Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Isn't Steel Path slower by virtue of number being so much bigger, or have people found sufficient optimization to speed that all up too? It got introduced between the last time I was playing and now, so no clue what's the deal over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Isn't Steel Path slower by virtue of number being so much bigger, or have people found sufficient optimization to speed that all up too? It got introduced between the last time I was playing and now, so no clue what's the deal over there.

It's a touch slower, but you eventually find the tools to snap it in half. Just have to really optimize your poo poo. My go-to weapon for Steel Path is the Convectrix, so it's not like you need high-tier poo poo, just need to know what you're doing. Xaku's really powerful for it, Wisp is super durable, and status weapons are definitely preferred for Grineer. I've had good luck with really high-crit gear with Corpus and Infested, too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ok I love Lavos so, so much. As an Inaros Sicko I like having durable frames and am used to having a 1 that heals and opens people up to finishers, but Lavos is like, what if you actually built Inaros into a frame with abilities you'll ever use (and indeed, use frequently!). The self-sufficiency between his 1 and 3 are incredible, the dash on his 2 makes me feel like baby Gauss, and even the 4 is just enough area-nuking to keep me engaged in Defense/Survival maps. Add in the elemental combinations and playing my first ever Condition Overload melee, and this guy absolutely rules.

I also really enjoy Lavos mainly because of how active he feels compared to most other frames where you either spam one skill or just turn on a buff and ignore everything else. Like yeah Mesa is ridiculously powerful but it barely feels like you're even playing a game most of the time. That said, he is kind of hampered by most of the status effects being worthless or actively detrimental, dash's damage is kind of hard to hit with, and his damage just feels kind of overall low. I'm still throwing formas into him though, and he even would benefit decently from some umbras.

Needs better helmets too, but those are probably a long way away.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SP sucks, it's only worth doing for Teshin's Kuva and Umbra forma. The dailies are the only way you'll find a group for anything. Pick Baruuk, poo poo on everything effortlessly.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

ffs. I just spent an hour doing all 36 orphixes with the lovely prisma dual decurions, and at the end of it not only are they they still rank 9, which I'm pretty sure they were at the start, but it's only given me a paltry 2000 phasic cells. Something hosed up there, I reckon.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah and that's why at the end of the day I still love, love Warframe but I'd love it more if there was a mode or optional mission type that changed up the formula a bit.

The problem with that is they would have to either make yet another entirely new game inside of Warframe to make it work at all, since none of the game's current mechanics lend itself to a more methodical game mode. Otherwise, if they just made it a side mission as part of regular Warframe, you'd end up with a Payday 2 loud vs stealth situation where the mechanics of the game and of the mission are diametrically opposed and you can't help one without hurting the other.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wouldn't mind more multi-stage missions like Assault, personally.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pipski posted:

ffs. I just spent an hour doing all 36 orphixes with the lovely prisma dual decurions, and at the end of it not only are they they still rank 9, which I'm pretty sure they were at the start, but it's only given me a paltry 2000 phasic cells. Something hosed up there, I reckon.

The affinity is a bug, the cells are not. Unless you do some coordinated sentient grinding you're going to cap out around 2000-2200 cells per 36 orphix run.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Inzombiac posted:

This may be unpopular but I'd really like a version of this game that was slower. I've got a thousand hours in and the speed at which things happen is bananas.

I mean it was that, and a lot of the old maps still try to enforce it with wacky killboxes, but as soon as someone finds an exploit to move faster then everyone is moving faster. I like the lack of sponges and slow movement specifically because that's how every other game does it. Trying to do anything in Warframe while taking 30+ minutes to complete a map would be a nightmare.

Isn't Steel Path slower by virtue of number being so much bigger, or have people found sufficient optimization to speed that all up too?

It was optimized pretty much immediately, although there was some weird multi-hour farming bit in the middle that I missed. There's still two hell nodes (Bugalyst and the Deimos boss) but the rest you can cheese pretty easily.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Echophonic posted:

I wouldn't mind more multi-stage missions like Assault, personally.

I love Assault and want way more mission types like it but also I love Steel Path so my judgement may be questionable

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

The problem with that is they would have to either make yet another entirely new game inside of Warframe to make it work at all, since none of the game's current mechanics lend itself to a more methodical game mode. Otherwise, if they just made it a side mission as part of regular Warframe, you'd end up with a Payday 2 loud vs stealth situation where the mechanics of the game and of the mission are diametrically opposed and you can't help one without hurting the other.

We'll never go back, but... in some ways, the old coptering movement mechanic produced better gameplay. You could speed through the "running" segments, but had to slow down to kill stuff (in part because magic was also more limited back then). As a bonus, speed mods meant something in practice.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Inzombiac posted:

This may be unpopular but I'd really like a version of this game that was slower. I've got a thousand hours in and the speed at which things happen is bananas.
I've been New-Account roleplaying occasionally if i want a short change of pace. Regular (nonfashioned) excal and a basic bullet gun, i personally like the aklex. Hop into an early node with newer players on it.
Rules of not being a massive rear end in a top hat are: 1. don't be top damage or top kills. Don't killsteal mobs they're targeting (also goes for bosses until it's obvious they're not progressing). 2. Generally be in the same tile or behind them. 3. Help them open lockers if that's what they're doing. 4. No spoilermode or ability spam besides light CC or support.
Bonus if you can help them show the way through a spy vault or really confusing tile or something but generally let them lead the way.

Basically pretend this is a normal non-insane videogame for just a little bit - It's pretty funny how much that playstyle actually reminds me of Mass Effect games ages ago. So if you don't feel like limiting yourself and want the game to do it for you those could be worth reinstalling?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2021

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Do nightwave creds not carry over? I thought they did, kinda miffed I lost 280 creds. drat.

Also spore ephemera looks cool

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
They never have, ever, and that's why people usually make such a big deal about pointing out the end date.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You still have your nightwave creds! You can only sell them for regular credits though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'd like a slower mode of Warframe but only specific missions. Sometimes, fighting hordes gets old.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

New mission type: Oops All Noxes

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Also known as the Daikyu haver nut station.

I like to occasionally pop back in the early nodes and play in my MR0 excal cosplay like I used to back when i hadn't really paid attention in the tutorial and wasn't bullet jumping at mach 1 all the time and thought that crouching actually did less noise or something, sneak around crates and pop enemies in the head from behind with a paris prime or braton vandal instead of just blasting five rooms in two seconds.

Then I do a Steel Path exterm at max speed because I ended up optimizing loadouts thanks to it. It's really fun once you get in the mindset that it's about beating the game down so that the level and durability buff could just as well not exist. (Doesn't apply in mobdef or def, those damage outputs aren't loving around with those objectives.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly I think they could do some cool stuff by heading back in the original direction of Warframe as a kind of sci-fi horror stealth shooter, just for the occasional mission or optional event. 99% of the time unless they locked down frame powers or whatever people would just Ivara it but it'd be nice to have lying around for when you're in the mood for something different. You can just do that on some map mission types now but further support'd be neat.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Orv posted:

Honestly I think they could do some cool stuff by heading back in the original direction of Warframe as a kind of sci-fi horror stealth shooter, just for the occasional mission or optional event. 99% of the time unless they locked down frame powers or whatever people would just Ivara it but it'd be nice to have lying around for when you're in the mood for something different. You can just do that on some map mission types now but further support'd be neat.

play spy missions on solo, pick a frame you are bad at.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah like I said you can already kind of do that sort of thing anyway and most people wouldn't be interested so it's not worth doing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
You can ardently refuse to use any powers or mobility, equip a Braton, and enjoy this wonderful new game mode right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sheesh nevermind, that is violence.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I love basically everything about it except that most content is blazing through stages as killframes melt absolutely everything. It makes it feel like you're not actually doing anything.

Like a version where you're actually traversing the system in a ship as a space pirate, boarding enemy vessels and taking them out for their sweet prizes. A Warframe where stealth is actually a real option and not "Take Loki and ignore 90% of the map."

Games like these are super good of you love numbers 2 go up but I've never been concerned about optimal builds or TTK or whatever. I just want sweet space ninja action that feels more like Tenchu and less like Dynasty Warriors.

I would love for that game to exist. Maybe even love for DE to make it, maybe a side outlet for their ideas that are bad for Warframe would help them out.

I wonder how much crowdfunding they could get for just (re?)making Dark Sector or whatever.

I will note that Warframe is not really about optimal builds or time to kill because almost everything is easy enough you aren't say, taking twice as long for being sub-optimal. And as a free-to-play eternal grind game how long it takes to achieve X rewards is a pretty big deal. (Also I start chafing at missions at 20mins and get tempted to alt-f4 at 30 because I'm bored.) So I'm pretty glad most of Warframe is easy so I can goof with dumb powers and bad guns if I want.

If you stay on public matchmaking it's sadly true that many missions will be turned into a walking sim by someone with an Ember or something just killing the whole map by walking past. So I do suggest swapping between public and invite only (and back) to intentionally change your experience.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tylana posted:

I would love for that game to exist. Maybe even love for DE to make it, maybe a side outlet for their ideas that are bad for Warframe would help them out.

I wonder how much crowdfunding they could get for just (re?)making Dark Sector or whatever.

I will note that Warframe is not really about optimal builds or time to kill because almost everything is easy enough you aren't say, taking twice as long for being sub-optimal. And as a free-to-play eternal grind game how long it takes to achieve X rewards is a pretty big deal. (Also I start chafing at missions at 20mins and get tempted to alt-f4 at 30 because I'm bored.) So I'm pretty glad most of Warframe is easy so I can goof with dumb powers and bad guns if I want.

If you stay on public matchmaking it's sadly true that many missions will be turned into a walking sim by someone with an Ember or something just killing the whole map by walking past. So I do suggest swapping between public and invite only (and back) to intentionally change your experience.

I always do quests solo, frequently more than once.

if you want a real challenge see how far you can take a defense mission solo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RFC2324 posted:

I always do quests solo, frequently more than once.

if you want a real challenge see how far you can take a defense mission solo

I play almost exclusively solo and DEF is my favorite mode. Fortunately Vauban and Protea are my top favorite frames.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Inzombiac posted:

I play almost exclusively solo and DEF is my favorite mode. Fortunately Vauban and Protea are my top favorite frames.

I just tried Vanuban about a week ago and am loving it. (I also play warframe as a solo game, it fills the niche of musou but with guns to play after work to decompress )

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
After not having played Ember since before her rework, I tried her out last weekend and :catstare:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Echophonic posted:

It's a touch slower, but you eventually find the tools to snap it in half. Just have to really optimize your poo poo. My go-to weapon for Steel Path is the Convectrix, so it's not like you need high-tier poo poo, just need to know what you're doing. Xaku's really powerful for it, Wisp is super durable, and status weapons are definitely preferred for Grineer. I've had good luck with really high-crit gear with Corpus and Infested, too.

My Quanta Vandal would be doing a lot better were it not for the -status duration on the riven :argh:

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

play spy missions on solo, pick a frame you are bad at.

after the first Nightwave I remember Rebecca mentioned completing a spy mission using only operator mode as a future NW objective, which could be pretty cool but never materialised. Maybe Duviri Paradox will bring operator based stealth missions...NW would still be a reasonable way to incentivise slower / stealthier / lower level gameplay as an occasional change of pace.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pipski posted:

Duviri Paradox

you know this might be the answer to "we want slower gameplay", where you have whole sections siloed off from "normal" warframe

I just hope they don't make them mandatory

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Kesper North posted:

After not having played Ember since before her rework, I tried her out last weekend and :catstare:

New Ember is way better than old Ember. Anyone who says otherwise is just salty they can't just press 4 and bullet jump through early missions anymore.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

skaianDestiny posted:

New Ember is way better than old Ember. Anyone who says otherwise is just salty they can't just press 4 and bullet jump through early missions anymore.

Too true. Same goes for Old/New Saryn. One-button-wonders are boring as hell.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kesper North posted:

New Ember showed up about the same time Grendel did, so I got to watch her demolish all three of his missions with ease, without mods. She's good.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Try putting wisp's 3 on her. I have a build with that on and it loving slaps.

Actually wisp 3 works great on a lot of room clearing frames, since it's a huge damage multiplier. I should break out my ol wubwub banshee and gently caress around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean if you want to play "Warframe but slow and crappy and basically just worse in every way" we just had an entire event focused on using Necramechs. :haw:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

Try putting wisp's 3 on her. I have a build with that on and it loving slaps.

Actually wisp 3 works great on a lot of room clearing frames, since it's a huge damage multiplier. I should break out my ol wubwub banshee and gently caress around.

Wisp's 3 is so under appreciated.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Me in regular missions now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sRU8yrcEu8

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Gotta have the Chrono Trigger Lavos battle themes playing on loop if you're playing as Lavos :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Orv posted:

I just want the "darkness" modifier to be around more often. Not everywhere of course since it'll wear out its welcome quickly, but i think i've seen it in like 2 anniversary alerts total in the last 3 years, and it really emphasizes the flashy weapon/ability particle effects everywhere.

Pipski posted:

after the first Nightwave I remember Rebecca mentioned completing a spy mission using only operator mode as a future NW objective, which could be pretty cool but never materialised. Maybe Duviri Paradox will bring operator based stealth missions..
I think that never made the cut because if you deplete your hp you "warp" back into your frame that's idling at the starting tile, so the "challenge" mostly translates into a lot of boring frustrating "back"-tracking. But maybe something like spoiler-only vault tiles (similar to orphix venoms bubbles) might be more doable.