Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, not among the affected.

Americans in Bumfuck, Kentucky were certain the target list was like
1. WTC
2. Pentagon
3. White House
4. Their local school or fast food place or whatever passes for a landmark around there

So, define affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, not among the affected.

I've heard that 9/11 had been spreading since November of the previous year, so if you ever felt warm or dizzy anytime in 2001 or late 2000 you probably already had it.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Remember when 0.0000012% of America's population died in Benghazi and Republicans completely lost their poo poo for several years?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Orange Devil posted:

1. WTC
2. Pentagon
3. White House
4. Their local school or fast food place or whatever passes for a landmark around there

So, define affected.

People in small towns had been primed to believe this poo poo from years of terrible movies like Red Dawn and (even worse) Invasion USA, which have really lurid scenes of terrorists randomly attacking random malls and gas stations. Invasion USA has an especially gross tonal contrast between scenes of random terror attacks deliberately intended to whip up right wing fear and a quippy unstoppable Chuck Norris supersoldier who foils each plot after a bunch of people have already been killed in each case.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Didn't help that shows like 24 kept people in a state of constant fear. The show was used as evidence in a loving Supreme Court case by Scalia.
https://www.theatlantic.com/daily-dish/archive/2007/06/scalia-and-torture/227548/

The Atlantic posted:

"Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia said. Then, recalling Season 2, where the agent's rough interrogation tactics saved California from a terrorist nuke, the Supreme Court judge etched a line in the sand.

"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so

"So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes."

There's a great video by Jon Bois on the show 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

1. WTC
2. Pentagon
3. White House

So, define affected.

Small suburban elementary schools sent home notices that their teachers were "watching the skies for any errant planes" shortly after. It was insanity.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mentioning 24 and Scalia reminds me of how Sean Hannity chickened out of being waterboarded.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mentioning 24 and Scalia reminds me of how Sean Hannity chickened out of being waterboarded.

Hell, Kaitlin Olson was waterboarded for real for an episode of "It's Always Sunny". In fact, while I was Googling to fact-check that, I found out she even had a broken back at the time :eyepop:
https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/news/a33029/kaitlin-olson-sunny-interview/ (towards the end)

Olson is more of a bad-rear end than Scalia, Hannity, and Bauer combined

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
24 also has a black prez getting shot repeated. weird.

also lol at that actress whose screen time was half "dead body" and rip Jos.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

Hell, Kaitlin Olson was waterboarded for real for an episode of "It's Always Sunny". In fact, while I was Googling to fact-check that, I found out she even had a broken back at the time :eyepop:
https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/news/a33029/kaitlin-olson-sunny-interview/ (towards the end)

Aluminum monster? More like aluminum beast I'm so sorry

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

Even loving Hitchens got boarded and changed his mind after. Unfortunately there was no equally easy way to make him realize how dumb he was about his other garbage opinions that contributed to mass death and suffering.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His works on this earth were continued by his even worse anti-masker brother.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just finished that Jon Bois video about 24 and now I know Rush Limbaugh sexually harassed one of the actresses from that show, it's hard to imagine how Rush could become an even bigger piece of poo poo to me but that did it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
24 was dumb as hell, but also super fun up until season 6 or so. Like it wanted to be serious gritty political drama, but would have amnesia, mountain lions, and all sorts of ludicrous bullshit. That it ended up being cited in the supreme court is a national disgrace, but the Fark threads sure were fun back in the day.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I had to take an ethics class sometime in 2002 or 2003 and boy it was just packed full of people who had seen 24 and decided you just had to torture everyone until you knew where the bomb was.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Even if it isn't torture, that violence sure is fetishized. I think SVU's Detective Stabler probably threw people into fences and walls so often that the SAG gave him a loyalty card

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just finished that Jon Bois video about 24 and now I know Rush Limbaugh sexually harassed one of the actresses from that show, it's hard to imagine how Rush could become an even bigger piece of poo poo to me but that did it.

IIRC, Scalia never referenced it in any of his written opinions. He just attended some talk where he was jerking himself off about how they needed to protect the Jack Bauer's of the world and let them torture to their hearts content.

Ambitious Spider posted:

24 was dumb as hell, but also super fun up until season 6 or so. Like it wanted to be serious gritty political drama, but would have amnesia, mountain lions, and all sorts of ludicrous bullshit. That it ended up being cited in the supreme court is a national disgrace, but the Fark threads sure were fun back in the day.

It really was. It was the first weekly drama series that I obsessively watched as it aired but yeah after the sixth season, it tanked. I debate rewatching it every once in awhile but always decide against when I remember how dated it was even in 2006.

Ashcans posted:

I had to take an ethics class sometime in 2002 or 2003 and boy it was just packed full of people who had seen 24 and decided you just had to torture everyone until you knew where the bomb was.
God even after the Senate torture report came out, people were still openly defending it well into the Obama era. I took a class on military law and treaties, and when torture inevitably came up, you still had a handful of idiots going on and on about how torture really worked. What was really :smith: was we had a guy in our class that was a former interrogator and he was telling these idiots his first hand experience was that torture didn't work. He told us more often than not the best way to find out info beyond "where is bomb?" (like who built it, who financed it, etc) was to just treat detainees like human beings and find out why they resorted to terrorism or w/e. I remember him saying most of the time it was sectarian violence and as soon as the possibility that they could move their families to a different part of Iraq or even another country came up, guys would tell them everything they wanted to know. No torture necessary.

And you still had idiots in that class going "nahh, just waterboard them". Thankfully I think most of them ended up dropping the class anyways because it wasn't "America, gently caress yeah!" like they expected it to be. Still.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
some guy makes the rounds every 9/11 to say the same thing.

"so before the CIA came in we had pretty good intell, it took weeks or months, but whatever cant give us the silent treatment forever, then the CIA came in and everything went to poo poo."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There's a whole line of critique of thought experiment use and the terrible "experimental philosophy" movement on this subject. I think the term "intuition pumps" is a good thing to google to get into it, iirc.

Orange Devil posted:

1. WTC
2. Pentagon
3. White House

So, define affected.

This was a pretty universal response, a result of seeing the second attack happen live, by surprise, especially in groups. It basically primed everyone, hard, for unseen threats.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Orange Devil posted:

So, define affected.

Well, for the purposes of my joke, which I thought was self evident but apparently not, I was going with:

the people on the planes
The people in the WTC
the people in the pentagon

Which I feel comfortable saying was significantly less than that 98% survival rate we were talking about.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, for the purposes of my joke, which I thought was self evident but apparently not, I was going with:

the people on the planes
The people in the WTC
the people in the pentagon

Which I feel comfortable saying was significantly less than that 98% survival rate we were talking about.

The point of the original comparison is that to get a 99.8% number you have to include people who haven't even been infected, ie the entire population of America. Which is why they did the same thing with 9/11

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Racism. Solved. Checkmate, libs.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If only we could compare the relative prevalence of the two, and the relative severity of consequences

Alas we cannot and can only therefore assume they are equivalent

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Medullah posted:

Hey, advice from a fellow white guy:

Don't be a loving racist, and they won't accuse you of being racist.

Hope it helps!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

Hope it helps!

Expecting me to extend the same basic level of human decency to everyone regardless of race sex sexuality or gender? Hmmm how's it feel to be so ultra cucked Hmmm?????

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

I think that's more speaking lines than Franklin had in all the movies and TV shows combined.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

J.A.B.C. posted:

Hope it helps!

"Oh that's what YOU think! You can be accused of racism by ANYONE for ANYTHING!"

This has been a slightly paraphrased response I get from chuds when I mention people facing repercussions for being openly racist. It starts with them going "well what if everything you worked for got taken away because people said you were racist?" me responding with "I don't worry about that because I'm not a dumb racist who says dumb poo poo" and then they ultimately arrive at my original quote.

Like most things for those types, it's probably projection. They assume people are just going around accusing people of racism to be petty and vindictive because that's exactly what they'd try to do. In fact there are current examples that fit perfectly like Candace Owens or Diamond and Silk. People will declare racism because people didn't like them even though it's been clearly expressed that what people really hate is their ideas and personalities. Alternatively, to them the thought of being "taken down" because of racism seems eerily realistic because they internally realize that they do/say racist poo poo literally all the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
It's the same thing with the people who think people who make false rape accusations deserve the same punishment as actual rapists. You point out how the number of actual convictions for rape is disturbingly small, and ask how the hell is it even an issue to be falsely accused enough for it to negatively affect your life? The accuser would be taking an enormous risk that the accusation might not get substantiated and have it backfire on them anyway. This came up a lot in the Kavanaugh confirmation.

And from what I've heard, the vast majority of people that were falsely accused of rape (and were truly innocent) didn't face any lasting damage to their reputation or careers. Generally the few people that really do get railroaded tend to be minorities or otherwise lacking the privileges a well off white guy has.

Of course the hand wringers aren't worried about some black teenager getting falsely accused of rape they are worried that their well heeled privileged white rear end might get held accountable. And it's another example of projection in my opinion, because I feel like the main group of men really worried about getting framed for something like this are probably pulling at least borderline poo poo already with women.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Grimdude posted:

"Oh that's what YOU think! You can be accused of racism by ANYONE for ANYTHING!"

This has been a slightly paraphrased response I get from chuds when I mention people facing repercussions for being openly racist. It starts with them going "well what if everything you worked for got taken away because people said you were racist?" me responding with "I don't worry about that because I'm not a dumb racist who says dumb poo poo" and then they ultimately arrive at my original quote.

Like most things for those types, it's probably projection. They assume people are just going around accusing people of racism to be petty and vindictive because that's exactly what they'd try to do. In fact there are current examples that fit perfectly like Candace Owens or Diamond and Silk. People will declare racism because people didn't like them even though it's been clearly expressed that what people really hate is their ideas and personalities. Alternatively, to them the thought of being "taken down" because of racism seems eerily realistic because they internally realize that they do/say racist poo poo literally all the time.

One of the core issues is that white people have been inundated with the idea that racism = the KKK. This leads to any criticism of a white person's behavior regarding race interpreted as being an accusation of bigotry to that degree. I'm white af from the suburbs. I was raised with a bunch of racist ideas from my family, school, and community. I have worked hard to get rid of them, but I'm sure I will still gently caress up at some point and get checked by a black person on something. Thats good, because I will then improve.

Lots of white people cannot handle that at all. There is no distinction or nuance between engaging in a racist behavior and being an outright bigoted monster. Its loving infuriating.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Panfilo posted:

It's the same thing with the people who think people who make false rape accusations deserve the same punishment as actual rapists. You point out how the number of actual convictions for rape is disturbingly small, and ask how the hell is it even an issue to be falsely accused enough for it to negatively affect your life? The accuser would be taking an enormous risk that the accusation might not get substantiated and have it backfire on them anyway. This came up a lot in the Kavanaugh confirmation.

And from what I've heard, the vast majority of people that were falsely accused of rape (and were truly innocent) didn't face any lasting damage to their reputation or careers. Generally the few people that really do get railroaded tend to be minorities or otherwise lacking the privileges a well off white guy has.

Of course the hand wringers aren't worried about some black teenager getting falsely accused of rape they are worried that their well heeled privileged white rear end might get held accountable. And it's another example of projection in my opinion, because I feel like the main group of men really worried about getting framed for something like this are probably pulling at least borderline poo poo already with women.

We do already have charges revolving around filing a false police report, so that is basically already a law that just needs to be enforced.

Idk about "the same punishment", but the issues tend to be around whether the accusation was done with provable, intentional malice that goes beyond just a lack of evidence. Especially, as you noted, when it comes to minority defendants. The primary issue is, again, white people can get away with anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also these people seem to think that "making false rape accusations" means "the accused gets found not guilty of rape (or the charges are dropped, or it never even gets to court due to insufficient evidence, etc.)"

The idea that there's a wide gulf where the accused isn't found slam dunk guilty of rape but there's no way that it's even more likely than not that the accusation was false doesn't seem to occur to them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was thinking back to when I was in the Navy and there was an overall fear of being falsely accused of rape.

Looking back, I think what really happened was there was a sexual assault, the perpetrator was a mid-ranked enlisted (E5 or E6, in charge of 5-10 people) and was probably married.

The military justice system has some serious flaws. The victim's accusations threatened to ruin the career and life of a trusted member of the crew, and leave his family in financial peril. There had to be a lot of pressure on the victim to recant their statements.

But the only parts of this story that get passed around is that a hard working sailor almost had his life ruined by a liar.

At the same time, if someone did get kicked out for sexual assault, you probably wouldn't hear much about it unless you worked in their department.

I assume the same goes for "false accusations" of racism. You probably hear a lot on the grapevine about people getting their careers ruined over nothing, and very little about reasonable consequences for inappropriate behavior.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Also these people seem to think that "making false rape accusations" means "the accused gets found not guilty of rape (or the charges are dropped, or it never even gets to court due to insufficient evidence, etc.)"

The idea that there's a wide gulf where the accused isn't found slam dunk guilty of rape but there's no way that it's even more likely than not that the accusation was false doesn't seem to occur to them.

Truth.

To them "believe all women" means that the man automatically goes to jail for being guilty because a woman said so instead of "Let's investigate this crime and not call her a slut"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Guavanaut posted:

That sentence is really hard to parse, but it's not easy to say it any better than that.

Therein lies the problem.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

One of the core issues is that white people have been inundated with the idea that racism = the KKK. This leads to any criticism of a white person's behavior regarding race interpreted as being an accusation of bigotry to that degree. I'm white af from the suburbs. I was raised with a bunch of racist ideas from my family, school, and community. I have worked hard to get rid of them, but I'm sure I will still gently caress up at some point and get checked by a black person on something. Thats good, because I will then improve.

Lots of white people cannot handle that at all. There is no distinction or nuance between engaging in a racist behavior and being an outright bigoted monster. Its loving infuriating.

Don't forget essentialisation. Being a racist = being a bad, evil person. Being accused of having said or done something racist = being a racist. So there's no room for nuance or apologies or growth. It's a line that once you cross you are permanently terrible, and they don't consider themselves terrible, so it's inconceivable they ever cross that line. It doesn't help that these are the same people who don't believe in a rehabilitative justice system because they fundamentally see the world as consisting of good and evil people and evil can never become good, good might only be able to reveal itself as having been evil all along.

The healthy attitude is the one you express, where your ego allows for you being called out on having exhibit some racist behaviour, and then taking that as an opportunity to correct that behaviour and grow to become a(n even) better person. Which is like, all anyone ever asks people to do.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoTapir posted:

That sentence is really hard to parse, but it's not easy to say it any better than that.

Therein lies the problem.
I blame crime detective shows with reliable narrators and all the facts available. Maybe the easier way to put it is "is you can't prove the crime beyond reasonable doubt but you can't prove the complaint was a lie beyond reasonable doubt then what then huh?" but that doesn't quite illustrate the nuance or the chilling effect of going too far on suspected 'false claims'.

Speaking of very comprehensible forwards

quote:

Wanna see how you magically stop a glow ball spinning. I'll make it very simple, all the evidence of my calculations are in the pictures on my profile.

This is all based on the Glow ball model and round or flat, it's a SOLID object so cannot spin at different speeds on different latitudes, however much many people now wish it could. It's time to break your cognitive dissonance and this is so simple a person with the IQ of a snowball should understand it.

Speed is measured in miles per hour and so is it's distance, in other words 100 miles an hour says you travel a 100 miles in 1 hour.

The Earth at it's fattest or the Equator is supposedly 24,901 say 24,000 miles around it's Circumference. 1 revolution of the Earth takes 24 hours, so it's supposed to spin about 1,000 MPH or 1 hour is a Thousand Miles.

If it spins at 1,000 MPH at the Equator it MUST be the same speed over the whole Global Glow Ball, that's obvious. The same City on the same latitude and same time time Zone either Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere or at the Equator MUST spin at the same speed. Just put 3 stickers on a model globe, North, South and Middle at the same longitude and they will all spin around at the same time in a line as they are fixed positions.

At my latitude the Earth is 10,000 Miles in Circumference, and still takes 24 hours for 1 revolution. That means if it spins at 1,000 MPH it only takes 10 hours for 1 revolution? So what happened to the other 14 hours? it takes 24 hours for 1 revolution. So that means it can't be spinning at 1000 mph it must be spinning at
10,000÷24=416.6666666666 mph.

If it's only spinning at 416 mph so that it matches 24 hours at my latitude then it can't be spinning at 1000mph at the Equator so it matches 24 hours. That's simple mathematics. If it was spinning at 416 mph it would take nearly 58 hours to complete 1 revolution at the Equator. Unless the Northern Hemisphere spins slower than the Equator, yep that's what the lunatics tell you. Nope it's impossiball. 1 day, 1 revolution, 1 speed, 1 night, 1 day and 1 times 24 hours, all over their fake glow ball, top middle and bottom.

That proves the calculation of the earth's spin is a lie, I can now get it to stop.

5,000 miles circumference at 1 revolution of 24 hours is a speed of 208 mph that's 5,000÷24=208.3333333333 mph

1000 miles circumference as the glow ball gets smaller is 1,000÷24=41.6666666666mph as it MUST still take 24 hours for 1 revolution. So now it's only spinning at 41mph nearly stopped.

100 miles circumference 4.1666666666 mph
4 miles per hour wow from 1000 mph to 4

At the top or north pole it still must take 24 hours to make 1 revolution.

1 mile circumference around the top it's not even going 1mph it's 1÷24=0.041666666666

Now at the top imagine it still has to spin as fast as the equator which is 1000 mph wow you would be spinning like mad.
But no because at 0 miles circumference the exact speed you would be turning at is 0 because 0÷24=0 yep that's right ZERO you wouldn't be spinning because the freaking Earth doesn't spin and it's not a Global GLOW BALL. If it's not spinning at the top, it's not spinning at the Equator and it's not spinning in the southern Hemisphere.

How do I know it's only 10,000 miles at my latitude, that's because on the same latitude on the opposite side of a glow ball is Petropavlovsk in Kamchatka, which is exactly 12 hours ahead and also 5,000 miles away, to get there and back to my original position I would have to travel 10,000 miles whether it's a glow ball or flat it is still a round trip.

That's how you stop elite Satanic Illuminati Mason's magically Spinning glow balls and their well spun webs of lies. That's right with the motionless, flat out truth, it's that easy.

Wanna know why you have a cone shaped pyramid tree with a star on top for Christmas! Look down from the top of it, splat it flat and it becomes a disc with a North Polar Star in the middle. Magic. Oh and HOURS SAYS HORUS.
:mason:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

that idiot posted:

Grade 9 trigonometry was too hard for me.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

quote:

Speed is measured in miles per hour and so is it's distance

I'm sold.