing it.

Just make them the evil bad guys. I smash them, and we won because we had friendship and they didn’t and they go to jail or they curse us because our power of friendship was too strong but they’ll have revenge! Winning the fight and them going “ah you did a good in beating me” just feels so hollow.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I can definitely agree that way too many characters get brought back from the dead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't mind it if the power of friendship manifests in concrete ways. Like, you know, people helping each other out. It's when the power of friendship is seen as some kind of abstract force that powers up the good guys just because they're good guys that I get a little annoyed at it.

Edit: The power of friendship actually exists in real life and it's way cooler than it looks in anime, tbh.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 5, 2021

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

I’m fine with the Ouroboros and magic stuff. Go full anime, it’s cool.

What is lame though is when half the people in Ouroboros are secretly good people and will help you out because gosh darn those plucky heroes need help! It’s fine to do it once or twice but Cold Steel made it feel like almost every villain was doing it.

Just make them the evil bad guys. I smash them, and we won because we had friendship and they didn’t and they go to jail or they curse us because our power of friendship was too strong but they’ll have revenge! Winning the fight and them going “ah you did a good in beating me” just feels so hollow.

Yeah this is more articulately my problem. The giant robots are rad and need to stick around. The villains all suck and there's no satisfaction in beating any of them since they were either secretly good all along or sandbagging every single time. And with Osborne being good all along and The Coolest Guy the entire plot feels like a waste of time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If you don't like Valimar I'm gonna turn around and wave at you as I walk away.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i love this series to death and it bums me out that the general vibe itt is so negative. i don't want anything cut from the games. i want more of everything. more political stuff, more bizarre secret organization with questionable staffing, more shonen, more giant robots, twice the cutscenes, gimme all that good poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I could do without the harem stuff and having 50 playable characters but otherwise agreed

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Junpei posted:

I feel like this is me, but to be honest I'd be ok with all that stuff if it didn't feel like it was completely invalidating all the political drama and worldbuilding. Like, in CS1 there's that military exercise that class VII watches at Garrelia Fortress but who gives a gently caress because at the end all warfare is replaced by mechs. You give me "mechs are new and catch people off guard and you need to develop new combined arms tactics" and I'm 100% down, you give me "forget all that poo poo we have mechs now" and I'm checked out. And somehow Calvard is supposed to remain an equal balancing threat both before and after this development.

Tangentially related but it also kind of bugs me how phenomenally metaphysically incurious people are in this setting. You'll have your group of heroes run into a bunch of spiritual energy and fight a bunch of poo poo from apparently literal anime hell, and their take on it afterwards never even involves chatting up a priest (not even the one in the party) or anything. It's still just oh, yes, I will teach this Sunday school session about how my job works and then move on.

I think it bothers me because there's so much attention to detail in so many places but the central plot has long since stopped feeling like uncovering a mystery about how those details fit together. None of them matter. I like evil wizards and secret societies and mechs and poo poo, I just want them to feel like they're part of this incredibly detailed world instead of replacing it.

Disclaimers: only played through CS1 so far, casually watching my wife play 3 and saw the summary of 2 included there because I was 100% sure I was going to hate 2 and she gave up on replaying it one dungeon in.

Also:

Clarste posted:

I don't mind it if the power of friendship manifests in concrete ways. Like, you know, people helping each other out. It's when the power of friendship is seen as some kind of abstract force that powers up the good guys just because they're good guys that I get a little annoyed at it.

Edit: The power of friendship actually exists in real life and it's way cooler than it looks in anime, tbh.

Hell yeah

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the series has come a long way since Sky 1, and there's enough of its heart still there that I want to like the Cold Steel games more than I do. Hell, I really enjoyed CS 1 AND 2! It was 3 that felt like a misstep overall, while 4 had some killer awesome moments with a handful of head scratchers. Those head scratchers though, wow.

I don't think the franchise has committed some horrible mistake that they can't recover from, but I would very much like it if the back half of CS never happens again! And from the sound of it I think Falcom realized where they made some missteps, so hey there's reason to be pretty chill with whatever comes next.

Sorry, I don't mean to bum people out with my posts but I can't stress enough how badly handled that particular boss fight was in regards to Kurt. Give the poor boy a moment, something, anything!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 50 playable characters is cool but i do agree that there need to be actual villains with power. not a ton or anything and they can have reasonable motivations but like, its fine if osborne is just an expansionist 'secure our borders' type who justifies it to himself because foreigners murdered his wife. he doesnt need to be more complicated than that. heck you can have antagonists who are just antagonists, with no big redeeming moment, and people will still like and care about them if their motivations are reasonable and they're charismatic.

im not someone who thinks every member of ouroboros needs to be shot in the head but, 2-3 people we can just beat up and then go 'yeah eat it' would be fine. i think the series just kinda loves reveals for their own sake and works backwards from that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but yeah while i doubt they'll walk back literally everything, hajimari and what they've said in interviews about kuro makes it pretty clear they're aware there were some missteps with cold steel and not everything turned out the way they wanted. like they're not sitting there going 'yeah it's rear end' or anything but it's clear it got away from them a little. so they will probably at least attempt to address some of this.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I wish there'd been more blind faith power of friendship moments. Like, one of the characters not being rattled by a threat of some kind, because by now they just assume someone else will figure it out bust heads until it's all taken care of.

Or planning that assumes their friends' plans, will sync up with their own, despite neither really knowing what the other plan is. Or instantly understanding plans, etc, etc, etc.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i've never played the trails games, but based on this thread they sound killer. is there a recommended one to start with?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

i've never played the trails games, but based on this thread they sound killer. is there a recommended one to start with?

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is where the whole story starts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

sky 1 if you want to start where the story does, cold steel 1 if you want the most 'modern' jumping on point (though its still recommended to go back and do sky and the crossbell games)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sir Tonk posted:

Sky FC, or Cold Steel 1 if you find Sky to be a little too archaic or slow paced. Basically any of the arc starting points (Sky FC, Zero, CS1, CS3) work, some are just better than others.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
It's been a year and it's time to try to get into TITS again. Every time I try I usually get right past the prologue and fizzle out, but this time I've actually made it to the second town and met Olivier which is the furthest I've ever gotten. Feeling pretty optimistic about this attempt.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Artix posted:

Sky FC, or Cold Steel 1 if you find Sky to be a little too archaic or slow paced. Basically any of the arc starting points (Sky FC, Zero, CS1, CS3) work, some are just better than others.

Hwurmp posted:

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is where the whole story starts

Endorph posted:

sky 1 if you want to start where the story does, cold steel 1 if you want the most 'modern' jumping on point (though its still recommended to go back and do sky and the crossbell games)

tyvm

so legend of heroes trails in the sky? I've got a vita and ps3, so no worries there. currently going through Felghana on the vita and pretty close to finishing Celceta on the PS4. Was trying to finish them before IX came out, but no luck.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

U-DO Burger posted:

i love this series to death and it bums me out that the general vibe itt is so negative.

My complaints are more because I love playing these games and the world they created. So when the games fumble things it feels like a bit of a let down.

I’ll absolutely go to bat for the series any day. I’ve got the plat in all 4 Cold Steel games. If I didn’t like them, I wouldn’t have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

My complaints are more because I love playing these games and the world they created. So when the games fumble things it feels like a bit of a let down.

I’ll absolutely go to bat for the series any day. I’ve got the plat in all 4 Cold Steel games. If I didn’t like them, I wouldn’t have done it.

:same: