Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's about it.

It's just such a weird thing that if someone did come out and say it was an easter egg I'd believe it. What purpose does an LED display on a wall saying Classified even serve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I guess it's meant to be like an 'ON AIR' light in a radio studio? Don't come in because the brass is discussing classified info?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This feels like The Dark Knight's Mr. Reese being The Riddler.

Davros1 posted:

You should join us every Weds in the Punch Suplex Pin portion of the board for the Dynamite live posting thread!

I never even thought to find the pro graps section of Something Awful. I'm there!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Do we know what's in the meal box yet, or are the ingredients still "inspired by" cornfields and comic panels?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

That's your warning. You can discuss Snyder without being assholes.

All evidence points to the contrary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

This feels like The Dark Knight's Mr. Reese being The Riddler.

I never even thought to find the pro graps section of Something Awful. I'm there!

Come get hype about KENTA

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

site posted:

I don't know much about Martian manhunter besides supergirl s1, what is the significance of the green classified sign
I'd recommend watching Justice League/Unlimited just in general, but yeah he's green

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Once upon a time I had intended to watch superman and JLU but I got bored of superman pretty quickly and abandoned the project lol

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, that's about it.

It's just such a weird thing that if someone did come out and say it was an easter egg I'd believe it. What purpose does an LED display on a wall saying Classified even serve?

It's a nod to the NBCs The Blacklist Universe (NBCBUSVU). The Blacklist stars James Spader , best known for his role as Ultron in The Avenger Age of Ultron, as a highly classified source of information. Of course, in The Blacklist Spaders character is Red Redington, so the sign being in green is a subtle nod that BvS is in an alternate time line. The DCU and MCU are both incorporated into the NBCBUSVU, which also incorporates TLU and the HBOTU via L&O.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Once upon a time I had intended to watch superman and JLU but I got bored of superman pretty quickly and abandoned the project lol

Justice League and JLU are worth watching. Superman is uneven but it's got some really high points. They're worth going through.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Justice League and JLU are worth watching. Superman is uneven but it's got some really high points. They're worth going through.

Superman has my favorite appearance of Lobo in anything.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Zachack posted:

It's a nod to the NBCs The Blacklist Universe (NBCBUSVU). The Blacklist stars James Spader , best known for his role as Ultron in The Avenger Age of Ultron, as a highly classified source of information. Of course, in The Blacklist Spaders character is Red Redington, so the sign being in green is a subtle nod that BvS is in an alternate time line. The DCU and MCU are both incorporated into the NBCBUSVU, which also incorporates TLU and the HBOTU via L&O.

Do you write for those knock off, bootleg, action figures?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Codependent Poster posted:

The Late Mr. Kent is one of my favorite Superman stories ever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Whose snowglobe does all this fall under

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

The Late Mr. Kent is one of my favorite Superman stories ever.

I totally forgot about that episode until now. Yeah that one was great. I'll have to take my own advice and rewatch that series.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

site posted:

Justice League + Justice League Unlimited are probably the best thing to have come out of DC (aside from the comics themselves, and even then, on average...)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gaz-L posted:

To the pro Snyder folks, can I ask what some of your other favourite portrayals of these characters are? Comic arcs, for instance, because I feel like there's a fundamental disconnect between the two sides of this argument over what even a good use of these creations is.
Sorry, lurker, here.

I feel like this is a really disengenous question, and frankly I think the discussion about character interpretations to screen only matters to a point. A movies baggage is only as long as it's credits, anything outside the film, especially from other media really doesn't matter. Just like Donner, Burton, and Nolan Snyder started a new franchise, so leveraging how good something is based on the tone and themes of its predecessors is inane.

My favorite comic book arc of all time is Planet Hulk to World War Hulk, and not only does the MCU mangle and twist this to suit other characters, it's to the detriment of Bruce, who essentially becomes their pet weapon.

Spider-Man, my second favorite character has only been done right in The amazing spider-man franchise, and yet they're hated because he's too comic book accurate, Peter park was only not "cool" before the bite. Raimi took away the webshooters and his intellect, reducing him to a brute that's handed victories from the villains, Doc Ock's mistreatment still being my biggest cinematic disappointment. Doc Ock is savage and tenacious, but they make him job to Peter, after showing his arms act independent of him. Then he kills himself after apologizing, talk about character assassination. And it's hailed as the greatest comic-book film still by some.

If you've read the comic books, you'd know all the teeth is in the events, hell a lot of comic books get by on edge, what's the black king event right now doing? But there's no edge in Snyder's vision. He's showing how a mythical being would rock the boat in our cynical world. Pa Kent told him to hide and yet he chooses a lovely nomadic life to help people. Then he hunts and turns a crazy rich rear end in a top hat who's beating and torturing poor people whenever he wants, into fighting the actual bad guys(unfettered capitalism).

But with the MCU, they take out the teeth of things. Look at iron man 2, remember when we were excited it was gonna be the demon in a bottle arc, then they handled it in like 5 minutes? And they minimize the body count so much all of the new shots in civil War had me thinking the twist was going to be they joined forces when they find out it's all faked, but nope. Stark is the villain of the franchise, like he's the cause of most everything, least up to civil war, yet he still gets to be a hero after his death. In the comics there'd be a lot more work done to get to that point, including clones and a ton more magic, hell they could've adopted how they handled Richard Reed in the comics, but with their philosophy, no.

I'm not a "Snyder fan", I'm a fan of good movies. My current favorite MCU film is Captain marvel, loved it's take on girl power more than WW, i and it has the single most dynamic shot in the entire franchise.

I think the SnyderCut is a good thing for everyone. It's insane to me that some people were actually saying that the suits saw how bad it was so that's why they started making him change things, but in doing so they're saying the suits are right about art, which isn't ever really the case. Now studios blunders can be rolled back, does anyone want to live with that OG Suicide squad? It was an objective mess and now there's a chance another creative gets his vision seen. And maybe more after that.

Yes there's a portion of his fans who are toxic, but not only does that apply to every other fandom, no other fandom was getting gaslit like they were. Yeah I said it, gas lit. You have half the internet saying it's bad and that anyone who likes it is an idiot, then you have a quarter of that who take it even further and call them and Snyder fascists and more based on YouTubers. I say YouTubers because the films don't ever support any claims they make. They'll pay a clip of the villain saying something then turn to camera and be like, that's what Snyder believes. Ironically they're using fascist rhetoric, Snyder is both a dumb surfer bro who has no clue about anything and everything good he does is an accident, but at the same time, he's able to weave randian objectivism into his films.

I'm just excited to see him finish the trilogy, which is crazy because I was one of the people saying the whole thing was dumb, including battfleck, on this hellsite back in the day, though I think a proper MoS2 wouldn't have hurt. I usually just type something, delete it and move on, but as we get closer to endgame, it's getting harder not to let it get to me, so please scroll on, sorry for the interruption.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 5, 2021

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zachack posted:

I would believe you copied and pasted this directly from IMDB's "Trivia" section

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bushisms.txt posted:

Spider-Man, my second favorite character has only been done right in The amazing spider-man franchise, and yet they're hated because he's too comic book accurate, Peter park was only not "cool" before the bite.
Well, this at least is true enough.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

bushisms.txt posted:

Sorry, lurker, here.

I feel like this is a really disengenous question, and frankly I think the discussion about character interpretations to screen only matters to a point. A movies baggage is only as long as it's credits, anything outside the film, especially from other media really doesn't matter. Just like Donner, Burton, and Nolan Snyder started a new franchise, so leveraging how good something is based on the tone and themes of its predecessors is inane.

My favorite comic book arc of all time is Planet Hulk to World War Hulk, and not only does the MCU mangle and twist this to suit other characters, it's too the detriment of Bruce, who essentially becomes their pet weapon.

Spider-Man, my second favorite character has only been done right in The amazing spider-man franchise, and yet they're hated because he's too comic book accurate, Peter park was only not "cool" before the bite. Raimi took away the webshooters and his intellect, reducing him to a brute that's handed victories from the villains, Doc Ock's mistreatment still being my biggest cinematic disappointment. Doc Ock is savage and tenacious, but they make him job to Peter, after showing his arms act independent of him. Then he kills himself after apologizing, talk about character assassination. And it's hailed as the greatest comic-book film still by some.

If you've read the comic books, you'd know all the teeth is in the events, hell a lot of comic books get by on edge, what's the black king event right now doing? But there's no edge in Snyder's vision. He's showing how a mythical being would rock the boat in our cynical world. Pa Kent told him to hide and yet he chooses a lovely nomadic life to help people. Then he hunts and turns a crazy rich rear end in a top hat who's beating and torturing poor people whenever he wants, into fighting the actual bad guys(unfettered capitalism).

But with the MCU, they take out the teeth of things. Look at iron man 2, remember when we were excited it was gonna be the demon in a bottle arc, then they handled it in like 5 minutes? And they minimize the body count so much all of the new shots in civil War had me thinking the twist was going to be they joined forces when they find out it's all faked, but nope. Stark is the villain of the franchise, like he's the cause of most everything, least up to civil war, yet he still gets to be a hero after his death. In the comics there'd be a lot more work done to get to that point, including clones and a ton more magic, hell they could've adopted how they handled Richard Reed in the comics, but with their philosophy, no.

I'm not a "Snyder fan", I'm a fan of good movies. My current favorite MCU film is Captain marvel, loved it's take on girl power more than WW, i and it has the single most dynamic shot in the entire franchise.

I think the SnyderCut is a good thing for everyone. It's insane to me that some people were actually saying that the suits saw how bad it was so that's why they started making him change things, but in doing so they're saying the suits are right about art, which isn't ever really the case. Now studios blunders can be rolled back, does anyone want to live with that OG Suicide squad? It was an objective mess and now there's a chance another creative gets his vision seen. And maybe more after that.

Yes there's a portion of his fans who are toxic, but not only does that apply to every other fandom, no other fandom was getting gaslit like they were. Yeah I said it, gas lit. You have half the internet saying it's bad and that anyone who likes it is an idiot, then you have a quarter of that who take it even further and call them and Snyder fascists and more based on YouTubers. I say YouTubers because the films don't ever support any claims they make. They'll pay a clip of the villain saying something then turn to camera and be like, that's what Snyder believes. Ironically they're using fascist rhetoric, Snyder is both a dumb surfer bro who has no clue about anything and everything good he does is an accident, but at the same time, he's able to weave randian objectivism into his films.

I'm just excited to see him finish the trilogy, which is crazy because I was one of the people saying the whole thing was dumb, including battfleck, on this hellsite back in the day, though I think a proper MoS2 wouldn't have hurt. I usually just type something, delete it and move on, but as we get closer to endgame, it's getting harder not to let it get to me, so please scroll on, sorry for the interruption.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You don't have to reply if you don't want to read.

We don't need to know you want to be ignorant.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh yeah? Well, I'm not going to look at your funny image macro, so there!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Oh yeah? Well, I'm not going to look at your funny image macro, so there!
Excuse me that's a screenshot, not a macro.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I see it posted a lot of places, but not much chatter over Peter being gifted a drone satellite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I see it posted a lot of places, but not much chatter over Peter being gifted a drone satellite.

That's hard to make into a gif.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I don’t really feel like digging that far back into the thread but most of the people here were pointing out how hosed up it was to give a teenager a spy/killbot army. Also how hosed up it was that Stark had even built it in the first place.

Aphrodite posted:

This is the better answer though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

A talking coyote posted:

I don’t really feel like digging that far back into the thread but most of the people here were pointing out how hosed up it was to give a teenager a spy/killbot army. Also how hosed up it was that Stark had even built it in the first place.

This is the better answer though.
I've yet to see an entire cottage industry blow up over Spider-man's "misuse" by marvel, so again, you're being a bit disengenous. In fact folks still want him just full on in the mcu. I actually prefer sony's comic rear end comic movie tone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Tony Stark comes across as irresponsible and callous in the Spider-Man films, but Peter Parker himself comes across fine. He's ultimately a child, not even old enough to have a driver's license yet, who's constantly manipulated by skeevy adults who don't necessarily have his best interests at heart, and has to constantly rise to the challenges this presents. It's a coming-of-age story in fast forward but also in slow motion; we relate with Peter in this because we all know what growing up is like.

It's not my favorite iteration of Peter ever, and I roll eyes at people who think this meely-mouthed kid is somehow "more like" the comics book Peter -- a Spider-Man with unshakeable convictions, who regularly stares down Daredevil and smack talks Wolverine -- but there's nothing particularly objectionable about the character himself, and anything I don't love about him is blunted by the notion that he's a younger version who's "supposed to" eventually grow into the man that I do love. (:allears:)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Tony Stark comes across as irresponsible and callous in the Spider-Man films, but Peter Parker himself comes across fine. He's ultimately a child, not even old enough to have a driver's license yet, who's constantly manipulated by skeevy adults who don't necessarily have his best interests at heart, and has to constantly rise to the challenges this presents. It's a coming-of-age story in fast forward but also in slow motion; we relate with Peter in this because we all know what growing up is like.

It's not my favorite iteration of Peter ever, and I roll eyes at people who think this meely-mouthed kid is somehow "more like" the comics book Peter -- a Spider-Man with unshakeable convictions, who regularly stares down Daredevil and smack talks Wolverine -- but there's nothing particularly objectionable about the character himself, and anything I don't love about him is blunted by the notion that he's a younger version who's "supposed to" eventually grow into the man that I do love. (:allears:)

https://youtu.be/YaG5SAw1n0c

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I too hope that he grows into the man that I love, and by “man” I mean Miles Morales and by “grows into” I mean is replaced with.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Amazing Spider-Man films are absolutely as bad an adaption as you can possibly get. Not only do they misunderstand the core philosophy that powers the character, but I'd say they undermine it with utter contempt. Spider-Man is typically motivated by guilt and responsibility, the ASM films bend over backwards to argue that both Ben and Gwen's deaths are not his fault, (Gwen's is specifically framed as hers for not "listening to her boyfriend") nor do they depict him coming to terms with his guilt, the very simple and profound origin is utterly gutted of all thematic meaning. The idea that Peter's powers are an accident is important because the Spider-Man story has always played with the tension of how it's our choices that define us and specifically and thematically rejects notions of destiny, yet the ASM films lacquer an utterly inane chosen one destiny trope that serves no purpose. Yes, there is comic precedent tor the parents storyline but it was terrible in 616 when they were spies and "came back" and it was even bad in the Ultimate run with the symbiote stuff (although Ultimate is best of a bad bunch of parents stuff). There's a reason why the parents are normally mostly ignored. Both films fundamentally misunderstand the character to such an incredible degree. The concept of duality is utterly gone, the idea that Spider-Man is a method for Peter to express his interiority has been jettisoned, it is not necessarily a problem that Peter is portrayed as an edgy badass, it is a take that could work, but the way the film consistently frames bullying as wit, torture as justified, stalking as romantic and never uses that negative behaviour as part of the story, as something to surmount or to achieve even a sliver of dramatic catharsis (they're terribly written to an almost exemplary degree) makes the ASM my personal least favourite comic book films of all time. I got problems with the MCU Spider-Man films as well but no where near to the same extent.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 5, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Karloff posted:

I'd say they undermine it with utter contempt. Spider-Man is typically motivated by guilt and responsibility

I think this says more than the rest of what you wrote. You cite this as the only way for Spider-man to be a hero is through guilt when TASM rightfully recognizes that the core concept is about responsibility of ones actions. Cpt. Stacy says as much. I don't follow the torture and bullying claims. And "stalking" loved ones is a comic hero staple. It's interesting that all this is only really discussed and amplified for things that are sins against the zeitgeist. Don't forget the hate started when they dropped raimi and calls of cash grab began, as if they weren't gonna make a movie already. From there, folks have made any excuse for why they HAVE to be bad.

The bolded goes hand in hand with this and is the Fascists rhetoric I mentioned. You put intentions on the films from your perceived bias, not from anything the film says. Snyder is said to hate the characters and not knowing anything about them at the same time. Then it's pushed that it's a given they're trash because the spiteful idiots made the movie. And the cycle continues.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

I think this says more than the rest of what you wrote. You cite this as the only way for Spider-man to be a hero is through guilt when TASM rightfully recognizes that the core concept is about responsibility of ones actions. Cpt. Stacy says as much. I don't follow the torture and bullying claims. And "stalking" loved ones is a comic hero staple. It's interesting that all this is only really discussed and amplified for things that are sins against the zeitgeist. Don't forget the hate started when they dropped raimi and calls of cash grab began, as if they weren't gonna make a movie already. From there, folks have made any excuse for why they HAVE to be bad.

The bolded goes hand in hand with this and is the Fascists rhetoric I mentioned. You put intentions on the films from your perceived bias, not from anything the film says. Snyder is said to hate the characters and not knowing anything about them at the same time. Then it's pushed that it's a given they're trash because the spiteful idiots made the movie. And the cycle continues.

Responsibility is a core concept, but it's not separated from guilt in the Spider-Man story, but entwined with it. There's a cause and effect relationship there. One inevitably leads to the other. It's the feelings of guilt that sparks the epiphany and the resultant taking of responsibility, trying to extricate the guilt from that story and character is something that both the ASM and MCU films do, and it really doesn't work.

I also really don't agree that stalking loved ones is a comic hero staple, and even if it was, that's no reason to keep doing it. It has messy and unpleasant implications, and ASM 2 luxuriates in it in a way that came off as creepy on the film's part. The stalking is framed as romantic, wistful and Gwen Stacy responds to it with gratitude as opposed to anger. If they had portrayed her being mad at Peter for doing it, that would be one thing, but she seems to dig it in the film.

But, you're right, I am biased. I've have my own predilections, politics, life history and emotions that all play into my reaction to films or any art. Films are form of communication, and all my complaints from the film come from both their text and yes, the bias that I bring to them. I think you're trying to walk backwards into the idea that the objective reality of the films are that they are great, so that any negative opinion must be fake or caused entirely by bias, but this is a flawed way of looking at it. Art is a subjective medium and we all decode it differently based on a whole bunch of stuff. I feel that negative connotations absolutely ARE there in the ASM films and the DCEU films, you may feel differently - but give me the credit of accepting these are my feelings on the films and not something I have had injected into my brain by a secret cabal of youtubers and film journalists who want to destroy the films you like because reasons.

EDIT: Furthermore, in every new adaption or version of something there is a tension between what elements you keep from previous versions, what you jettison and what you introduce. I think it's fair to look at that process and argue whether you think anything was lost, and whether anything was gained. All adaptions do this, and it's as valid a point of criticism as any other. For example Nolan got rid of the fantastical and gothic expressionism of Batman, but introduced other concepts in their stead. It's fair and dare I say fun to argue whether his version is better or worse than other versions.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 5, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Karloff posted:

I think you're trying to walk backwards into the idea that the objective reality of the films are that they are great, so that any negative opinion must be fake or caused entirely by bias, but this is a flawed way of looking at it.

I don't believe this at all, which tracks with what I said about the MCU. Suicide Squad is objectively bad because the editing was done by folks who think in 2 minute beats, ww84 is tetering on hate crime. But I do believe that the zeitgeist is wrong about a lot of films being bad, see speed racer. Because while art is subjective, your bias tinged opinions dont translate to fact, but since a lot of our generation are now in the film "press corp" it's easy to beat the drum for what's bad. I saw someone in here saying the R was bad because kids can't see it, which is funny to me, because back in Texas the local newspaper critic rated Batman begins lower than fantastic four because it wasn't for the kids and that was when I realized critics could be wrong and I could disagree with them.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 5, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bushisms.txt posted:

I can see that point of view but I'm of the mind that the finite resources of the movie industry should be spent on making good new things than trying to fix bad old things. When big name creatives get another chance at "their vision", to a large extent it means someone smaller just fails to get a shot at the big leagues at all.

Not that Gunn counts as a small timer any more, but if the cost of getting an Ayers cut of Suicide Squad is not getting a Gunn Suicide Squad? Yeah, I would absolutely want to live with that OG suicide squad.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 5, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy crap WandaVision! A Very Special Episode indeed!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm wondering if Evan Peters Quicksilver is going to stick around in the MCU after this, depending on what the show does with him of course. With the MCU moving into multiverse stuff they could bring over any characters from the older films they want to it seems.
We know Deadpool is making the jump

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't believe this at all, which tracks with what I said about the MCU. Suicide Squad is objectively bad because the editing was done by folks who think in 2 minute beats, ww84 is tetering on hate crime. But I do believe that the zeitgeist is wrong about a lot of films being bad, see speed racer. Because while art is subjective, your bias tinged opinions dont translate to fact, but since a lot of our generation are now in the film "press corp" it's easy to beat the drum for what's bad. I saw someone in here saying the R was bad because kids can't see it, which is funny to me, because back in Texas the local newspaper critic rated Batman begins lower than fantastic four because it wasn't for the kids and that was when I realized critics could be wrong and I could disagree with them.

Well, Speed Racer is awesome so we agree there.

I think fundamentally, for me, there is no such thing as objective truths when it comes to value judgements of art. That's not to discount people's craft and the idea of expertise in art whether it be writing, cinematography etc. There is obviously a long history with these disciplines and certain ways of doing things that have been effective or ineffective, but that more concerns how the art is made, not so much analysing the end results which is what the critic does.

I don't think my opinions are fact. By definition. They're opinions. For example, we both agree that Suicide Squad is bad, and for the same reason - the editing - but where we disagree is that you feel it is objective and I don't think they're is any such thing as objectively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I write, so that's the way I judge any movie. Ebert has a great quote when judging a movie, forgive my bad memory and paraphrasing, but it's something like, did the filmmakers achieve what they were trying to do? (just looked at his little man review system, lol that's brilliant).

300 achieved what it set out to do, a glistening ode to manliness and retro masculinity. I think its a good movie.

I think BvS is a mess, its narrative threads jumbled, its 3rd act counteracting its nascent (and honestly hard to discern) themes and character thoroughlines.

Speed Racer is a near perfect movie, because it sets out to hoist racing to near transcendental elevation and loving achieves it, and the climax is nothing but a kaleidoscope of colors, charcter arc completion, and satisfying narrative closure.