Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Centrist Committee posted:

Sounds like we should opener up!

https://twitter.com/hknightsf/status/1356971043655573513?s=20

London Breed can think of nothing more important than murdering educating children.

Reports I've read have been saying that the unions won't let their teachers back into classrooms until vaccines are available in large enough numbers, so I'm not sure what suing the school district in your own city over something they can't control is supposed to accomplish. Anyone know anything else about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

droll posted:

Wasn't it the founder of Kaiser that went to Nixon and came up with the whole notion of "don't give the masses healthcare, give them insurance!" ?

Kaiser started off as the employee health fund of an aluminum conglomerate. The wealthy patriarch also founded the KFF thinktank, which has no ties to the Permanente corporation and today advocates for universal healthcare.

Because the Nixon tapes exist and are a garbled mess, there's been a train of thought that some guy told Nixon that Permanente was a great model to follow for healthcare because they keep costs down by being skeptical of the patient's suffering and declining claims and these things are cool and good. This has also led to a rumor that for-profit healthcare was illegal before 1973, which is very untrue.

That said, Kaiser definitely creates plenty of horror stories. Probably more than their fair share, since so many of them are about people in an emergency going to the closest medical facility instead of travelling further distance to the Kaiser-owned medical facility which is the one they cover. Being a Kaiser patient in rural areas sometimes means being on your deathbed yet asking the ambulance to go a couple exists past the closest hospital so you don't get stuck with the bill.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 4, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Anyone know anything else about this?
O think it's a pissing match to threaten unions with.

Bad PR and less money and whatnot. What utter idiocy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Don't have a heart attack.

Or an appendix burst.

Or you die.

That's cool isn't it? Glad to live in the 1800s again.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Or an appendix burst.

Or you die.

Our Golden State is one of the ringleaders for this with big tech. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1356257987522924544?s=20

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DanteDevils posted:

Our Golden State is one of the ringleaders for this with big tech. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1356257987522924544?s=20

I don't know why he talks about David Rockefeller vs John D, who was worth like $400 billion in current dollars at his peak

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If any of you are veterinary staff, my wife was able to get her vaccine on kp.org. You cannot call an appointment in however if you schedule an appointment on kp.org it will let you go through, we had to go all the way to Richmond but we were able to get one.

The only three questions she was asked were do you have an appointment? Are you a Kaiser Permanente employee? And are you a health care worker

She answered yes to healthcare worker and do you have an appointment (we did) and No to KP employee and received her poke.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Or an appendix burst.

Or you die.

Late into December my aunt had a heart attack, they brought her into the hospital and she recovered pretty well. She was told the doctor wasn't sure yet whether she'd need surgery or just stents, and that he'd get back to her with the answer. They didn't give her an answer until a week ago. Even after repeated calls by her to the doctor, which largely went unanswered. Nothing cooler than sitting at home for a full month waiting to hear about whether you need heart surgery or not! Oh and as a bonus the doctor waited so long to make a decision it pissed off my aunt's insurance and after she got the stents her insurance is now refusing to pay for them because "enough time passed that they clearly weren't necessary." :fuckoff:

Also a couple weeks ago my grandfather fell down in his house, away from any phones, and wasn't found for two days upon which he was rushed to the hospital and it was determined he had several medical issues going on, including COVID. He's 87 and has a full DNR, which one of my aunts turned into the hospital as soon as he was admitted, but on three separate occasions she's had a nurse or doctor launch into what they'll do to resuscitate him if he codes. Each time when my aunt's pointed out he has a FULL DNR, they claimed they never got that paperwork and my aunt had to spend an hour fighting with the admin staff before they "found" it. Also he spent like a full week refusing to eat, clearly slipping into dementia, and hurling racial slurs at every non-white nurse who passed within eyesight of him (and this is Chicago so there are a lot of African American nurses!) and apparently only this weekend did they finally decide to administer any kid of sedative.

I don't particularly blame medical staff for any of this mind you - I assume any and all medical workers are stretched to the utter breaking point right now. but yeah, this whole thing has really exposed just how loving poo poo the American medical institution is.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sydin posted:

Late into December my aunt had a heart attack, they brought her into the hospital and she recovered pretty well. She was told the doctor wasn't sure yet whether she'd need surgery or just stents, and that he'd get back to her with the answer. They didn't give her an answer until a week ago. Even after repeated calls by her to the doctor, which largely went unanswered. Nothing cooler than sitting at home for a full month waiting to hear about whether you need heart surgery or not! Oh and as a bonus the doctor waited so long to make a decision it pissed off my aunt's insurance and after she got the stents her insurance is now refusing to pay for them because "enough time passed that they clearly weren't necessary." :fuckoff:

Also a couple weeks ago my grandfather fell down in his house, away from any phones, and wasn't found for two days upon which he was rushed to the hospital and it was determined he had several medical issues going on, including COVID. He's 87 and has a full DNR, which one of my aunts turned into the hospital as soon as he was admitted, but on three separate occasions she's had a nurse or doctor launch into what they'll do to resuscitate him if he codes. Each time when my aunt's pointed out he has a FULL DNR, they claimed they never got that paperwork and my aunt had to spend an hour fighting with the admin staff before they "found" it. Also he spent like a full week refusing to eat, clearly slipping into dementia, and hurling racial slurs at every non-white nurse who passed within eyesight of him (and this is Chicago so there are a lot of African American nurses!) and apparently only this weekend did they finally decide to administer any kid of sedative.

I don't particularly blame medical staff for any of this mind you - I assume any and all medical workers are stretched to the utter breaking point right now. but yeah, this whole thing has really exposed just how loving poo poo the American medical institution is.

Im sorry man, And what's intriguing about this situation is it revealed that racism isnt a reason to sedate a loving obviously unhinged patient.

IN a wayward way, as you said you dont blame the medical staff. I'm sure after the amount of death some of these people have experienced they're honestly willing to go as far as necessary to save a patient from dying unnecessarily.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

For Kaiser my employer pays $13,200 a year and I pay an additional $1200 premium, for me + partner no kids. That's before the copays.

Doesn't it just burn you up when people don't pay attention to healthcare issues because they have it from an employer and don't realize it is not free / "cheap"? The thousands employers pay in could (wouldn't, but could) be in our checks! We're all being robbed for healthcare, it's just that some of us see the price phrased differently, and aaaaaaaaaaaa

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

We had a baby with Kaiser and we definitely got a surprise bill.

We asked to pay everything we owed when we left and that was $700 but then we got an additional bill for like $1500 more mailed to us.

Apparently when your employer pays $10,000 a year for your health insurance having a baby in America still cost more than two grand.

Oh by the way if you have Kaiser don’t have kids.

Having 1 child raises my health insurance about $350 a month.

That’s all coming out of my pocket so I’m gonna be paying about 3 to 4 grand a year for the next 26 years.

It’s just $100,000.

That's weird. I had twins at Kaiser almost 2 years ago and it cost us like $20 for the whole process. Cheapest money pits ever in our experience.

We were already topped out at max monthly premium since we already had 3 kids, so the twins didn't add anything :v:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theres a lot of different kaiser plans so coverage and costs is going to vary a lot. When I initially got diagnosed with sleep apnea, about half of the other patients I took the class with didn't have durable medical devices covered in their plan. Kaiser still helped out with applying to the used cpap program though.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

As a cpap user lmao what a loving racket those pieces of poo poo are. I love it, can't live without it, but to pretend that's a multi thousand dollar device when it's a fish blower and some pressure sensors is loving laughable

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Goodpancakes posted:

As a cpap user lmao what a loving racket those pieces of poo poo are. I love it, can't live without it, but to pretend that's a multi thousand dollar device when it's a fish blower and some pressure sensors is loving laughable

Yeah, I'm glad that at least they helped me apply to the used cpap program. "Donated" 100 dollars to the American Sleep Apnea Association and got a last generation resmed. Unfortunately I think the program got discontinued due to covid though.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Theres a lot of different kaiser plans so coverage and costs is going to vary a lot. When I initially got diagnosed with sleep apnea, about half of the other patients I took the class with didn't have durable medical devices covered in their plan. Kaiser still helped out with applying to the used cpap program though.

Even having the same plan as someone else is not a guarantee of having a similar experience.

Say you have a partial tear in your ACL. It's healing, but you still have occasional knee instability and pain. Your doctor might recommend a knee brace, which will take some of the load off of it and help prevent re-injuring it. So someone at the doctors office types up the info, the doctor signs a script, and sends it to a knee brace company. The knee brace company then uploads all the doctor's info to their system, then someone else there submits a request for approval from your insurance company for the knee brace. Someone at the knee brace company processes the request, it goes to a review team which either approve it or pass it on to their on-staff doctor/RN who looks at the info and approves or rejects it. This goes back to the knee brace company, who then collect payment from the patient, and then fit the brace.

If anyone in this whole chain of custody fucks up their job, then welcome to an insurance nightmare. The doctor might not use the exact ICD10 diagnosis code that the insurance company wants, so it might get rejected because of that, they might prescribe knee brace X while the insurance company will only pay for knee brace Y, the knee brace people can gently caress up entering the data or the byzantine approval submission process, and then of course the insurance folks can always gently caress up or reject it in an effort to save money. Edit: also, every company involved in this chain has to have negotiated a contract with everyone else

tl;dr - anytime you receive medical care more complicated than a normal check-up you're relying on at least a dozen people to do their job exactly right

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 4, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Goodpancakes posted:

I had to pay $30 for a replacement swiveling L tube adapter, a little piece of plastic that probably cost 20 cents to make, and Kaiser doesn't cover it. It makes the actual tube easier to deal/sleep with.

Worrying that the CPAP itself will die unexpectedly is anxiety inducing though. I hope the thousand dollar price tag means it's super reliable. Mine has a built in 4G internet connection and its collecting my data in the cloud. Looked at it once, what a waste and unnecessary cost that I don't need to subsidize.

droll fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 4, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

droll posted:

I had to pay $30 for a replacement swiveling L tube adapter, a little piece of plastic that probably cost 20 cents to make, and Kaiser doesn't cover it. It makes the actual tube easier to deal/sleep with.

Worrying that the CPAP itself will die unexpectedly is anxiety inducing though. I hope the thousand dollar price tag means it's super reliable. Mine has a built in 4G internet connection and its collecting my data in the cloud. Looked at it once, what a waste and unnecessary cost that I don't need to subsidize.

You should look into https://www.secondwindcpap.com/ I got a fancy ResMed AirSense10 humidifer-apap type for like $450 + $50 mask and it was new as far as i could tell. Still a lot of money. They also don't need a prescription or anything to buy, just add to cart and checkout

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jesus, just how common is it for people in this country to sleep with a breathing mask strapped to their face?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Jesus, just how common is it for people in this country to sleep with a breathing mask strapped to their face?

Here it is.

I'm fat now but I had sleep apnea before I was fat. My father was a marathon runner and needed one.

But yes many of us are fat. I also think there are a lot of people that need one but never realize.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Now we just need the mask that does CPAP in addition to filtering out COVID and Wildfire Smoke. There's the killer app. :discourse:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Let’s not forget: your CPAP machine is probably spying on you!

https://www.propublica.org/article/you-snooze-you-lose-insurers-make-the-old-adage-literally-true/amp

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

droll posted:

Here it is.

I'm fat now but I had sleep apnea before I was fat. My father was a marathon runner and needed one.

But yes many of us are fat. I also think there are a lot of people that need one but never realize.

I'm not disrespecting people who use it. My dentist also pushed a CPAP machine on me because I grind my teeth. I'm just blown away that such a huge percentage of Americans apparently sleep with one -- I hear people talk about them frequently on Twitter and now there's half a dozen people in this thread talking about theirs. It seems like a really invasive and prominent machine to me! I don't even like wearing a mouthguard!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not disrespecting people who use it. My dentist also pushed a CPAP machine on me because I grind my teeth. I'm just blown away that such a huge percentage of Americans apparently sleep with one -- I hear people talk about them frequently on Twitter and now there's half a dozen people in this thread talking about theirs. It seems like a really invasive and prominent machine to me! I don't even like wearing a mouthguard!

I think a ton of people have needed them forever but didn't know they existed. And they don't go inside your mouth unless you are doing something very strange with them! I have a nose only one, it's great.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You get acclimated to it in rather shocking ways. I was so bad at sleeping with stuff on or in my face that I had to do multiple sleep studies because I kept either not sleeping or fidgeting the testing gear off my face, and when I did finally get my CPAP it took me two solid days to actually sleep with it because it felt like I had a leafblower strapped to my face. Within a couple months I barely noticed it anymore and now the air pressure feels weirdly natural.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm just imagining your avatar with a hose going out the side and into a cpap machine.

My dad has a CPAP machine, and I -may- need one as well (I believe I snore more if I sleep on my back instead of on my side). Changed his life. I haven't gotten around to asking when he's supposed to "own" his CPAP machine from this sketchy looking insurance CPAP lease/rental system though (as mentioned in the previously linked article).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I got one at the end of last year. Turns out that most of my depression/anxiety stemmed from being constantly fatigued for years, and feeling like I could never recharge. Now I get actual restful sleep and feel good instead of tired when I wake up. It's life-changing and a huge deal for people who need it. If you snore and you can get a sleep study, get a sleep study and see if you need one, because holy poo poo it makes a huge difference in terms of quality of life.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Truspeaker posted:

I think a ton of people have needed them forever but didn't know they existed. And they don't go inside your mouth unless you are doing something very strange with them! I have a nose only one, it's great.

I don't mean invasive in a medical sense. I dunno, I don't want to rag on them because they clearly work for people here and I don't want to talk down to anybody, but they seem like a drastic and expensive piece of medical machinery for such a large number of young people to just live with. I don't think they would improve my quality of life.

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm just imagining your avatar with a hose going out the side and into a cpap machine.

Respirators on the other hand, I love. Won't see me going out without my full-face P100 respirator.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Respirators on the other hand, I love. Won't see me going out without my full-face P100 respirator.
Full Face Respirator Crew checking in :frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Half mask here, but same.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jetz0r posted:

Half mask here, but same.

Half-mask is better than no mask :stoked:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/eyokley/status/1357519201825603586?s=20

Newsom poll numbers. Seems he's slightly better than where he was this same time last year, but way below where he was in the early COVID days when people were lionizing blue state governors for not being Trump.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have one as well (Respironics Dreamstation), in spite of being a former scholarship track & field guy. Central sleep apnea (during sleep, your brain intermittently stops sending signals to your body to breathe) sucks balls, and I'm glad I have one now. There are tons of reasons that people use them beyond weight (I know you aren't implying that, but it's a common thing).

1) Overweight --> Obstructive sleep apnea
2) Structural issues with windpipe / nose --> Obstructive
3) A variety of really bad health poo poo (impending cardiac failure, etc) --> Central
4) Alcohol use --> Obstructive mostly, central if you really drank too much
5) Lots of anti-depressants / anti-anxiety medications cause central, and weight gain from them can result in obstructive
6) Deviated septum (at least according to the doctor) --> Obstructive
7) General stress --> Central

With the average American being an overweight/obese individual with growing use of antidepressants, overworked and stressed out, I'm not surprised at all to find out that a bunch of people use them.

But yeah, they're really common and you do actually get used to them in a hurry. I got lucky and my insurance covered full purchase at a price of $50 as Durable Medical Equipment, but most insurers apparently force you to rent them.

They missed one of the very few reasonable times to use the Papyrus font in a site logo. :colbert:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 5, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Sundae posted:

I have one as well (Respironics Dreamstation), in spite of being a former scholarship track & field guy. Central sleep apnea (during sleep, your brain intermittently stops sending signals to your body to breathe) sucks balls, and I'm glad I have one now. There are tons of reasons that people use them beyond weight (I know you aren't implying that, but it's a common thing).

How does one go about getting a doctor to look in to sleep apnea, anyway? I've suspected for a while that I suffer from some form of it, and have a lot of the symptoms of a deviated septum, but I haven't been able to communicate that to my doctor in a way that will get him to take it seriously: I'm slim and reasonably fit, and he refuses to acknowledge that this can be a problem for anyone except obese alcoholics. I'm planning on switching docs after I'm vaccinated and feel safe spending extended periods in a waiting room again, and I'd like to bring this up in the first meeting.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Kestral posted:

How does one go about getting a doctor to look in to sleep apnea, anyway? I've suspected for a while that I suffer from some form of it, and have a lot of the symptoms of a deviated septum, but I haven't been able to communicate that to my doctor in a way that will get him to take it seriously: I'm slim and reasonably fit, and he refuses to acknowledge that this can be a problem for anyone except obese alcoholics. I'm planning on switching docs after I'm vaccinated and feel safe spending extended periods in a waiting room again, and I'd like to bring this up in the first meeting.
Do you need pre-auth for a sleep study/diagnosis?
Looks like you need pre-auth for Blue Shield.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 5, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kestral posted:

Yeah your doctor loving sucks rear end.

If you want to do it at home and then have evidence, see if you can get any sort of bluetooth or device-tracking O2 monitor (Pulse Oximeter) that sits in your finger and tracks your blood O2 saturation continuously while you sleep. You'll get a nice plot of time vs blood O2 saturation. That's how at-home sleep studies work because O2 falling means your brain is rotting and getting lovely sleep. If you want to cheese it, buy one on Amazon and then return it a week later: for example lookup Viatom Sleep Monitor / Blood O2 / Oximeter Monitor
ee
Then with that you can take it to a doctor and be like yo im at 90% im loving killing my braincells off everything I go to sleep. Or you can just decide that dealing with insurance isn't going to be good and they won't cover much and then instead buy an like-new APAP/CPAP+Mask yourself directly (link i posted before is a great site, ResMed AirSense 10 + Humidifer Tubing is a great device). It's very easy to configure but will take some time to dial it in. That one and many of them are automatic pressure that automatically adjusts ramping up and mostly tweaking min/max to your liking and minimizing apnea events (which it tracks and can see how your sleep was the previous night and so on).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 5, 2021

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Speaking of cpap my power went out. So much for sleeping! I haven't charged my backup battery either so woo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Goodpancakes posted:

Speaking of cpap my power went out. So much for sleeping! I haven't charged my backup battery either so woo

Yeti 500x friend. It's a life saver if you have an extra few hundred bucks for some guranteed power

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Wicked Them Beats posted:

https://twitter.com/hknightsf/status/1356971043655573513?s=20

London Breed can think of nothing more important than murdering educating children.

Reports I've read have been saying that the unions won't let their teachers back into classrooms until vaccines are available in large enough numbers, so I'm not sure what suing the school district in your own city over something they can't control is supposed to accomplish. Anyone know anything else about this?

Mayors and governors and poo poo are getting tons of pressure to open up schools now that the CDC has said that it can be done safely based on like 4 or 5 super flawed/limited studies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Great, some idiot LA council dude used the SF suit to sue the LA school district

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Admiral Ray posted:

Mayors and governors and poo poo are getting tons of pressure to open up schools now that the CDC has said that it can be done safely based on like 4 or 5 super flawed/limited studies.

Yep, my parents live in Chicago and their mayor Lori Lightfoot went from insane COVID warrior who personally drove around in her car with a megaphone and yelled at people she saw on the street congregating in groups or not wearing masks, to trying to openly bust the Chicago Teacher's Union because they refused to reopen by Feb 1st.